ADVERTISEMENT

Day After Positives and Negatives

I’d like to see more screens and sweeps too for Kemp, hill or Coleman
Probably won't see a lot of screens with this line. To run successfully you've got to have linemen that can move well in space & get out ahead of the play. This crew does NOT.

Reactions: king_kong_
The OL is run blocking better. Pass blocking is a cover-your-eyes-or-cringe experience.
Definitely the right of the oline is better at run blocking. I am curious if Teddy P is still nursing an injury i think would be upgrade from Cochran. I see him on Banhart side of the line was just curious why that is happening.

Biggest pro is that they play like a B1G team

Under Frost, it felt like you needed a score every drive to maintain momentum

Feels different this year. Obviously a td is ideal, but a drive that picks up a few first downs on the ground is positive in that it wears down the opposing teams defense and puts the opposing offense under pressure to get greedy.

This is textbook Wisconsin/Iowa ball.

Biggest pro is that they play like a B1G team

Under Frost, it felt like you needed a score every drive to maintain momentum

Feels different this year. Obviously a td is ideal, but a drive that picks up a few first downs on the ground is positive in that it wears down the opposing teams defense and puts the opposing offense under pressure to get greedy.

This is textbook Wisconsin/Iowa ball.
Although I mostly agree and this is a nitpick. But Wisconsin under Bielma's peak offensive play calling (2010 - 2011 season) would try to destroy you on big pass plays once you came down to stop the run. While they lovedddd running the ball. They were not totally conservative about it.

Don’t you remember how much everyone complained that SF teams ran so many WR screens/ bubble screens not to mention to start the game with..
That is 100 % correct many of these same fans pissed off about using bubble screens in last few years are now pissed that they dont

That is 100 % correct many of these same fans pissed off about using bubble screens in last few years are now pissed that they dont
The issues fans had with Frost swing passes: 1) the QB would commonly throw the pass backwards, leading to numerous idiotic turnovers, 2) the intended receivers were commonly TEs not named Travis Kelce…

The issues fans had with Frost swing passes: 1) the QB would commonly throw the pass backwards, leading to numerous idiotic turnovers, 2) the intended receivers were commonly TEs not named Travis Kelce…
So who do you suggest that they throw the bubble screens to on this team?

Positives:

1) Haarberg: Wow. Considering our first two games, his arrival has been a joy. Like any new qb, there are things to work on, but really love what he is doing.

2) Fidone: There were times where I wondered if he would ever arrive, but now that he has I am really pleased. Big, fast, sure handed target.

3) Grant: This guy was finding tiny holes that didn’t seem to exist and breaking away. Awesome rb.

4) Tony White and our whole defense: Really no negatives with any aspect of this. They didn’t get help from the offense the first two games, but what this crew is doing so far is amazing.

5) Buschini: Doing awesome. This guy is going to make a huge difference in field position battles with our defense.

Concerns (negatives seemed harsh):

1) O line: With their run blocking and pass blocking issues I recalled the line from the Bobs in Office Space: “What would you say you do here?”

2) WR: Not sure who is going to be the primary threat here. No one has really emerged and there have been drops too.

3) Field goals: We looked a little shaky here though the fake was beautiful.
Some of that is his blocking ability. So far our WRs are having trouble getting open it seems.
Have you seen the Washington Husky WRs? They are big, fast and physical. I think it is going to be eye opening for BIG fans when the Dawgs join the conference next year. Deboer and his OC Ryan Grubb run a very dynamic offense.

Former Husker Will Nixon playing RB has contributed to 121 yards rushing and has caught 6 passes this season for the Huskies. Casey Rogers ran for a big first down on a fake punt in Oregon's game against CU. I don't remember Frost playing Nixon at all. Besides wanting to win why did Rogers leave? Wasn't he getting playing time? Seems to me the Huskers could use both these guys.

Reactions: oldjar07
Have you seen the Washington Husky WRs? They are big, fast and physical. I think it is going to be eye opening for BIG fans when the Dawgs join the conference next year. Deboer and his OC Ryan Grubb run a very dynamic offense.

Former Husker Will Nixon playing RB has contributed to 121 yards rushing and has caught 6 passes this season for the Huskies. Casey Rogers ran for a big first down on a fake punt in Oregon's game against CU. I don't remember Frost playing Nixon at all. Besides wanting to win why did Rogers leave? Wasn't he getting playing time? Seems to me the Huskers could use both these guys.
Frost is gone...

Why doesn’t McGuire catch any blame @ WR? When you get to this level of football, it shouldn’t be OJT

Lots of excuses but he’s not doing much to leave anyone impressed. He’s in over his head
Not defending McGuire, but the OL doesn't give HH enough time to go through his progressions. Watching game film, you could see receivers open, but HH is locked into Kemp and Fidone. Also Washington had an important throw that he dropped.

Definitely the right of the oline is better at run blocking. I am curious if Teddy P is still nursing an injury i think would be upgrade from Cochran. I see him on Banhart side of the line was just curious why that is happening.

I know everyone has a different opinion of PFF grades. But they had Corcoran at a 52.1 on 68 snaps, and Teddy P at a 91.4 on 13 snaps. Teddy's grade was by far our highest on offense.

They would have a chance against teams like Indiana and Northwestern.
prior to our win on Saturday, La Tech was riding a 3 game winning streak over B1G opponents

none were against indiana or northwestern

they swept illinois (including scoring 54 points against them at their place) and beat mich st. one of those wins was in a bowl game.

this type of success is very common for G5 teams against our conference

Please explain to me how a glaring lack of talent is his fault. You have a average guy in Washington. A keebler elf with no breakaway speed and a walkon with no experience. It's no a excuse, it's a fact. This isn't a video game . I wonder if Iowa fans had discussions about this , as they rarely have good receivers. Losing Castaneda, and Betts were huge . We got one guy who can stretch the field. Now you have to have a rookie QB to get it to him and a miserable Oline to give him time. Reality sucks and I can't phantom how some of you think it's a coaches fault.
our offense is measurably WORSE than the last 5 years. A lot worse. Just wanted to point that out to anyone still drinking y'all's Rhule-Aid...

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Not just last game but all year, open field tackling, running to the ball and just wrapping up. Years and years of whiffs and guys going for the highlight hit and giving you big chunks was our Achilles heel. IMO the biggest improvement, Rhule said origami is going to be down to the fundamentals and is plan is underway.

we averaged 28 points/game in 2019
23.1 points/game in 2020
27.1 points/game in 2021
22.6 points/game last year

current unit behind Haarberg is averaging 31.5 points/game
....and that number will drop like a stone starting Saturday. Be surprised if we average 14 going forward.

....and that number will drop like a stone starting Saturday. Be surprised if we average 14 going forward.
why such a negative outlook?

you poop your pants or something?

we don't play anyone after this week

Reactions: headcard
why such a negative outlook?

you poop your pants or something?

we don't play anyone after this week
Have you seen our O-Line? There's no 'coaching them better'. Most of them have peaked from a talent standpoint.

It's Monday, our team still sucks, and we're gonna get DECIMATED in conference play. And no I have NOT pooped my pants yet today.

Will never love another football program. Always and forever. But I'm loving our fan base less and less as the years go by, because we're just too conservative to embrace the concept of buying players.

just gonna toss this in here again, for fun...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Have you seen our O-Line? There's no 'coaching them better'. Most of them have peaked from a talent standpoint.

It's Monday, our team still sucks, and we're gonna get DECIMATED in conference play. And no I have NOT pooped my pants yet today.

Will never love another football program. Always and forever. But I'm loving our fan base less and less as the years go by, because we're just too conservative to embrace the concept of buying players.

noted.

worth mentioning that link is to "valuation", not dollars cleared by those players. there's a slight (gigantic) difference.

I look forward to rubbing your nose in this opinion not too long from now.

noted.

worth mentioning that link is to "valuation", not dollars cleared by those players. there's a slight (gigantic) difference.

I look forward to rubbing your nose in this opinion not too long from now.
Hope I'm wrong, and will gladly take a good ol' fashioned nose-rubbing.

And we understand the difference, it's just that there's no better metric with which to measure who's spending what... doesn't change the fact that WE'RE NOWHERE, on that list. Zero athletes in the top 100 NIL valuations are playin football for Nebraska. Think it's pretty telling, IMHO. Name a better reason for the state of our football program?

Hope I'm wrong, and will gladly take a good ol' fashioned nose-rubbing.

And we understand the difference, it's just that there's no better metric with which to measure who's spending what... doesn't change the fact that WE'RE NOWHERE, on that list. Zero athletes in the top 100 NIL valuations are playin football for Nebraska. Think it's pretty telling, IMHO. Name a better reason for the state of our football program?
I don't think you truly hope you're wrong

that statement goes against your very hardwiring as a human

some have said that same thing here before, and it's clear they did not, in fact, hope they were wrong

you will be the same. the goalposts will move until you can defend your stance as "right".

our offense is measurably WORSE than the last 5 years. A lot worse. Just wanted to point that out to anyone still drinking y'all's Rhule-Aid...
When did Frost ever have a Husker team ranked in the top ten rushing teams in the nation??

You're speaking without context and it's a fallacy. But continue your crusade...

Reactions: Huzkers25

Tongue Goat GIF

I don't think you truly hope you're wrong

that statement goes against your very hardwiring as a human

some have said that same thing here before, and it's clear they did not, in fact, hope they were wrong

you will be the same. the goalposts will move until you can defend your stance as "right".
I'll own being wrong. Was wrong about Haarberg. Was wrong about our defense improving as much as they visibly have. Was wrong eating Indian food that'd been left out too long over the weekend, and am very conscious of that poor decision as we speak.

My point has been and will continue to be that if we're not at least matching the $$ being paid to elite talent that most consistently good programs currently ARE, we simply cannot expect to get THAT much better. A standard deviation maybe with better coaching, but not on the happy side of the ol' bell curve. And we'll never have Texas Money, but other programs more on-par with our spending level are making OBVIOUS progress there, while we're getting left in the dust. People keep opining that we're on the cutting edge somehow of the whole NIL initiative - look at the f*cking numbers.

I'll own being wrong. Was wrong about Haarberg. Was wrong about our defense improving as much as they visibly have. Was wrong eating Indian food that'd been left out too long over the weekend, and am very conscious of that poor decision as we speak.

My point has been and will continue to be that if we're not at least matching the $$ being paid to elite talent that most consistently good programs currently ARE, we simply cannot expect to get THAT much better. A standard deviation maybe with better coaching, but not on the happy side of the ol' bell curve. And we'll never have Texas Money, but other programs more on-par with our spending level are making OBVIOUS progress there, while we're getting left in the dust. People keep opining that we're on the cutting edge somehow of the whole NIL initiative - look at the f*cking numbers.
wow

the pants pooping comment was oddly accurate, it seems.

I agree with you if we're going to compete for national titles we need to act like it.

Reactions: Walleye79
prior to our win on Saturday, La Tech was riding a 3 game winning streak over B1G opponents

none were against indiana or northwestern

they swept illinois (including scoring 54 points against them at their place) and beat mich st. one of those wins was in a bowl game.

this type of success is very common for G5 teams against our conference
Fresno State over Purdue was another example, although Fresno State blasted Arizona State as well.

Reactions: king_kong_
wow

the pants pooping comment was oddly accurate, it seems.

I agree with you if we're going to compete for national titles we need to act like it.
Only shitstains are in my (thankfully private) office pooper, or in the states of Cali or NY. All shitstains.

Offense is not good but at least Satterfield is on board with at least trying to win games. I'm convinced Whipple was going to throw the ball even if it meant exposing the D and losing games. We are halfway to our 2022 win total.

Offense is not good but at least Satterfield is on board with at least trying to win games. I'm convinced Whipple was going to throw the ball even if it meant exposing the D and losing games. We are halfway to our 2022 win total.
NU is one better through 4 games than last year, on a trajectory for six wins. Keep building the run game.

My hunch is that Haarberg’s accuracy would improve with adequate protection.
I expect we might see a lot more motion this week, similar to what we did against CU. It just gives the defense more to think about and buys you a little bit more time. I think we got a punchers chance, but the margins are slim.

we're also halfway to our 2023 win total :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT