ADVERTISEMENT

David Sanders 5 star OT 8-17 decision date

Minnesota? Come on.

So if we just run the clock out and lose in OT, you wouldn’t be talking about what a shitty decision that was, and how you have to play to win?
It was the decision to give the ball to Grant late in the game that I’m referring to - when they knew that Grant had problems fumbling the ball.

Minnesota? Come on.

So if we just run the clock out and lose in OT, you wouldn’t be talking about what a shitty decision that was, and how you have to play to win?
No.

If we give the ball to EJ instead of Grant, who Rhule acknowledged had fumble-itis the week leading up to the game and literally said wouldn’t play if he hadn’t fixed the issue, in the 4th quarter we win.

Not to mention EJ was the better player all along.

But, again, it was too loud there (not fair!) so maybe it’s not appropriate to take him at his word or judge that particular game-altering screwup.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
First off, I hope Coach Rhule and staff know they are the reason we did not go bowling last year. They must take that blame and get better as coaches. Something arrogant Scott Frost never learned how to do.
Now, if this was Matt Rhule's 1st or 2nd year as a head coach, I'd probably excuse it but it's not. It was his 11th year as a head coach. 11th.
Let's just hope all of the coaches worked at being better coaches during the off-season.

believe this is his 13th year as a high-level head coach

maybe it takes 20 years of experience to understand how the clock works?

15 to know guys who fumble in practice will fumble in games?

Apparently it does take 12 full seasons to understand college football stadiums can get loud
I am glad I am not the only one who thought Rhule’s comments about how loud college stadiums are totally bizarre. The dude coached at two colleges before. So he forgot about the noise?? And indeed it is true that the same guys fumbling in games were fumbling in practice. Which is why I am taking with a grain of salt recent coach’s comments about “you fumble you don’t play.”

Reactions: king_kong_
I am glad I am not the only one who thought Rhule’s comments about how loud college stadiums are totally bizarre. The dude coached at two colleges before. So he forgot about the noise?? And indeed it is true that the same guys fumbling in games were fumbling in practice. Which is why I am taking with a grain of salt recent coach’s comments about “you fumble you don’t play.”
Well I'm sure Temple home and away wasn't very loud. Baylor probably the same way. I remember listening to the radio vs Baylor and the radio guys saying how strange eerie the vibe was there. Doesn't surprise me that it's a lot louder at NU home and away

he also credited a loud Metlife Stadium as a factor for his Panthers getting beat by the Giants, so it's not just college atmospheres that throw him for a loop, apparently

taking the coach at his word is a recipe for being called a "bad fan" or a "troll" or "someone pushing a narrative" here, so the grains of salt are requisite

as for the fumbles, the staff appear to be taking it very, very seriously. punishment is severe:

No.

If we give the ball to EJ instead of Grant, who Rhule acknowledged had fumble-itis the week leading up to the game and literally said wouldn’t play if he hadn’t fixed the issue, in the 4th quarter we win.

But, again, it was too loud there (not fair!) so maybe it’s not appropriate to take him at his word or judge that particular game-altering screwup.

You sure have a way of bringing the blind dumb homers out of the woodwork.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
Sanders? I think Dylan, 1890 and NU made a great push, but I think he stays closer to home and goes to Tennessee.
boo-this-man-hat-throw-meme-original-3yef2rdtzuqxzrth.gif

• Love
Reactions: huntered
Well I'm sure Temple home and away wasn't very loud. Baylor probably the same way. I remember listening to the radio vs Baylor and the radio guys saying how strange eerie the vibe was there. Doesn't surprise me that it's a lot louder at NU home and away
Huh? You are aware that Baylor played road games at Texas, OU, Missouri etc… They played in some very loud and hostile road game environments. How could Rhule have forgotten that?
Rhule was not complaining about home games in Lincoln. He mentioned f$cking Minnesota and its 55,000 seat stadium as one of the intimidating venues he was not expecting. What a stupid comment for him to make.
I like Rhule. I think he is a good coach. But he has proven NOTHING at NU yet. Not a damn thing. So I am resisting all koolaid. And his clock management stank last year, his team was a turnover machine, and he went 5-7, losing games we should have won if he hadn’t misjudged the talent of Sims and did not aggressively seek to keep Thompson in the fold. And now he is claiming he had a learning curve where he needed to get used to loud road games. Say what?

I understand you being hesitant with Rhule, but things seem much different than the Frost and Riley short era’s..
Agreed. I don't think everything should be results based. How you go about doing things is the key? Rhule appears to be operating at a higher level than Frost and Riley. Unfortunately, bone headed mistakes by players can have a poor reflection on the coaches. Sometimes that is warranted. With Rhule, I don't believe it is.

Reactions: HuskerO and OzzyLvr
Huh? You are aware that Baylor played road games at Texas, OU, Missouri etc… They played in some very loud and hostile road game environments. How could Rhule have forgotten that?
Rhule was not complaining about home games in Lincoln. He mentioned f$cking Minnesota and its 55,000 seat stadium as one of the intimidating venues he was not expecting. What a stupid comment for him to make.
I like Rhule. I think he is a good coach. But he has proven NOTHING at NU yet. Not a damn thing. So I am resisting all koolaid. And his clock management stank last year, his team was a turnover machine, and he went 5-7, losing games we should have won if he hadn’t misjudged the talent of Sims and did not aggressively seek to keep Thompson in the fold. And now he is claiming he had a learning curve where he needed to get used to loud road games. Say what?

He just said he was surprised how loud it was at Minnesota and Colorado. What is the big deal? He wasn’t making excuses or saying it was unfair or anything like that.

Only someone looking for something to grip about would latch onto this as an issue (I’m not talking about you).

IMO - Just because Casey left doesn’t mean the staff didn’t try to keep him. If Casey asked to be the guaranteed starter and Rhule couldn’t promise that and told him he would need to compete for it and he rolled out?

IMO - Just because Casey left doesn’t mean the staff didn’t try to keep him. If Casey asked to be the guaranteed starter and Rhule couldn’t promise that and told him he would need to compete for it and he rolled out?
And we don't know if Casey would have done much better or lasted past a few games, being injured last year

Reactions: OzzyLvr
he went 5-7, losing games we should have won if he hadn’t misjudged the talent of Sims and did not aggressively seek to keep Thompson in the fold. And now he is claiming he had a learning curve where he needed to get used to loud road games. Say what?
Geez. Skill players were dropping like flies on offense last year and you're calling out Rhule for not going after a guy coming off his second surgery in a year who also wasn't going to be able to practice until August? And then he stayed healthy for two weeks of practice and three games before blowing up a knee.

Yes but do you really think Baylor would get the reaction that NU gets?? Most b1g stadiums are bigger than the current big12 stadiums.

I think opponents still put a red circle around NU

Not everything. I am totally on board with almost everything so far, and I mean everything: culture, staffing, Memorial Stadium grass, recruiting, press conferences, S&C, modifications to the new facility to be more like pro football, nutrition staff, hard-nosed practices, and about a hundred other things.

But.........it remains to be seen whether Rhule can stop turnovers, whether Rhule can not play favorites with under-performing players (Sims), and whether his in-game decisions can improve (the weakest part of the Rhule tenure so far is he doesn't seem to be a very good gameday coach.).
How do you quantify those items you listed in the first paragraph? How do you or we know they are true? Just because some reporter said so? How many other schools do the same things or even more? As Nebraska fans, we chose to believe the biggest and the best as we have been fed. Pennsy is right to be pessimistic because nothing is proven. It is all theoretical and on paper until it projects on the field in the form of wins first and then players in the NFL.

I understand you being hesitant with Rhule, but things seem much different than the Frost and Riley short era’s..

Pretty sure about the whole fan base thought SF was the guy till he proved himself and his staff weren't..

If it’s between the VOLS and Nebraska, I feel Dylan is the reason why he decides on Nebraska..
He may end up at Nebraska in the end because of Dylan. But On August 17th he is saying Tennessee.

No.

I remember we took a Satterfield in that one because he thought Grant was due to break one. Something we didn't need to happen to win the game.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
First off, I hope Coach Rhule and staff know they are the reason we did not go bowling last year. They must take that blame and get better as coaches. Something arrogant Scott Frost never learned how to do.
Now, if this was Matt Rhule's 1st or 2nd year as a head coach, I'd probably excuse it but it's not. It was his 11th year as a head coach. 11th.
Let's just hope all of the coaches worked at being better coaches during the off-season.
Maybe Rhule & Co were the reason why we even won 5 games 🤷‍♂️

How do you quantify those items you listed in the first paragraph? How do you or we know they are true? Just because some reporter said so? How many other schools do the same things or even more? As Nebraska fans, we chose to believe the biggest and the best as we have been fed. Pennsy is right to be pessimistic because nothing is proven. It is all theoretical and on paper until it projects on the field in the form of wins first and then players in the NFL.
I'm not sure I can "quantify" anything I "perceive" as being better with this staff. So for instance S&C, I don't have reams of testing data at my fingertips, but the linemen do not "appear" to have bellies like before. I can't quantify hard-nosed practices, but Frost rarely tackled to the ground and practice/scrimmage videos show this staff does. I can't quantify press conferences being "better", but I like how Rhule has a vision that is clearly articulated in terms of factors such as being positionless, the most important thing being a player thinking he was better for being here, one percent better each day, etc; as opposed to a guy coming out with a dip in his jaw and in a somewhat distracted manor spewing coachspeak.

My point in all that was there is (for me) a lot to like about this staff, but they made (IMO) some poor on field decisions starting at MN. I was at that game and NU just scored by pounding the rock down the field and got a defensive stop. The Gopher fans were whipped, the Gopher players were whipped and everybody expected NU to run for a few first downs and finish the game. So quite naturally Nebraska came out and threw three straight passes. Even Mrs. Huskerwed who doesn't know much about football asked me why the hell they did that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT