ADVERTISEMENT

Darrion Daniels - Grad Transfer

Some irony here. When we recruited Darrion’s little brother, there was lots of speculation he would follow his big brother to Okie Lite.

Surely having big brother around will elevate Damion’s play, too. A big win win for us.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Some irony here. When we recruited Darrion’s little brother, there was lots of speculation he would follow his big brother to Okie Lite.

Surely having big brother around will elevate Damion’s play, too. A big win win for us.

Oh yeah! I remember that! Excellent point, too. And from everything Stoltenberg used to say, Daniels was trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible because he really wants to be "the guy" at NT. Adding in his older brother for a year will only help his development into a big ol' hoss going forward.

Well our defense looked like it belonged in the big 12 so he should fit in nicely.
OSU's 2017 defensive stats (when Darrion was a full-time starter):
29.4 ppg allowed
140.7 ypg rushing
3.6 yards per attempt rushing
409.3 total ypg
1.8 turnovers per game

NU's 2018 defensive stats:
31.3 ppg allowed
195.8 ypg rushing
5.0 yards per attempt rushing
433.6 total yards per game
1.7 turnovers per game

That's a significant difference in yards per rushing attempt. Hopefully DD was a big part of that for OSU in 2017.

Okie Lite runs a 4-3, so he isn't really a true NT. NU's personnel on the DL fits a 4-3 front better, but I doubt Chin will go to that front.
Maybe he IS a 3-4 nose and didn't really fit the 4-3 all that well. I have never understood the hangup on 20 pounds on the position for a D linemen. You don't think Suh could have played the nose at NU if Bo had run a 3-4? His younger brother is probably our best option at NT except for his conditioning. Bring on the big Bro and let them split reps.

Having a guy like this in the middle and being able to keep Carlos at DE is huge.

NT: Daniels, Daniels, Fair
DE: Carlos, Thomas, Neal
DE: Kahlil, Stille, Rodgers
Might want to list Fair first in that lineup. In any case it will be nice to have some options there. They'll all play a lot.

Reactions: jeans15
Maybe he IS a 3-4 nose and didn't really fit the 4-3 all that well. I have never understood the hangup on 20 pounds on the position for a D linemen. You don't think Suh could have played the nose at NU if Bo had run a 3-4? His younger brother is probably our best option at NT except for his conditioning. Bring on the big Bro and let them split reps.
Hope this is the case. A couple of years Wisconsin played the Sheehy kid at NT and he played at just under 300 lbs. Daniels and Davis - double your football playing pleasure!

I fear the light is burned out, broken and rusted onto the socket.

Could be, but an entire off-season awaits him, and Duval, and a chance at redemption.

Honestly, you pencil in the same guys on the DL for 3, 4 years in a row, you are likely to get the same result. Duval can't build Hercules, and I'd rather be optimistic about a new body in this scheme than the same ol', same ol'

Reactions: TennesseeHusker75
There are only 2 or 3 NTs in the NFL that play at heavier than 310 lbs. The vast majority are less than 310.

Could be, but an entire off-season awaits him, and Duval, and a chance at redemption.

Honestly, you pencil in the same guys on the DL for 3, 4 years in a row, you are likely to get the same result. Duval can't build Hercules, and I'd rather be optimistic about a new body in this scheme than the same ol', same ol'

Gotta disagree. They've only been under Duval for <11 months. I think there are still some decent gains to be made in S&C on this team.

Might want to list Fair first in that lineup. In any case it will be nice to have some options there. They'll all play a lot.
You think Fair will be #1? I would have to give the nod to the guy that has done it on the D1 level already.

Is a talent, and if healthy, could be the best DL on the team next year. Played as a true frosh, but has had bad luck on the injury front. Missed the final three games last season and had a season ending finger injury this year. Nice pickup.
https://okstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3866
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3919607/year/2017/darrion-daniels

I'm wondering if he had designs on playing with his little brother well before the 4th game rolled around. How often does a guy on the DLine sit with a pinky injury?

I'm wondering if he had designs on playing with his little brother well before the 4th game rolled around. How often does a guy on the DLine sit with a pinky injury?
Thought the same thing. Maybe the set on the break was tricky and he didn't want to spend the rest of his life with a gnarled finger.

The most impressive thing is that it's clear these coaches are actively seeking to build a championship roster for 2019.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Gotta disagree. They've only been under Duval for <11 months. I think there are still some decent gains to be made in S&C on this team.

What you need for S&C development are numbers and youth. Players emerge.

These guys will get better, but don't expect a big jump, IMO

I'm referring to the guys who have played a lot on the DL in this post.

How many years did SUH play dline before he nearly won a heisman...3......do you remember how good SUH was in September 2008....vs. December 2009....a year can make a HUGE difference for DTs...actually maybe the position that requires the most development, even for studs.

I’ll go to war with that..... now get some OLB’s that can get to QB!!!

A rare breed, hybrid/DE OLB with elite pass rushing skills.

Saban, Dabo and Co. are all over them like white on rice, regardless of the scheme, these guys end up #1 draft choices in the NFL. Tough to recruit.

If he can get to the quarterback, it's what this defense needs.

How is he going to "get to the QB" in a 3-4 as a NT?

Not his job, his responsibility, or his mandate. Even Wilfork didn't get a ton of sacks, if ever.

Here's my favorite 3-4 NT ever at Nebraska (hypothetically speaking).

Patrick "MoFo" Kabongo

JPTKZXMEADVQVON.20040105205054.jpg

Hope this is the case. A couple of years Wisconsin played the Sheehy kid at NT and he played at just under 300 lbs. Daniels and Davis - double your football playing pleasure!
“Quadruple D” Line

Having a guy like this in the middle and being able to keep Carlos at DE is huge.

NT: Daniels, Daniels, Fair
DE: Carlos, Thomas, Neal
DE: Kahlil, Stille, Rodgers

Agree with the NT depth chart.

Hope it's Stille and Neal at DE.

GBR

How is he going to "get to the QB" in a 3-4 as a NT?

Not his job, his responsibility, or his mandate. Even Wilfork didn't get a ton of sacks, if ever.

Here's my favorite 3-4 NT ever at Nebraska (hypothetically speaking).

Patrick "MoFo" Kabongo

JPTKZXMEADVQVON.20040105205054.jpg

Just "getting to the QB" means to disrupt the offensive line in someway. Do whatever it takes to put pressure on the offensive line and maybe if he's lucky enough to sack the QB or get a TFL.

Something is better than nothing.

Just "getting to the QB" means to disrupt the offensive line in someway. Do whatever it takes to put pressure on the offensive line and maybe if he's lucky enough to sack the QB or get a TFL.

Something is better than nothing.

They double-teamed Kabongo, that much I can assure you...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT