ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Holgorson

He was the OC/QB coach at Okie State in 2010. The Cowboys scored a lot of points that season and their only two losses were in shootouts to NU and OU. The guy has been operating at a high level in college football offenses for nearly 15 years.
But how many brain cells has he killed in that time? :)

I would find out what Holgorsen wants to do and make it work. If he wants to be the OC/QB coach at Nebraska then I think you bring him in and let him cook. Satterfield seems like Rhule's long-term guy, but he has to realize Holgorsen is at another level and he should take the opportunity to learn if he wants to be great someday.

On the other hand, maybe Holgorsen just wants to be an analyst, or a part-time consultant, or even a one-time consultant on some specific issue(s), with an eye towards returning to head coaching sooner rather than later. In that case you take what you can get and you are still better off.
I come from a completely different mindset of coaching. Either you have it or you don't.

Granted Satterfield was hamstrung last year due to the lousy QB play compounded by their huge turnovers. You can have the right play callled and just lack the talent of the QB to put the ball in the right place resulting in a costly turnover. Maybe that QB can make that throw in practice, just not when the bright lights or the game is on the line.

Once he got Rattler on the right page (and good luck with that) South Carolina really rolled on offense. Its likely with the new young guns they're just gonna be able to place the ball more accurately than what we've recently had at QB.

Now, having said that, Satterfield is 47 years old, he's not a young pup. The really good ones show themselves to be really good at really young ages. Lincon and Garrett Riley were in their 20's and early 30's and calling plays. They find ways to move the ball. Kendall Briles is another yound guy who can find a way to put points on the board.

When TO was young, early 30's, he found ways for NU to score a lot of points on almost everyone, save Oklahoma with their dynamite defenses. Nobody else was moving the ball on the Sooners either. When their DL is whipping your OL every snap, it severly limits what you can try to get done.

I think Satterfield can be a good offensive coordinator, but those types lack the creative minds those young OC's seem to have.

It's like when Pelini was our DC. Early on NU was very strong defensively, especially with his coverage schemes that confused so many QB's. As time went on, teams started to get that concept down, and Pelini's defenses started to get lit up. Pelini had one way of doing things, and when it was time to change that strategy, he came up empty.

I'm afraid Satterfield is in that same mold. And I hope the hell I'm wrong, cause he's Rhule's boy so I'm rooting for him.

yeah Rhule hired an old yes man instead
Holgorson was going to be one of those staff analysts NOT an assistant coach. If you mean Davis was hired instead, he was already locked in before Dana was discussed but just not announced until after the Pittsburgh season was ended. The analyst role probably had something to do with his severance contract terminology I'd guess.

yeah Rhule hired an old yes man instead
Dana was never going to be a full time assistant.Rhule had Glen Thomas locked in before the signing day in December.he talked to both Raiola and McCord the OSU transfer that went to Syracuse. They couldn’t announce it until the Pittsburgh season was over. But OP like you that are either a troll or an idiot have posts like this.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Holgorson was going to be one of those staff analysts NOT an assistant coach. If you mean Davis was hired instead, he was already locked in before Dana was discussed but just not announced until after the Pittsburgh season was ended. The analyst role probably had something to do with his severance contract terminology I'd guess.
Davis? Do you mean Glenn Thomas?

I come from a completely different mindset of coaching. Either you have it or you don't.

Granted Satterfield was hamstrung last year due to the lousy QB play compounded by their huge turnovers. You can have the right play callled and just lack the talent of the QB to put the ball in the right place resulting in a costly turnover. Maybe that QB can make that throw in practice, just not when the bright lights or the game is on the line.

Once he got Rattler on the right page (and good luck with that) South Carolina really rolled on offense. Its likely with the new young guns they're just gonna be able to place the ball more accurately than what we've recently had at QB.

Now, having said that, Satterfield is 47 years old, he's not a young pup. The really good ones show themselves to be really good at really young ages. Lincon and Garrett Riley were in their 20's and early 30's and calling plays. They find ways to move the ball. Kendall Briles is another yound guy who can find a way to put points on the board.

When TO was young, early 30's, he found ways for NU to score a lot of points on almost everyone, save Oklahoma with their dynamite defenses. Nobody else was moving the ball on the Sooners either. When their DL is whipping your OL every snap, it severly limits what you can try to get done.

I think Satterfield can be a good offensive coordinator, but those types lack the creative minds those young OC's seem to have.

It's like when Pelini was our DC. Early on NU was very strong defensively, especially with his coverage schemes that confused so many QB's. As time went on, teams started to get that concept down, and Pelini's defenses started to get lit up. Pelini had one way of doing things, and when it was time to change that strategy, he came up empty.

I'm afraid Satterfield is in that same mold. And I hope the hell I'm wrong, cause he's Rhule's boy so I'm rooting for him.
Maybe it was coach speak - but Rhule specifically said during the season that we were running an offense that was not necessarily what Satt or him wanted but it was an offense they felt gave us the best chance to win. I’m holding out hope as we get more weapons to run how they want we will see a much different picture this year and next.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Maybe it was coach speak - but Rhule specifically said during the season that we were running an offense that was not necessarily what Satt or him wanted but it was an offense they felt gave us the best chance to win. I’m holding out hope as we get more weapons to run how they want we will see a much different picture this year and next.
They want to run pro set offense. We just couldn’t do that with Sims and HH .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT