ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Altman

Dana's time at KSU and Oregon do not show that he would do better than Fred, IMO. Fred hasn't won yet at NU, but he did well at ISU. Dana was great at Creighton while they were in the MVC where he could win a non-P5 conference championship and an upset win in the tournament. I just don't think he'd be an upgrade.

Dana's time at KSU and Oregon do not show that he would do better than Fred, IMO. Fred hasn't won yet at NU, but he did well at ISU. Dana was great at Creighton while they were in the MVC where he could win a non-P5 conference championship and an upset win in the tournament. I just don't think he'd be an upgrade.
Among the dumber opinions I’ve ever seen

Dana Altman took oregon to the final four

Only way hat rack hoiberg gets there is if he buys a ticket

Dana isn't John Wooden but he's taken Oregon to the tournament 8 out of 13 years at Oregon. Eight appearances equals the entirety of Oregon's existence prior to him taking that job.

He has the best coaching record of anyone in their history. Never won less than 20 games, has appeared in a tournament all thirteen of his years. Twice won 30 plus games. He has averaged a pretty impressive 24.6 wins per year. By contrast our coach has averaged 10 wins per year.

Yep, that guy blows. Fred is his equal.

Dana isn't John Wooden but he's taken Oregon to the tournament 8 out of 13 years at Oregon. Eight appearances equals the entirety of Oregon's existence prior to him taking that job.

He has the best coaching record of anyone in their history. Never won less than 20 games, has appeared in a tournament all thirteen of his years. Twice won 30 plus games. He has averaged a pretty impressive 24.6 wins per year. By contrast our coach has averaged 10 wins per year.

Yep, that guy blows. Fred is his equal.
Fred's record at Iowa State was 115-56 (.673 win percentage), 4-4 in the NCAA Tournament. He hasn't had the same success in Lincoln, obviously. Both coaches are about .500 in the NCAA tournament.

You have to have a huge Fredrection to not think Dana would be, at the very least, a little bit better.

Reactions: headcard
You have to have a huge Fredrection to not think Dana would be, at the very least, a little bit better.
Is it worth the huge buyout for "at the very least, a little bit better"? Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I am not convinced that Fred is the answer. I just don't think DA is either

My sources tell me Dana is finalizing details to take over the SCC Beatrice program. He loves those JUCO dawgs!

• Haha
Reactions: Antwill
Is it worth the huge buyout for "at the very least, a little bit better"? Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I am not convinced that Fred is the answer. I just don't think DA is either
Yes.

Honestly, no fan should ever worry about the money. The school is not worried about your money.

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
Dude stop.. At P5 programs, Hoiberg has 53% winning %, Dana has 67%.. You can't not include his current record at Nebraska when looking at win %. Dana has gone to the sweet 16 more times than Fred has been in the tournament.. That includes 2 elite 8s and 1 final 4.. He would be much more than "a little bit better"

Altman is a better coach than Hoiberg, but I also feel Altman is past his prime, and doesn't seem to be succeeding in the NIL Age. I wish we had hired him 20 years ago, but I don't think he would be able to turn this dumpster around now.

The only way we're going to win is by hiring a stud recruiter and giving him a big NIL budget.

Any chance Trev puts out a feeler? Sounds like he is very discouraged by the lack of fan support at Oregon and says he'd be happy to go coach a juco team. We may not be a juco team, but we're closer to one than most P5 programs! 😜
He told Bill Moos he wasnt interested twice. So I think that ship has sailed long ago. Fan support in Eugene sucks and it's one of many reasons they won't ever be in the B1G even though they've been begging for a spot for some time.

The question here shouldn’t be is Dana a better coach than Fred because quite literally everyone is a better coach than Fred. Amazon is working on an AI program that would be better than Fred. No, the question is which of the millions of better options are we going to go with and how soon can they start?

My sources tell me Dana is finalizing details to take over the SCC Beatrice program. He loves those JUCO dawgs!
He did play for Fairbury Junior College which moved to Beatrice and became SCC. I actually went to school there for my first two years of college. We had some really good basketball teams when I was there. Larry Johnson was playing for Odessa, Texas and came up to Beatrice. He put 50 points up that night. Sounds like the basketball team may be moving to the Lincoln campus soon.

He told Bill Moos he wasnt interested twice. So I think that ship has sailed long ago. Fan support in Eugene sucks and it's one of many reasons they won't ever be in the B1G even though they've been begging for a spot for some time.

If lack of fan support matters, why did the Big Ten invite Rutgers and Maryland?

Yes.

Honestly, no fan should ever worry about the money. The school is not worried about your money.

It’s not about the fans worrying. I don’t think Trev is willing to eat another huge buyout right after Scott. But by all means, you and the other knuckleheads get your checkbooks out and pony up the money. Then maybe you will get your wish.

It’s not about the fans worrying. I don’t think Trev is willing to eat another huge buyout right after Scott. But by all means, you and the other knuckleheads get your checkbooks out and pony up the money. Then maybe you will get your wish.
Why would I pay for it?

If lack of fan support matters, why did the Big Ten invite Rutgers and Maryland?
Because of the television sets/viewers/alumni they bring. Check out the TV contract revenue in absolute dollars versus the ticket revenue of butts in the seats and the invitations to the BIG become clear.

Rutgers and Maryland have better fan bases. Bigger markets, Way bigger research funding (Oregon's research dollars are a joke). I know a lot of fans and people at UO are pushing them as the B1G's next members but from all the digging I've done on it. I dont think Oregon gets an invite to the B1G. Im terms of B1G wish list it starts and ends with Notre Dame at this point.

Reactions: Chuck003
He did play for Fairbury Junior College which moved to Beatrice and became SCC. I actually went to school there for my first two years of college. We had some really good basketball teams when I was there. Larry Johnson was playing for Odessa, Texas and came up to Beatrice. He put 50 points up that night. Sounds like the basketball team may be moving to the Lincoln campus soon.
Yep, I was aware. My wife works for SCC, I just attended the athletic banquet and the speaker was Les "Pee-Wee" Harrison that played for Fairbury JC and eventually the Globetrotters. He had a friend and teammate with him, didn't catch his name, that he said made 4 game winning buzzer shots their last season. Pretty sure Dana is coming back! Winking

Reactions: nudan92
That was 4 years ago when Moos approached him, I don’t ever recall Dana saying anything about fan support before this year,Never say Never.

Serously. Fred needs to be fired now. I am not sure why the Husker Homers ( and I am one of em) would even question this move.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Rutgers and Maryland have better fan bases. Bigger markets, Way bigger research funding (Oregon's research dollars are a joke). I know a lot of fans and people at UO are pushing them as the B1G's next members but from all the digging I've done on it. I dont think Oregon gets an invite to the B1G. Im terms of B1G wish list it starts and ends with Notre Dame at this point.
I suspect Washington and Oregon will be invited to the Big Ten - it would certainly make the move to the Big Ten more palatable to USC and UCLA if they weren't totally isolated on the West Coast and had two additional PAC 8 schools on the schedule.

Its all about the markets they bring-not game attendance. Hell the actual viewing isnt even a huge consideration especially if the conference already owns the game tv rights.
Unlike Nebraska-Oregon also gets bad tv ratings when they are playing non-ranked teams. Yes they draw when playing name teams like USC or tOSU but we already have those teams and that game!
Bottom line when the TV contracts are figured Oregon and Washington bring about 1/2 the additional revenue to the table that we are paying out to each team.
Rutgers and Maryland markets more than pays their way and both are worth double what Oregon is.

Oregon would not get a full revenue share in Big Ten

USA Today
https://trojanswire.usatoday.com › 2022/10/05 › form...

Oct 5, 2022 — A Fox Sports executive estimated Oregon's annual value at $30 million. Stanford's value was $45 million. How many people thought that was the ...

I
You had me until you started calling others knuckleheads. Otherwise I agree. Trev couldn’t reasonably ditch Fred unless he thought he had a sure fire winner to replace him. Not sure which one of those guys people think would take the NU job. IMO I think we’re better off sticking with Fred and trying to up our NIL game.

I heard on the radio this morning that Miami gave a transfer guard over 800k and that KSU has 9 transfers on their team.

Reactions: IowaHuskr
Nebraska’s financial team and leadership in the athletic department is either really good or really bad. If their goal is butts in seat and continue to stay in the black without regard to the product itself, they are killing it. They continue to show no real commitment to winning. You don’t give a 10 win coach an extension unless you think it makes sense financially. It doesn’t make sense from a win or loss prospective. What’s the point of trying to lock in something that’s not working on the court.

Fred hasn’t had a winning team in basketball since Obama was POTUS and that was a 42-40 2016 Bulls team that missed the playoffs. The guy has yet to prove he has it anymore.

The guys buyout today is $10MM. That’s $250k per win he has given to the program. Say it’s a build but creighton has taken 2 different teams to the sweet 16 since Fred’s been in Lincoln. And that’s 2 completely different teams the Jays have sent. Coach Mac has system that’s working in Omaha that looks beyond the current year. That includes redshirting players to develop to be better athletically in the future. Fred coaches day to day, year to year. He has no plan for the future. Has no system in place going in to year 5. And either the Department doesn’t recognize that or doesn’t care. And it’s possible they don’t care as long as the program remains in the black.

Nebraska’s financial team and leadership in the athletic department is either really good or really bad. If their goal is butts in seat and continue to stay in the black without regard to the product itself, they are killing it. They continue to show no real commitment to winning. You don’t give a 10 win coach an extension unless you think it makes sense financially. It doesn’t make sense from a win or loss prospective. What’s the point of trying to lock in something that’s not working on the court.

Fred hasn’t had a winning team in basketball since Obama was POTUS and that was a 42-40 2016 Bulls team that missed the playoffs. The guy has yet to prove he has it anymore.

The guys buyout today is $10MM. That’s $250k per win he has given to the program. Say it’s a build but creighton has taken 2 different teams to the sweet 16 since Fred’s been in Lincoln. And that’s 2 completely different teams the Jays have sent. Coach Mac has system that’s working in Omaha that looks beyond the current year. That includes redshirting players to develop to be better athletically in the future. Fred coaches day to day, year to year. He has no plan for the future. Has no system in place going in to year 5. And either the Department doesn’t recognize that or doesn’t care. And it’s possible they don’t care as long as the program remains in the black.
You can’t fire Fred unless you are confident you can land a better hire. Fred is very popular with the vast majority of Husker fans and boosters of substance.

• Haha
You can’t fire Fred unless you are confident you can land a better hire. Fred is very popular with the vast majority of Husker fans and boosters of substance.
Why? Are Husker fans going to jump ship if Fred’s fired? For all the glory he’s brought to the program? No way. Losing a coach that’s 18-61 in conference and 11th place finish being the highest in conference isnt exactly a risky move.

But it’s obviously not happening. They don’t want to spend the money. The Buy-out is too high and the cost of finding a replacement is too high with inflation. Financially best to ride the storm out for another year. Husker fans won’t leave. The stadium will still sell. I guess the hope for Fred is RS Llyod pays off and the guards carrying the team next year with Keita taking a major leap forward.

Next year has to be now or never for Fred if the program really wants to win. Otherwise more of the same old shit

Why? Are Husker fans going to jump ship if Fred’s fired? For all the glory he’s brought to the program? No way. Losing a coach that’s 18-61 in conference and 11th place finish being the highest in conference isnt exactly a risky move.

But it’s obviously not happening. They don’t want to spend the money. The Buy-out is too high and the cost of finding a replacement is too high with inflation. Financially best to ride the storm out for another year. Husker fans won’t leave. The stadium will still sell. I guess the hope for Fred is RS Llyod pays off and the guards carrying the team next year with Keita taking a major leap forward.

Next year has to be now or never for Fred if the program really wants to win. Otherwise more of the same old shit
You don’t blow 10 million to fire a popular coach unless You are POSITIVE you have a home run replacement. Who ya got? No sure fire winner head coach is taking the NU job. We have to step up our NIL game for basketball if we want to win no matter who the coach is. People are buying teams in public now.

• Haha
You don’t blow 10 million to fire a popular coach unless You are POSITIVE you have a home run replacement. Who ya got? No sure fire winner head coach is taking the NU job. We have to step up our NIL game for basketball if we want to win no matter who the coach is. People are buying teams in public now

Is there ever any guarantees in life. It’s easier to prove something isn’t working then something will work. We know Fred isn’t working in terms of wins and losses. But as long as the money come in, it’s not a problem. This is the exact same circumstance it was with Frost. People like you continued to support frost thru shit and put the program further in the hole with the narrative “guarantee we can find someone better”. But when it started to jeopardize the program financially, the university took action

This isn’t the way to live life. Stuck in a hole because you don’t think you can do better. It’s unhealthy.

You don’t blow 10 million to fire a popular coach unless You are POSITIVE you have a home run replacement. Who ya got? No sure fire winner head coach is taking the NU job. We have to step up our NIL game for basketball if we want to win no matter who the coach is. People are buying teams in public now.
On what planet is hoiberg and his .38 win percentage popular?

Guys got the personality of wet cardboard & loses like it’s going out of style

He won’t be forgotten because he’s hardly been noticed

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Last year I was hoping Alberts might show Fred the door and hire UCLA assistant Michael Lewis. Ball State hired Lewis instead, for about 1/10 of what Hoiberg makes. Won't be surprised to see him in a Power 6 conference job in 2-3 years.

This year it's clear that Hoiberg will be returning, so about all we can do is hope that he somehow turns the corner. It did look like he finally broke down and did some coaching this year, implementing an offense that was something beyond Hey-it's-my-turn-to-shoot.

It's just a shame that it took 3 1/2 seasons and some key injuries for it to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT