ADVERTISEMENT

COVID19 workers

Why should truck drivers, doctors, nurses, people who make food, police, firefighters, grocery store workers, quick shop workers be forced to work during this pandemic.

While some worry about the best Netflix series why should they work and get exposed.

It isn't fair. No doubt about that. But that just brings more importance to social distancing and flattening the curve. Not to overwhelm the hospitals. As of last week, 37 doctors in Italy had died of COVID 19. In our nation, those numbers will be far more.

Why is it that some people won't take a situation seriously until it is already too late?

Why should truck drivers, doctors, nurses, people who make food, police, firefighters, grocery store workers, quick shop workers be forced to work during this pandemic.

While some worry about the best Netflix series why should they work and get exposed.
Shut up n hug a farmer, in a socially distanced sorta way

Well, you should push for better wages for these people because they are all essential workers. I bet their bosses are working from home and making about 1000x more. In a conscientious world everyone outside of the health care workers would have fairly protective environments or could make them pretty protective. Wear glove, wear masks...there shouldn't even be quick stop workers...grocery stores should manage how many people come in, everybody needs a mask...and they should uptick delivery...no direct contact during deliveries. They do still have a job, and will still have a job in 4 months...everybody on unemployment is going to be looking for new work and that can be quite disruptive. A lot of people are going to be moving as they can't pay next months rent regardless of unemployment. I think a lot of people working might be scared but are grateful they still have the stability of their current job. I know if I had to choose to risk illness or start over after 13 years in my job...I would risk the illness.

Well, you should push for better wages for these people because they are all essential workers. I bet their bosses are working from home and making about 1000x more. In a conscientious world everyone outside of the health care workers would have fairly protective environments or could make them pretty protective. Wear glove, wear masks...there shouldn't even be quick stop workers...grocery stores should manage how many people come in, everybody needs a mask...and they should uptick delivery...no direct contact during deliveries. They do still have a job, and will still have a job in 4 months...everybody on unemployment is going to be looking for new work and that can be quite disruptive. A lot of people are going to be moving as they can't pay next months rent regardless of unemployment. I think a lot of people working might be scared but are grateful they still have the stability of their current job. I know if I had to choose to risk illness or start over after 13 years in my job...I would risk the illness.
Funny how important things get, mindsets change when we are out,or in need. Just learn to code?
No disrespect to anyone, but, no disrespect to anyone, and I'm thankful for all those on and not on the list.

Speaking as a person who is unfortunate to work in a Walmart I have to risk my life (I meet at least 4 criteria that put me at high risk) so people can buy essential items like Hot Wheels and trampolines. I've heard of this social distancing thing but here in Wyoming it's about as real as a jackalope. Our governor refuses to act because he says the people here know what to do even though we are ranked #50 for doing the right things. Meanwhile, Walmart wants as many people in the store as they can possibly get because, you know, money and the whole time they're preaching social distancing...

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Honestly, as much as I hate having to go in while many others don't, I'm extremely thankful to know that I have pretty solid job security no matter what direction things go. Working in corrections, and at the only juvenile detention home in our judicial circuit, things would have to be pretty insane for me to not have a job anymore.

The worst part for me though, working in such enclosed quarters, if ANYBODY brings it in it is going to run through the staff and residents like wildfire.

I'll add too, I think the normalcy of showing up for work like normal has helped keep me sane. My wife is having a hard time, even though she is still getting paid (she works as a speech therapist in the schools) and doing some work from home. It has hit her alot more than it has hit me.

Speaking as a person who is unfortunate to work in a Walmart I have to risk my life (I meet at least 4 criteria that put me at high risk) so people can buy essential items like Hot Wheels and trampolines. I've heard of this social distancing thing but here in Wyoming it's about as real as a jackalope. Our governor refuses to act because he says the people here know what to do even though we are ranked #50 for doing the right things. Meanwhile, Walmart wants as many people in the store as they can possibly get because, you know, money and the whole time they're preaching social distancing...
I saw a distance traveled map of the US. and at that time Wyoming had a 0% difference in average distance traveled by people in its state.

The same average distance traveled in Wyoming doesnt mean they encountered the same number of people. Gazelles don’t count

Thanks for your service

Tell that to instacart workers

Thanks for your service
I used to be a volunteer firefighter/EMT in 2 different towns in Nebraska. Those are the people who should be getting thanked. I'm not at Walmart through any sense of community service and if they would give me paid leave for the duration of this fiasco I'd be out of there in a heartbeat. I appreciate your sentiments but most of us would rather not be there.

I saw a distance traveled map of the US. and at that time Wyoming had a 0% difference in average distance traveled by people in its state.

And that means nothing. You don't have to travel to be irresponsible. People here, for the most part, simply refuse to stop socializing. Our store is like Black Friday on steroids every single day. 2 days ago I made a 360° turn in the produce section and counted 23 customers within 50 feet of me. 12 people in the nearly empty baking aisle. I never thought I would live to see people hoarding SPAM and top ramen. My store is the social center for several counties and nothing short of an order from our mamby pamby governor is going to change that.

Good god. Seriously? You submitted a question on a public message board seeking answers as to why doctors and nurses should be required to work during a deadly pandemic outbreak? You caught the stupid virus.

BTW, this is America - no one is "forced" to work. Any medical professional, public safety official, or food supply worker can decide to quit his/her job whenever they so choose.

I’d love it if I could stay home. Unfortunately there’s still a small percentage of the population who can’t follow the rules of society. And if this goes on much longer the people who have jobs that can’t work from home are going to start getting desperate.

Dont forget postal workers.

Without them in this crisis well... imagine not getting grandma's meds in the mail or the amazon orders. And in most cases they can't get the proper equipment or sanitizer either.

They're virtually guaranteed to get it in a lot of cases and they've got their issues too (a lot are over 50, quite a few are temporary/not "career", etc).

Why does everyone always forget about postal carriers when the crap hits the fan? Lol... I know kevin Costner's movie was utterly forgettable but ...

I’d love it if I could stay home. Unfortunately there’s still a small percentage of the population who can’t follow the rules of society. And if this goes on much longer the people who have jobs that can’t work from home are going to start getting desperate.
Let's hope this ends sooner rather than later

Reactions: newAD
My wife and I are catering lunch for the next two days for our kids daycare because they rotate teachers. We are using a local restaurant as well. Daycare teachers are very underappreciated for how much time they spend with our kids. We are lucky that they are open during this time as my wife and I are both considered essential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT