ADVERTISEMENT

For those in Dublin...

huskerdude88

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 8, 2005
Dallas, PA
Hey fellow husker brethren. I went to medical school in Dublin and made a running of list of things to do in Ireland and Dublin. Check some of these places out if you please and as always GBR!

Warm Regards,

Huskerdude88

Things to Do in Ireland:

1.) Day Trip to Cliffs of Mohr:

-Stay in Galway if you want to make this a two day trip. Cliffs of Mohr are really cool to see. I personally advise getting a tour from Dublin versus attempting to navigate out there yourself. It’ll be way easier and less hassle

2.) Day Trip to Giants Causeway

-This is another really cool trip. If you do the entire day you can do the rope bridge, see where they’ve shot some GOT scenes, and the causeway. This is miserable to do though in the rain so make sure it’s on a day where there is no rain.

Things to Do and See in Dublin:

1.) Guinness Factory

-I'd do this first and make sure you go to the bar on the top floor. It has a 360 degree view of the city and points out the national landmarks

2.) Irish Whiskey Museum

-I'm biased here. I haven't been to Jameson because I love this place so much. It walks you through the history of alcohol and how whiskey came to be in Ireland. It's a really cool tour that ends with tastings where a lot of people don't drink their whiskey so you can get drunk pretty easily.

3.) Trinity College

-Aka Hogwarts. The campus is gorgeous. Make sure to visit the library and see the book Kells. I haven't done it but they see it's pretty sweet.

4.) Dublin Castle, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and other churches

-I'm not a big church guy. There’s just too many in Europe. I haven't actually been to these places but I hear it's pretty cool.

5.) Jameson Factory

-You should do this if you’re never coming back to Ireland. I’ve personally not done it because like I said I think the Irish Whiskey Museum is way better.

6.) St. Stephen's Green & Grafton Street

-Definitely see this park. It's gorgeous and it's where the Irish fought the English for their independence
-Grafton Street is where shopping is done.

Food, Bars, and restaurants

Gravediggers

-Go Here. In my opinion best place to have a Guinness in Dublin. It’s on the northside of Dublin though so not a lot of tourists ever get up here. The bar is old. There are no televisions and it’s cash only.

Kehoe’s
-Also known to have a great Guinness. This is located around St. Stephen Green so you are likely to be around there. If you are around there check it out.

The Barge

-If it’s a sunny day head here for a pint. People will be sitting outside on the canal getting drunk. This should only be done though in the spring and summer. Grab beer at a SPAR, CENTRA, or TESCO and go down to the canal and drink.

The Church

-Only in Ireland would they convert an old church into a bar/restaurant. It’s pretty cool to check this out.

The Brazen Head

-Claims to be the oldest bar in Dublin. Pretty cool place to go have a pint.

JW Sweetmans

-Bar on O'Connell street that serves great fish and chips. It also has a real old school feel to it. Definitely check this place out.

Doyle's

-Bar right next to Trinity College. It's where all the Trinity students go. It's really old school so check it out when you visit Trinity and the Irish Whiskey Museum.

Hogan’s

-A mainstay for us medical students. This is a nice place to go at night. They have a dancing area downstairs and it’s a little bit classier than some of the other bars

The Jar

-Also more upscale. Very much like Hogan’s. This is a good place to go at night for drinks. Best Old Fashions in Dublin.

Sophie’s Rooftop Bar

-Super nice. Go here for a drink and enjoy the 360 view of Dublin. My advice is go during the week because it’ll be packed during the weekend. Also best to go when there’s sun. In the winter head there early to catch the sunset before dinner begins.

Flannery’s

-Definitely a late night place as in after 1AM type of place. There’s no cover and pretty good music. I’ve stumbled out of this place a couple of times.

The Globe

-Much like Flannery’s also a late night place. Head here after midnight. There’s no cover and a dance floor downstairs. On Friday, they have in my opinion one of the best DJ’s in Dublin playing. It’s all R&B and 90’s music.

Legg’s

-This is the spot where all healthcare people go to party. It something to be seen. It looks like a converted strip joint with tacky red carpeting. It’s free to get in but the drinks can be overpriced and shitty. Like they don’t actually make you a gin and tonic. It’s poured for you out of a can. Do not show up to this place before 1AM. Do show up to this place if you’re looking to meet single doctors and/or nurses.

Market Bar

-This place has small plates and it's in an old clothing factory. It's really good. Definitely check this place out. On a side note, that entire area around "market bar" is actually really nice to walk around so take advantage of it.

Bunsen

-If you want the best burger in Dublin. This is the place. There are like three places around Dublin. Find the nearest one and go. It’s really good.

The Stage Door Café

-I’ve never been but have heard they have the best Irish Coffee in Dublin and their breakfast is supposedly amazing.

Temple Bar Area

-The entire Temple Bar area is super touristy and expensive. Example a pint of Guinness is a standard 5 Euros across Dublin but at the Temple bar it's like 6 Euros. However, you should definitely check it out and that area. There are some other really old cool bars in that area.

Ranleagh Area

-A little further from town. You’ll have to take the Luas (Overground Train) to get there. It’s like 3 stops from St. Stephen’s Green heading south but it’s more “Ireland” and less touristy if you want to get a feel what its like to be a local. The bar to go to here is Taphouse. It’s one of my favorite bars in Dublin and it has a really good selection of beer and food. This is a place to go to before the night out.

Xico's, Dicey's, and Copper Face Jacks (10 Euro Entry on any given night)

-This is the nightclub life in Dublin. Xico's is a little bit classier than Dicey's and Coppers. If you go to Xico’s dress up. Justin Bieber partied here when he was in Dublin.

-Dicey's and Copper’s are right next to each other on Harcourt street. Dicey’s has a really nice outdoor area which is really cool if it’s not raining.

-Coppers is an institution. It's the hook up bar. The party doesn't really start until 1AM so don't get to these places until AFTER DINNER and multiple drinks. If you’re with me and we end up going here you won’t get home till 5AM.

Lastly, find a Centra and get a "chicken roll". It's so good and you won't regret it. It's what all students eat and it's amazing. Also, be sure to have a "Moojo" chocolate milk. Ireland's dairy is really good so anything that's dairy related should be tried.

I hope this helps.

If you have any questions:

-huskerdude88

Good stuff here. I didn’t hit all of those but did quite a few. Wouldn’t disagree with you on the list. If you’re trying to stay relatively close to Dublin & how much time you have, I’d think about going to Glendalough & the Wicklow mountains and/or the Rock of Cashel. Both are not terribly far. I could go on with a lot of different places but I’ll leave it at these two right now.

I read stories how the locals were complaining because it was hot....mid 70s SMH

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT