ADVERTISEMENT

CONFIRMED: Martinez day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this thread even allowed? The injury is presented as fact with no confirmation from anyone who actually knows

Why is this thread even allowed? The injury is presented as fact with no confirmation from anyone who actually knows

Good question, I thought the mods would have deleted this at some point and time yesterday with out any true source..

Let's just wait to see what Frost says in his Press Conference today (Monday).

Probably because it is fairly obvious to most people with a brain that it is all a bunch of speculation right now and most people know enough on this particular situation to just wait for Frost to provide the facts since it is such a high profile situation that can't be ignored.

I tried saying this in another thread and was called an "idiot".

Nope. You alluded that Martinez was soft and questioned whether he could handle Big 10 play. You did not say what you quoted. And no we dont need to recruit another QB. Next year it will be:

Martinez
Vedral
Bunch
McCaffrey will RS

I could be wrong but I thought the MRI was scheduled in a couple of days?
That's typically the way it goes if I recall correctly. You ice, wait to get swelling down, and then MRI a couple days after injury.
However technology changes and improves.

Let's just wait to see what Frost says in his Press Conference today (Monday).
Will be interesting how he addresses this. He acted like he doesn't like to be too forthcoming regarding injuries. Guess we'll see.

That's typically the way it goes if I recall correctly. You ice, wait to get swelling down, and then MRI a couple days after injury.
However technology changes and improves.

The OP may be correct but that was not what I was told regarding the MRI. Maybe he already had it and the results have only been released to a select few. Time will tell.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I hope it's nothing, but this highlights the risk of the big mobile QB taking shots. We've seen it for years with T. Martinez (the thinking man's Martinez, zing!) and T. Armstrong. You have to have a guy waiting in the wings ready to pick up and go when your guy gets taken down.

Right now we have Bunch. Next year, we have Bunch and Vedral with McCaffrey redshirting. After that, we have Smothers.

I'm not entirely sure we need an extra QB either, we're just a bit thin right now. After this year, when it matters most anyway, is when we get a much deeper roster.

Reactions: jeans15
If Martinez is done for the year or in a multi-game rehab situation, we will know. If that isn't the case, we may not.

The OP may be correct but that was not what I was told regarding the MRI. Maybe he already had it and the results have only been released to a select few. Time will tell.
Often times MRIs are used to confirm physical exam findings and the degree of severity of the injury. The manipulative tests at the time of injury are often pretty diagnostic. (I would be a little surprised if they hadn't already done the MRI). Any info anybody would have at this point is handed down second hand from either the training staff or the player or players themselves. I was watching the game on tv and my first impression was that it would be an MCL sprain. That jackass from CU that cranked on his leg has something coming. There's a possibility he wouldn't miss any time BUT even if doesn't he's going to be very prone to re-injury.

Often times MRIs are used to confirm physical exam findings and the degree of severity of the injury. The manipulative tests at the time of injury are often pretty diagnostic. (I would be a little surprised if they hadn't already done the MRI). Any info anybody would have at this point is handed down second hand from either the training staff or the player or players themselves. I was watching the game on tv and my first impression was that it would be an MCL sprain. That jackass from CU that cranked on his leg has something coming. There's a possibility he wouldn't miss any time BUT even if doesn't he's going to be very prone to re-injury.
I thought sprains especially healed 100% or close to it - The game plan may have to protect him for awhile but he will still be mobile if it is a sprain of course

Reading the tea leaves of the Sharpe & Benning first segment, they sound like they know it's not season-ending but they're trying not to scoop Frost and let him address it in his presser today.

Either way Martinez misses Troy, probably misses more games. A bad sprain or a partial tear is no walk in the park. It could still be months before he's right.

Oh and stop trying to make "2AM" happen. It's not going to happen.

They need 2 QBs in 2019. Period. They lost a scholarship QB and they didn't replace it with a scholarship QB. If Andrew Bunch goes and balls out and has that offense just rolling, looks like the next Baker Mayfield, we can talk. Until then, he's a walk-on and you need 4 QBs on scholarship. Those kids transfer too much to go, "Yep, 3 is plenty when one is a redshirt." That's not a plan.

I think CU players of old would tell you that's standard operating procedure and some NU players who make wore 55 or 95 might have done such things in the past...

I thought sprains especially healed 100% or close to it - The game plan may have to protect him for awhile but he will still be mobile if it is a sprain of course
An MCL can be extremely painful. A sprain is just a partial tear of the ligament. He very well could play right away BUT even a sprain makes you more prone to tearing the thing completely. The MCL and LCL are the major lateral stabilizing mechanism of the knee. Ligamentous tissue takes weeks if not months to heal. You'll probably see him braced up and playing if it's a sprain but it will dramatically change his mobility.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Reading the tea leaves of the Sharpe & Benning first segment, they sound like they know it's not season-ending but they're trying not to scoop Frost and let him address it in his presser today.

Either way Martinez misses Troy, probably misses more games. A bad sprain or a partial tear is no walk in the park. It could still be months before he's right.

Oh and stop trying to make "2AM" happen. It's not going to happen.

They need 2 QBs in 2019. Period. They lost a scholarship QB and they didn't replace it with a scholarship QB. If Andrew Bunch goes and balls out and has that offense just rolling, looks like the next Baker Mayfield, we can talk. Until then, he's a walk-on and you need 4 QBs on scholarship. Those kids transfer too much to go, "Yep, 3 is plenty when one is a redshirt." That's not a plan.
I think they hoped they could Vedral eligible and IMO they view Bunch as a guy who may be as good as lots of scholarship QBs and probably better than anybody else they could find late. IF you remember they did have some other offers out there but those guys didn't want to come when they got AM. I think they thought they could get through this year with AM and Gebbia with no problem and then Gebbia upset the apple cart. I expect us to have at least 4 scholarship QBs at all times going forward and I'll be surprised if there aren't a couple of walk ons as well. QB depth will get fixed this cycle. It was just part of the coaching turnover effect.

Reactions: jeans15
Honest question - if a strain is a partial tear of a ligament, does the ligament heal by fusing itself back together? Sorry if that is a stupid question, but even when I hear partial tear I’m thinking it would require surgery to reattach the part that is torn.

Forgive me, I’m not a doctor and have never blown out a knee.

Give Bunch the first half, and if he's not getting it done, put Martinez out there in the 2nd half.

Honest question - if a strain is a partial tear of a ligament, does the ligament heal by fusing itself back together? Sorry if that is a stupid question, but even when I hear partial tear I’m thinking it would require surgery to reattach the part that is torn.

Forgive me, I’m not a doctor and have never blown out a knee.
It depends on how severe the sprain is. There are various levels of what we just generically refer to as a "sprain". A mild sprain usually just involves a very stretched area of the knee so it gets inflamed. There is damage on a cellular level that requires time to heal, but there is no structural damage. A severe sprain usually does involve stretching and some partial tearing. The inflammation and swelling are worse and it takes longer to heal. Sometimes a severe sprain can heal on its own in a few weeks. But often in can take up to a year to fully heal.

Reactions: TheBeav815
It depends on how severe the sprain is. There are various levels of what we just generically refer to as a "sprain". A mild sprain usually just involves a very stretched area of the knee so it gets inflamed. There is damage on a cellular level that requires time to heal, but there is no structural damage. A severe sprain usually does involve stretching and some partial tearing. The inflammation and swelling are worse and it takes longer to heal. Sometimes a severe sprain can heal on its own in a few weeks. But often in can take up to a year to fully heal.
I got a bad left ankle sprain as a college freshman and it was months before it was fully right. Kept re-injuring it. And I wasn't an athlete going against 250 and 300 lb dudes, I was just playing intramurals, brother.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I got a bad left ankle sprain as a college freshman and it was months before it was fully right. Kept re-injuring it. And I wasn't an athlete going against 250 and 300 lb dudes, I was just playing intramurals, brother.
Exactly. A severe sprain requires total rest for a long time to heal. If you push it by coming back too soon you risk an even worse injury, which is what I think happened to TMart. No way he was ever the same player after that ankle sprain. In the title game against OU his ankle was so heavily taped it looked like a damn volleyball. No way he should have been playing

Exactly. A severe sprain requires total rest for a long time to heal. If you push it by coming back too soon you risk an even worse injury, which is what I think happened to TMart. No way he was ever the same player after that ankle sprain. In the title game against OU his ankle was so heavily taped it looked like a damn volleyball. No way he should have been playing
He did more to himself than just sprain an ankle over the years. Couldn't pass a medical to get a shot at the NFL because of his foot.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I have a suspicion that we won't really see much of #2 this season.. Maybe a few games, like was pointed out with Burkhead's example. They could use the 4 game redshirt rule.

I'd probably start looking at the season with Bunch and Masker, and if there is someone else on the team that can run wildcat or was an ex QB. You def have to recruit another QB or get a transfer in here. I'd be on the phone to Dawkins if that is even remotely possible.

Longer term, I question the wisdom of recruiting heavily injured guys out of high school.

I have a suspicion that we won't really see much of #2 this season.. Maybe a few games, like was pointed out with Burkhead's example. They could use the 4 game redshirt rule.

I'd probably start looking at the season with Bunch and Masker, and if there is someone else on the team that can run wildcat or was an ex QB. You def have to recruit another QB or get a transfer in here. I'd be on the phone to Dawkins if that is even remotely possible.

Longer term, I question the wisdom of recruiting heavily injured guys out of high school.
If you are referring to Martinez he hurt his shoulder in HS not his knee - are you trying to say the two are related? not bagging on you just curious as to what you are thinking here

Yeah I dunno about that unless he re-injures it. They didn't name him the starter because they wanna shelf him. You saw what he did on Saturday, kid is for real. They won't shut him down and go 2-deep with walk ons as a matter of choice.

Reactions: HuskerDana
If you are referring to Martinez he hurt his shoulder in HS not his knee - are you trying to say the two are related? not bagging on you just curious as to what you are thinking here
How many times was AMart injured in HS?

Reactions: SOHusker11
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT