Complaining after Winning again...

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by blackshirts25, Nov 10, 2018.

1. CatColumbia

CatColumbia Senior
    Expand Collapse

One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
    You would think that after losing 10 in a row, any win would make fans more appreciative. No complaints by me. We’re getting better, our offense is looking better than any team we’ve had since 2001. As for the defense, we don’t have the depth and talent to keep teams under 20 points. The way we run our offense also doesn’t give our guys much time to rest. This is the way it’s always going to be guys.

2. Jimmy Frank

Jimmy Frank Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

3. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

Without drastic improvements with our D.

husker2612 likes this.
  4. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

How dare anybody in this thread oppose the experts that tell us Chin will never be a good DC. Shame on you if you are saying anything but fire Chinander.

5. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

well I am not sure what others are doing, but generally speaking, the more aggressive the defense is, the more likelihood of getting a turnover (Int, strip ball, blocked kick) etc. But you also run the risk of getting burned by a big play too. Going for the Int instead of the tackle.. going for the big hit, and getting a targeting penalty etc.

The ideology behind the defense is to get the ball back, to give to the offense so it can go score quickly.. it's this hurry up mode thing on both sides of the ball.

I prefer when they play a little less aggressive, but as others have said, lets see how it goes when they get more players into the system and a year or two under their belt.

6. shine003

shine003 Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Changing coaches and schemes every year is not a recipe for success. Players can’t feel comfortable and know a scheme in one year. Every time you change schemes you essential make everyone a freshman again. I’m sure there’s a lot in the play book that Chin wants to call but doesn’t have the personel or knows his players aren’t comfortable running it. People want to act like everything is simple and you can just plug and play a new scheme like it’s madden. Doesn’t work that way. Things are far more complicated than that and it’s going to take time. Not to mention, the style of offense we run will never allow for a top statistical defense. Frost has said that a lot of times and no one seems to listen. We have a long way to go, but that’s to be expected. We’re 3-7.

7. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

I don't think anyone is saying he needs to be fired at this point. I do think, looking at his past body of work the last 3 years his Ds tend to give up yards and points. In the AAC that obviously worked out ok. The offense was able to make up the difference by scoring 50+ points per game. It may very well work here too. I think the Ds in the BIG10 are much better than the AAC and It makes me very nervous having to rely on our Offense to have to put up 45+ ppg. In my opinion I think the D needs to get much much better in order have a shot at even the West. I am not saying Chin can't adjust or adapt or get better recruits. I think for many it is just an area of concern right now and going forward.

8. shine003

shine003 Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Lots of people have said Chin needs to be fired. And it’s absurd.

dinglefritz and timnsun like this.
  9. CatColumbia

CatColumbia Senior
    Expand Collapse

One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
    It’s absurd. He needs minimum 3 years to show what he can do.

Old_Gold_Knight likes this.
  10. oldjar07

oldjar07 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Are you serious? That's how much time a head coach gets, not a coordinator.

11. husker2612

Expand Collapse

That is a HUGE part to winning football games most of the time. This wasn't some top notch offense They rank somewhere in the middle of the pack. Against good BIG10 teams, that is a loss almost every time.

12. husker2612

Expand Collapse

Agree 100%. It is year one, no need to go into panic mode. It is definitely something we should be a bit concerned about if we ever want to win anything of importance.

dinglefritz likes this.
  13. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

One of the worst resumes in major college football? What makes you say that? Was it his first year as a DC where he was a finalist for the Broyles Award or his second year where he was the DC of an undefeated team?

dinglefritz and timnsun like this.
  14. husker2612

Expand Collapse

I guess I haven't heard many. I see people expressing concern for how the D is. I am one of them. If there are those saying he needs to be fired, yes it is way too soon for that. He needs at least another 2 years. If are still having the same issues then yes something might need to be done.

15. bshirt73

bshirt73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

I haven't seen boatloads of people wanting him fired. Sure, they've looked hopeless at times but worse than what we had the last three years with Smiling Mike? No, I don't think so.

SF thinks he'll be just fine and he usually knows what he's talking about. We'll see with time......

16. NUSouth

NUSouth Senior
    Expand Collapse

"I never apologize for a win". Carl Peleni

17. Mack In Motion

Expand Collapse

Depends on who is running the program.

SF's timetable is likely a whole lot different than that of a keyboard jockey.

Old_Gold_Knight and timnsun like this.
  18. slick1979uk

slick1979uk Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

WTF?

SkerInCo and headcard like this.
  19. husker2612

Expand Collapse

I could be way wrong, but I don't think Frosts focus is to have a great D. I think his focus is to have one of the best offenses in the country. I think his Ds are going to always be in the bottom half of the country. If he can win games consistently with scores like 55-35, nobody will care. They key is going to be can he have a great offense in the BIG10, who can put up 45+ points a game. As long as our D is good enough to hold teams under 35, knowing our Offensive will put up over 40 a win is a win. Doesn't matter if it is 24-3 or 55- 34. It just might take some getting use to for us Nebraska fans who have known great Ds.

20. F5Tornado

F5Tornado Senior
    Expand Collapse

That might be good for an occasional B1G title, but as far as winning a NC, I don't see it happening, not as long as the top SEC teams along with Clemson and a few others continue to have real good offense and killer defense.

Ohio State got the job done a few years back when they won it all, solid on both sides and special teams, and that's what it took to beat Alabama.

21. husker2612

Expand Collapse

Agree. Got to have a good balance of both to get to the top. I hope Frost realizes that as well.

F5Tornado likes this.
  22. UNCHUSKER

UNCHUSKER Senior
    Expand Collapse

I don’t know - maybe the fact that he has been a defensive coordinator for 3 years now and 2 of those 3 seasons he had a losing record. His defensive resume consisted of being an outside linebackers coach for 2 years at Oregon and an assistant defensive line coach for 1 year with the eagles. That’s pretty pathetic. Not as pathetic as our tacking or our run fits, but pathetic nonetheless. I don’t see a bunch of high end recruits lining up to play his scheme to turn things around either.

23. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

If your contention is that we shouldn’t be a proving ground for Coordinators, that’s fine... I won’t argue with you on that.

But if you think this is as good as it gets with Chin and he will always suck, I would say that’s pretty pathetic as well.

Give the guy a chance. He isn’t going anywhere for a few more years. Frost is invested in him. Let’s see what he does before labeling him as one of the worst coaches in college football.

dinglefritz likes this.
  24. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

So you were talking out of your ass, gotcha. You said he has one of the worst resumes on college football, which is completely off base. No reason to keep digging. I understand being upset about the defense’s performance but what you are doing is beyond revisionist history.

64 headcard, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    WestCoastCornhusker2 likes this.
  25. UNCHUSKER

UNCHUSKER Senior
    Expand Collapse

The only one talking out of his ass is you - our defensive coordinator was never a finalist for the Broyles award like you claim - check again genius. You can take your revionist history and shove it in your hole because you obviously don’t have a clue. His coaching resume compared to other defensive coordinators at P5 schools is pathetic - not sure how you don’t see that. Keep telling everyone how great this guy is and will be - It isn’t based on any facts at all. We are currently 107th in total defense - which would be worse if we didn’t play FCS Bethune Cookman and we have 2 wins against D-1 schools.

26. jonskers

jonskers Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Maybe there's a way you worded that that makes you technically correct, but I'm not seeing it. He was nominated in 2016
    http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211688376

And since we've been talking about Wisconsin and someone brought up resumes, Jim Leonhard has only coached 3 years, Defensive backs for a year at Wisconsin, then taking over DC last year. That's it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leonhard

Personally I think if we took the entire Wisconsin defensive staff, we would see similar issues regardless of the scheme and coaching. Wisconsin has had great defense forever, the system they have for player development has been in place for years, Alverez knows what he wants out of his coaches and made sure to pick people to fit that system and keep it going. Juniors/rs Sophomores on Nebraska got to see Ohio State's punter for the first time this year. Any team with a pulse, they went in scared and got blown out and it became the culture of that defensive. It's just more than coaching for some of these kidst. This year has been about rebuilding their confidence, making them believe in their skills and coaching, and going out there making plays again. This defense isn't done growing yet. I'm sure Frost and team see the missed tackles, missed assignments, lost containment, etc. Frost has said he'd live with some near misses if a player is trying to make a big play, but that's not the same thing as every mistake is OK. I'm sure there are things that will be addressed in the off-season, I just feel like right now the coaches are happy with the players being excited about battling on the field again and improving each day. Frost thinks Chins is the guy to implement the system that will eventually generate great defenses on a yearly basis, and with it being year 1, most people, including myself, are fine with that. Obviosly expectations go up next year, but lets enjoy the ride for now.

27. kidofSN

kidofSN Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

You do realize that Trent Bray was also nominated that same year for the Broyles award right? That nomination means absolutely NOTHING! Guess who nominated him? Scott Frost. Head coaches can nominate one member of their staff for this award. So once again it means nothing at all! Now if he had been a finalist that would mean something!

28. spartanhusker

spartanhusker Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

How is this point proven? I watched the game, I LOVE that we won, and I think we are trending nicely but we got EVERY POSSIBLE BREAK....now is it nice that it happened FOR us? Yes...but that was a very average opponent that got 35 on us...

29. TennesseeHusker75

Expand Collapse

Damn there are a ton of armchair coaches in this thread.

30. RedMyMind

RedMyMind Senior
    Expand Collapse

Illinois has a good offense

SkerInCo likes this.
  31. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Oregon was a field goal from a national title...in a low scoring game...this formula works, and nobody ever said Oregon had a great defense. We will eventually be top 30 but won't be 2009, or 1997 for that matter.

32. RedMyMind

RedMyMind Senior
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking about the Oregon/Auburn game last night. FG as time expired from inside the 10 if I remember correctly.

33. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

My point is our coaching and qb are so superior that it lead to a blow out. Their back can single handedly carry their team, if they let him...8 ypc...wtf! They seemed content on letting bush shot put the ball into a 20 mph wind...Oz is good...but not on his level....Illinois has some good talent...

34. 1 nu rugby

1 nu rugby Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

i remember when a Heisman winning I-back left the orange bowl via a lick on an ankle, we lost 31-30

35. MackDaddy87

MackDaddy87 Newbie
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it's made my small kids looking better!