ADVERTISEMENT

Complaining after Winning again...

You would think that after losing 10 in a row, any win would make fans more appreciative. No complaints by me. We’re getting better, our offense is looking better than any team we’ve had since 2001. As for the defense, we don’t have the depth and talent to keep teams under 20 points. The way we run our offense also doesn’t give our guys much time to rest. This is the way it’s always going to be guys.

Of course we will all take the win, but I agree. Illinois killed themselves today, the same we will killed ourselves earlier in the year. One could argue they lost the game more so than we won it. We had 24 points of turnovers. 2 or 3 of those we had nothing to do with, they just screwed up. They D and special teams should be a big concern for everyone. Without drastic improvements, 6-7 wins next year will be good as it gets.

Without drastic improvements with our D.

Reactions: husker2612
How dare anybody in this thread oppose the experts that tell us Chin will never be a good DC. Shame on you if you are saying anything but fire Chinander.

Why can't we have both? Why can't we stop teams AND force turnovers? Other teams are able to do it. Why not us?
well I am not sure what others are doing, but generally speaking, the more aggressive the defense is, the more likelihood of getting a turnover (Int, strip ball, blocked kick) etc. But you also run the risk of getting burned by a big play too. Going for the Int instead of the tackle.. going for the big hit, and getting a targeting penalty etc.

The ideology behind the defense is to get the ball back, to give to the offense so it can go score quickly.. it's this hurry up mode thing on both sides of the ball.

I prefer when they play a little less aggressive, but as others have said, lets see how it goes when they get more players into the system and a year or two under their belt.

Changing coaches and schemes every year is not a recipe for success. Players can’t feel comfortable and know a scheme in one year. Every time you change schemes you essential make everyone a freshman again. I’m sure there’s a lot in the play book that Chin wants to call but doesn’t have the personel or knows his players aren’t comfortable running it. People want to act like everything is simple and you can just plug and play a new scheme like it’s madden. Doesn’t work that way. Things are far more complicated than that and it’s going to take time. Not to mention, the style of offense we run will never allow for a top statistical defense. Frost has said that a lot of times and no one seems to listen. We have a long way to go, but that’s to be expected. We’re 3-7.

How dare anybody in this thread oppose the experts that tell us Chin will never be a good DC. Shame on you if you are saying anything but fire Chinander.
I don't think anyone is saying he needs to be fired at this point. I do think, looking at his past body of work the last 3 years his Ds tend to give up yards and points. In the AAC that obviously worked out ok. The offense was able to make up the difference by scoring 50+ points per game. It may very well work here too. I think the Ds in the BIG10 are much better than the AAC and It makes me very nervous having to rely on our Offense to have to put up 45+ ppg. In my opinion I think the D needs to get much much better in order have a shot at even the West. I am not saying Chin can't adjust or adapt or get better recruits. I think for many it is just an area of concern right now and going forward.

I don't think anyone is saying he needs to be fired at this point. I do think, looking at his past body of work the last 3 years his Ds tend to give up yards and points. In the AAC that obviously worked out ok. The offense was able to make up the difference by scoring 50+ points per game. It may very well work here too. I think the Ds in the BIG10 are much better than the AAC and It makes me very nervous having to rely on our Offense to have to put up 45+ ppg. In my opinion I think the D needs to get much much better in order have a shot at even the West. I am not saying Chin can't adjust or adapt or get better recruits. I think for many it is just an area of concern right now and going forward.

Lots of people have said Chin needs to be fired. And it’s absurd.

The point is the turnovers happened. Just because the turnovers happened and we took advantage of them doesn't necessarily mean we had to win the game that way. If you get 5 turnovers and don't get any points off of them, it doesn't help you much either. We had to take advantage of the opportunities we got and we did. Turning that into some kind of negative as if we had to do it that way is just ridiculous and asinine in the extreme. Earlier in the season the mantra was "where are the turnovers?". Now that were getting the turnovers, people are saying "why do we have to rely on turnovers to help us win?". You want them, now we are getting them, and people still are complaining. Turnovers are part of the game, just like playing good offense and defense are. We played well in most phases of the game, offense, special teams, forcing turnovers, not stopping ourselves with stupid penalties. The only thing we didn't do well in is stopping them on defense in general. You can't expect to do well in all phases of the game every week. And why is relying on turnovers to help you win somehow make a win less important in some people's eyes anyway? I'll take a win however it comes, that's the bottom line.
That is a HUGE part to winning football games most of the time. This wasn't some top notch offense They rank somewhere in the middle of the pack. Against good BIG10 teams, that is a loss almost every time.

Yeah, the defense looked pathetic stopping the run. But it's year one......let's hang tough for another year. We'll see.....

But certainly agree we can't count on always out-scoring everybody. Even the unstoppable 1983 NU offense fell a little short.
Agree 100%. It is year one, no need to go into panic mode. It is definitely something we should be a bit concerned about if we ever want to win anything of importance.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Can’t help it that you are ignorant. Sorry you can’t see that our defense is trash and our current defensive coordinator has one of the worst resumes in major college football. If you want to blindly follow him then go ahead but don’t call people dumb when when they can see exactly where this is going. We won’t catch Michigan or Ohio state with him leading the defense.
One of the worst resumes in major college football? What makes you say that? Was it his first year as a DC where he was a finalist for the Broyles Award or his second year where he was the DC of an undefeated team?

Lots of people have said Chin needs to be fired. And it’s absurd.
I guess I haven't heard many. I see people expressing concern for how the D is. I am one of them. If there are those saying he needs to be fired, yes it is way too soon for that. He needs at least another 2 years. If are still having the same issues then yes something might need to be done.

I guess I haven't heard many. I see people expressing concern for how the D is. I am one of them. If there are those saying he needs to be fired, yes it is way too soon for that. He needs at least another 2 years. If are still having the same issues then yes something might need to be done.

I haven't seen boatloads of people wanting him fired. Sure, they've looked hopeless at times but worse than what we had the last three years with Smiling Mike? No, I don't think so.

SF thinks he'll be just fine and he usually knows what he's talking about. We'll see with time......

I wouldn't assert we are a better team...

Qb=NU
Rb=ILL
TE=NU
OLine=ILL
WR=NU
DLINE=ILL
LB=ILL
DB=NU

We had a huge advantage at qb...despite Bush running wild, he sux as a passer...they had a large advantage on the lines...overall I was impressed with their talent... but they are not nearly as well coached. Our d was in position, but couldn't do anything about it because they are untalented...but...we made ILL work for their points...Ill was out of position, although better athletically, and we had huge plays. The fact their o-coordinator ever threw the ball showed me they didn't have a clue...we are still the same team that got rocked last year and for 6 games this year...+ a great qb...that is it...a true freshman.

WTF?

Honestly, I'm not sure any defense they run would be good for 60 minutes, just not enough talent to hold off equal or better on the other side of the ball. Nebraska's D did good in the third quarter, so that was a plus. And the turnovers. I don't see next year being much better, and if it's not, Frost will have some things to think about going into year three concerning his staff.

When I watch Alabama and Clemson, along with Michigan and a few other teams, Nebraska is light years behind on defense, and I wonder if they can really ever get to that level in a few more years.
I could be way wrong, but I don't think Frosts focus is to have a great D. I think his focus is to have one of the best offenses in the country. I think his Ds are going to always be in the bottom half of the country. If he can win games consistently with scores like 55-35, nobody will care. They key is going to be can he have a great offense in the BIG10, who can put up 45+ points a game. As long as our D is good enough to hold teams under 35, knowing our Offensive will put up over 40 a win is a win. Doesn't matter if it is 24-3 or 55- 34. It just might take some getting use to for us Nebraska fans who have known great Ds.

I could be way wrong, but I don't think Frosts focus is to have a great D. I think his focus is to have one of the best offenses in the country. I think his Ds are going to always be in the bottom half of the country. If he can win games consistently with scores like 55-35, nobody will care. They key is going to be can he have a great offense in the BIG10, who can put up 45+ points a game. As long as our D is good enough to hold teams under 35, knowing our Offensive will put up over 40 a win is a win. Doesn't matter if it is 24-3 or 55- 34. It just might take some getting use to for us Nebraska fans who have known great Ds.
That might be good for an occasional B1G title, but as far as winning a NC, I don't see it happening, not as long as the top SEC teams along with Clemson and a few others continue to have real good offense and killer defense.

Ohio State got the job done a few years back when they won it all, solid on both sides and special teams, and that's what it took to beat Alabama.

That might be good for an occasional B1G title, but as far as winning a NC, I don't see it happening, not as long as the top SEC teams along with Clemson and a few others continue to have real good offense and killer defense.

Ohio State got the job done a few years back when they won it all, solid on both sides and special teams, and that's what it took to beat Alabama.
Agree. Got to have a good balance of both to get to the top. I hope Frost realizes that as well.

Reactions: F5Tornado
One of the worst resumes in major college football? What makes you say that? Was it his first year as a DC where he was a finalist for the Broyles Award or his second year where he was the DC of an undefeated team?
I don’t know - maybe the fact that he has been a defensive coordinator for 3 years now and 2 of those 3 seasons he had a losing record. His defensive resume consisted of being an outside linebackers coach for 2 years at Oregon and an assistant defensive line coach for 1 year with the eagles. That’s pretty pathetic. Not as pathetic as our tacking or our run fits, but pathetic nonetheless. I don’t see a bunch of high end recruits lining up to play his scheme to turn things around either.

I don’t know - maybe the fact that he has been a defensive coordinator for 3 years now and 2 of those 3 seasons he had a losing record. His defensive resume consisted of being an outside linebackers coach for 2 years at Oregon and an assistant defensive line coach for 1 year with the eagles. That’s pretty pathetic. Not as pathetic as our tacking or our run fits, but pathetic nonetheless. I don’t see a bunch of high end recruits lining up to play his scheme to turn things around either.
If your contention is that we shouldn’t be a proving ground for Coordinators, that’s fine... I won’t argue with you on that.

But if you think this is as good as it gets with Chin and he will always suck, I would say that’s pretty pathetic as well.

Give the guy a chance. He isn’t going anywhere for a few more years. Frost is invested in him. Let’s see what he does before labeling him as one of the worst coaches in college football.

Reactions: dinglefritz
So you were talking out of your ass, gotcha. You said he has one of the worst resumes on college football, which is completely off base. No reason to keep digging. I understand being upset about the defense’s performance but what you are doing is beyond revisionist history.

Last edited:
So you were talking out of your ass, gotcha. You said he has one of the worst resumes on college football, which is completely off base. No reason to keep digging. I understand being upset about the defense’s performance but what you are doing is beyond revisionist history.
The only one talking out of his ass is you - our defensive coordinator was never a finalist for the Broyles award like you claim - check again genius. You can take your revionist history and shove it in your hole because you obviously don’t have a clue. His coaching resume compared to other defensive coordinators at P5 schools is pathetic - not sure how you don’t see that. Keep telling everyone how great this guy is and will be - It isn’t based on any facts at all. We are currently 107th in total defense - which would be worse if we didn’t play FCS Bethune Cookman and we have 2 wins against D-1 schools.

The only one talking out of his ass is you - our defensive coordinator was never a finalist for the Broyles award like you claim - check again genius. You can take your revionist history and shove it in your hole because you obviously don’t have a clue. His coaching resume compared to other defensive coordinators at P5 schools is pathetic - not sure how you don’t see that. Keep telling everyone how great this guy is and will be - It isn’t based on any facts at all. We are currently 107th in total defense - which would be worse if we didn’t play FCS Bethune Cookman and we have 2 wins against D-1 schools.

Maybe there's a way you worded that that makes you technically correct, but I'm not seeing it. He was nominated in 2016
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211688376

And since we've been talking about Wisconsin and someone brought up resumes, Jim Leonhard has only coached 3 years, Defensive backs for a year at Wisconsin, then taking over DC last year. That's it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leonhard

Personally I think if we took the entire Wisconsin defensive staff, we would see similar issues regardless of the scheme and coaching. Wisconsin has had great defense forever, the system they have for player development has been in place for years, Alverez knows what he wants out of his coaches and made sure to pick people to fit that system and keep it going. Juniors/rs Sophomores on Nebraska got to see Ohio State's punter for the first time this year. Any team with a pulse, they went in scared and got blown out and it became the culture of that defensive. It's just more than coaching for some of these kidst. This year has been about rebuilding their confidence, making them believe in their skills and coaching, and going out there making plays again. This defense isn't done growing yet. I'm sure Frost and team see the missed tackles, missed assignments, lost containment, etc. Frost has said he'd live with some near misses if a player is trying to make a big play, but that's not the same thing as every mistake is OK. I'm sure there are things that will be addressed in the off-season, I just feel like right now the coaches are happy with the players being excited about battling on the field again and improving each day. Frost thinks Chins is the guy to implement the system that will eventually generate great defenses on a yearly basis, and with it being year 1, most people, including myself, are fine with that. Obviosly expectations go up next year, but lets enjoy the ride for now.

You do realize that Trent Bray was also nominated that same year for the Broyles award right? That nomination means absolutely NOTHING! Guess who nominated him? Scott Frost. Head coaches can nominate one member of their staff for this award. So once again it means nothing at all! Now if he had been a finalist that would mean something!

How is this point proven? I watched the game, I LOVE that we won, and I think we are trending nicely but we got EVERY POSSIBLE BREAK....now is it nice that it happened FOR us? Yes...but that was a very average opponent that got 35 on us...
Illinois has a good offense

Reactions: SkerInCo
Our O is nice, but defense wins championships. Until Chin matches Frost we won't win many games against good teams.
Oregon was a field goal from a national title...in a low scoring game...this formula works, and nobody ever said Oregon had a great defense. We will eventually be top 30 but won't be 2009, or 1997 for that matter.

Oregon was a field goal from a national title...in a low scoring game...this formula works, and nobody ever said Oregon had a great defense. We will eventually be top 30 but won't be 2009, or 1997 for that matter.
I was thinking about the Oregon/Auburn game last night. FG as time expired from inside the 10 if I remember correctly.

That is a very strange way to compare teams, but still I disagree. We are getting better every week and the game was never really in doubt. I would also disagree that they are better at RB and LB. Its OK to admit that not everything is terrible. The first 5 games still happened, you can cling to those if you need to, but pretending like this game was somehow an even match or that we got lucky (while winning by 3 TD’s) is silly..
My point is our coaching and qb are so superior that it lead to a blow out. Their back can single handedly carry their team, if they let him...8 ypc...wtf! They seemed content on letting bush shot put the ball into a 20 mph wind...Oz is good...but not on his level....Illinois has some good talent...

My point is our coaching and qb are so superior that it lead to a blow out. Their back can single handedly carry their team, if they let him...8 ypc...wtf! They seemed content on letting bush shot put the ball into a 20 mph wind...Oz is good...but not on his level....Illinois has some good talent...
i remember when a Heisman winning I-back left the orange bowl via a lick on an ankle, we lost 31-30

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT