ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing Defensive 2-Deep Talent vs Wisconsin and Iowa..

People are going to have to get used to the fact that while Scott Frost is here, we will never lead in Total Defense or scoring defense. He even said it in his post-game presser. We are going to ask the D to get turnovers and try and hold red zone trips to FGs. For our offense to get in a groove they need the ball and they need snaps. They are willing to give up points trying to get the interception.

It’s utterly pointless to compare our defense to Wisconsin and Iowa’s.

Pardon my common sense but if you want to give your offense more snaps then have a D that stops people. I think Frost's comments are a bit out of context. If I believe some of the pundits on here, having an aggressive but porus D looking for the big turnover is more conducive to the O than a team that holds them down to less yardage and fewer first downs. I suspect when the dust clears the turnover margin in either scenario will be nearly the same. People are doing some mental gymnastics with the poor Defensive reasoning.

Wisconsin has stayed with the same system being run by DCs of the same cloth.
Wisconsin did have their struggles when they first implemented their system years back.
So totally different situation.

I’m not saying Chinander is the answer, but I don’t think one can properly evaluate him until year 2 at the earliest.

I'm good with 2 years, but I'm not seeing improvement over this year, like we should be seeiing. I thought we moved ahead against Ohio State, only to take a big step back against Illinois.

This is what I have so far. Read it and weep...and at your own risk. Will update as I finish more teams. It's pretty clear that Chinander better pick it up next year, or more people will be calling for his ass..

Nebraska (Total Defense-107th, Scoring Defense-103rd)

DE-Freedom A. *** (5.6), Kahlil D. **** (5.8)
NT-Carlos D. *** (5.7), Payton N *** (5.7)
DE-Ben S. *** (5.6), Mick S. *** (5.6)
OLB-Tyrin F. *** (5.6), Alex D. ** (5.4)
OLB-Luke G. *** (5.6), Caleb T. **** (5.8)
ILB-Mohamed B. *** (5.5), Collin M. *** (5.7)
ILB-Dedrick Y. *** (5.7), Jacob W. N/A
CB-Lamar J. **** (5.8), Eric L. **** (5.8)
CB-D. Bootle *** (5.5), Cam T. *** (5.5)
S-Aaron W. *** (5.6), Antonio R. ** (5.4)
S-Tre N. ** (5.4), Deonte W. *** (5.7)

4 4-Stars on the 2-Deep
Avg-2.91 stars/player on the 2-Deep

Wisconsin (Total Defense-35th, Scoring Defense-25th)

DE-Loudermilk *** (5.7) Henningsen (No Stars)
NT-Bryson Williams*** (5.5), Roberge (No Stars)
DE-Lyles **** (5.9) Conv. OLine,
Pfaff ** (5.4)
OLB-Van Ginkel ****(5.8)Bell *** (5.7)
ILB-Connelly (No Stars), Sanborn **** (5.8)
ILB-Edwards, *** (5.5), Orr ** (5.4)
OLB-Baun *** (5.5), Johnson (No Stars)
CB-Wildgoose *** (5.7), Harrell, ** (5.4)
SS-Dixon *** (5.6), Pearson *** (5.7)
FS-Nelson *** (5.6), Burrell, *** (5.7)
CB-Hicks *** (5.6), Williams, ** (5.4)

3 4-Stars on the 2-Deep
Avg-2.41 Stars/player on the 2-Deep

Iowa (Total Defense-10th, Scoring Defense-13th)

LDE-Nelson, *** (5.6), Golston, *** (5.6)
LT-Brincks (No Stars) Conv. TE,
Lattimore *** (5.6)
RT-Nelson, *** (5.6), ** (5.4)
RDE-Hesse ** (5.4) Epenesa, ***** (6.1)
LB-Niemann *** (5.6), Barrington *** (5.5)
MLB-Hockaday, *** (5.5),Welch *** (5.5)
WLB-Colbert *** (5.7), Welch *** (5.5)
CB-Brents **** (5.8) Hankins *** (5.7)
SS-Hooker *** (5.6), Milani (No Stars)
FS-Gervase (No Stars), Stone ** (5.4)
RCB-Moss ** (5.3), Ojemudia ** (5.3)

1 5-Star, 1 4-Star on the 2-Deep
Avg-2.5 Stars/player on the 2-Deep

Bo gave up 34 ppg against power 5 opponents in 2008...that was with multiple 1st round draft picks on his defense...Chin is giving up the same...with no SUH and Amukamara...Denard...or David. The 2017 defense gave up 55 ppg their last 4...right now we are sitting at 20 ppg less against similar competition... If you can't visually see the difference...much better tackling, much better effort, much better play by CBs, especially when playing the ball, we have two CBS that are tops in the country in pass breakups, we have leverage issues, and speed issues, and depth issues...especially in the front 7. Wisky and Iowa have inept offenses that protect their defense...Nebraska is going to have a top 5 offense that exposes the defense on purpose...that may change is Frosty finds we can't win with that formula but that has nothing to do with Chin. In 2009 we had a garbage offense that took no chances because the entire team revolved around the defense. Remember when Bo took all of his timeouts on defense.....so STFU

I said a couple years. A couple has always been two.

As a side note, I can't believe how many times I've ordered a couple hamburgers and the drive thru person says "How many would you like?" Ugh.. Too many times to count.

Our offensive system isn't radically different. than many offenses in college football today. There are multiple 1st generation, 2nd generation, and 3rd generation spread offensive systems in college football. Ours is actually somewhat older as compared to some spread systems.

I know one thing...that a defense ranked in the 100s is never good, regardless of offensive system. A defense in the bottom half (65th or lower) isn't even good for a spread system.

You've been talking about Wiscy. There is no system more different from ours.

I’m looking forward to 2019 starting fresh with guys who know the scheme and have had another year w/ Duval.

Next year will tell us a lot. We lose NO ONE on defense who is not replaceable. Tony Fair is one guy I think needs to pan out for proper depth next year. Daniels can’t do it alone, C Davis isn’t ideal at NT for me, and Vaha is very unknown right now.

I don't understand why I respond to your posts. You seriously manufacture bull shit to fit your absurdist narratives.

Aranda inherited the following defensive players:

- LB Chris Borland- All American, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year- dude was on his way to NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year before Concussions took their toll
- LB Vince Biegel - - 6 year NFL player - 3 time all Big Ten Player
LB - Joe Schobert - 1st Team All American - Jack Lambert Award Winner- 4 year NFL player, - Led NFL in tackles in 2017.
S- Michael Caputo - 2 time All Big Ten Player
S - Desmend Southward - 5 year NFL Player, 4th round Draft Pick.
CB - Sojourn Shelton - 2 Time All Big Ten player, 3 year NFL career
NT - Beau Allen - 5 Year NFL Player - All Big Ten.

Let's put this into perspective:

Wisconsin had 3 NFL Players at Linebacker, an NFL Run Stuffing anchor on the D-line, and 3 of their DBs were NFL players.

Chinander has arguably 1 NFL FA in Luke Gifford and potentially a late round selection in 2020 with Barry. That's it.

There is no comparison between the talent Aranda inherited and the defensive talent at Nebraska.

And its difficult to not laugh at recruiting rankings with Dedrick Young is a higher rated recruit out of high school than every linebacker at Iowa or Wisconsin.... Young wouldn't even sniff the two deep at either program.

Have you ever given any consideration to the defensive staff actually being an important part to players getting drafted? Good Lord, do you really think Wisconsin recruited players much better than their consistent 30th or worse classes 9 or 10 years ago?? Get your head out of your ass and start using it. If anything you've just proven the point of coaching being as important as I've already suggested. Wisconsin has always had lower ranked classes than us, and yet they have been churning out good defensive players for quite some time...because their defensive staff has been better, not because they had better talent coming into their program. Jesus man, you've gone full remedial.

We're not comparing a team that improved from 13th to 7th when switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4...we're comparing the lesser talent on teams that is 90 spots ahead of our better talent.

Using Wisconsin's 2013 defense simply shows that a defense can improve in the 3-4 in their first year. Even when they were already a very good defense. With a good defensive staff we should have improved by a large degree this year.

Have you ever given any consideration to the defensive staff actually being an important part to players getting drafted? Good Lord, do you really think Wisconsin recruited players much better than their consistent 30th or worse classes 9 or 10 years ago?? Get your head out of your ass and start using it. If anything you've just proven the point of coaching being as important as I've already suggested. Wisconsin has always had lower ranked classes than us, and yet they have been churning out good defensive players for quite some time...because their defensive staff has been better, not because they had better talent coming into their program. Jesus man, you've gone full remedial.

We're not comparing a team that improved from 13th to 7th when switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4...we're comparing the lesser talent on teams that is 90 spots ahead of our better talent.

Using Wisconsin's 2013 defense simply shows that a defense can improve in the 3-4 in their first year. Even when they were already a very good defense. With a good defensive staff we should have improved by a large degree this year.

Wiscy's example shows that when you have a team that recruits physical, tough players on D they can adapt to a new system. Our guys.. not so much

You've been talking about Wiscy. There is no system more different from ours.

I understand that, and I know our offensive system allows for less rest, and more offensive series for the opposing team, but where you generally see improvement in a new defense, which is the 2nd half to last 3rd of a season, we haven't seen the improvement that we should have. And that applies regardless of what type of offense is being run.

Anyone hoping for a top statistical defense is going to be sorely disappointed. It will likely never happen under Frost. Top defenses almost always are built around ball control offenses which Frost doesn’t want. Also, having a great statistical defense will result in longer drives for opposing offenses, keeping our offense off the field and out of rhythm, another very bad thing to our head coach.

I think the defense still has a long way to go and that will require recruiting, time and consistency in coaching. It’s not a quick fix. Most of these guys were recruited to run a 4–3 and this is the first year they’re trying to learn how to play an attacking 3-4. This culture of “fix it now!” Is just so unrealistic and detrimental to rebuilding Nebraska into a player on the national level. Sorry if that product just doesn’t fit what you want it to look like. Get over it.

Wiscy's example shows that when you have a team that recruits physical, tough players on D they can adapt to a new system. Our guys.. not so much

I generally agree with you, but not on this point. Players are players. If you have higher ranked recruiting classes, you have better players, and they will adapt to defenses, regardless of what you are running. And they adapt quicker collectively than offenses in new systems. That's a given. But our defense is lagging well behind our offense in terms of assimilating the system. Either that or Chinander and the defensive staff is not ingraining physical attributes into our D.

Like I said, I'm willing to give him another year, but if we're not in the top 50 of defenses after next year, Frost has hitched his wagon to an albatross.

Bo gave up 34 ppg against power 5 opponents in 2008...that was with multiple 1st round draft picks on his defense...Chin is giving up the same...with no SUH and Amukamara...Denard...or David. The 2017 defense gave up 55 ppg their last 4...right now we are sitting at 20 ppg less against similar competition... If you can't visually see the difference...much better tackling, much better effort, much better play by CBs, especially when playing the ball, we have two CBS that are tops in the country in pass breakups, we have leverage issues, and speed issues, and depth issues...especially in the front 7. Wisky and Iowa have inept offenses that protect their defense...Nebraska is going to have a top 5 offense that exposes the defense on purpose...that may change is Frosty finds we can't win with that formula but that has nothing to do with Chin. In 2009 we had a garbage offense that took no chances because the entire team revolved around the defense. Remember when Bo took all of his timeouts on defense.....so STFU

Bo gave up 28 points and 350 YPG in '08, but please, continue to bend the stats however you like. That's 80th and 55th respectively.

If you desire 9-4 seasons and getting blown out 2 or 3 times a season, those kind of first year stats are going to work out well for you. But remind me again...didn't we get rid of Bo because of his fits of rage on the sideline, and because he got blown out during any meaningful game?

Chinander needs to improve dramatically next year...period, or Moos needs to have a meaningful talk with Frost.

uh oh. Now you've done it.
Don't you know that Doo-Doo brains created this thread to jerk himself off? Now that we all don't agree, he's lashing out

Wiscy's been known for quite some time as a school that does excellent development of their players. They have had a better walk-on program than we have had as of late and they've had some star players on their D who were walk ons originally.

Their issue at DC has been Aranda moving to LSU, but their current guy Leonhard studied with Aranda prior to Aranda moving on. There has beem pretty good consistency of scheme and S&C even with Aranda, Wilcox and now Leonhard

We were once known much better than Wisconsin for developing defensive players. If, after next season, we aren't seeing the progress on the defensive side that we should, Moos needs to earn his money.

My point of doing this comparison was to first shut up all of the complete dimwhits claiming that we don't have talent on our defense. We've had players being coached by poor coaches, but it doesn't mean they don't have talent. And the claim of this being a complete rebuild is as much horseshit at those claiming we don't have talent.

Even despite many of our highly ranked players leaving the program, we still have probably the 4th or 5th best talent on paper in the B1G still in the program. The talent on defense is plenty good enough that we should be playing in the B1G Championship next year. Chinander needs to check himself during the off-season, because he will be under the microscope by all of our fans.

Reactions: oldjar07
uh oh. Now you've done it.
Don't you know that Doo-Doo brains created this thread to jerk himself off? Now that we all don't agree, he's lashing out

Come up with a remotely cogent thought on football. Then and only then will you be taken seriously on this forum. Until then, they're having smores and playing Chutes and Ladders at the kids table. Enjoy..

We were once known much better than Wisconsin for developing defensive players. If, after next season, we aren't seeing the progress on the defensive side that we should, Moos needs to earn his money.

My point of doing this comparison was to first shut up all of the complete dimwhits claiming that we don't have talent on our defense. We've had players being coached by poor coaches, but it doesn't mean they don't have talent. And the claim of this being a complete rebuild is as much horseshit at those claiming we don't have talent.

Even despite many of our highly ranked players leaving the program, we still have probably the 4th or 5th best talent on paper in the B1G still in the program. The talent on defense is plenty good enough that we should be playing in the B1G Championship next year. Chinander needs to check himself during the off-season, because he will be under the microscope by all of our fans.

I agree that we've outrecruited Wisconsin and many others in the big ten, but the difference maker is whats happened to those players at their respective programs. One example, I dreaded watching Lamar Jackson anytime he was on the field. It wasn't til the last several games that he's starting to live up to that ranking he got out of high school. The Wisconsin's of the world have been taking their lower ranking highschool kids and turning them into better college players. Now they have a depth chart full of developed kids, while we are just now starting to see some things click with some of our players. I don't know if Chins will ultimately last, but some individuals are starting to get the mentality it takes to be successful, and hopefully next year we get more kids who can step up to get this defense to at least average if not better.

I agree that we've outrecruited Wisconsin and many others in the big ten, but the difference maker is whats happened to those players at their respective programs. One example, I dreaded watching Lamar Jackson anytime he was on the field. It wasn't til the last several games that he's starting to live up to that ranking he got out of high school. The Wisconsin's of the world have been taking their lower ranking highschool kids and turning them into better college players. Now they have a depth chart full of developed kids, while we are just now starting to see some things click with some of our players. I don't know if Chins will ultimately last, but some individuals are starting to get the mentality it takes to be successful, and hopefully next year we get more kids who can step up to get this defense to at least average if not better.

I agree with your sentiments of better coaching leading to better teams, but you might want to inform Cornicator that the 41st, 43rd, 87th, 40th, and 57th ranked classes, as Wisconsin's were from 2008-2012 don't just automatically end up being a Top 10 defense. He's under the impression that NFL ready players just one day arrive on campus, after a mixture of pixie dust and Red Grange's remains are added to their college welcome package.

What can I say...He's an example of dumb people just continuing to get dumber.

This is the very reason why I posted these talent comparisons...because so many people have said that we have no talent on defense, and that NU was a complete rebuild. It's not even remotely a complete rebuild. If we have the right coaches, we will be very competitive all of next year. I'm just very concerned that Chinander isn't the right guy.

I agree with your sentiments of better coaching leading to better teams, but you might want to inform Cornicator that the 41st, 43rd, 87th, 40th, and 57th ranked classes, as Wisconsin's were from 2008-2012 don't just automatically end up being a Top 10 defense. He's under the impression that NFL ready players just one day arrive on campus, after a mixture of pixie dust and Red Grange's remains are added to their college welcome package.

What can I say...He's an example of dumb people just continuing to get dumber.

This is the very reason why I posted these talent comparisons...because so many people have said that we have no talent on defense, and that NU was a complete rebuild. It's not even remotely a complete rebuild. If we have the right coaches, we will be very competitive all of next year. I'm just very concerned that Chinander isn't the right guy.

UCF fans told us of this same sentiment when Frost left for Lincoln...

UCF fans told us of this same sentiment when Frost left for Lincoln...
A FEW posters from UCF questioned Chinander. Not the whole fan base. How long had Chin been at UCF. EVERY single guy I've heard talk about installing the 3-4 has said it's a 2 year learning curve. In Chin's last game at UCF, they beat Auburn..... I think I'll give him a few years before I throw him under the bus.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I'm a big believer in our DC, but you are comparing a first year, culture teardown and rebuild vs 2 of the most established defensive cultures in the BIG, if not the country.

I'm in agreement about the two cultures, but defenses are generally further ahead in assimilating new systems than offenses, and our defense is woefully behind our offense. Not to mention that I've also watched our defense remain on the third page of Total and Scoring Defense the entire season, which means 101st or worse. We should be improving, and we only have by a few spots.

We gave up over 380 rush yards yesterday...to Illinois...including 187 yds to a guy that was a 4th string QB here. That is unacceptable, even in game 10 of a new defense.

I'm in agreement about the two cultures, but defenses are generally further ahead in assimilating new systems than offenses, and our defense is woefully behind our offense. Not to mention that I've also watched our defense remain on the third page of Total and Scoring Defense the entire season, which means 101st or worse. We should be improving, and we only have by a few spots.

We gave up over 380 rush yards yesterday...to Illinois...including 187 yds to a guy that was a 4th string QB here. That is unacceptable, even in game 10 of a new defense.
4th string QB for a pro-style offense when it might have been logical for him to be actually competing for the job. He obviously is a run first QB.

Just stop. You just got owned.

I think you need to pay closer attention. Cornicator just got bitch slapped...hard. But that's what generally happens.

I understanding you're upset at me owning you too, but hey, come stronger next time. Live and learn.

4th string QB for a pro-style offense when it might have been logical for him to be actually competing for the job. He obviously is a run first QB.

He ran for nearly 60 more yards against us than any other team. He ran 20 times for 24 yards against Purdue.

I think you need to pay closer attention. Cornicator just got bitch slapped...hard. But that's what generally happens.

I understanding you're upset at me owning you too, but hey, come stronger next time. Live and learn.
Laughing

He ran for nearly 60 more yards against us than any other team. He ran 20 times for 24 yards against Purdue.
Good point. I will say that Purdue is not in their first year of their defensive system and their defense has been pretty good against the run. We have not. Clearly we have work to do and I do not think Bush was a good match up for us. To defend a big mobile QB like that you had better have big fast DBs and linebackers...we're a little short in that regard.

anyone who watches the players on D and claims we have legitimate talent is just delusional

We have maybe 3 or 4 guys who are legitimate starting defensive players for a top 1/2 defense in the B10 and a few who aren't even rotation guys on a good D.

And some of them may have once had talent, but it has been undercut due to poor coaching or S&C. You don't build a front 7 without good starting material and good S&C. One big difference between us and Wiscy is that they've managed to keep their S&C at a high level for over the last decade. Our S&C has been lousy since Epley and the athletic pubalgia disasters

A FEW posters from UCF questioned Chinander. Not the whole fan base. How long had Chin been at UCF. EVERY single guy I've heard talk about installing the 3-4 has said it's a 2 year learning curve. In Chin's last game at UCF, they beat Georgia..... I think I'll give him a few years before I throw him under the bus.

They Beat Auburn dinglefritz, I understand what your thinking..

anyone who watches the players on D and claims we have legitimate talent is just delusional

We have maybe 3 or 4 guys who are legitimate starting defensive players for a top 1/2 defense in the B10 and a few who aren't even rotation guys on a good D.

And some of them may have once had talent, but it has been undercut due to poor coaching or S&C. You don't build a front 7 without good starting material and good S&C. One big difference between us and Wiscy is that they've managed to keep their S&C at a high level for over the last decade. Our S&C has been lousy since Epley and the athletic pubalgia disasters

Then you are saying that you know more than the Rivals folks, which isn't completely inconceivable, but there is that 'small issue' of their star-rating data being congruent with teams being successful on the field.

Oh, we have more talent on defense than you are suggesting. It just hasn't seen the coaching that Wisconsin or Iowa has had. They've taken average talent and made All Conference and All Americans out of it. And if it turns out that we have good coaching on defense, we will see the same results. If not, then it will be good talent that has gone to waste...again.

Then you are saying that you know more than the Rivals folks, which isn't completely inconceivable, but there is that 'small issue' of their star-rating data being congruent with teams being successful on the field.

Oh, we have more talent on defense than you are suggesting. It just hasn't seen the coaching that Wisconsin or Iowa has had. They've taken average talent and made All Conference and All Americans out of it. And if it turns out that we have good coaching on defense, we will see the same results. If not, then it will be good talent that has gone to waste...again.

The data gets mixed up a lot in that analysis. The fact that the rankings correlate to higher performance doesn't mean that Rivals knows best. In reality Players get higher ratings for the teams that recruit them. If Bama recruits someone they are ranked higher. Doesn't mean they can't be wrong, but they are pretty good. For years under Kelly Oregon played above their star ratings, then the ranking systems caught on and started rating the guys Oregon wanted as being better.

Look at Dedrick Young, for instance - solid but not great offers from Zona, Zona State, UCLA, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, Michigan State and Washington. Of those, I only count Washington and Mich. State as a high quality offer. The rest are Meh.

A guy with Meh offers and poor coaching and S&C is a poor player.

Then who would you say is responsible for us being 107th and and 103rd in Total and Scoring Defense? Is this Obama's fault? Trump's fault? George W's fault?

I understand that S&C hasn't had quite enough time to get us up to speed, but they should be there by the start of next season. If Chinander is still struggling, Frost has better take note.

Or what? I'm pretty sure if some faceless hero wants to put the screws to S.F. he'll leave.

Then what? Nebraska hires Petrino? Who do you...

#1. HAVE in the bag, and

#2. Whom you KNOW could do better than what Frost has done?

Frost said he wasn't coming home if he couldn't bring his own staff, pretty sure that means he wants to retain control of that aspect for his tenure.

He even said as much that, ~"If they are good enough to win there, they are good enough to win at Nebraska"

I would love to see that defense be in the top 25. I think these kinds of lighting-the-torches posts in >year one is a little premature. Besides Moos guarantees Frost a long runway. What do you suppose that means?

Reactions: Old_Gold_Knight
NU has legit game proven talent on the offensive side of the ball and more talent coming to Lincoln. NU does not have a single DLinemen that opposing teams must account for each play. Maybe Fair changes that equation a bit. Mo Barry is a solid LB and hopefully Honas recovers to provide a second. But nothing super special. Tannor could become a talent. We know Jojo is a baller but is a bit of a tweener size wise for LB. Lamar and Bootle will also be Solid. Safety is a Deontai and TBD.
The D will be better in year 2. How much better is open to question. That depends on how the players respond to another year of S&C and factors not so easy to predict.

Or what? I'm pretty sure if some faceless hero wants to put the screws to S.F. he'll leave.

Then what? Nebraska hires Petrino? Who do you

#1. HAVE in the bag

#2. That you KNOW could do better than what Frost has done?

Frost said he wasn't coming home if he couldn't bring his own staff, pretty sure that means he wants to retain control of that aspect for his tenure.

He even said as much that, ~"If they are good enough to win there, they are good enough to win at Nebraska"

I would love to see that defense be in the top 25. I think this kind lighting the torches post is a little premature. Besides Moos guarantees Frost a long runway. What do you suppose that means?

You're right on one thing, nothing would be done after one year, but if things don't drastically improve on the defensive side of the ball, all bets are off.

Frost leave Nebraska? So...he had the opportunity to take the Florida job, and have access to all the talent he would ever need for a college program without much travel, and stay in a state where his wife loved the weather...but instead chose to come to a Nebraska program that has had 2 losing seasons in the last 3 years, that is in a recruiting wasteland, and be close to his mentor. And he's going to leave Nebraska? LOL!

So...after all of that, is Frost more committed to the University of Nebraska football program...or Eric Chinander? I'm saying that if it came down to the program that he grew up loving, and winning a NC for...struggling...or getting rid of his DC, Chinander better get his resume updated. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

But they've been good every year running it. I would suspect that this year is their worst year by far. Not to mention that they were 6th in Scoring Defense and 7th in Total Defense in their first year in the 3-4, after switching from the 4-3.

I don't expect miracles from Chinander, but I don't think it's too much to expect to be in the Top 50. I know he'll never be confused with Dave Aranda. I hope Frost expects to be in the Top 50 too, or we are going to be right back where we are this year.
Wisconsin was already having success before switching to the 3-4 but Chin inherited one of the worst defenses in the country. This isn’t apples to apples.

He’s the 3rd DC in 3 yrs. Give our defense a chance to learn a system or we are wasting our time.

Reactions: Old_Gold_Knight
For the 5th year guys on defense, they have experienced multiple coaching changes. Mick had Kaz, Hank, Parella and now Dawson as psn coaches, plus Pap, Banker, Diaco and now Chin as DCs.
What the defense needs now more than anything is stability in coaching and continued work within the same scheme.

You're right on one thing, nothing would be done after one year, but if things don't drastically improve on the defensive side of the ball, all bets are off.

Frost leave Nebraska? So...he had the opportunity to take the Florida job, and have access to all the talent he would ever need for a college program without much travel, and stay in a state where his wife loved the weather...but instead chose to come to a Nebraska program that has had 2 losing seasons in the last 3 years, that is in a recruiting wasteland, and be close to his mentor. And he's going to leave Nebraska? LOL!

So...after all of that, is Frost more committed to the University of Nebraska football program...or Eric Chinander? I'm saying that if it came down to the program that he grew up loving, and winning a NC for...struggling...or getting rid of his DC, Chinander better get his resume updated. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

What I'm saying is Nebraska needs Frost more than Frost needs Nebraska. Your first paragraph says it all.

I think if some figure goes up to Frost and says you need to find a new D coordinator or you're out, within the next 2 years, I think he probably lets the whole staff know.

And he may think that really wasn't a whole lot of runway and feel like he got lied to.

He already said he was glad he wasn't offered the job before because of a badly ran athletic dept. Alma mater or not. Nebraska or not. Getting ultimatums 2 years in after assurances of breathing room might be a bad play.

Come up with a remotely cogent thought on football. Then and only then will you be taken seriously on this forum. Until then, they're having smores and playing Chutes and Ladders at the kids table. Enjoy..

Lol. Calls others children, throws temper tantrums 10 games into a total teardown and rebuild.

For the 5th year guys on defense, they have experienced multiple coaching changes. Mick had Kaz, Hank, Parella and now Dawson as psn coaches, plus Pap, Banker, Diaco and now Chin as DCs.
What the defense needs now more than anything is stability in coaching and continued work within the same scheme.

This. How about DBs, isn't this like their 6th coach in 5 years, or 7th coach in 6 years. Possibly even more.

What I'm saying is Nebraska needs Frost more than Frost needs Nebraska. Your first paragraph says it all.

I think if some figure goes up to Frost and says you need to find a new D coordinator or you're out, within the next 2 years, I think he probably lets the whole staff know.

And he may think that really wasn't a whole lot of runway and feel like he got lied to.

He already said he was glad he wasn't offered the job before because of a badly ran athletic dept. Alma mater or not. Nebraska or not. Getting ultimatums 2 years in after assurances of breathing room might be a bad play.

This all day. Moos isn't micromanaging Frost. Frost isn't the spineless jellyfish that scumbag Riley was.

It's no secret that NU has been behind Iowa and UW in getting players that fit their systems and player development for years. It just got much worse under the last sham of a staff .

This team needs players and depth. This is a total tear down and rebuild.

Some people need to come to accept the reality that just like Frost doesn't go under center in short distance, his team is built around the offense. His defenses are going to give up some points, there's no use crying about it. It's what we hired.

I'm sure they're trying to get better players and build a better defense, but we're not going to consistently see top 25 defensives at NU with Frost, regardless of who is the DC.

Personally, I'm not sold on Chins yet, and I don't care for the 3-4. Never understood the fascination with it. But I'm not calling for heads to roll at this point. Doing so is counterproductive and dumb.

Last edited:

Would be a bad play, not might. Bo Pelini got some runway following the big defensive run in 2009. For a comparison, Pelini inherited the following players for his 2 deep when he arrived at NU: Pierre Allen, Ty Stein, Suh, Potter, Phil Dillard, Hagg and Assante. That first year didn't suck for him and the next season was lights out. Chin's first season has been less than stellar, but last year by this time the defense had utterly checked out.

Reactions: Sinomatic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT