ADVERTISEMENT

Colton Feist Hangs 'Em Up

Every player on any P5 team is subject to being replaced by a new talent, that's the nature of athletics. Some will feel they were told to move along, others will believe these kids have chosen to start a new chapter in their lives.

With the addition of about 30 new kids, returning players should be aware they are subject to being replaced also. Some guys like Henrichs will be an odd man out, just based on his lack of speed.

As fans, all of us are sick of losing, we realize that the way forward begins with BETTER PLAYERS. It's likely the staff has told kids it's better for them to move along. If that player doesn't fit into the plans, a lot of kids will remain on the squad because there have always been kids who don't play but want to spend the rest of their lives telling people they played for the Big Red. Some kids want to play and not just be hanger-on type.

If Rhule announced to the team, after spring ball, they intend to carry no more than 110 kids, including walk-ons, a lot of these kids would self-eliminate and head for the Kearney State, Midlands, etc where they still may be able to enjoy the college football experience while still getting an education. I'm sure Ryan Held would take some at Kearney State if there were space available.
Exactly. Look at the nfl talent this team has had over the last 7 years (almost none) Get some better players and get rid of the dead weight.

Reactions: HuskerO
well if rhule has a replacement, last I check we were not loaded on line
Last I checked, and judging from the last 6 years, we are not loaded at any position on this football team. So losing Colton Feist is not a big loss. Maybe to Peru st. it would be, , but not a Power 5 program.

Exactly. Look at the nfl talent this team has had over the last 7 years (almost none) Get some better players and get rid of the dead weight.
I'm all for kids playing as long as they can, but in a fashion that actually brings some value to a team. I'd like those kids to play at the level where their physical talent fits.

We have WAY too many kids on this squad that are non-contributing. The Conn kid who left a month or so ago was a scholarship OLmen from Kansas who was at NU for THREE years and NEVER played a snap. Sorry, but what a waste of a scholarship.

I would hope the kid could hook up in Kansas at KU or maybe a smaller college or a JUCO and find a way to get on the field and still continue his education.

Last year your head guy showed up late, "tired", and had a dip in talking about how many doves he bagged that weekend.

Going forward your new guy always seems to have just consumed five large cups of Casey's dark roast coffee, he tweets about recruiting at all hours from all over the country, and talks about how championships are won "here" at 630 AM and how his staff wants to be involved with every facet of the player's lives.

If I'm tired of school and have no hopes of going pro I would have to think long and hard about coming back for one more year "grinding" with Rhule and his taskmasters.

I'm all for kids playing as long as they can, but in a fashion that actually brings some value to a team. I'd like those kids to play at the level where their physical talent fits.

We have WAY too many kids on this squad that are non-contributing. The Conn kid who left a month or so ago was a scholarship OLmen from Kansas who was at NU for THREE years and NEVER played a snap. Sorry, but what a waste of a scholarship.

I would hope the kid could hook up in Kansas at KU or maybe a smaller college or a JUCO and find a way to get on the field and still continue his education.
Yes. And this is part of the reason that this program hasn't been to a bowl in 7 years. What might be serviceable for South Dakota st, is not serviceable for what once was a big-time program. Reduce the roster, and keep the players that might contribute. Get rid of the ones that think it's cool that they were a part of a once mighty program. I'm pretty sure that Matt gets it and it should show on the field.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Last I checked, and judging from the last 6 years, we are not loaded at any position on this football team. So losing Colton Feist is not a big loss. Maybe to Peru st. it would be, , but not a Power 5 program.
This upcoming season will be the first time in 6 years that there will be legitimate competition for starting and key backup positions.

We know for 4 years AM, and for 3 years Jurgens were locked into their positions and, barring injury, no one would beat them out.

Last year, it was announced early that CT was the QB, so the competition for the starting QB was decided early. As a result, the backup position suffered greatly as proven by their performances or lack thereof.

There should be vigorous competition all over this team beginning in the Spring. It might be interesting to see if the Huskers are any good or not IF the best players are actually getting the snaps.

Cut the freaking fat This is a business and it is about time Nebraska, despite the old-time hard-on living in the 90's bullshit, realizes it. And I don't give a shit how many walk-ons and other crap they give out to please some kid ( and the Homer Hicks) who will never get on the field other than Peru st. Trim the fat and play ball.

Last edited:
This upcoming season will be the first time in 6 years that there will be legitimate competition for starting and key backup positions.

We know for 4 years AM, and for 3 years Jurgens were locked into their positions and, barring injury, no one would beat them out.

Last year, it was announced early that CT was the QB, so the competition for the starting QB was decided early. As a result, the backup position suffered greatly as proven by their performances or lack thereof.

There should be vigorous competition all over this team beginning in the Spring. It might be interesting to see if the Huskers are any good or not IF the best players are actually getting the snaps.
Right on. Holy shit! Someone gets it!

I disagree, if I have 4 ounces of gold and lose one ounce, I only have 3 ounces of gold...now if I replace the one ounce of gold lost, then I have 4 ounces of gold again. it's basic math. and thus far haven't heard who will be replacing him. so until that juncture the jury will be out...

Reactions: Chuck003
I disagree, if I have 4 ounces of gold and lose one ounce, I only have 3 ounces of gold...now if I replace the one ounce of gold lost, then I have 4 ounces of gold again. it's basic math. and thus far haven't heard who will be replacing him. so until that juncture the jury will be out...
I wouldn't compare Feist to gold. I hear what you are saying, but the dude was not very good and can be replaced. This isn't Suh we are losing. I commend his hard play, but in real life, his skill level was more suitable for a team like South Dakota St. or what not. Neb needs to upgrade the quality of players and do it fast. In the last 20 years, the team that won championships with "diamond in the rough" and 3 star players was... No one. Maybe we can break the trend with good coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: redwine65
I wouldn't compare Feist to gold. I hear what you are saying, but the dude was not very good and can be replaced. This isn't Suh we are losing. I commend his hard play, but in real life, his skill level was more suitable for a team like South Dakota St. or what not. Neb needs to upgrade the quality of players and do it fast. In the last 20 years, the team that won championships with "diamond in the rough" and 3 star players was... No one. Maybe we can break the trend with good coaching.
Colton did seem like a small guy siting next to the other dlineman...
as long Rhule gets em replaced pdq, asap
at this point, I'm into rebuilding years about as much as the newest pass happy schemes..

Reactions: Chuck003
No way Rhule moved him on.

However, next year will probably be more of the same as the past few years. Year two and three of Rhule's time is when the turn around will happen.

Is that what 5th and 6th year seniors really want? Rhule is a grinder and life is about ready to get more difficult for these players There is no pressure to win next year. It's a year to evaluate the new guys so even if you get some playing time they will work the newbies in more and more.

I'm guessing we haven't seen the end of seniors dropping out.

No way Rhule moved him on.

However, next year will probably be more of the same as the past few years. Year two and three of Rhule's time is when the turn around will happen.

Is that what 5th and 6th year seniors really want? Rhule is a grinder and life is about ready to get more difficult for these players There is no pressure to win next year. It's a year to evaluate the new guys so even if you get some playing time they will work the newbies in more and more.

I'm guessing we haven't seen the end of seniors dropping out.

Less than 6 wins is a failed 1st year
Need to get the extra practices and game to improve the outlook for year 2

We should be 3-0 in non conference play and have a really easy big ten schedule - no excuses for not getting to a bowl

Feist would have contributed next year

Less than 6 wins is a failed 1st year
Need to get the extra practices and game to improve the outlook for year 2

We should be 3-0 in non conference play and have a really easy big ten schedule - no excuses for not getting to a bowl

Feist would have contributed next year
You are going to be disappointed. It hasn't been the Rhule way in the past and doubtful it will be that way this year.

Rhule will play youngsters over seniors (even if that means a couple more losses next year) if he thinks it will make the team better in year three. Look at his last few college turn arounds.

Reactions: BleedRed78
You are going to be disappointed. It hasn't been the Rhule way in the past and doubtful it will be that way this year.

Rhule will play youngsters over seniors (even if that means a couple more losses next year) if he thinks it will make the team better in year three. Look at his last few college turn arounds.

Those turnarounds were prior to the transfer portal

6 wins with one of the easiest schedules we have ever had shouldn’t take a miracle

We won 4 last year coached by a raging alcoholic and then a felon

This notion that coaching/planning to win 6 games next year somehow mortgages the future is ridiculous

Those turnarounds were prior to the transfer portal

6 wins with one of the easiest schedules we have ever had shouldn’t take a miracle

We won 4 last year coached by a raging alcoholic and then a felon

This notion that coaching/planning to win 6 games next year somehow mortgages the future is ridiculous
We might get to eight wins but we might also get to three. However, if getting five or six wins means you have to rely on seniors to do it while stunting the growth of young players, Rhule will go with player development over wins.

He's thinking year 3. Year 1 is whatever.

Five years of college football is more than enough for anyone. Who wants to be in college for 6 years unless you have no ambition?

I'm ok with that, if that's what's going on, and after 3 years it's just reload instead of rebuild
(unless all the dline is injured in the middle of next season, and we have no depth
but then the player just might have wanted to hang it up and rhule can't do anything bout that)
per usual we are never given the full story...(Joe Friday facts)

Last edited:
We might get to eight wins but we might also get to three. However, if getting five or six wins means you have to rely on seniors to do it while stunting the growth of young players, Rhule will go with player development over wins.

If our new coach is consciously not playing players that give us the best chance to win a given game in the current season then we hired the wrong coach

Five years of college football is more than enough for anyone. Who wants to be in college for 6 years unless you have no ambition?
I would say anybody smart enough to realize that that’s the best time of their life. Why rush into the monotony of a 9-5? Especially when you are literally treated like royalty with unlimited food, parties, and girls just for being on the team. Dumb move unless you’re physically to the point you no longer want to do it

RuQuan Buckley and Justin Evan’s-Jenkins need to step up. There’s no way in hell Rhule ran off Nelson and Feist. That’s just crazy talk. You don’t run off your top 2 senior guys at their positions especially given their work ethic.
Sorry to create a shit storm, I was more thinking out loud than anything. I didn’t realize Buckley and Jenkins were still on the team. And like the one poster said Nelson has to big of a mouth he definitely would have said something

There is no pressure to win next year.
There is always pressure to win at Nebraska. If NU loses to N. Ill or LA Tech, or both, Rhule will experience just how nasty the greatest fans can be. He mentioned during one of his PCs he learned at Carolina that in some situations a coach won't be allowed 3-4 years for a turnaround. Granted he has an insanely long contract and huge buyout, but I expect for the money he and his staff are being paid, NU should NEVER miss a bowl game on his watch, including next year.

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_

You might be right but I think he would have more success pulling on Husker heart strings to sell people insurance they don’t need and then later denying their claims if he could say he helped with the rebuild rather than choosing not to

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Sure, they were told to move on. The years of the plodders are over. The new word is SPEED. If I played during the worst stretch in program's history, I would go sell insurance, too. They're from Nebraska. How they can even sit down and watch games with other Nebraskans?

• Haha
RuQuan Buckley and Justin Evan’s-Jenkins need to step up. There’s no way in hell Rhule ran off Nelson and Feist. That’s just crazy talk. You don’t run off your top 2 senior guys at their positions especially given their work ethic.
If they have no place to play and are holdovers from a regime/culture the new staff wants forgotten, it makes all the sense in the world

Both have nothing to regret. Nelson has a good shot at becoming a pro and Feist no doubt parlayed last year’s success into a kush portfolio in his new life

If I’m Rhule, I want as many of my guys in leadership positions as possible. Obviously.

Last edited:
Banging a new set of 18-22 year olds every year while being put in peak physical shape sounds like a terrible life.

I think Rhule and company are taking an active role in flipping the roster.

He did a pretty good job getting the signing day class together, and we've got some good transfers coming in.

We are not done there, and there will be more guys having to move on before/after spring ball as well.

They may have not asked him specificially, who knows.. maybe there was a hint made.. it doesn't really matter one way or another, but I do believe they have only just completed 1 phase in getting the roster where they want it for year 1.

It's his show, so purge away, do whatever he has to.. he's the new head coach. It's his bum on the line. This is supposed to be a tear down and rebuild, which is why Trev went this direction to begin with.

Every player on any P5 team is subject to being replaced by a new talent, that's the nature of athletics. Some will feel they were told to move along, others will believe these kids have chosen to start a new chapter in their lives.

With the addition of about 30 new kids, returning players should be aware they are subject to being replaced also. Some guys like Henrichs will be an odd man out, just based on his lack of speed.

As fans, all of us are sick of losing, we realize that the way forward begins with BETTER PLAYERS. It's likely the staff has told kids it's better for them to move along. If that player doesn't fit into the plans, a lot of kids will remain on the squad because there have always been kids who don't play but want to spend the rest of their lives telling people they played for the Big Red. Some kids want to play and not just be hanger-on type.

If Rhule announced to the team, after spring ball, they intend to carry no more than 110 kids, including walk-ons, a lot of these kids would self-eliminate and head for the Kearney State, Midlands, etc where they still may be able to enjoy the college football experience while still getting an education. I'm sure Ryan Held would take some at Kearney State if there were space available.
Not to nitpick but I will just a little. In 1989, LB 247 moved Kearney State College into the Nebraska University System. After a NE Supreme Court review, KSC officially became UNK on July 1, 1991. Your point is still the same.

Also, Midland (not Midlands) Lutheran College was renamed to Midland University in 2010.

I’m not sure that playing true freshmen on defense helps them develop all that much more than practice reps and time in the weight room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT