ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Football

Rod65

Walk On
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Are there any pathways in which Colorado can make it to the final four?

In Colorado there's been a little bit of talk about a path to the Final Four, but most people realize it will never happen. Only a blowout win over Washington would vault Colorado over Michigan and the Big Ten title game winner, and that's not going to happen. CU is a good team, but will have to play their best game of the year to beat Washington. As remarkable as CU's turnaround has been, they are probably still the 3rd best team in the Pac-12 behind USC and UW.

And if CU does get past Washington, they would be better off in the Rose Bowl anyway. Playing in Pasadena would probably do more for the program than an ass-whipping at the hands of Alabama.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Are there any pathways in which Colorado can make it to the final four?
1. Clemson loses
2. Colorado dominates Washington
3. Penn State beats Wisconsin, but it is a close, ugly win.
4. The committee isn't fond of the idea of 3 BIG teams in the final four.

That could result in Colorado jumping Wisky/PSU.

1. Clemson loses
2. Colorado dominates Washington
3. Penn State beats Wisconsin, but it is a close, ugly win.
4. The committee isn't fond of the idea of 3 BIG teams in the final four.

That could result in Colorado jumping Wisky/PSU.

I know where Wisconsin and Penn State are ranked currently but man. how do you put OSU in and leave PSU out ??

PSU would be conf champions AND have beaten OSU.

If Wisky wins I could see Wisconsin being left out as the committee could reason that while conference we think OSU is the better team based on head to head

I actually think Michigan has a shot if Wisconsin wins as both OSU and Michigan own wins over Wisconsin and Michigan has the head to head over Colorado

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I know where Wisconsin and Penn State are ranked currently but man. how do you put OSU in and leave PSU out ??

PSU would be conf champions AND have beaten OSU.

If Wisky wins I could see Wisconsin being left out as the committee could reason that while conference we think OSU is the better team based on head to head

I actually think Michigan has a shot if Wisconsin wins as both OSU and Michigan own wins over Wisconsin and Michigan has the head to head over Colorado
I think that OSU is already a lock. PSU has a loss to unranked Pitt and a 49-10 mauling from Michigan, hard to get past that even with a BIG championship. But who knows what the committee will do, especially if PSU has a decisive win over Wisky.

Wisconsin whoops Penn St.
Colorado beats Washington (close).
Virginia Tech beats Clemson.

You would have Alabama (no matter if 'Bama loses to Florida or not, they're automatically in), Ohio St, Michigan and Wisconsin.

3 BIG teams in the playoffs!!!

Reactions: LBremser
I think that OSU is already a lock. PSU has a loss to unranked Pitt and a 49-10 mauling from Michigan, hard to get past that even with a BIG championship. But who knows what the committee will do, especially if PSU has a decisive win over Wisky.
I think osu is a lock as well, and I am by no means a PSU fan, but I find it funny that people use there loss to Pitt as a reason not to be in the playoff, yet Clemson lost to Pitt as well. I just think the powers that be are trying to create the best matchups for TV purposes than those that deserve it. In my opinion head to head and championships should trump all. Psu beat osu head to head and beat MSU 45-12, osu beat MSU 17-16. I think the better team down the stretch is PSU and they proved that against osu on the field.

I think osu is a lock as well, and I am by no means a PSU fan, but I find it funny that people use there loss to Pitt as a reason not to be in the playoff, yet Clemson lost to Pitt as well. I just think the powers that be are trying to create the best matchups for TV purposes than those that deserve it. In my opinion head to head and championships should trump all. Psu beat osu head to head and beat MSU 45-12, osu beat MSU 17-16. I think the better team down the stretch is PSU and they proved that against osu on the field.
If PSU was a one-loss team I would agree completely. Since it has two losses, though, OSU and Clemson will be picked ahead of PSU regardless of the outcome of the game on Saturday. Since Michigan has two losses, there is a slight chance that PSU could jump Michigan, but because Michigan took PSU to the woodshed during the season I don't see that happening. EDIT: that assumes that Clemson wins on Saturday.

So Pitt should be in because the beat Clemson and Penn St. they are playing great down the stretch after they were blown out by Miami.

Michigan should be in before Penn St and Wisconsin since the beat both of them.

Heck Western Michigan has as many Big Ten wins as Michigan St, Rutgers and Purdue do combined. Since you used Michigan St in your example.

Head to head matters when the teams are close. Penn St has 2 losses. Ohio St 1.

So here is how I look at it. Ohio St beat Michigan who beat Penn St by 39 points. Penn St is eliminated.

Ohio St beat Michigan who beat Wisconsin. Wisconsin eliminated.

See how you can use the head to head to justify any position.

At some point you have to look at more than 1 game.

I don't know what the playoff committee will do, but this is my guess on who gets in (not ranked in order).

Alabama - In
OhSU - In
Winner of Pac12 CC - in (Colorado win will leapfrog them.)

Clemson - Only if they beat VT
Otherwise
Winner of B1G CC.

I don't know what the playoff committee will do, but this is my guess on who gets in (not ranked in order).

Alabama - In
OhSU - In
Winner of Pac12 CC - in (Colorado win will leapfrog them.)

Clemson - Only if they beat VT
Otherwise
Winner of B1G CC.
So there is no way that Michigan makes it?

Alabama - in
Ohio St - in

Clemson win and in
Washington win and in

Clemson or Washington lose - Michigan in

Both Clemson and Washington lose - Michigan and whoever has the most impressive win in their games this weekend between Colorado, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St.

I don't see anyway a third Big Ten team gets in.

Easy, 2 losses is worse than 1 loss even if it is to that team.
Not so fast my friend. One of the factors is how teams are playing at the end if the year. One could argue that PSU was breaking in a new qb against Pitt and I believe a loss on the road. The only other loss was to Michigan and PSU offensive numbers were better than Mich. Michigan lost two games on the road. Just an argument.

So there is no way that Michigan makes it?

Alabama and OhSU appear to be "in" unless something super crazy happens. So there's two spots taken.

Colorado and Wash are both top 10 teams. CC's are the playoff committee's 1st criteria. A Pac 12 team appears to be in. That's three spots taken.

Just my opinion. In the "what have you done for me lately" category, Michigan has lost the last 2 out of 3 games. They were close road losses, but still losses and no CC to elevate them.

So if Clemson is the wildcard and loses, does the committee take the B1G CC over another 2-loss team in the conference. I think the answer is "yes".

It's just my opinion and I'm not considering fringe possibilities (i.e. a team sanctioned, a super lopsided underdog blowout victory). It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Hard to believe Colorado and Penn St are both playing for conference championship...

Not one of us though that either would be in the position they are both in going into the weekend.

Alabama and OSU are gonna be 1 and 2. If Washington or Clemson loses, Michigan will get in ahead of Penn St, Wisky and CU. If both Clemson and Washington lose (could very well happen) we're probably going to see 3 Big Ten teams in playoff. How crazy would that be! CU would need to destroy Washington and hope for a nail biter in Big Ten Title to jump either Wisky or PSU. So the door isn't completely shut on the Buffs, but it's barely cracked open. If Washington beats CU they should be in. I'm predicting (1 Bama (2 OSU (3 Clemson (4 Washington. Just as it sits now. How bout the Big Ten this year! Just crazy

Anyone that thinks Michigan gets in ahead of PSU/Wisky is misguided I think. The big 10 champ has a legit claim to be in, regardless of what else happens. If PSU wins, how do you take Ohio state over them? Big ten champion and won the head to head. Yeah an extra loss but what's the most important factor? The Pitt loss or having a conference championship and win over the other team?

Yeah, Colorado was overmatched in this game already, and Liufau getting hurt made it even worse. If he can't run the ball, their offense stalls. Washington looks really good - they won't be an easy out in the playoff.

Anyone that thinks Michigan gets in ahead of PSU/Wisky is misguided I think. The big 10 champ has a legit claim to be in, regardless of what else happens. If PSU wins, how do you take Ohio state over them? Big ten champion and won the head to head. Yeah an extra loss but what's the most important factor? The Pitt loss or having a conference championship and win over the other team?

OK I'll be the Devils advacate. . tOSU beat Michigan( who blew out PSU)and if OU beats oSu that would be another notch of beating a top 10 team... Bucknuts also have the tougher Schedule..

Unless Clemson or Washington get beat it's going to be those 4 with Bama.

Yeah, Colorado was overmatched in this game already, and Liufau getting hurt made it even worse. If he can't run the ball, their offense stalls. Washington looks really good - they won't be an easy out in the playoff.

I was surprised that several of the pregame guys were giving Colorado the victory. Guess they were wrong.:p

I was surprised that several of the pregame guys were giving Colorado the victory. Guess they were wrong.:p
I think a lot of people wrote Washington off after they lost to USC, but USC is a whole different animal than they were early in the season. I've been really impressed with Washington all season, and figured they were a pretty sure bet tonight.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Looks like the Rose Bowl game is going to be USC and who ever wins the B1G CCG unless Clemson losses the ACC CCG.

After that beat down Colorado may have to start over.......(one game over reaction time)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT