ADVERTISEMENT

college entry exam cheating...

This broad didn't even want to go to school, she was looking to party. I could've gotten her into a tailgate and a ticket to the UCLA USC game for like 500 bucks max, not 500k. She's a chick too so she literally would have just had to show up and she'd get into basically every college party.

This broad didn't even want to go to school, she was looking to party. I could've gotten her into a tailgate and a ticket to the UCLA USC game for like 500 bucks max, not 500k. She's a chick too so she literally would have just had to show up and she'd get into basically every college party.
I’ve got a feeling that her main goal in life is to be another Kim Kardashian. Maybe the publicity from this scandal will help her achieve that goal.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
It's Nebraska and I get the golden opportunity to jump on the coasts and the liberal elite whenever the chance presents itself....

But let's be real here. We love the shit out if some college football and significant chunk of the folks who are talented with the ball probably aren't well suited to be at their school compared to other high schools students on an academic merit alone.

Well and to hit more closely to home. How many folks went and for a pretty nice graduate degree paid for by their company. You really think the USCs and Michigan's of the world are letting in mid life crisis age students because they are academically Superior to all other candidates or because mr. mid life crisis has a Fortune 500 company guarantee payments for two years assuming the school will let him roll with at least a B-.

Which in grad school you'd have to be extremely against the curve to not get that. It's the system fellas

That last part isn't true at all.

The last part is mostly true. Where it does not tend to be a negative is the affluent class. You have a better chance of getting in as a white, straight, Christian son, who can pay out of pocket and do not need financial assistance.

I often wonder why the rich bother with some of the things they do. If my dad had a bazillion dollars I'd probably skip college and find something interesting to do. Sure I'd probably have a finding myself party stage of life but as has been noted that can all be had without being enrolled somewhere

Reactions: saluno22
I often wonder why the rich bother with some of the things they do. If my dad had a bazillion dollars I'd probably skip college and find something interesting to do. Sure I'd probably have a finding myself party stage of life but as has been noted that can all be had without being enrolled somewhere
That's what I don't understand about the whole thing. If your kid has every resource and opportunity in the world and isn't motivated enough to get into one of these schools legitimately, what are they going to do when they get there? Seems like it's more about the parents being able to go to cocktail parties and drop the name of their kids' college.

That's what I don't understand about the whole thing. If your kid has every resource and opportunity in the world and isn't motivated enough to get into one of these schools legitimately, what are they going to do when they get there? Seems like it's more about the parents being able to go to cocktail parties and drop the name of their kids' college.

I thinking you are going to play the elite school game you have to realize there is a significant element of luck at play. There are more kids who are qualified to get in at MIT than will actually get into MIT among the commoner class.

The rich can skew that element of luck with legacy name dropping, donations, or outright bribes

How much do you charge for big cars?
I'd like to tame your shrew.
Now that's what I call marine biology.
And then there is the matter of the garbage. I don't know where you have been, but garbage isn't exactly collected by the boy scouts.

Well done!

MV5BYjYxNzAwYmQtNjZiOS00Y2FkLWIyY2QtOWI1MmE3NTgyMmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg0NTEzNjU@._V1_.jpg
if lori would have got with me she would'nt be heading to the grey bar hotel

and maybe the fbi could have been going after bama, miami, the whorns...

This does bring up an interesting question though...just how far would you go to help your kid get into the "right" college?

To me, the "right" college is the one that is geographically the farthest from my house.

Reactions: F5Tornado
except they weren't given a full ride anywhere. They were just accepted to the university. It is like a 5'8" 350 lb who runs a 5.8 being accepted to the university as a walk on.
Except they probably took a deserving kids spot. IF they didn't limit space this would be a non issue

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Let's draw a few distinctions here that are important to note:

1.) This scheme is weird and specifically was for wealthy individual's kids; the idea was, get them accepted, and then the wealthy parents can actually pay for the tuition no problem. And the schools mentioned are not the easiest to get into; some of them are easier than others, but in general, they're highly competitive and have only gotten more so since I even went to school from 2001 - 2015 (grad school included). Acceptance rates have really tightened up to an absurd degree.

2.) This scandal was truly breaking rules by cheating on standardized tests and/or getting an "in" on some sport that doesn't get very much attention and then dropping the sport ASAP. It isn't the same as how athletes generally get admitted into college, which in and of itself is a complex, corrupt, weird process that we should reform anyway.

Lastly, about "life experience" and how that gets people in places: Where a student is from, their socioeconomic background, their experiences thus far, their life story, etc., are all things that can have some, but not usually a huge, effect on the admissions process. So, for example, being from Nebraska no matter who you are is kind of a big bonus because we are a low-population, rural state with few individuals who ever leave it to go to Harvard or Georgetown.

There are intangibles that factor into admissions decisions, and very few of them have anything to do with survivors of the Parkland High School shooting. Jerks.
Problem is, to get accepted to Harvard, you have to be interviewed normally in Lincoln or Omaha by an alum on an invitation only basis.

Except they probably took a deserving kids spot. IF they didn't limit space this would be a non issue

Limited space and taking spots was not what I was responding to. It was the getting a full ride comment that I took exception to.

But if you want to get into deserving spots, there are plenty of “legit” athletes that take up spots from more deserving kids.

But in the end we are talking about borderline kids anyway. We are talking about the 999th place kid out of a 1000 that is being skipped over for Aunt Becky’s daughter. Yes it sucks, but let’s not make it out like some 4.0 student with a perfect SAT is missing out on his dream school.

Limited space and taking spots was not what I was responding to. It was the getting a full ride comment that I took exception to.

But if you want to get into deserving spots, there are plenty of “legit” athletes that take up spots from more deserving kids.

But in the end we are talking about borderline kids anyway. We are talking about the 999th place kid out of a 1000 that is being skipped over for Aunt Becky’s daughter. Yes it sucks, but let’s not make it out like some 4.0 student with a perfect SAT is missing out on his dream school.

This is a really good point.

I would even take this a step farther (further? Oh well, either one) and say that there is a great chance that this kind of practice was laughed about a bit at the old water coolers at some of these schools.

Look, you are not an ivy league admissions person for no reason...you know people, you hear things, you know things, you help to "guide" certain people on how to get accepted. And at the same time you are still doing your job, so it isn't like they are passing over some genius just so they can get the kid of a lady who may or may not have won a Nickelodeon award as "Coolest TV Aunt".

Ok i will agree with your assessment that they were accepted. I haven't seen enough yet to know how much"scholarship" money they were given for the bogus sports they were accepted. Some were at this point. There's a lot more we're going to learn in the future.

But the fact is, I believe and could be wrong in the end, all these will involve elite/hard to get accepted into/have enrollment limits type of universities. We're probably not talking k state, NU, or Oklahoma State where if you meet the minimum enrollment requirements and have sent in the registration fee you're good to go.

Yes they may have bumped the number 999 kid in the class, but that kid probably wasn't a C- student either.

Maybe in some instances that happens. But my personal experience with a child who was a 4.0 student - AND - had a perfect SAT (less than 1% of students taking that test achieve a perfect score) was not accepted into several of the Ivy League and other prestigious schools applied for.

Maybe in some instances that happens. But my personal experience with a child who was a 4.0 student - AND - had a perfect SAT (less than 1% of students taking that test achieve a perfect score) was not accepted into several of the Ivy League and other prestigious schools applied for.

Did he/she interview and was he/she a bad interview?

I watched the video (mistake) and I feel dumber for having watched it but then it occurred to me that this idiotic moron will create offspring and it will add another layer to a generation of morons.

I watched the video (mistake) and I feel dumber for having watched it but then it occurred to me that this idiotic moron will create offspring and it will add another layer to a generation of morons.

I don't know...she didn't say anything that probably 75% of college students or future college students don't think about.

When I was looking at colleges I was never like "Man, I can't wait to be sitting in Bio 101, with like, 250 other students that I will never talk to, oh wait...there is a 3 hour lab one day a week too! **** YES!"

It doesn't make one a bad person to think about the fun aspects of college.

Reactions: TheNewNU and WHCSC

And there are hundreds of athletes, in all sports, that probably scored lower than your child. Many of those athletes will never see the playing field but they were accepted into those schools and potentially took your kid’s spot, based on their “abilities” on the playing field.

One of my kid’s former classmates scored a 31 on the ACT and gained admittance into an Ivy and was a a 4 year pinch runner.

I will point out that, in this particular case, we aren’t talking about 500 students. It appears to be like 50 or less over a period of time.

Hearing bits and pieces that USC is at least trying to be proactive and are going to look into prospective students, current students, and alumnus that may have been involved in this.

Prospective students won't be admitted. Current students "may" not be allowed to continue, AND alumni MAY be stripped of their degrees. The latter I find hard to believe.

Grab your popcorn. This is going to get interesting.

Hearing bits and pieces that USC is at least trying to be proactive and are going to look into prospective students, current students, and alumnus that may have been involved in this.

Prospective students won't be admitted. Current students "may" not be allowed to continue, AND alumni MAY be stripped of their degrees. The latter I find hard to believe.

What if Will Ferrell loses his?!?!?!

Interviewed at 2 universities, and did well on the interview.

I mean, how do you know? Those interviewers here the same standard responses from everyone for the most part. So how do you know it went well?

Shoot, I have walked out of a lot of interviews thinking that I nailed it...but it turns out that either I didn't...or someone nailed it better.

Am I alone in saying, "I doubt it"? I would ask why this is such a hot topic, but then again this is a world where The Apprentice and The Kardashians are successful entertainment.... so never mind.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT