ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball is on life support

The consensus player of the year as a Jr is told no thanks in his NBA eval and the projected top 10 in the NBA draft consists of:

An international
2 overtime elite players
A G league player
6 Freshman

Few thoughts where I disagree.

1. I believe this is good for college hoops to have a recognizable player back for another season.

2. The NBA and college game couldn't be more different. In the pros, it's all about space whether through creating space on offense via ball movement, 3 point shooting or attacking matchups in space. Edey occupies a ton of space but his game does not translate to an entire league built on capitalizing on beating people in space.

3. Unless you're an absurdly gifted athlete, you've got no shot in today's NBA being that tall and immobile. They'd run him out of the league like they have nearly every other non-insanely mobile big man. If he were in a playoff game, the opponent would run pick and roll every single possession until they got Edey against the matchup they wanted. If they don't switch, they get burned on a wide open 3. If they do switch, he's gonna get beat in a 1 on 1 matchup a large majority of the time. Barring a drastic improvement in foot speed, he's unplayable the second it comes time to the playoffs.

4. He'll probably play a lot of years overseas and may stick on a roster as an end of bench guy if he's a good teammate. I'd be stunned if he did anything of substance at the next level, it's just an entirely different game that relentlessly attacks big guys off the floor.

5. Currently, Jokic, Kevon Looney (Warriors), and Robert Williams (Celtics) are about the only playable centers in the league at this point for the playoffs. Anthony Davis is a reluctant playoff center but spends the majority of his time at power forward so I don't really count him. There just aren't that many guys so teams are going to prioritize trying to develop guys that can be playable in the postseason. Edey's limitations are entirely physical and I don't think he's a good enough offensive player to overcome the weakness of his defense in space.

This particular news has nothing to do with CBB being on life support.

But I will say it’s just hard for the average fan to keep up. With the one and dones, the majority of the talent is out the next year. Just not sustainable for the average fan.

CFB is starting to head that direction too with the transfer portal unfortunately. Too much turnover from year to year to stay engaged unless you are a die hard.

By "y'all" did you mean the one guy who said college basketball is dying or did you mean literally everyone else in the thread who disagrees with him? Lazy troll attempt moron.
ya - I was way too aggressive with the thread title - definitely taking the L - poor choice of words

thread was more directed toward the widening gap between college basketball and the NBA - when college players of the year are considered NBA projects and you have to go way down in the draft to find players who stayed in college more than a year or two

may continue if the G league and/or overtime elite can compete with college basketball for pay and NBA development

Last edited:
Reactions: mgbreis
The consensus player of the year as a Jr is told no thanks in his NBA eval and the projected top 10 in the NBA draft consists of:

An international
2 overtime elite players
A G league player
6 Freshman

The death of college basketball began when the NCAA only required 1 semester of college attendance so the players could become draft eligible. The "student-athlete" did not have to attend any classes to play the 1 semester and then declare for the draft. History shows this. What you are seeing now is the further destruction of college athletics in general through NIL... Just my $0.02 of worthless thought.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
I’m a fan. Since Donyell. But I don’t care if they’re a BB. Their history is short and very good starting about mid 80s
Fan since Uncle Cliffy.

Reactions: c3o
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT