ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball is on life support

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
The consensus player of the year as a Jr is told no thanks in his NBA eval and the projected top 10 in the NBA draft consists of:

An international
2 overtime elite players
A G league player
6 Freshman

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
The talent available will be evaluated and ranked by people who get paid to do it. Unlike the NFL, there are non-college pools of players to consider. Edey got an evaluation, he can use it to work on his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboxes
Edey blows

If anything it’s an indictment on the dinosaur college bball media, which have historically been horrible at identifying such things as:

The best teams
The best players

College basketball is not on life support. There's more than enough appetite for college basketball even if a lottery pick never plays in the NCAA again. Which, we know isn't going to happen. It's zero surprise that Edey isn't seen as a huge NBA prospect.

I still enjoy it. But there’s a huge disconnect between successful college teams and the NBA draft
the only disconnect is idiots thinking an uncoordinated ogre who can't move is an NBA prospect

his "successful" college team has been bounced by a 15 seed and the shortest team in NCAA tourney history in consecutive seasons

What has changed is the perception of when the season starts...which is when March Madness starts, and March Madness still matters. Now if the same thing keeps happening going forward as what happened this year, we'll see.

He wasn't told no, he wasn't promised a 3 year guaranteed deal for over the couple mil in NIL he's likely to pull at Purdue. So now he can come back and continue to expand on his athleticism, mobility, and skill while making really good money. If NIL wasn't a thing, he'd be gone for sure. He outright said that actually.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
He wasn't told no, he wasn't promised a 3 year guaranteed deal for over the couple mil in NIL he's likely to pull at Purdue. So now he can come back and continue to expand on his athleticism, mobility, and skill while making really good money. If NIL wasn't a thing, he'd be gone for sure. He outright said that actually.
LOL the national player of the year gets a low ball offer to go work on his game in the G league - maybe the Timberwolves can draft him and then Edey and Luka Garza (another big ten national player of the year) can team up to win multiple NBA championships

Last edited:
I prefer good college ball to the NBA. I actually like the teams that move the ball and run an actual offense.
May sound crazy, but the HS my kids go to has a really good girls program and I like watching them better than the boys just because of how well they run their offense. So sick of all the one-on-one drive to the basket or heave up a three that the modern game has devolved into.

Not sure about that, his NBA evaluation was Mid to late 2nd round AT BEST. That tells me they said if I were you I would stay in College,

The consensus player of the year as a Jr is told no thanks in his NBA eval and the projected top 10 in the NBA draft consists of:

An international
2 overtime elite players
A G league player
6 Freshman

On Life Support? No

Way different than when the best players stayed for 4 years? Yes

People still love college basketball (I don't know why) and we fill our arena with our sorry team. Dinner and the basketball game is still a good night out in the winter, but I'm not sure why anyone would watch college basketball on TV unless it's your home team.

UCONN rolled through the NCAA tournament and the first time I'd seen them is in the Sweet 16.

While the NBA games are kind of hard to watch, they beat the hell out of the best college games. They can't even play 4 quarters like every other basketball league.

The 2018-2019 Duke roster would have had this in the early 1980s.

R.J. Barrett
Cam Reddish
Zion Williamson
Jayson Tatum
Brandon Ingram

Not sure about that, his NBA evaluation was Mid to late 2nd round AT BEST. That tells me they said if I were you I would stay in College,
plus college seasons are like dog years to NBA teams

nobody wants a 23 year old guy who can't move, can't pass & can't shoot

Edey's best place is in the B1G where he can feast upon a bunch of 6'7" future insurance sellers while DMing high school chicks

I mean, Edey literally said it would come down to money and NIL. He's still super young in basketball development. He's going to continue to improve.

plus college seasons are like dog years to NBA teams

nobody wants a 23 year old guy who can't move, can't pass & can't shoot

Edey's best place is in the B1G where he can feast upon a bunch of 6'7" future insurance sellers while DMing high school chicks
Might want to check the combine athleticism. He's continued to work on his body and improve his athleticism. He is a solid passer, though, still developing. Some draft workouts would say he can shoot and that's why Painter has talked about expanding his role if he came back. If he had a bad shot, he'd be a bad free throw shooter. His biggest issue is going to be athletic ceiling. He's not there yet though

I mean, Edey literally said it would come down to money and NIL. He's still super young in basketball development. He's going to continue to improve.
I am not debating that. I don’t blame him , he didn’t have a guaranteed place at a NBA dinner table. With NIL it makes these decisions easier for the players. I see what the NBA is today and IMO this kid is a stretch for a NBA roster even in 24.

the only disconnect is idiots thinking an uncoordinated ogre who can't move is an NBA prospect

his "successful" college team has been bounced by a 15 seed and the shortest team in NCAA tourney history in consecutive seasons
They were also a one seed and had mediocre recruiting. There’s no denying they suck at the tournament lately, but they overachieved as a team with an ogre and a pair of freshmen guards

I am not debating that. I don’t blame him , he didn’t have a guaranteed place at a NBA dinner table. With NIL it makes these decisions easier for the players. I see what the NBA is today and IMO this kid is a stretch for a NBA roster even in 24.
Probably. He will make a roster purely to see if the league can develop him. He's still a young basketball player

Probably. He will make a roster purely to see if the league can develop him. He's still a young basketball player
The last part about roster is wrong, he will get drafted, He is 7’4” you can’t coach that.

On Life Support? No

Way different than when the best players stayed for 4 years? Yes

People still love college basketball (I don't know why) and we fill our arena with our sorry team. Dinner and the basketball game is still a good night out in the winter, but I'm not sure why anyone would watch college basketball on TV unless it's your home team.

UCONN rolled through the NCAA tournament and the first time I'd seen them is in the Sweet 16.

While the NBA games are kind of hard to watch, they beat the hell out of the best college games. They can't even play 4 quarters like every other basketball league.

The 2018-2019 Duke roster would have had this in the early 1980s.

R.J. Barrett
Cam Reddish
Zion Williamson
Jayson Tatum
Brandon Ingram
21.5 million watched the CFB final. 19 million watched Kansas vs. North Carolina in the CBB final. Not on life support. Money wise, a CFB game, which takes on average a minimum of 3.5 hours to play (during which they actually play only about 10 minutes) produces three to four times the TV revenue of a CBB game (which lasts on average just over 2 hours to play [and they actually play]) The game day experience (booze and food) make CFB an unbelievable revenue producer.

Reactions: headcard
My post on him not making a roster. I meant to say I think he has s a stretch to be a regular contributor in the NBA.
Sure. Atm I'd agree. Hes still progressing. And seemingly doing so at a very rapid rate.

I still enjoy it. But there’s a huge disconnect between successful college teams and the NBA draft
Depends on the coaching. Otherwise there is a direct correlation.

But I get what your saying. The better teams are more senior laden.

Reactions: c3o

An international
2 overtime elite players
A G league player
6 Freshman

Dude the NBA is on life support. NCAA is exponentially more popular. Most people stop watching basketball BEYOND the NCAA. Glad Edey’s comin back.

College basketball is not on life support. There's more than enough appetite for college basketball even if a lottery pick never plays in the NCAA again. Which, we know isn't going to happen. It's zero surprise that Edey isn't seen as a huge NBA prospect.
The NBA game is different now than 20 years ago when being 7 feet tall put you as an automatic lottery pick. You can be 7 feet but you better be able to shoot, run, and handle the ball. No one wants one dimensional rim protectors and no one in the NBA plays through the block. This is why Edey and the kid from Craytin came back. Theres no market for them.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Neither the nba or college basketball are dying y’all are just a bunch of old white dudes from the Midwest that still watch hoosiersing
By "y'all" did you mean the one guy who said college basketball is dying or did you mean literally everyone else in the thread who disagrees with him? Lazy troll attempt moron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT