ADVERTISEMENT

coaching rumor...

Looking at BOB's 2 years at Penn state his first year is really good. Lost his first 2 games which makes a lot of sense but only lost 2 more games down the stretch. His second year not so much not sure if scholarships affected him more that year.

My real question is recruiting. We never really got to see the fruits of his recruiting and development at Penn state. Not sure if his Texans experience would be useful or not? His connection to Alabama is attractive and could drive some of this.

Another potential positive is because he is not currently a HC he does not have "buddies" on a staff. So I would assume he would be hire a strong staff.

I had kind of always thought that too, but after reading the article and looking into him more, now I'm not so sure.

He has spent more time in college than in the NFL:
College 93-06 (13 years)
NFL 07-11 (5 years)
College 12-13 (2 years)
NFL 14-20 (7 years)
College 21-22 (2 years)

Total:
College 17 years
NFL 12 years

The article also made it seem like he intended to stay at PSU, but the internal dysfunction and lack of support made him decide to bail in the 11th hour. In addition, it stated that he turned down NFL offers to stay at Bama this year. So who knows where he really wants to be.
If he thought there was dysfunction at Pedo St just wait till he sees the mess in Lincoln

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Recruiting Recruiting Recruiting
Look at his current wide receiver Tre
Exactly. New HC
I mean, you are right!

I like MJ and would LOVE for him to stay...but I would love it even more for the new HC to make that choice.

Remember when TO all but forced Bo to keep a lot of guys? We sort of loved it...until we didn't.
Good point! I would question a HC if they don't keep Mickey, but I guess everyone has their reasons knowing how such things have shaken out in some past cases.

Seems pretty straightforward. Most think he'd kill it here. Many think he can't recruit.

Pretty mixed bag. Seems like they have a pretty positive view of him overall. If he wants to win and I think he does, he's going to put an emphasis on recruiting. Hopefully he has an ax to grind and wants to shut up his naysayers by going for broke.

I wonder what interest there is at Auburn for him. Maybe that doesn't work since Auburn fans hate all things Roll Tide.

Wow, reading that I had no idea that it seems like PSU fans like BoB, at least a good amount.

The idea that he hates recruiting doesn't seem all that strange, I am guessing most coaches hate it. It has to be annoying.

BoB strikes me as the type that would surround himself with great recruiters.

TBF, I don't care if he can recruit. We recruit well enough to win the West every year, without exception. It is way more important for the East. Our problem has been basic skills coaching for a very, very long time.

Pretty mixed bag. Seems like they have a pretty positive view of him overall. If he wants to win and I think he does, he's going to put an emphasis on recruiting. Hopefully he has an ax to grind and wants to shut up his naysayers by going for broke.

I wonder what interest there is at Auburn for him. Maybe that doesn't work since Auburn fans hate all things Roll Tide.
Just thinking here but now might be the time to get the Auburn job. I think Bama might be slipping just a bit. They are pretty close to 3 losses this year and I think we all know that when a legendary coach leaves...things tend to fall off a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
TBF, I don't care if he can recruit. We recruit well enough to win the West every year, without exception. It is way more important for the East. Our problem has been basic skills coaching for a very, very long time.
I think that lame recruiters have shown that you can get 20-25 ranked classes at NU...

Which is still almost always the best in the west. Now, I know the east/west thing is changing soon but the point is that even with lame recruiting NU is like 4-5 in the Big Ten...with USC coming in...probably closer to 5.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Exactly. New HC

Good point! I would question a HC if they don't keep Mickey, but I guess everyone has their reasons knowing how such things have shaken out in some past cases.
I guess my reasoning for Mickey is he has proven his recruiting as well has his coaching and player togetherness not just with us but elsewhere

We stood by a coach for 4+ losing seasons. The whole impatient Nebraska fans narrative probably needs to die.
Yes, this is all untrue about an impatient fan base! Sure we complain, but nothing like plenty of other places! In the last 20 yrs I've left the East stadium on the escalators after horrible losses and hardly a few bad words from the fan base! We have taken alot! Ha! Sometimes you could hear a pin drop! Still we renew our ticket!

Reactions: Frozone
Looking at BOB's 2 years at Penn state his first year is really good. Lost his first 2 games which makes a lot of sense but only lost 2 more games down the stretch. His second year not so much not sure if scholarships affected him more that year.

My real question is recruiting. We never really got to see the fruits of his recruiting and development at Penn state. Not sure if his Texans experience would be useful or not? His connection to Alabama is attractive and could drive some of this.

Another potential positive is because he is not currently a HC he does not have "buddies" on a staff. So I would assume he would be hire a strong staff.
His recruiting class was going very well on paper in his initial year at PSU before the sanctions hit and numerous kids bailed.

Wow, reading that I had no idea that it seems like PSU fans like BoB, at least a good amount.

The idea that he hates recruiting doesn't seem all that strange, I am guessing most coaches hate it. It has to be annoying.

BoB strikes me as the type that would surround himself with great recruiters.
Seriously. A guy that is not afraid to be the boss, hire talent to make himself look good and be quick to fire the dead weight. Let him focus on coaching, running the program and winning games.

Reactions: headcard
I think that lame recruiters have shown that you can get 20-25 ranked classes at NU...

Which is still almost always the best in the west. Now, I know the east/west thing is changing soon but the point is that even with lame recruiting NU is like 4-5 in the Big Ten...with USC coming in...probably closer to 5.
6. UCLA is hot hot hot.

MJ is not an Offensive Coordinator
Neither was Frank Solich
Or Frost at Oregon - or Walters or the bank dude under Frost

whoever is listed as OC under Day, Sark, Riley aren't the offensive coordinators

it gives you the title in MJ's case -- OC/WR coach - the big jump in pay and on a lot more head coaching candidate lists

Generally speaking, I care more about a higher floor than a higher ceiling with this HC hire. I think BOB provides a higher floor than many of the names mentioned, so that part is good.

But I’m not going to get excited or argue for any particular candidate. Wake me up when the announcement is made so that I can start rationalizing the decision.
That’s way too mature and logical……

I think after two years at Alabama he would know how ****ed up the boosters are at Auburn.

I mean, you are right!

I like MJ and would LOVE for him to stay...but I would love it even more for the new HC to make that choice.

Remember when TO all but forced Bo to keep a lot of guys? We sort of loved it...until we didn't.
I think a big difference this time is MJ is arguably the top receiver coach in college football AND he’s phenomenal recruiter. An incoming coach should be begging him to stay on the staff.

I hate to be a wet blanket but if this is true I can guarantee we will not win a national championship in the next 5 years let alone 2 or 3

- take it to the bank

[THIS IS APPARENTLY VERY POOR SARCASM - no idiot would actually think this - but apparently some believe such idiots exist - thus the required disclaimer]

Lmao..no team.from the north is winning it and we will probably never win one again. At least in the next 20 years.

Watch_Your_Own_Bobber_Blog.gif

Reactions: RaulJones
Just forget the HC mongering and give the job to Mickey!! As he recently stated "it's tough recruiting when you're considered a lame duck".

This delay in naming him HC is hurting recruiting badly!!!

Let's drop the interim title and move on!

Just forget the HC mongering and give the job to Mickey!! As he recently stated "it's tough recruiting when you're considered a lame duck".

This delay in naming him HC is hurting recruiting badly!!!

Let's drop the interim title and move on!
Thank you! Yes, soooooo yes!!!!

Reactions: mavsker
heard its Bill OBrian
I hope it is Mickey. I know he never has been a head coach at the FBS level. I think Mickey will recruit well. Look at Trey Palmer. I think being from the New Orleans area he will bring lots of great players to Lincoln. I like his press conferences. He keeps it simple and direct. He takes the blame for the bad. He makes it all about the "Boys". I think he is tough, but respectful. I don't think he is going to dance around playing players who are not getting it done. Sure, some players will still enter the transfer portal, but I doubt it will be a mass exodus of top recruits that has been occurring. I think there will be accountability for everyone from coaches to team managers with Mickey in charge. I am sure he is confident, but I don't think he will ever have an unjustified sense of entitlement that Frost had. I also think that more times than not the star player is not the great coach, but the back-up is. Maybe it has always been too easy for Frost, but Mickey has had to grind it out. I respect that about him. Lastly, I think he definitely cares about the Husker program and its legacy. I bet Frank cared about it, but I don't think any of the rest of them thought about it too much.

I hope it is Mickey. I know he never has been a head coach at the FBS level. I think Mickey will recruit well. Look at Trey Palmer. I think being from the New Orleans area he will bring lots of great players to Lincoln. I like his press conferences. He keeps it simple and direct. He takes the blame for the bad. He makes it all about the "Boys". I think he is tough, but respectful. I don't think he is going to dance around playing players who are not getting it done. Sure, some players will still enter the transfer portal, but I doubt it will be a mass exodus of top recruits that has been occurring. I think there will be accountability for everyone from coaches to team managers with Mickey in charge. I am sure he is confident, but I don't think he will ever have an unjustified sense of entitlement that Frost had. I also think that more times than not the star player is not the great coach, but the back-up is. Maybe it has always been too easy for Frost, but Mickey has had to grind it out. I respect that about him. Lastly, I think he definitely cares about the Husker program and its legacy. I bet Frank cared about it, but I don't think any of the rest of them thought about it too much.
I really think BOB would be a great team. Mickey has never called plays. Bill has for Belichik and Saban.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT