ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cal to Arkansas?

It appears that NIL money is a major factor in the move. For some reason, Kentucky has been slow to embrace NIL, while Arkansas’ NIL collective is near the top in terms of funding.

Yeah but now he has to live in Arkansas.
It appears that NIL money is a major factor in the move. For some reason, Kentucky has been slow to embrace NIL, while Arkansas’ NIL collective is near the top in terms of funding.

Don't follow CBB very close but NIL didn't seem to hurt his recruiting at Kentucky. Did he not land top classes yearly there? ...and now he has to live in Arkansas? Seems like a strange move from where i'm sitting but what do I know.

They hated Muss and Muss hated them, which usually happens with Muss.

Plus Ark has that Tyson Chicken and Wal Mart money...top 3 in the SEC for basketball for sure. Not that UK doesn't have good NIL...

Plus Cal, for all his cheating that he has done, is still a fan favorite and will love the hand shaking and chatting up fans. Muss hates all that.

Don't follow CBB very close but NIL didn't seem to hurt his recruiting at Kentucky. Did he not land top classes yearly there? ...and now he has to live in Arkansas? Seems like a strange move from where i'm sitting but what do I know.
He still loved getting HS guys, which is great, but 18 year olds vs 22 year olds was not working out so sell.

He is going to start going after the transfers.

Apparently you haven't spent much time in NW Arkansas. When Walmart required companies that sell to to them have a local office, people moved from all over the world and brought money and their life style demands with them. The town has exploded but still manages to keep its small town feel while growing like crazy. It is an entirely different world. My daughter went to college at John Brown U and ended up staying down there for many years. She loved it there, lots of activities, culture and money to do whatever people want done. She is huge into biking of all kinds and knows the Waltons, attended many of their gatherings and if something needed built or funded, it didn't take long to get the money. The only thing she didn't like there was the heat and humidity. She is now in Breckenridge, CO for a year so that is a change but 22 years in Arkansas. Taxes are low as well. We almost retired there.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Apparently you haven't spent much time in NW Arkansas. When Walmart required companies that sell to to them have a local office, people moved from all over the world and brought money and their life style demands with them. The town has exploded but still manages to keep its small town feel while growing like crazy. It is an entirely different world. My daughter went to college at John Brown U and ended up staying down there for many years. She loved it there, lots of activities, culture and money to do whatever people want done. She is huge into biking of all kinds and knows the Waltons, attended many of their gatherings and if something needed built or funded, it didn't take long to get the money. The only thing she didn't like there was the heat and humidity. She is now in Breckenridge, CO for a year so that is a change but 22 years in Arkansas. Taxes are low as well. We almost retired there.

Mountain biked there a few times...i'm sure it has some really great areas....the places I was exposed to had Confederate flags on every other acreage, Baptist church on every corner, weeds covering, everything. Seemed poor. But again, i'm sure its like a lot of places that are amazing in one corner, not so much in the other....and everyone who moves there starts talking funny about 5 minutes later.

Breck on the other hand? One of my faves.

According to some insider (called Muss to USC before it happend and Cal to Ark before it happend). He said this is who UK is looking at

Nate Oats, Scott Drew, Brad Underwood, Sean Miller ...

My guess, and I am usually wrong about everything, is they will also go after Billy Donovan.

According to some insider (called Muss to USC before it happend and Cal to Ark before it happend). He said this is who UK is looking at

Nate Oats, Scott Drew, Brad Underwood, Sean Miller ...

My guess, and I am usually wrong about everything, is they will also go after Billy Donovan.

Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens will be the first two contacted (if they haven't already).

Reactions: leodisflowers
Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens will be the first two contacted (if they haven't already).
Sure could be! I am just posting what I was told.

Stevens has to be tired of telling every single team "No" all the time! Haha

Probably has a lot to do with Cal’s situation at Kentucky as well. I’m sure there are NIL issues at UK, but Cal also knows if he misses the tournament or gets bounced in the 1st round again he’s toast.

Probably has a lot to do with Cal’s situation at Kentucky as well. I’m sure there are NIL issues at UK, but Cal also knows if he misses the tournament or gets bounced in the 1st round again he’s toast.

Bingo. He is not liked at all around Kentucky anymore. The state is ready for him to go.

Reactions: V-Doub

If Cal hadn't gotten into coaching he'd be a captain in the Bonano crime family....but if everyone is happy on both sides, great.

Reactions: V-Doub
Yeah, Fayetteville is a better place to live than anywhere in Nebraska unfortunately. Great game day experiences at every venue as well.

Yeah, Fayetteville is a better place to live than anywhere in Nebraska unfortunately. Great game day experiences at every venue as well.
Me and friends were thinking about hitting up a game in Fayetteville! I have never heard anything bad about the game day atmosphere. Seems like it would be a great time.

Me and friends were thinking about hitting up a game in Fayetteville! I have never heard anything bad about the game day atmosphere. Seems like it would be a great time.
Other than the stupid Whoo Pig suuie chant. It's just so bad. Only thing worse might be the cat growl sounds at PSU and KSU 100 times a game. or the Horse sound at Broncos games every 3rd down. Just so annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered and BTF69
I am not sure it's good for AR but we will see. He has done nothing for a long time in Kentucky. It's a name for sure but will results follow? Who knows. I am sure he wants to go beat KU badly. Maybe he will be extra motivated.
He's done nothing? He is 410-122 at Kentucky and makes the tournament most years and has a title and 4 FF. I agree that the championships haven't come and at a school like Kentucky they are going to bitch, but what has Arkansas really done for while? They will definitely take what Cal brings to the table. He will bring a ton of talent in there as well and if he finally can figure out the transfer portal they might be decent pretty quick. He's definitely going to be motivated.

He's done nothing? He is 410-122 at Kentucky and makes the tournament most years and has a title and 4 FF. I agree that the championships haven't come and at a school like Kentucky they are going to bitch, but what has Arkansas really done for while? They will definitely take what Cal brings to the table. He will bring a ton of talent in there as well and if he finally can figure out the transfer portal they might be decent pretty quick. He's definitely going to be motivated.
I know how good he has been but not for a while at Kentucky. Long time was a bad choice of words. 5 years really. They have won 1 more tournament game than Nebraska. At Kentucky you get fired. At Nebraska you get extended. Both really stupid probably.

Agree AR could continue to be pretty good. Outside of this year they have been pretty good. 2 elite 8's and a sweet 16 is not too bad. I never really count the first year of a coach. He was 20-12 but missed the tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
Great move for both parties. UK is ready to string him up and Arky couldn't get a better hire.

I think Arky could get someone better fro $8 million/year. He's not a great coach, and NIL and the transfer portal has negated the advantage he used to have (getting the best one-and-done players).

I think Arky could get someone better fro $8 million/year. He's not a great coach, and NIL and the transfer portal has negated the advantage he used to have (getting the best one-and-done players).
He has had a down year for 5 years by his standard but to say he is not a great coach is just not true. Look at his overall record at Kentucky another poster had above. It's like an 80%-win rate in a very good conference.

I suppose you think Hoiberg is better? Laughing

He has had a down year for 5 years by his standard but to say he is not a great coach is just not true. Look at his overall record at Kentucky another poster had above. It's like an 80%-win rate in a very good conference.

I suppose you think Hoiberg is better? Laughing

He's not a great coach. He's been a great recruiter, but like I said he no longer has that advantage with NIL and the transfer portal. He has vastly underperformed in the postseason with the amount of talent he has had. He hasn't made it past the 2nd round since 2019.

He's not a great coach. He's been a great recruiter, but like I said he no longer has that advantage with NIL and the transfer portal. He has vastly underperformed in the postseason with the amount of talent he has had. He hasn't made it past the 2nd round since 2019.
Exactly what I said. Its been a down 5 years. HE WON 80% of his games at Kentucky. 80% plus a bunch of final fours and a NC. Yea he sucks.

Other than the stupid Whoo Pig suuie chant. It's just so bad. Only thing worse might be the cat growl sounds at PSU and KSU 100 times a game. or the Horse sound at Broncos games every 3rd down. Just so annoying.
Lol. Yeah, it’s annoying but unique, and that’s why college sports are great. Great game day experience though.

Rumor is Hurley is on the radar now.
That is such a bad fit though, UNLESS he wins big and fast.

He sucks with the media, he is a child on the sidelines, he doesn't seem all that pleasant or fun.
Billy Donavon would be such a great fit, i think.

With that said, **** UK! Plus, with NIL now, they no longer have the cheating advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT