ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly Anyone?

His name has been thrown around plenty. Should be the #1 choice, for anyone looking for a head coach.

Would be a great hire in order to win now.

Don't know if the fanbase could handle the hire. We just had a meltdown last week (literally) over the possibility on moving a game off black Friday 3 years from now.

Chip Kelly would multiply that x 1000. He does what he wants, how he wants, and while he wins, it rubs people the wrong way.

He isn't the kind of guy that's going to go in somewhere and give a damn about a lot of previous traditions or give a tenth of a second of thought about the fans or media getting butthurt because the DC wasn't IMMEDIATELY available for a presser following a poor outing (like what happened after ark. state).

And that won't play in Lincoln.

Reactions: eastcobbhuskerdawg
Rutgers fan here. I expect you will beat us handily this week so that may take some pressure off MR. However, many of us back east were surprised when he was hired. We tend to see Nebraska as a blue blood in the vein of ND, USC, OK etc and thought he was a level below where the hire should have been. I think Nebraska deserves a bigger name coach if Reilly goes.

Rutgers fan here. I expect you will beat us handily this week so that may take some pressure off MR. However, many of us back east were surprised when he was hired. We tend to see Nebraska as a blue blood in the vein of ND, USC, OK etc and thought he was a level below where the hire should have been. I think Nebraska deserves a bigger name coach if Reilly goes.

Don't be so sure that we will beat you.. Seriously. We obviously want MR to succeed for many reasons (very likeable), but we're not oblivious. We are not improving and it's already year three. Still have plenty of football to play for this year but so far we're a few seconds away from being 0-3. No bueno amigo.

Reactions: blackbones
Surprised his name hasn't been thrown around? Was a fantastic college coach and would consider him a home run hire. Thoughts?

I don't know if Chips act translate to other schools. He didn't do well in the NFL but that is a whole different ballgame. Part of me thinks during Chip's time at Oregon he was lucky. I think it maybe hard to replicate his Oregon success at another school. I think a lot of the things that were an advantage for him in Oregon no longer exist. A lot of schools have caught up. (Locker rooms, Uniforms, fast play, etc.) My bosses grandson who works with us a little bit was the Ducks starting punter the last two years Mike Bellotti was the coach. Chip was the OC. The grandson tells me that Chip was not popular with players. He says he was aloof. This could be because he was only the OC. Meyer and Saban are far from being nice guys so this is might not be a big factor.

Riley isn't going anywhere at minimum until after next season (the AD, assistants, they'll all go before MR does...). Save the new coach speculation until then.

GBR
Not sure how you can say that definitively. What if we have a loosing record this year? That would make 2 in 3 years, hard to imagine we just stay the course. At a minimum, I would expect a new OC and OL coach, but I'm not too sure anyone survives that (AD, HC, etc)

Chip Kelly rode RPOs, the hurry-up, Marcus Mariota, and smoothies all the way to the NFL.

The problem is defenses have caught on to RPOs/hurry-up, Mariotas are hard to find, and nowadays everyone invests in sports-science.

He's simply run out of ponies.

And he's a jerk.

- Rutgers/Philadelphia Eagles fan

Chip Kelly rode RPOs, the hurry-up, Marcus Mariota, and smoothies all the way to the NFL.

The problem is defenses have caught on to RPOs/hurry-up, Mariotas are hard to find, and nowadays everyone invests in sports-science.

And he's a jerk.

You think the Eagles would like to have Shady McCoy back?

Reactions: miketd1

And he's a jerk.

Defenses have caught up to RPO offense. You aint watched the corn huskers play defense much have you?

There was a guy in the media booth for the game last week that would be interesting, Les Miles. He has been around for ever and should have a ton of options that he could pull as asst coaches.

True! One losing season in 16 years coaching I National Champ, 3 conference champs and a nice head of hair! Entertaining and by all accounts a nice guy!
Just not a long term fix. If you fire Riley after 2017, you simply can't hire another short term guy. You could be looking at hiring a 3rd coach in 8 years.

Just not a long term fix. If you fire Riley after 2017, you simply can't hire another short term guy. You could be looking at hiring a 3rd coach in 8 years.

I hear ya! I just don't know what by definition is a long term fix anymore. For the Big 10 the average coach tenure is 5 years right now, and the Big 12 has the longest average tenure at 5.9 years. That would have been a lot longer, but Big Game Bob stepped down so that skewed that number a little. At the power 5 schools you are looking at an average stay of 5.16 years.

It would be nice to get 12 or so years out of a coach, but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

Other than the fact he HATES recruiting, and is now considered a failed racist NFL coach, I love the idea. What could go wrong?

I want nothing to do with him. His style will never fit in Lincoln.
Lincoln Style= Lose to a team while paying them 800k.
Lincoln Style= Pay 100 million+ for facilities and not have a championship of any kind for 20 years running.

I agree his style of consistent winning will not fit in Lincoln.

True! One losing season in 16 years coaching I National Champ, 3 conference champs and a nice head of hair! Entertaining and by all accounts a nice guy!
Where did you get the one losing season stuff? How many league championships has he won?

I'm sure a guy who has been fired twice in recent years is just dying to come to a program that is potentially going to fire its 4th coach since 2003.

Hard to type this but the best value for the money I've seen lately is Mcyntire at CU,,,

Reactions: ridge22
Chip Kelly is the definition of a home run hire, and the fact that anyone is saying otherwise is proof that we can never please everyone. Might as well hire a high school freshman B team basketball coach, that way we can at least all be on the same page again! There is probably 6 coaches I would take over Chip Kelly and none of which who would come here... Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Sweeney, Peterson and Shaw

Reactions: torp1
Common sense. If you don't give an experienced coach four years to show results, you're scaring off potential next coach candidates. Recruiting is another reason. This is Riley's last gig as Head Coach...he'll fire everybody before he leaves if he has too. He wants to give the impression that he'll do whatever it takes to win (regardless if we actually win). Remember that Riley is the exact antithesis of our last coach (PR friendly...which is exactly what most fans wanted. Personally, I identify Nebraska football with winning. This program isn't about trying hard...it's about getting the job done with a "W"

GBR

Chip Kelly is the definition of a home run hire, and the fact that anyone is saying otherwise is proof that we can never please everyone. Might as well hire a high school freshman B team basketball coach, that way we can at least all be on the same page again! There is probably 6 coaches I would take over Chip Kelly and none of which who would come here... Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Sweeney, Peterson and Shaw

It's only a home run hire if he wants to be here, he doesn't want to be here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT