ADVERTISEMENT

CB's and their lack of ball skills

HudsonValleyHusker

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
We have one CB with good cover skills, but he just doesn't seem to play the ball. After hearing about getting pics all summer long I thought we'd see more aggressive play going for the ball. The other CB seems just as timid as last year and hopefully the younger guys will continue to improve and upgrade this position.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
We have one CB with good cover skills, but he just doesn't seem to play the ball. After hearing about getting pics all summer long I thought we'd see more aggressive play going for the ball. The other CB seems just as timid as last year and hopefully the younger guys will continue to improve and upgrade this position.

Hudson, CU had multiple 4.4 burners that had time to get into their route tree, and when that happens, they will create a window the QB can throw to, and he did throw to that window, with our guys blanketed on the receiver.

Big difference than guys breaking wide open because our secondary absolutely, positively sucks.

GBR

O ye of little faith!

I was so impressed with the secondary’s performance. Bootle was night and day difference. Not only was he not playing 15-20 yards off each play but he was manning an entire side of the field. There’s not a DB alive that will make every play but we are in good hands.

Lamar Jackson, Tre Neal, and Deontai Williams also really stood out to me. Deontai made some huge plays, Lamar looked confident and wasn’t afraid to get up in a WR face and Neal appears to be the QB of the show.

There’s a lot to like about this unit!

Reactions: OzzyLvr and HuskerO
I think it comes with the territory of running an aggressive scheme.. there is seldom any safety help over the top, and while I'm sure everyone loved the aggressive nature and 7 sacks, the end result is we are tied for 104th in the country in points allowed.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I think it comes with the territory of running an aggressive scheme.. there is seldom any safety help over the top, and while I'm sure everyone loved the aggressive nature and 7 sacks, the end result is we are tied for 104th in the country in points allowed.
We ran an uptempo, fast paced offense. We had two huge fumbles in the first quarter. It was our defenses first outing. I couldn’t care less if we were ranked 104th or dead last! The defense put us in a position to win.

Our corners are improving and our coaches believe in them. We took the extra help in pass coverage and used it to put the QB on his back for the first time in years.

It was game #1. Give it a little time brother!

We ran an uptempo, fast paced offense. We had two huge fumbles in the first quarter. It was our defenses first outing. I couldn’t care less if we were ranked 104th or dead last! The defense put us in a position to win.

Our corners are improving and our coaches believe in them. We took the extra help in pass coverage and used it to put the QB on his back for the first time in years.

these are fair statements. One of my critiques of the DL was that we have to bring other pressure to get to the QB. It's good that we did that, but it puts our DB's at risk - especially against a team like Colorado with at least one very, very good WR and a solid set of them.

To get to the next level, we'll need some top notch corners (along with a HR hitter at RB and a couple of receivers that can consistently make the big catches)

Hudson, CU had multiple 4.4 burners that had time to get into their route tree, and when that happens, they will create a window the QB can throw to, and he did throw to that window, with our guys blanketed on the receiver.

Big difference than guys breaking wide open because our secondary absolutely, positively sucks.

GBR

I thought our CB’s were much better than last year and made several good plays on the ball. They aren’t great year, but are much improved.

I agree I much rather see an aggressive defense get burned than a team just control the game against us. There was much to like about the defense starting with holding them to 44 yards rushing. I was hoping for some turnovers but I believe those will come

Deontai William's was the only DB that I saw actually make a play on the ball. Bootle has good cover skills but did nothing to try raking the ball away from the reciever or make a play on the ball before the catch.
Deontai looked very good. He needs to be on the field more. Bootle looked much better than I thought he would, but still needs improvement. Still can't believe more college corners aren't taught to get their hands up. It's basic stuff and makes a world of difference. The good corners are able to get their hands up before the ball arrives. The average corners, yeah maybe they can stick with a receiver, but if they don't get their hands up, it's not going to accomplish much.

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
It looked like the secondary was better than it was for much of the year last year, but they still weren't very good.

Two big touchdowns from CU would have been tough for an elite NFL corner to cover. The throws were laser and #2 is big and fast (definitely a first rounder)..
That being said, there were plays that killed us from our secondary. On a 3rd and 25+ and playing man coverage, Lamar decided to rotate to the middle of field instead of sticking with his guy and that play led to a big first down. Lamar got out of his coverage again on a third and long and when he was able to recover, he held the receiver..negating a coverage sack. And let’s not forget that horrible play that gave them a first down at the end of the game. DB’s need to stick to their coverage and PLAY THE BALL.

Timid is a freakin understatement

The improvement was crystal clear and I agree the two dimes dropped into Shenault’s hands in stride despite solid coverage were tough to stop even if we wished Bootle couldve made a play on the ball. Jackson needs to be better.period. For game 1, all signs are encouraging. Both Williams played pretty well, Bootle did ok despite dropping an easy INT.
Reed’s penalty was beyond unacceptable. Of all the countless mistakes where only subtracting 1 wouldve won us the game, Reed’s penalty and Morgan’s TD drop (both seniors) were the worst.

Two big touchdowns from CU would have been tough for an elite NFL corner to cover. The throws were laser and #2 is big and fast (definitely a first rounder)..
That being said, there were plays that killed us from our secondary. On a 3rd and 25+ and playing man coverage, Lamar decided to rotate to the middle of field instead of sticking with his guy and that play led to a big first down. Lamar got out of his coverage again on a third and long and when he was able to recover, he held the receiver..negating a coverage sack. And let’s not forget that horrible play that gave them a first down at the end of the game. DB’s need to stick to their coverage and PLAY THE BALL.
I don't know if it was a nickel or a linebacker on that side with him, but whoever it was needed to drop back deeper and more to the sideline and would have taken that outside receiver out of the play. There were two receivers on that side going vertical and the safety might have been too deep to get to the inside one if it was thrown there. You can't fault Lamar too much on that one as he basically had to cover two receivers with little help.

Just wrong...We had 7 sacks...half of them coverage sacks...we had more pass breakups than in any game in 3 years...we gave up a few big pass plays on perfectly thrown deep balls...we don't have NFL quality guys...that is known...but to say they didn't turn to get the ball is wrong...they were just beaten because physically they weren't as good as the other guys. 3 years from now that will be different.

CB play was better than S play overall yesterday (room for growth in both areas, however)
I agree, I was very disappointed in our safety play. They were either a step too slow, didn't help the corners out at all, didn't make any plays when they should have been free to do so, and made costly mistakes.

The real killer was our safety on the game-winning TD. Williams took a slightly wrong angle and looked like he still could have "Reed"ed the WR to break up the play.

Have to disagree for the most part. It is not easy to "play the ball" when you're running at full speed. When you're twisting a bit.

It is the same wrong criticism of QB's who don't throw to a wide open receiver. I never played QB but I bet a lot of the time (especially when they're scrambling) it is because they don't feel their feet are set enough. They feel off balance if prefer. Often off play action. I added this second point because it is one I have wanted to make for years. The solution. Better pass protection even if it means keeping in a tight end to block.

Have to disagree for the most part. It is not easy to "play the ball" when you're running at full speed. When you're twisting a bit.

It is the same wrong criticism of QB's who don't throw to a wide open receiver. I never played QB but I bet a lot of the time (especially when they're scrambling) it is because they don't feel their feet are set enough. They feel off balance if prefer. Often off play action. I added this second point because it is one I have wanted to make for years. The solution. Better pass protection even if it means keeping in a tight end to block.

There could be some truth to it, even though what you say is correct. CU seemed to go after Bootle much more than Lamar. Could be his size, but most likely they have noticed that Bootle does not put himself into position to play the ball most of the time. That's strange to me because he is probably one of our fastest players.

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
There could be some truth to it, even though what you say is correct. CU seemed to go after Bootle much more than Lamar. Could be his size, but most likely they have noticed that Bootle does not put himself into position to play the ball most of the time. That's strange to me because he is probably one of our fastest players.

Even NFL'ers opften don't have perfect ball skills. FWIW. I was very impressed with Colo. QB Montez. First time I have seen him. When a QB is sacked seven times and wins, that is pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT