ADVERTISEMENT

Casey Thompson vs Adrian Martinez

Looked pretty good and accurate in clips I've seen. Best on target I've seen at NU in years....we'll see next fall because I've learned that the spring game isn't what it used to be either

The green jerseys don’t hurt the QBs in the spring either.

see what Tuco wrote..

I think you're reaching too far on that.

We have had a lot of changes, personnel and coaching wise, and the reports so far are good.

Can we believe everything we hear? Of course not, but I'm cautiously optimistic in the state of the program right now.
I just don't understand why people read so much into quotes from players and coaches. I can see with my own two eyes that our o line last year was complete trash. They couldn't block anybody and held or jumped offsides on every drive. Thompson came to NU because he knew he would be the starter on day one. Same thing with the coaches saying how great the week of practice was, they are saying what is politically correct, not truth.

This team was basically 7-10 points per game from being a 1 loss team.

Nebraska's redzone scoring average with Martinez at QB was about 75.3%.
OU with Thompson was #1 in the country at 96.23%

We don't have to get to 96% Just getting to 80% wins nearly every game last year. 80% is incredibly doable for this team and it's an easier schedule.

The biggest concern is the D-Line. Unfortunately Tuioti for all the talk was a terrible recruiter and the line Is incredibly thin and very green. Luckily they moved Dawson there and he is a pretty good recruiter and they should be pretty good going forward (Though it's still a stupid arrangement) but this year is going to be hairy if injuries pile up.
I’m curious about this stat. Would love to see a link and compare to other schools. I did look at kicker stats. (Couldn’t find a breakdown of kicks for each yardage. But Texas kicker was 13-15 on the year. Nebraska’s kickers were 8-16 on the year with a few close misses. That has to play a role doesn’t it?

I’m curious about this stat. Would love to see a link and compare to other schools. I did look at kicker stats. (Couldn’t find a breakdown of kicks for each yardage. But Texas kicker was 13-15 on the year. Nebraska’s kickers were 8-16 on the year with a few close misses. That has to play a role doesn’t it?
I should have looked harder the first time. Nebraska kickers didn’t attempt a kick inside the 20. Culp was 3-4 between 20-29. Not sure if any of those four kicks had the LOS inside the 20 or not.

I should have looked harder the first time. Nebraska kickers didn’t attempt a kick inside the 20. Culp was 3-4 between 20-29. Not sure if any of those four kicks had the LOS inside the 20 or not.
subtract 7 yards for the spot and 10 yards for the endzone.

All 4 kicks had a LOS inside the 20. The shortest FG a kicker can attempt is, I guess, a 17 yard 1 inch attempt. An extra point is a 20 yard kick.

So to recap the LOS, on a 20 -29, yard attempt would be from between the 3 and the 12 yard line.

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
I just don't understand why people read so much into quotes from players and coaches. I can see with my own two eyes that our o line last year was complete trash. They couldn't block anybody and held or jumped offsides on every drive. Thompson came to NU because he knew he would be the starter on day one. Same thing with the coaches saying how great the week of practice was, they are saying what is politically correct, not truth.
I don't disagree with a lot of this.. I don't really want to rehash issues that take me back to the last QB, as I've done that enough on this board for the past four years, so excuse me not getting into the details again.. for me, time to move on and let that be the past and embrace the present.

Reactions: BuckysBoys1

I suppose if Thompson had said the OL sucks and he came here anyway, then you would have put a lot into his quote because you would agree with that. So what you are really saying is that you don't understand why people read so much into quotes from players and coaches that don't agree with your opinion or perspective?

That is fair, don't get me wrong, we all pretty much do the same thing.

My comment to you was more to the point that he didn't have to mention the OLine at all. There were plenty of reasons to come to Nebraska as a QB, you hit on one with the starting job a virtual lock, I mentioned 2 others, playing for Frost who coached both Milton and Mariota to very successful college careers, playing for Whipple who turned Pickette into a top 5 NFL selection then take into account the relationship between Thompson's dad and Mickey Joseph and there is no reason to bring up the OLine unless it really way it could be considered a "politically correct" answer is if someone asked him directly, "was the OLine a factor in your decision?" We don't know the specifics. But I stand by the fact that there are/ were several reasons to come to Nebraska and he didn't have to mention the OLine but he did.

Reactions: BuckysBoys1

All 4 kicks had a LOS inside the 20. The shortest FG a kicker can attempt is, I guess, a 17 yard 1 inch attempt. An extra point is a 20 yard kick.

So to recap the LOS, on a 20 -29, yard attempt would be from between the 3 and the 12 yard line.
He's a sharp one ain't he?

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
It's not even a comparison. Thompson is 10x the qb AM ever was. All you need to see that is a single play from his Texas film. With that you can see a drastic difference in how fast he plays and processes a play compared to Martinez. Imo, Thompson was the best transfer qb in the class and I would have taken him over Caleb Williams. We hit the jackpot with Thompson.
Good lord put the kool-aid down. He’s so dominant and a sure fire first round pick that he left Texas to come to Neb?! Got it!!

Reactions: AVeritas
Good lord put the kool-aid down. He’s so dominant and a sure fire first round pick that he left Texas to come to Neb?! Got it!!
Texas is led by a drunkard and are perennial underachievers. They let their best quarterback go because he injured his hand last season and had to have someone to blame it on besides their loser head coach.

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
As I said in another post on here, any QB would look like beyond garbage playing behind the worst in school history trash lines we've had to suffer through the past few years

It is bud. Your of the I don't need no stinkin line in front of me, I'll go out there by myself and tear it up with no line on the field and and get named All-American. You're not to bright!
Oh, the irony.

You're a Moran.

Further:

You can only blame $hitty line play so many times for missing with the money shot.

Dear God, did I mess that one up.

Tuco shut up for once, you were at every practice? It’s dipshits on this site who have zero clue, zero.

Better question, how does any head coach NOT win more than four games a year at N? Last 3-win season was Bill Jennings 1961, before Scott Frost that is.
Thank goodness we have all of these non Husker fans on our board to teach us about Husker history. I guess when you are Iowa, Minnesota and Kansas St and don't have much history to speak of, you come to a place that does.

Better question, how does any head coach NOT win more than four games a year at N? Last 3-win season was Bill Jennings 1961, before Scott Frost that is.
I was for firing Scott Frost after two years. I don't know how he got a fifth. Frost is ultimately responsible, but Amart managed to lose most of the games he played in.

Reactions: king_kong_
I refuse to buy into any hype, but I do feel good about Thompson being an upgrade. He just seems like more of a QB. But we’ll see.
If we have a solid run game, I believe he'll have a big year as far as completion percentage and TD to interception ratio. I also think he'll lead us to at least to a winning season.

If we have a solid run game, I believe he'll have a big year as far as completion percentage and TD to interception ratio. I also think he'll lead us to at least to a winning season.
Boy I hope so, it's been a long time since we've had something to smile about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT