ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Nelson

I’m not sure if RVP played before today. He has four games on the red shirt and I’m assuming when they decide to play him, he is worked into the game plan and is practicing with the top units during the week.
RVP played a I think in the first two games. I think we have some guys banged up. Butler is playing through an injury for sure.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Bonner has a nose for the endzone

odd they haven't been able to get Lloyd the ball in space more often but plenty of season left
There were some really cool wrinkles for the offense in the first half and then once again we got extremely conservative in the second half. LOVED our jumbo short yardage sets.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
There were some really cool wrinkles for the offense in the first half and then once again we got extremely conservative in the second half. LOVED our jumbo short yardage sets.
The entire second half I was begging for anything misdirection. The play calling is extremely predictable when Satt goes into protection mode.

The entire second half I was begging for anything misdirection. The play calling is extremely predictable when Satt goes into protection mode.
And I don’t know if he’s doing it on his own or if Rhule is telling him to do it. Schiano is a great defensive coach and no doubt he also adjusted some things at half
, At times Dylan looked pretty confused. We’re talking about a head coach who was good enough to be an NFL DC so we probably shouldn’t be surprised.

B
And I don’t know if he’s doing it on his own or if Rhule is telling him to do it. Schiano is a great defensive coach and no doubt he also adjusted some things at half
, At times Dylan looked pretty confused. We’re talking about a head coach who was good enough to be an NFL DC so we probably shouldn’t be surprised.
The wind also took away a true deep ball threat. Rutgers was trying to take away the short/intermediate passing game and daring us to let deep threats develop. I think they confused Dylan a bit and he got a bit gun shy. I would have liked to see more power run game on early downs from us. We also went away from the screen game. Not sure if that was Rutgers adjusting or us just not going back to it.

B

The wind also took away a true deep ball threat. Rutgers was trying to take away the short/intermediate passing game and daring us to let deep threats develop. I think they confused Dylan a bit and he got a bit gun shy. I would have liked to see more power run game on early downs from us. We also went away from the screen game. Not sure if that was Rutgers adjusting or us just not going back to it.
I would have gone with that heavy set randomly more often then eventually snuck a TE or FB out with play action. All in all I LOVED the first half play calling. I suspect Rhule pulled back on the Reins at halftime.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and dpnavy

They definitely take the "safe route" when they have a lead and don't really think an offensive team can be very successful in our defense. I guess I get it but I imagine at some point this will change. Gotta put ya boot on teams necks.

Holla

I would have gone with that heavy set randomly more often then eventually snuck a TE or FB out with play action. All in all I LOVED the first half play calling. I suspect Rhule pulled back on the Reins at halftime.
Having Mazzucca out of the doghouse really makes that heavy formation pop. They showed it, but didn’t show other stuff that can work out of that formation. Rhule likes that heavy set and they’ll want it optimized for the back half of the schedule.

I’m not sure if RVP played before today. He has four games on the red shirt and I’m assuming when they decide to play him, he is worked into the game plan and is practicing with the top units during the week.
I heard that this was Von Poppel's third game this year which surprised me. I think he's the heir apparent to #0 in the middle of the field. Unless they find a monster from the portal or juco ranks, Von Poppel is the best, younger big kid we've got.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I heard that this was Von Poppel's third game this year which surprised me. I think he's the heir apparent to #0 in the middle of the field. Unless they find a monster from the portal or juco ranks, Von Poppel is the best, younger big kid we've got.
They are redshirting him, so they are strategically using his 4 games. I wonder if they'll save his last game for Iowa since they must have liked him out there against a run heavy Rutgers.

Reactions: Dean Pope
They are redshirting him, so they are strategically using his 4 games. I wonder if they'll save his last game for Iowa since they must have liked him out there against a run heavy Rutgers.
Agreed. If he only has one game left, save him for Iowa. Then at that point, he's back "on the team" and can play in the (clearing my throat) bowl game!

I know they said he's redshirtiing but I'm wondering if they're still on the fence about redshirting him. If they need him to win this year they need him. I think he's a talented enough kid that he's not going to need that 5th year of development to get drafted.

I don’t remember seeing Haarberg in the game either. That was a game that was begging for a guy with his skills.

Side note, after 2 more games, NU will be able to get DK on the field and still keep his redshirt

I don’t remember seeing Haarberg in the game either. That was a game that was begging for a guy with his skills.

Side note, after 2 more games, NU will be able to get DK on the field and still keep his redshirt
Haarberg was in the game as a deep back on at least one play. I think he was being used as a decoy more than anything. IF I remember correctly he sprinted out to the right side as if to take a lateral pass with a RPO but they handed off to the up back Dowdell who was lined up as a fullback for a first down. I loved the look and play call. Really nice wrinkle IMO building off of them using Haarberg to throw back to Raiola previously. It had to have made their linebackers and DBs have to think which is half the battle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT