ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Pelini

We were just having this discussion. We are wanting to travel well into retirement but also want to enjoy it while we are still young.

Our kids are a little younger so probably in 3-5 years we will start taking larger vacations outside the US.

We are frugal - but enjoy having nice experiences. We definitely live under our income level but don’t want for anything. I’m hyper-sensitive of retirement due to my own parents situation. So saving and enjoying are a balancing act.

We were just having this discussion. We are wanting to travel well into retirement but also want to enjoy it while we are still young.

Our kids are a little younger so probably in 3-5 years we will start taking larger vacations outside the US.

We are frugal - but enjoy having nice experiences. We definitely live under our income level but don’t want for anything. I’m hyper-sensitive of retirement due to my own parents situation. So saving and enjoying are a balancing act.

We all have friends who are now taking on the burden of helping support their parents because they didn't save for retirement.And I definitely don't want to do that to my kids.

We all have friends who are now taking on the burden of helping support their parents because they didn't save for retirement. And I definitely don't want to do that to my kids.

I tell all 4 of my kids on a monthly basis that we supported them for 20-25 years of their life, so they will need to return the favor in the last years of our lives, if it is needed. Essentially, they are my back-up retirement plan. I don't care who takes care of us or how it is split between the 4 of them - so they better make sure to account for that before it is too late. :)

$10K vacay's are something we'll never have to worry about. That's insane. Yes I know people who've dun 'em. Hawaii, helicopter tour to go with...Paris for 2 weeks. Barf. No way I could enjoy myself knowing I dropped 5 figures to do it.

...now I could soend 10K on a bike, but I think we can all agree that would be totally worth it.
Meh. Not really. If you stay at the holiday inn, then yes. A week on an island at a nice resort with flights, food, alcohol and excursions is very easy to exceed $10k. Shit, a week at the JW Marriott in Arizona or Florida can get to $10k. Id rather spend the money for a high end resort and be waited on for a week with my time off than lose the income of not working and not do what I truly wanted to do. We all enjoy different things. To each their own.

Didn’t anyone go to church this last Sunday and listen to the gospel? Sell all your possessions and give it to the poor and go follow the Lord. You are all sinners and heaven has no place for those living in luxury. Robin Leach did the devil’s work and corrupted this world. Follow the words of Jesus and be rewarded tenfold in heaven.
This week was about Jacob holy crap he knocked up a lot of women

My wife and I love to travel, so that is how we spend our money and give our kids other experiences. We are headed to Doha, Dubai and Abu Dhabi for Thanksgiving and then Stockholm for Christmas. My kids love going places outside of new pointless toys.
I'll be in Stockholm in June would love any suggestions. I've spent 1 days there and that is not enough to see the city

Reactions: leodisflowers
Dubai is beautiful, I had a blast out there, and honestly things are pretty affordable, you can find good places to eat for pretty cheap. Obviously there’s lots to do out there. We were able to do something different every day and still felt like we missed a lot. Abu Dhabi was amazing as well it’s a 45 minute drive between the two cities so it’s easy to go back and forth. Enjoy your trip there I know I’d go back with a quickness

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
And yet every single car ad promotes getting out on the open road through the scenic mountains / forest at 100mph. Who frickin' wants to do that? Talk about missing the target audience in those ads.

For the record, I put on 30,000+ miles for the past 25 years because of work, wife, & kids. I'm not hopping out of my vehicle on a daily basis from my required needs to then go out and drive around all weekend long.

And sorry, BTF69, I don't mean to trigger you by admitting I have a wife.
I will let your silly marriage choice slide...this time! :)

Only because you are so accurate about those commercials!

1 time, ONCE, in my life did I ever "go for a drive" just to drive. I had gotten a new Jeep Wrangler (because I **** so hard) and it was a stick shift (because I wanted an anti-theft car) and one day I was like "I am going to drive my wrangler". I drove from 132 to about 180th and then I came home and probably started drinking.

Dubai is beautiful, I had a blast out there, and honestly things are pretty affordable, you can find good places to eat for pretty cheap. Obviously there’s lots to do out there. We were able to do something different every day and still felt like we missed a lot. Abu Dhabi was amazing as well it’s a 45 minute drive between the two cities so it’s easy to go back and forth. Enjoy your trip there I know I’d go back with a quickness
Do you see TONS of crazy nice cars out there?

Can you drink there?

The IRS got nearly 40% of that. His wife got used to a pretty nice lifestyle in Lincoln. I have no idea how much he salted away but he no doubt needs over 4 million to maintain his lifestyle.
Well, he isn't working so he must be doing something right...

Do you see TONS of crazy nice cars out there?

Can you drink there?
Yes and yes, it was unreal how many crazy expensive cars were around there. The most of them were concentrated around the mall and Burj Khalifa, and then around the palm tree islands.

Dubai is especially laid back, I was out there during ramadan, and they still allowed for eating during the day and drinking, they understand there’s a lot of tourism there. I’d recommend being subtle about it all and not really walking around being a stumbling bumbling drunk but be mindful of their culture while still enjoying it. You’d still walk around the beaches and the water parks and see plenty of women dressed in two pieces as well. Over all they were hospitable. I know I never had any issues and people typically just minded their own business.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

I'm not even gonna say it.

• Haha
Reactions: RBigredMax
I'm not even gonna say it.
I Love You Legends GIF by Bud Light

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Yep, this is a return trip for us as we love Dubai, but going to Doha as well this go around. Agree with everything you said. It's awesome there.

One day, I hope to hate Iowa fans as much as you hate marriage. You are an inspiration.
Can you imagine Bo after the 15th weekend of "doing family things"

"Bo, come on sweetie, we are going to be late, we are going to the Henderson's, to play board games tonight"

• Haha
Reactions: Streamer15
I think what he's getting at is you would no longer have employee covered health insurance so that could eat a bunch of it depending on what happens with your health before Medicare. So there is more risk then the average person assumes. But yeah, $150,000 should be plenty for most debt-free Americans.

I've seen it both ways with people retiring debt free and with debt. Worked out for all of them, but all were disciplined savers.
Yup. The other thing to consider is that living on 150k/yr while aggressively saving for retirement is much different that living on 150k/yr. It seems obvious to some, but it's not always apparent to those thinking about retirement but haven't done all the math.

Can you imagine Bo after the 15th weekend of "doing family things"

"Bo, come on sweetie, we are going to be late, we are going to the Henderson's, to play board games tonight"
Ten years ago I worked out at a mormon crossfit gym. I was told I needed to go to their Christmas party where there was no booze and we played madlibs. That might have been a moment where I was close to going full Pelini.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
Yep, this is a return trip for us as we love Dubai, but going to Doha as well this go around. Agree with everything you said. It's awesome there.
I think you were the guy who went to France with his wife and kids saying it wasn't too expensive. What are you top three trips? The wife and I are planning on taking a trip somewhere, maybe with the kids, or possibly without.

Is there anything to mindful of for women in public. To tourists have to abide by anything different? I apologize for my ignorance on this question.

Yup. The other thing to consider is that living on 150k/yr while aggressively saving for retirement is much different that living on 150k/yr. It seems obvious to some, but it's not always apparent to those thinking about retirement but haven't done all the math.
The other thing to consider is how many family members does Pelini help support?

My parents do really well. Started a business 20 years ago and it took off. They now own both of their parents homes and help support them financially. Then they bought one of their sisters a home to live next to their parents to help take care of them.

Then there are my sisters, who are on the payroll, even though they don’t work at the company.

And yes, I’m sure you would be much better at parenting and there is no way you’d spoil your daughters like that. But don’t you think a college coach that missed the majority of their kids youth because he was working 80 hours a week wouldn’t spend the money out of guilt?

Do you think you wouldn’t be buying your parents a house that doesn’t have stairs when they get old?

Or maybe a second house in Scottsdale or on the lake?

When you make a shit load of money, it’s really hard not to spend it. Even if you’re financially savvy.

Reactions: Streamer15
Is there anything to mindful of for women in public. To tourists have to abide by anything different? I apologize for my ignorance on this question.
You literally act the exact same as you do when you are anywhere else in the world. The big no-nos are not being drunk in public or saying anything bad about UAE on social media. I have no idea why you would though. Dubai is fantastic. The cleanest country I have ever been to and all of the people are fantastic. You could leave your wallet out for 3 days and it would probably just be sitting there when you get back. My wife and kids love it and had no issues.

You literally act the exact same as you do when you are anywhere else in the world. The big no-nos are not being drunk in public or saying anything bad about UAE on social media. I have no idea why you would though. Dubai is fantastic. The cleanest country I have ever been to and all of the people are fantastic. You could leave your wallet out for 3 days and it would probably just be sitting there when you get back. My wife and kids love it and had no issues.
Awesome!!! Thanks!

I think you were the guy who went to France with his wife and kids saying it wasn't too expensive. What are you top three trips? The wife and I are planning on taking a trip somewhere, maybe with the kids, or possibly without.
Yep, we took them to Zurich, Geneva and Chamonix France last year for Christmas. They loved every ounce of it. I have a hard time narrowing it down, but for me (in no order)

Dubai - Everything is the best of the best and there is just so much to see and do. The food is fantastic because it is so multicultural and the people are super great too. You could go to a bathroom in a parking garage and it will be pristine. Just a fantastic experience.

Thailand - Bangkok and Chang Mai. The people are so fantastic and food is out of this world. Kids loved the elephants, the beach and the overall hustle and bustle of the city.

Prague - My favorite city in Europe. I love going when there is a little chill in the air. A lot of great day trips out of there as well and just a great city. If you like Pilsner beer, you will love it over there. Great walking city and very good, rich food.

If you have something in mind let me know as I've been most places in Europe. @mwulf is a big time traveler as well and can probably give you some great recommendations as well.

The other thing to consider is how many family members does Pelini help support?

My parents do really well. Started a business 20 years ago and it took off. They now own both of their parents homes and help support them financially. Then they bought one of their sisters a home to live next to their parents to help take care of them.

Then there are my sisters, who are on the payroll, even though they don’t work at the company.

And yes, I’m sure you would be much better at parenting and there is no way you’d spoil your daughters like that. But don’t you think a college coach that missed the majority of their kids youth because he was working 80 hours a week wouldn’t spend the money out of guilt?

Do you think you wouldn’t be buying your parents a house that doesn’t have stairs when they get old?

When you make a shit load of money, it’s really hard not to spend it. Even if you’re financially savvy.
All very good points. We are at the finish line, but I am looking for an abnormal amount of margin so that I don't have to budget much.

A random note: People should make themselves as financially savvy as possible. Relying on people who charge 1.5% AUM on your accounts is less than ideal. A fixed fee financial advisor and a good accountant is the way to go.

Yep, we took them to Zurich, Geneva and Chamonix France last year for Christmas. They loved every ounce of it. I have a hard time narrowing it down, but for me (in no order)

Dubai - Everything is the best of the best and there is just so much to see and do. The food is fantastic because it is so multicultural and the people are super great too. You could go to a bathroom in a parking garage and it will be pristine. Just a fantastic experience.

Thailand - Bangkok and Chang Mai. The people are so fantastic and food is out of this world. Kids loved the elephants, the beach and the overall hustle and bustle of the city.

Prague - My favorite city in Europe. I love going when there is a little chill in the air. A lot of great day trips out of there as well and just a great city. If you like Pilsner beer, you will love it over there. Great walking city and very good, rich food.

If you have something in mind let me know as I've been most places in Europe. @mwulf is a big time traveler as well and can probably give you some great recommendations as well.
These are great suggestions. Thank you!

One last thing. Reading up on FIRE is good for everyone, not just those who want to retire early. It provides great ideas on how to make your money go further.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT