ADVERTISEMENT

Can Texas do it?

First Team All-Big Ten
Jul 27, 2002
A big challenge that few are discussing is if Texas can ruin a third conference.

1. SWC
2. Big 12
3. SEC?

They may have met their match in the SEC. But do not take them lightly. Yes, I know, I know - the history, the tradition, the big fish there already, etc.
But they can and likely will over time f**k that league up too. Kind of like a slow, progressive disease.

A big challenge that few are discussing is if Texas can ruin a third conference.

1. SWC
2. Big 12
3. SEC?

They may have met their match in the SEC. But do not take them lightly. Yes, I know, I know - the history, the tradition, the big fish there already, etc.
But they can and likely will over time f**k that league up too. Kind of like a slow, progressive disease.
They will give it their best shot, but Bama, Georgia, and a few others will be calling the shots for a long time.

The SWC and Big Eight needed Texas. The SEC doesn't. That's a huge difference.

The non-football sports will do just fine in the SEC, but football is going to be a disaster. Texas may never win another conference championship again. UT fans had better get ready for an eternity of coaching changes and disappointing seasons.

Money aside, Texas was stupid to abandon a situation where they owned and dominated the conference, for a new conference where they are a middling player at best.

The SWC and Big Eight needed Texas. The SEC doesn't. That's a huge difference.

The non-football sports will do just fine in the SEC, but football is going to be a disaster. Texas may never win another conference championship again. UT fans had better get ready for an eternity of coaching changes and disappointing seasons.

Money aside, Texas was stupid to abandon a situation where they owned and dominated the conference, for a new conference where they are a middling player at best.
They didn't even own the crappy Big 12. TCU beat them more often than not, flipping TCU, a team that belongs in the Mountain West. They certainly won't do very good in the SEC, but at least they will get paid good money unlike the Big 12.

Reactions: BleedRed78

1. SWC
2. Big 12
3. SEC?

Texas didn't ruin the famous probation conference known as the SWC. Over the span of it's existence over half of those teams in that conference were paced on probation for violations in football and other sports and over half of those were multiple time offenders as well as it was home to the only team in CFB history that was ever handed the death penalty which was the SMU Mustangs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
My guess is they will try but no. If ND can remain independent, Texas will eventually take that route too. They will tire of getting their ass handed to them by the rabble of the SEC.
Notre Dame is unique - they are the only team that has a truly national fanbase rather than a predominantly regional one - Texas is much more like USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc - all big dogs but unlike ND, they all rely primarily on instate/regional support.

Management/commisioners, ruined the Big 12, not Texas, IMO. SWC had enough crooked schools doing crooked shit they just eventually ate their own. I don't think Texas ruined any conference personally.
What really killed the SWC (and the Big 8) was the NCAA losing its monopoly over the TV broadcasting rights for college football games - when conferences suddenly had the power to strike their own TV deals, conferences like the SWC and the Big 8 were in a weak position: the Big 8 covered six states but had a low population base; after the departure of Arkansas, the 8 teams of the SWC were all in Texas and five of them were pretty weak sisters - four private schools with small alumni bases (SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice) and a commuter school - Houston - that wasn't even an SWC member until 1976.

Except they weren’t owning or dominating anything. They’ve won 3 total conference football championships in 29 years in the Big 12. THREE. And their most recent one was 16 years ago 😳

1. SWC
2. Big 12
3. SEC?

They have more money than any other program. Numero Uno. They’re gonna be pretty good.

Except they weren’t owning or dominating anything. They’ve won 3 total conference football championships in 29 years in the Big 12. THREE. And their most recent one was 16 years ago 😳
Well if it took them this long winning 3 conference titles it’s even going to be harder for them winning them in the SEC and with still having trouble beating OU more times than not..

Yes, Texass has been getting owned by a former Mountain West team, TCU. Texass probably couldn't even be champions even if they joined the Mountain West.

What really killed the SWC (and the Big 8) was the NCAA losing its monopoly over the TV broadcasting rights for college football games - when conferences suddenly had the power to strike their own TV deals, conferences like the SWC and the Big 8 were in a weak position: the Big 8 covered six states but had a low population base; after the departure of Arkansas, the 8 teams of the SWC were all in Texas and five of them were pretty weak sisters - four private schools with small alumni bases (SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice) and a commuter school - Houston - that wasn't even an SWC member until 1976.
Good summary. Then came the big 12, which Texass literally did all but destroy due to their politicking and money grabbing ways.

The only reason the B12 is still here is because of the freedom to realign and improve from the conference independence point of view. Texas leaving should actually help - IF the B12 can expand by pulling some pac schools from what is in fact a dying conference.

If we were 8-1 against Texas instead of 1-8 (while inventing new ways to lose ganes along the way.)..I wonder if NU fans would still be blaming Texas for, everything.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
If we were 8-1 against Texas instead of 1-8 (while inventing new ways to lose ganes along the way.)..I wonder if NU fans would still be blaming Texas for, everything.
I’ve disliked them before they even came to the Big 12 claiming a share of the national title in 1970 when ND spanked them 24-11 in the Cotton bowl.

Probably too big a challenge for even Texas. But I have no doubt they'll make an effort

Around 2016, the Big 12 passed on adding BYU. I wonder how BYU and Texas would have gotten along in the same conference. It's easy to see them butting heads. BYU is a global brand with a lot of money, very powerful and influential people in government, their own tv channel, and some specific needs regarding scheduling and post-mission older players.

Reactions: moralvictories
I’ve disliked them before they even came to the Big 12 claiming a share of the national title in 1970 when ND spanked them 24-11 in the Cotton bowl.

I don't care for em either....I just find it odd our fanbase blames them for, everything...and if we had gone 8-1 against them since that 1970 game, would you be more..."Meh, who cares bout Texas, we iwned em and they can have their fake title"

Good summary. Then came the big 12, which Texass literally did all but destroy due to their politicking and money grabbing ways.

The only reason the B12 is still here is because of the freedom to realign and improve from the conference independence point of view. Texas leaving should actually help - IF the B12 can expand by pulling some pac schools from what is in fact a dying conference.
The PAC still has Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, so they are likely in better shape than the Big 12.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
The PAC still has Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, so they are likely in better shape than the Big 12.
Eh, only two schools in an otherwise sad conference if they lose the Arizona schools to the big 12 (maybe Colorado too?). Plus they might join the B1G in due time, which would really kill the PAC.

Eh, only two schools in an otherwise sad conference if they lose the Arizona schools to the big 12 (maybe Colorado too?). Plus they might join the B1G in due time, which would really kill the PAC.
Perhaps. I don't think the Big 12 offers enough money to lure Utah, Colorado, and the Arizona schools away. Perhaps if the B1G were to expand and take some combination of Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, the four corner schools might join the Big 12 in that scenario. However, I think the PAC is safe until the B1G decides to expand.

Around 2016, the Big 12 passed on adding BYU. I wonder how BYU and Texas would have gotten along in the same conference. It's easy to see them butting heads. BYU is a global brand with a lot of money, very powerful and influential people in government, their own tv channel, and some specific needs regarding scheduling and post-mission older players.
Would be funny to watch another glorified Mountain West team smack Texass around.

Notre Dame is unique - they are the only team that has a truly national fanbase rather than a predominantly regional one - Texas is much more like USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc - all big dogs but unlike ND, they all rely primarily on instate/regional support.
They are different in that sense, but Texas fancies themselves as a semi-elite national academic and athletic university and would like to play a mix of regional and national teams.
Possibly playing OU and aTm in the SEC will be enough, but not sure they will want to play the grind of an SEC schedule every year, traveling to the backwoods of Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Arkansas, etc. frequently.
And admit it, watching Texas lose is just as satisfying and watching ND lose. They have a national "fan base" in that sense Laughing

Only to even more special folks like yourself!

I've been here for years now - I ain't going anywhere 😘
It don't don't get any worse then a never expert brain dead moron such as you as nothing can fix yore kind of stupid as you were born that way, and even the mentally retarded are far more intelligent than you'll ever be!

It doesn't matter what you retort to this as no one gives a flying rats ass about anything you have to say at all and doesn't change the fact that you are one stupid ass m'fr. Have a nice day someplace else bud.

• Haha
I would say that BYU is in some ways a closer comparison to ND than Texas. BYU is part of a church that boasts 16 million plus members and temples worldwide. They have their own tv channel and multiple satellite campuses, including one in Hawaii. Their endowment is close to $2 billion and God knows how much money the LDS church has. The PAC 12 made a mistake is not taking them years ago.

I would say that BYU is in some ways a closer comparison to ND than Texas. BYU is part of a church that boasts 16 million plus members and temples worldwide. They have their own tv channel and multiple satellite campuses, including one in Hawaii. Their endowment is close to $2 billion and God knows how much money the LDS church has. The PAC 12 made a mistake is not taking them years ago.
The PAC is allegedly against taking in religious institutions, yet just a few days ago, the PAC 12 commissioner was at SMU campus trying to get them to join.

Yep. There are significant hurdles (religious beliefs, Sunday scheduling issues, etc) to BYU joining a P5 conference. I just always thought the money, influence, global reach, and fan base they bring in us worth the trouble.

I hate to admit but UT/OU vs ole miss/Miss St, Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, S Carolina is a lot more intriguing to me than USC/UCLA vs Minnesota, Iowa, Wisc, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland

Laughable. Would you call their previous season "pretty good"??? 😂
Not at all. They just have more to spend on Elite talent than any other school. Texas oil, baby. See Manning, Arch…

NIL favors the wealthy programs. Wait a couple years. You’ll see :/

It don't don't get any worse then a never expert brain dead moron such as you as nothing can fix yore kind of stupid as you were born that way, and even the mentally retarded are far more intelligent than you'll ever be!

It doesn't matter what you retort to this as no one gives a flying rats ass about anything you have to say at all and doesn't change the fact that you are one stupid ass m'fr. Have a nice day someplace else bud.
Lmao bro - check your spelling and grammar before you call others retarded 😂🤣🤣😂

Perhaps. I don't think the Big 12 offers enough money to lure Utah, Colorado, and the Arizona schools away. Perhaps if the B1G were to expand and take some combination of Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, the four corner schools might join the Big 12 in that scenario. However, I think the PAC is safe until the B1G decides to expand.
Sounds like Arizona schools are immanent to the big 12 though. We'll see, as these deals seem pretty volatile. But there appears to be some smoke...

I hate to admit but UT/OU vs ole miss/Miss St, Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, S Carolina is a lot more intriguing to me than USC/UCLA vs Minnesota, Iowa, Wisc, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland
definitely see your point, just don’t through Rutgers and Maryland in there.
Instead make it Penn St, Michigan St, Nebraska and Wisconsin..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT