ADVERTISEMENT

Can CFB Teams Hold Joint Practices?

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
Have to think hosting, say, NDSU for a few days during camp would be very beneficial for all parties involved

Why don’t college teams do this? Is it against the “rules”?

Have to think hosting, say, NDSU for a few days during camp would be very beneficial for all parties involved

Why don’t college teams do this? Is it against the “rules”?
Money would be the biggest issue..Like any thing else..

Where’s the issue? It’s a few hour bus ride and a few nights’ stay in the dorms.

Practically zero cost

We pay northern illinois millions to come play us during the season
You used NDSU as a example.. We could host them because we would have room for a team of that size, but traveling to Fargo is around 6 hours and they wouldn’t have enough room in their facilities for let’s say 85 players..

You used NDSU as a example.. We could host them because we would have room for a team of that size, but traveling to Fargo is around 6 hours and they wouldn’t have enough room in their facilities for let’s say 85 players..
Well, yea, we wouldn’t go there. Just like we don’t play @ Troy

They would come here

This is extraordinarily standard in the nfl & is widely viewed as much more valuable than preseason games

I’m sure it’d be a treat for NDSU or whoever to come visit NU for a few days, use the facilities and get some good hard practices in against someone other than themselves

Reactions: WHCSC
I also think teams are getting their freshman up to speed knowing the play book and technique and schemes..

College football isn’t like the NFL where players have been established on the teams they‘ve been on..

I also think teams are getting their freshman up to speed knowing the play book and technique and schemes..

College football isn’t like the NFL where players have been established on the teams they‘ve been on..
nfl rosters have at least the same percentage of rookies and first year players as college football teams if not higher

I have no idea why anyone would be against this idea which would obviously help everyone get ready for the season

Only thing I can think of as to why nobody does it is there must be a “rule” against it

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
nfl rosters have at least the same percentage of rookies and first year players as college football teams if not higher

I have no idea why anyone would be against this idea which would obviously help everyone get ready for the season

Only thing I can think of as to why nobody does it is there must be a “rule” against it
I’m only against if small schools have to go Northwestern. If they do that to their own players - who knows what they would do to others.
Nervous Fetal Position GIF by Big Brother

Reactions: baseball31ne

It’s a maximum of 90 for the NFL…If you include walkons which in our case we have around 110-120..

How long can you have practice in a day in the NFL compared to how long you have practice in College.. I know the NCAA only allows so many hours a day..

Reactions: BleedRed78
The partner is irrelevant

The question is why don’t they happen?
I've decided to stop using examples. You simply can't ask a hypothetical on this site without someone one upping the hypothetical.

We even have some dude saying people from Omaha have fragile egos because it was pointed out that Omaha has a larger metro population than does Miami in a discussion about recruiting to Lincoln. Holy crap

It’s a maximum of 90 for the NFL…If you include walkons which in our case we have around 110-120..

How long can you have practice in a day in the NFL compared to how long you have practice in College.. I know the NCAA only allows so many hours a day..
And you just answered the question why they don’t do it . You have a hour and number limit on practice in the NCAA.

Don't joint practices typically before a preseason game between the two teams? and the NFL isn't as limited on permitted time for practice. This would be dumb

Reactions: scarletred
This is an intriguing idea... The NCAA would have to modify a lot of its life-strangling policies to allow it to happen. I think when the new football division is formed in about 3 years, they should look into it.

I don’t understand why a time limit would get in the way of this

3 days:

Day 1 joint practice
Day 2 scrimmage
Day 3 scrimmage

Same time as when practicing alone

Not like nfl teams are on the field for 6 straight hours, either

3 days:

Day 1 joint practice
Day 2 scrimmage
Day 3 scrimmage

There is a huge difference in talent, understanding the game, level of preparedness etc. between the NFL and CFB.. Doing Scrimmages won't be beneficial to the team. A college freshman v a NFL rookie are 2 entirely different people.. the NFL is a job, CFB is not

I

3 days:

Day 1 joint practice
Day 2 scrimmage
Day 3 scrimmage

believe you are only allowed so many scrimmages also And this would only work in the spring. It’s not necessary the time limit it’s the practice limit. This is an interesting idea ..I just don’t believe the current practice rules would allow it.

There is a huge difference in talent, understanding the game, level of preparedness etc. between the NFL and CFB.. Doing Scrimmages won't be beneficial to the team. A college freshman v a NFL rookie are 2 entirely different people.. the NFL is a job, CFB is not
Scrimmaging wouldn’t be beneficial to the team?

Quite the opinion

Scrimmaging wouldn’t be beneficial to the team?

Quite the opinion
When you're limited to how many practices and you have multiple new guys, young guys, putting in a new system, etc.. Running a scrimmage against someone without your guys understanding what's going on would not be a benefit.. Again, NFL v CFB players are 2 different worlds. CFB players don't come in understanding the complexity of playbooks, schemes, etc. but I'm not going to sit here and argue with you because we all know you're never wrong

When you're limited to how many practices and you have multiple new guys, young guys, putting in a new system, etc.. Running a scrimmage against someone without your guys understanding what's going on would not be a benefit.. Again, NFL v CFB players are 2 different worlds. CFB players don't come in understanding the complexity of playbooks, schemes, etc. but I'm not going to sit here and argue with you because we all know you're never wrong
When exactly do you think guys understand what’s going on?

Depends on the team and coach I'd imagine.. It's not a one size fits all answer. But again enjoy, you're again like always
Your butt seems hurt

Get over it, adult man. It’s game day!

Also LOL @ your “CFB isn’t a job” remark

Naw, you're just annoying as **** and seem to think whatever you say is gospel
“Cfb isn’t a job”

“Scrimmaging doesn’t benefit the team”

Direct quotes from the gospel of stupid

Maybe crying about it will help?

“Cfb isn’t a job”

“Scrimmaging doesn’t benefit the team”

Direct quotes from the gospel of stupid
CFB isn't a job for players that's a fact.. And scrimmages in the fall based on the schedule you posted I don't think would be beneficial

It's a fact that coaches and conferences have already publicly expressed interest in holding joint practices/scrimmages in the fall. It's also a fact that EVERY player now wants to get paid to play. Not sure what's hard about acknowledging reality.

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
Correct. The NCAA limits the number of "contests" that a football team can have, and "contest" is defined to include a joint practice.

"17.02.2 Contest. A contest is any game, match, exhibition, scrimmage or joint practice session with another institution's team, regardless of its formality, in which competition in a sport occurs between an intercollegiate athletics team or individual representing a member institution and any other team or individual not representing the intercollegiate athletics program of the same member institution. (Revised: 1/10/91)"

The MAC withdrew its proposed legislation allowing joint practices, by the way.
MAC withdraws proposal for football joint practices

The partner is irrelevant

The question is why don’t they happen?
Possibly because the corches would fear injuries?

Yes, they happen all the time internally, but would think that higher level of engagement with more pi$$ and vinegar: make it prohibitive.

That said, I like the idea.

🌽

Reactions: king_kong_
Possibly because the corches would fear injuries?

Yes, they happen all the time internally, but would think that higher level of engagement with more pi$$ and vinegar: make it prohibitive.

That said, I like the idea.

🌽
That article I posted the coach (Neal Brown) said they probably wouldn't want to scrimmages but do 7-on-7 etc type stuff. I know for sure that teams get sick of seeing the same damn faces for weeks on end.

I figured some kind of “ncaa rule” was the reason they don’t take place today

Absolute no brainer if allowed

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT