ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Taylor Britt coming back

I'm glad CTB, Jojo, Honas, and Stille are coming back. But that likely prevents our defense from slipping to dogshit next year instead of turning it into a good defense. Even with the good news of players staying, I expect our defense to be no better than average next year when they were below average this year.

Honas and Stille are officially back? Did I miss something?

just giving you his background so you knew who you were conversing with. You've heard the old saying, "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing"? Just call him Cliff Clavens.
Well son of a gun! "Cheers" was just at that time when I was growing up, so naturally, I had to research!

Reactions: dinglefritz
Our defense wasn't actually too bad. Our opponents average yards per play was better than OSU and Notre Dame and 0.1 yyp behind college football God Matt Campbell and ISU. What we need to do is score more on offense (Captain Obvious here) and force more turnovers. If we do that, we could field a defense comparable to Northwestern and Wisconsin.

Our defense wasn't actually too bad. Our opponents average yards per pmaybwas better than OSU and Notre Dame and 0.1 up behind college football God Matt Campbell ISU. What we need to bbn do is score more on offense (Captain Obvious here) and force more turnovers. If we do that, we could field a defense comparable to Northwestern and Wisconsin.

Big issue was our special teams giving up short field for the defense and also our inept/identity-less offense struggling throughout the entire year. The defense was actually pretty solid and kept us in every game except Ohio State although our offense kept turning the ball over.

Our defense wasn't actually too bad. Our opponents average yards per play was better than OSU and Notre Dame and 0.1 yyp behind college football God Matt Campbell and ISU. What we need to do is score more on offense (Captain Obvious here) and force more turnovers. If we do that, we could field a defense comparable to Northwestern and Wisconsin.

And form just an average special teams unit

I certainly would not have thought going into the season that at the end of it, we would be saying the defense wasn’t the problem. With Jojo and CTB coming back, I’m hoping defense can jump up into the top 30-40 range.

Reactions: headcard
I certainly would not have thought going into the season that at the end of it, we would be saying the defense wasn’t the problem. With Jojo and CTB coming back, I’m hoping defense can jump up into the top 30-40 range.
The defense is the problem, and I highly doubt that's going to happen. People were saying we would have a top 30-40 defense this year, and we didn't even do better than the prior year.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
umm Northwestern scored 21 against us, 17 against Wisky and 20 against Iowa....and over Iowa’s last 6 games their lowest point total came against, yep Nebraska... but ya we’re nowhere close....
You guys are hopeless. Those 3 teams have some of the best defenses in the country. We're nowhere freaking close to their level. But keep being shocked when we yet again have a below average defense next year and can't get above 4 wins.

• Haha
Reactions: donahues17
I'm glad CTB, Jojo, Honas, and Stille are coming back. But that likely prevents our defense from slipping to dogshit next year instead of turning it into a good defense. Even with the good news of players staying, I expect our defense to be no better than average next year when they were below average this year.
This. While this is good news for sure, we had a below average defense this year. Everybody else has the same advantage of experienced players returning for an extra year. A couple of our better players returning will help us keep pace with the rest of the conference teams, which also have experienced players retaining eligibility. No more.

Love the dedication to the Huskers and himself wanting to get better. Thanks for coming back. But I dont see the love fest for this guy?

In 8 games he had 2 INTs (Myles Farmer had 2 in 5 games, both in 1st half of a game).

Led team in Punt Returns with 6 for 79 yards (Falk had 1 for 39). We had more punts fair caught than number returned (blocking issues or no confidence by coaches? Who knows). Also possibly the game changing fumble of the year.

Again I am glad he is coming back and dedicating himself to getting better. He did have a great game against Purdue though.

He wasnt in the top 25 in any statistical category (yes he technically only had 7 games due to piss poor tackling technique) but others in top 25 had limited games as well.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
You guys are hopeless. Those 3 teams have some of the best defenses in the country. We're nowhere freaking close to their level. But keep being shocked when we yet again have a below average defense next year and can't get above 4 wins.
You’re hopeless, I give you facts and you respond with that garbage...

Reactions: leodisflowers
Great to get CTB back. That puts us at 11 known scholarship guys. That's one short of a 3 deep. Right now your depth chart could look something like this?

CB Clark, Lynum, Buford
CB CTB, Newsome, Williams
S Farmer,Joseph, Bretz
S Gates or Gifford, Joseph

Nickel - Newsome, Joseph
Dime - Gates or Gifford,Joseph or Buford

Reactions: scarletred
Great to get CTB back. That puts us at 11 known scholarship guys. That's one short of a 3 deep. Right now your depth chart could look something like this?

CB Clark, Lynum, Buford
CB CTB, Newsome, Williams
S Farmer,Joseph, Bretz
S Gates or Gifford, Joseph

Nickel - Newsome, Joseph
Dime - Gates or Gifford,Joseph or Buford

Question now is how Clark, Farmer and Newsome come back from their season ending injuries from last season..

Reactions: TheBeav815
This team could be pretty special next user.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After much thought and consideration........ Let&#39;s take it back for one more ride Husker Nation!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GBR?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#GBR</a> <a href="https://t.co/on3sb5pXZK">pic.twitter.com/on3sb5pXZK</a></p>&mdash; Cam Juice🧃™️ (@CamTaylorBritt5) <a href=" ">January 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Best player on the defense IMO.

Big issue was our special teams giving up short field for the defense and also our inept/identity-less offense struggling throughout the entire year. The defense was actually pretty solid and kept us in every game except Ohio State although our offense kept turning the ball over.
Agreed. The defense was pretty impressive when you consider how little help they got all year. They were repeatedly put in difficult positions.

Interceptions are obviously good, but it's not the stat I would use to evaluate a CB.
It can be deceiving if a guy is just never thrown at or is only a sub package guy. CTB has been refreshing, it feels like there was a secret ban on picking the ball off at Nebraska for a while there.

When Farmer picked two in a game I thought I must be dreaming.

Reactions: cubsker and gw2kpro

Who exactly did any of those teams play that has good to great offenses? I mean Iowa didnt beat a team with a winning record, NWs defense is pretty good Ill give you that. Wisconsins defense caught Covid more then they caught TDs.

Reactions: dinglefritz
So what you're saying is if our offense was as "bad" as our defense, we'd have beaten every team except OSU.

Wouldnt matter. We would give up a long TD drive when mattered the most.

We are lucky Rutgers had people out and dropped passes.

Wouldnt matter. We would give up a long TD drive when mattered the most.

We are lucky Rutgers had people out and dropped passes.
I get that this season sucked, but man, there really isn’t a need to fabricate stuff to accentuate your point.

I could just as easily say Rutgers was lucky AM gave the ball away 4 times in that game. When you look at all the facets of the game, it was total domination when it came to yards, time of possession, first downs, and on down the list. We got 400 more yards of offense than they did. We controlled the game better than any other game we’ve played this year. It just so happens that we also turned it over 4 times keeping the game close to the end.

The defense is the problem, and I highly doubt that's going to happen. People were saying we would have a top 30-40 defense this year, and we didn't even do better than the prior year.
Defense without question isn’t where it needs to be, but *this season* it wasn’t the problem. Nebraska’s 101st ranked scoring offense, was the problem.
The 2009 team with that incredible defense, still lost 4 games because it was paired with that pathetic 99th ranked offense.

ADVERTISEMENT