ADVERTISEMENT

BYU

leodisflowers

Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Anybody heard much, or done much research on them? I have a buddy from BYU that claims they are going to drill us in Lincoln because their offense and defense is unique. I viewed a few of their boards, and most of them are penciling us in as an easy win. Outside of Taysom Hill I didn't see much in the videos I watched. Their RB is decent and have some huge WR's, but their D is pretty bad (probably comparable to Fresno). Obviously waiting to see how Big Red looks, but the only real thing that makes me nervous is Taysom Hill.

Anybody sleeping on them is in for a huge ass whopping. Look what they did to Texass last yr. Hill is very dangerous as well is their offense when he's running it. Very tough game for us I'm thinking.

Anybody heard much, or done much research on them? I have a buddy from BYU that claims they are going to drill us in Lincoln because their offense and defense is unique. I viewed a few of their boards, and most of them are penciling us in as an easy win. Outside of Taysom Hill I didn't see much in the videos I watched. Their RB is decent and have some huge WR's, but their D is pretty bad (probably comparable to Fresno). Obviously waiting to see how Big Red looks, but the only real thing that makes me nervous is Taysom Hill.

Their defense isn't that bad. Their DL is pretty darn good (top 20 rush d) and most of them are back. The linebackers weren't good last year but they look to be much improved with the head coach taking over defensive responsibilities again. The Cougar defensive backfield, though, looks pretty terrible.

If Hill is full speed, and running back Jamaal Williams (also returning from major knee surgery) is too their offense will be one of the most dangerous in the country, if they avoid injuries. No depth at any position on offense but the starters are very, very good.

Any BYU fan that thinks it will be an easy win in Lincoln is being a fanboy, though. Especially not knowing which players will be suspended for the bowl game brawl.

They'll score points on us. We'll have a hard time running on them, but their DB's won't be able to stay with our receivers. May come down to if Armstrong can find and hit the open man.

Any word yet on which BYU players will be suspended for the game? Last I heard it will be around ten. I don't really know who was all involved in the Miami Beach Brawl. I know one guy who will likely be suspended is slated to be their starting SS this year. That will likely hurt what is likely to be a weak secondary.

This is based off of last year, and some of the youtube videos I watched, but I just wasn't at all impressed with their D. I know Bronco is going back to calling the plays, but I thought they were bad. It's going to definitely be interesting. The BYU blogs are pretty comical to read. We have koolaid drinkers, but they take it to a whole new level.

With their qb they are a rear end kicker; without, they are average. They killed Texas and it wasn't a fluke. We better be fired up; we have let teams do well in our stadium. I look at it as a real trap game and will be very happy with any victory; understanding they may have some rust and be down a few guys. We will be oh so new and with new coaches: but we did beat Georgia in a bowl and ran out of time vs USC - we are not quite the patsy many think : we have a very good athletic department and now much improved coaching will ramp us up - Its just how fast the leadership kicks in; I suspect many position coaches will have units outperforming, so its when do we jell.

Any word yet on which BYU players will be suspended for the game? Last I heard it will be around ten. I don't really know who was all involved in the Miami Beach Brawl. I know one guy who will likely be suspended is slated to be their starting SS this year. That will likely hurt what is likely to be a weak secondary.

Around 10-11 guys will be punished for their involvement, but it's not clear at all how many will be suspended for our game, or who. Won't be announced until the week before our game with them.

That starting safety, though, is a pretty likely out.

What I've seen is that BYU fans feel like out of their tough early schedule -- @Nebraska, Boise State, @UCLA, @Michigan -- that we're the most likely one they'll win.

I'm not even concerned about this game. If we lose it will be from inadequate preparation & I don't see that happening. Hill won't even finish the game. Our D will knock him out by the 3rd qtr. Blackshirts Baby!!!

The following dudes will be be out vs Nebraska:

Starting center
Starting Tailback
Starting Strong Safety

I believe the other 8 suspended dudes won't be starters.

Their starting tailback? I'm guessing you don't mean Williams, since he was injured for the bowl game. But if they're out Brown, and Williams isn't ready to play, and their top RB recruit is facing major problems with the law... I'm not sure who else they have.

Losing their center would hurt too, since BYU returns 6 OL who played last year outside of garbage time. Take one away, and a couple of reserves with no experience at all will be playing a good number of snaps against us.

Around 10-11 guys will be punished for their involvement, but it's not clear at all how many will be suspended for our game, or who. Won't be announced until the week before our game with them.

That starting safety, though, is a pretty likely out.

What I've seen is that BYU fans feel like out of their tough early schedule -- @Nebraska, Boise State, @UCLA, @Michigan -- that we're the most likely one they'll win.

I'm a board hound, and from what I've gathered, most BYU fans believe Michigan will be there best chance of a win...

I believe Williams the TB, their starting free safety, and their starting center will be out vs. Nebraska.

Sorry for the confusion. SamMcKewon retorted Williams will not play vs Nebraska due to injury... Not suspension.

I always felt if Taysom Hill tries to go Superman (like he has a tendency to do), we should be alright. Great for the LBs to get an early testing. Our secondary could make it rough for BYU IMO.

BYU has become the boogeyman for some. It's as if they went to a BCS bowl or something last year. Now they're not chopped liver, and they're certainly a real test for an opener, but we should definitely win at home. Just look at they're schedule last year and tell me they're a powerhouse. Obviously, the Texas game looks impressive, but Texas wasn't chit last year.

2014 Strength of Schedule:
BYU was ranked 97th with opponents having a combined record of 71-81, and they went 8-5.
NU was ranked 25th with opponents having a combined record of 90-63. - 9-4

Connecticut W 35–10
Texas W 41–7
Houston W 33–25
Virginia W 41–33
Utah State L 20–35
UCF L 24–31
Nevada L 35–42
Boise State L 30–55
Middle Tennessee W 27–7
UNLV W 42–23
Savannah State W 64–0
California W 42–35
Memphis (Miami Beach Bowl) L 48–55 2OT

I live in Utah and am familiar with their team (BYU alum who grew up in Nebraska). BYU is stacked at the skilled offensive positions (Williams is very good and Hill is awesome when healthy) but have a weak o-line and terrible d-backs. That said I expect their D to play much better this year as Bronco is a talented defensive mind and a great motivator...

I expect a high scoring game - but hope Husker players aren't taking this game lightly. Hill is the type of QB that our linebackers have struggled with under the previous regime. I guess we'll find out how much better Riley and co are if they can get close to stopping him.

I have a buddy from BYU that claims they are going to drill us in Lincoln because their offense and defense is unique.

Mormons are not allowed to drill anybody outside marriage.

I think Texass did a good job showing teams why they need to take bYu seriously. Although they are not an elite team, they recruit well within their religion/region and are usually a well disciplined team. Not an easy assignment for a new head coach's first game. Even if it is at home.

I'm much encouraged by Cornicators post; but this qb is a gamer and motivator, he is the type that takes over games it seems. BYU drops several levels without him; so the key is handling him - the new D attack philosophy should get some hats on him; therein lies the game. I suspect if we get him to float a few passes, its intc time. ...... This should be a tough game for a D coordinator to scheme N. DPE and screens, jet sweeps, there is going to be a lot of speed that is elusive in an open field. Passes that don't require as much field presence or check downs will up the completion % and decrease interceptions. We may be a less experienced O-line; but I think their run blocking is going to be a B1G surprise - IM positive. GBR

Their D will look a lot better if their offense stays on the field for 10 play drives all day. This will not be an easy game if Hill is close to full speed.

Word out here is that Hill worked extremely hard in the off season and is full speed...
Good, now we can just demolish him in his first game and test his resolve.
Additionally, nobody is really mentioning how tough it is for BYU to gameplan for what we're going to do. Obviously, they'll watch OSU tape, but that will only give them so much. They'll definitely need to adjust on the fly.

Reactions: arf_man
They lost him in the Utah State game. Their defense is God Awful. It will be on par with Illinois and Fresno State.

They were solid against the run.....do we have a QB that can beat them with his arm if our run game is shut down? I'm not so sure. With Bronco taking over I expect their defense to turn it around. This game scares me, it could very easily be a loss.

Last edited:
Good, now we can just demolish him in his first game and test his resolve.
Additionally, nobody is really mentioning how tough it is for BYU to gameplan for what we're going to do. Obviously, they'll watch OSU tape, but that will only give them so much. They'll definitely need to adjust on the fly.

The question will be....will we do it well? First game of the season, new system, new coach. At this point, I don't even think the coaches could answer that. I expect there will be some bump in the roads especially on offense.

The question will be....will we do it well? First game of the season, new system, new coach. At this point, I don't even think the coaches could answer that. I expect there will be some bump in the roads especially on offense.
Possibly. Again, BYU's schedule ranked 97th. Not sure how many good running teams they played. Boise St. and Memphis sure moved the ball all over them. Likely the two best teams they played?

this game sucks to begin a new era

very real potential we lose this game and the Riley era is off to a rocky start

I suspect Tulsa Tom already has a rough draft that he will be polishing over the remainder of the summer in the event we lose this game

Something that scares me a little is many of Riley's teams at Oregon State started off slow at the beginning of the season and got better as the season went on. Hopefully he's made adjustments to stop that trend. I still think we'll win this game.

Opening game of the season. New coaching era. Quality opponent. The atmosphere alone should make this game difficult for BYU. Hopefully the crowd maintains the intensity even if we struggle early.

They were solid against the run.....do we have a QB that can beat them with his arm if our run game is shut down? I'm not so sure. With Bronco taking over I expect their defense to turn it around. This game scares me, it could very easily be a loss.

They played a schedule full of teams that couldn't run the football to save their ass.

Let's look at those opponents whom were shut down:

Savannah State- worst team in FCS
UConn- 116th in rushing
Central Florida- 103rd
Texas - 99th

Virginia - 97th, Cavs still ran for 200 yards
Cal - 84th- Cal still ran for nearly 200 yards vs BYU

Utah State- 49th
Houston -42nd
Memphis- 38th
Nevada- 36th
Middle Tenn State- 30th

Boise State- 28th ... Boise ran for 250 yards

Do you see the theme here? They fattened up on some WAC, MWC, Sun Belt, and American teams. Other than Texas, who effing sucked last season, every time they faced an opponent with Power 5 offensive linemen, they were shredded.

Let's keep this in perspective:

Nebraska sucked vs the run under Pelini. But vs Fresno State, one of the top rushing teams in the Mountain West, they held the Bulldogs to 106 yards on 44 carries.

BYU will not stop the run vs. Nebraska. They won't even stop Nebraska and Tommy from throwing the football. Their defense is hot garbage.

If they beat Nebraska, it will be because the Huskers defense cant stop the Cougars in a shootout.

They played a schedule full of teams that couldn't run the football to save their ass.

UConn- 116th in rushing
Central Florida- 103rd
Texas - 99th

Utah State- 49th
Houston -42nd
Memphis- 38th
Nevada- 36th
Middle Tenn State- 30th

Do you see the theme here? They fattened up on some WAC, MWC, Sun Belt, and American teams. Other than Texas, who effing sucked last season, every time they faced an opponent with Power 5 offensive linemen, they were shredded.

Nebraska sucked vs the run under Pelini. But vs Fresno State, one of the top rushing teams in the Mountain West, they held the Bulldogs to 106 yards on 44 carries.

BYU will not stop the run vs. Nebraska. They won't even stop Nebraska and Tommy from throwing the football. Their defense is hot garbage.

If they beat Nebraska, it will be because the Huskers defense cant stop the Cougars in a shootout.

Welp! There it is. Great job Corn. GBR,

Something that scares me a little is many of Riley's teams at Oregon State started off slow at the beginning of the season and got better as the season went on. Hopefully he's made adjustments to stop that trend. I still think we'll win this game.

Actually that was more indicative of a program which constantly had to rebuild with inferior talent. When Oregon State had experienced laden teams they rarely started slowly.

UConn- 116th in rushing
Central Florida- 103rd
Texas - 99th

Utah State- 49th
Houston -42nd
Memphis- 38th
Nevada- 36th
Middle Tenn State- 30th

I hope you're right...I'm more concerned about how our offense will be in it's first game in a new system. If we take care of the ball and limit Hill we should be alright.

this game sucks to begin a new era

very real potential we lose this game and the Riley era is off to a rocky start

I suspect Tulsa Tom already has a rough draft that he will be polishing over the remainder of the summer in the event we lose this game
Oh c'mon. Nebraska should not lose the BYU game but if it does the coach (who is paid to win games) will deserve the questions he gets.

Whining about a quality opponent to start a season because it's tough on the new coach? Life can be so unfair sometimes.

I hope you're right...I'm more concerned about how our offense will be in it's first game in a new system. If we take care of the ball and limit Hill we should be alright.

That's a valid concern, but here's my take:

1. Langsdorf and Riley are familiar with the Mendenhall defense. They are going to put together an offensive game plan that the offense can effectively run vs. That scheme.

They know they don't have to completely re build and start from scratch. They can integrate a lot of multiplicity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT