ADVERTISEMENT

Bye Bye, NLI

king_kong_

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
will be replaced with something much more in the neighborhood of a contract, given the latest ruling against the NCAA and a sort of "payroll" coming to college football

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Jay Moore and Jeremiah Sirles who is an agent now I guess were talking about this on Big Red Wrap Up last night. It all sounds confusing as hell right now. Public vs private schools. Employee, employer. Benefits? Firing players aka employees. Schools are going to get their 22 million to use to pay players. Revenue sharing. Contracts. Who gets what? Football, etc. QBs get X amount. O lineman, etc. It needs some kind of oversight and regulation. Like the NFL. They all agreed 1890 and Nebraska are all staying ahead of the game and are in good shape for the future.

Last edited:
will be replaced with something much more in the neighborhood of a contract, given the latest ruling against the NCAA and a sort of "payroll" coming to college football

Don't know how this will play out, but I HATE the current system of NIL and portal transfers.

Don't know how this will play out, but I HATE the current system of NIL and portal transfers.
NIL different then NLI. NLI (national letter of intent) is worthless in today's age of college free agency. NIL will be the bane of college sports until they actually begin to regulate it. It starts with a "salary cap" per university or program.

Not the same thing (NCAA vs NJCAA), but one of my son's juco teammates got suspended for 6 games because he was dumb and signed two NLI's. Literally just a stupid mistake by a kid. Initially he was suspended for an entire season and I was like, in today's environment they're gonna punish a kid for this nonsense? I just want the system to make sense, but I'm afraid that's not possible anymore.

Reactions: king_kong_
Concur. It cannot get worse than status quo.

Current system is like someone went to the drawing board, dissected several different systems, took the very worst components of each of those systems, and stitched them all together.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT