ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back the option...

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
After years of suffering, I never thought I would say this but I think we need to go back to our roots! The option game!! This would be nearly impossible to prep for with only a week or 2 between games. The option with a little more passing etc. then our teams during the great 40 plus year run!!

Reactions: Bonerfarts
After years of suffering, I never thought I would say this but I think we need to go back to our roots! The option game!! This would be nearly impossible to prep for with only a week or 2 between games. The option with a little more passing etc. then our teams during the great 40 plus year run!!
We kinda did that this year though... Can win some with it but not as much as we want.

We need a veer and shoot type offense. OSU just proved their pass happy air raid stuff ain't gonna do it. If we could get a top intelligent passing QB to execute option routes in the deep passing game, with power running when the numbers are advantage is in the box (including selective QB run game) plus good defense is how I believe a team can play a system of football worth committing to at a place like Nebraska in the 21st century.

We kinda did that this year though... Can win some with it but not as much as we want.

We need a veer and shoot type offense. OSU just proved their pass happy air raid stuff ain't gonna do it. If we could get a top intelligent passing QB to execute option routes in the deep passing game, with power running when the numbers are advantage is in the box (including selective QB run game) plus good defense is how I believe a team can play a system of football worth committing to at a place like Nebraska in the 21st century.
Who does that now?

This again? TO was what was special, he spent decades building a formula, learning what did and didn’t work, gaining his feel and patience to win when it mattered. The offense was a result of that long developed effort, not the driver or the reason TO was successful. That offense worked because you had OL coaches that knew and could teach the blocking schemes to perfection. It worked because they had executed those plays tens of thousands of times.

We don’t have the quality lineman at this time to make option football work and we sure don’t have QB that know‘s how to run it properly..

It worked because they had executed those plays tens of thousands of times.
doesn’t everything work because of practice? at one point TO was running this offense well with less experience on it.

But I think had TO stuck around he’d have eventually ended up going toward more of a spread option / passing more style

Nobody marries with the idea they're going to divorce though we know based on stats it's prolly gonna happen...now with how easy they have made it to quit and move on in college footbalI I have to chuckle a little when somebody says "where they're going to spend the next 4 years"...believe it when I see it now. I'd suggest just celebrating your decision about your college choice because odds are, players are going to quit and go somewhere else.

Yeah that would suck having to develop guys to be elite in a system no one else/very few others run. It would never work.
It worked perfectly at Georgia Tech and the military academies are always power houses. I’m sure you’re right.

Also nearly impossible to recruit elite level athletes to. Paul Johnson was as good of an option coach that existed since TO and he could only get to 6-7 wins.
That's because his defense was usually trash. His offenses were never the problem.

Reactions: Bruce1981
We brought it back. Our QBs don't understand it and refuse to pitch it
Nebraska ran a G(belly) “option” a few times this year. It is by far the easiest under-center option play to implement for a team that isn’t an option team, and it still usually looked terrible.

They ran the crap out of it in the spring and pre-season practices too.

Reactions: king_kong_
We just need an identity on offense. I don’t care if it’s option, spread, or even air raid. Just commit to an offense and recruit the best talent possible to fit it.
Exactly, I don't care but this crap of running some of everything is stupid and is killing us. If you are going to run option then you need to run it and build other plays off it not run it a few times a game. I hope Rhule is trying to appease our dipshit crowd with his fullback, option and TO said the wind crap in his first year and he will wake the hell up and find a damn scheme

Nebraska ran a G(belly) “option” a few times this year. It is by far the easiest under-center option play to implement for a team that isn’t an option team, and it still usually looked terrible.

They ran the crap out of it in the spring and pre-season practices too.
Put it on tape enough to set up a backbreaking 70 yard touchdown

Even when it doesn’t work it can work if you commit to it

I don’t believe we ran a single play from the I yesterday but could be wrong

Reactions: Truewooper

Define roots.

Reactions: dragonraider1
We just need an identity on offense. I don’t care if it’s option, spread, or even air raid. Just commit to an offense and recruit the best talent possible to fit it.
So what do you say to the "coach to your talent" crowd? Riley adapted to having Armstrong, Rhule adapted to having HH, then Chubba.

I honestly do not know what people are looking for or asking when they talk this identity thing. Is running an identity? Is passing an identity?

Reactions: WHCSC
So what do you say to the "coach to your talent" crowd? Riley adapted to having Armstrong, Rhule adapted to having HH, then Chubba.

I honestly do not know what people are looking for or asking when they talk this identity thing. Is running an identity? Is passing an identity?
Something you're known for. Osborne was know for power running game but he passed it enough to get the job done. In the case of him wanting a veer and shoot, the receivers are lined up outside the hashes most of the time. Their slot receivers are usually wider than most teams outside receivers. It gets run support defense away from the box and is great for switch and rub routes. The route tree shrinks though with limited space and the receivers run choice routes.

Truth is Tommie Frazier said it as well they don't practice the option enough to run that classic option. Some teams check to it when I assume there is a look they like where there is a decent chance of limited help on the defense, so you are only worrying about the pitchman.

The number of times I see our QBs not attacking the pitch read is disgusting. Or they don't read them at all and just opt to keep it no matter what. It has to be practiced time and time again.

What OP is talking about is what Liberty is kind of running. Good luck though no one else is running it and jury is still out if that version would work in the BIG.

I do like the Art Briles style of offense. Power Run out of the gun line up Wrs on the outside and keep the reads easy.

Last edited:
Something you're known for. Osborne was know for power running game but he passed it enough to get the job done. In the case of him wanting a veer and shoot, the receivers are lined up outside the hashes most of the time. Their slot receivers are usually wider than most teams outside receivers. It gets run support defense away from the box and is great for switch and rub routes. The route tree shrinks though with limited space and the receivers run choice routes.
We’re known for turnovers. So there’s that identity.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce1981
Put it on tape enough to set up a backbreaking 70 yard touchdown

Even when it doesn’t work it can work if you commit to it

I don’t believe we ran a single play from the I yesterday but could be wrong
I think we need more plays from under center. More FB as a lead blocker. Iso, counter, pitch, reverse. Then run some option off of that. And as you said, take some deep shots off of that.

I think the identity would be inside running team that mixes in the option and likes to throw downfield. And I’m all for adding in some Veer or Power I. Hell, hire Ron Minnick as a consultant and run some Wing T. Just something different that can gain yards. To get decent at whatever they do, they need to eliminate other stuff. That’s the key, not running the same offense as everyone else.

Last edited:
My preferred offensive style is the one where we score points and do not turn it over four times a game. My preferred offensive style is one with an offensive line that can run and pass block without whiffing every other down or getting false start penalties at the worst time. My preferred offensive style is one where we don't lose yards on first down 50% of the time. My preferred offensive style is one where we have an actual quarterback running the show and not someone who is play-acting out a boyhood dream of being a quarterback even if he has zero talent for it.

I would like here to apply the words of Steve Martin at the car rental desk in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" after being left stranded in the car rental lot where his rental car was not there:

"I want a f$cking Datsun, a f$cking Toyota, a f$cking Mustang, a f$cking Buick. Four f$cking wheels and a seat."

That is how I feel about our offense right now. Give me whatever f$cking offense that works. A f$cking quarterback and a f$cking offensive line. Such an offense would be safe for highway travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
My preferred offensive style is the one where we score points and do not turn it over four times a game. My preferred offensive style is one with an offensive line that can run and pass block without whiffing every other down or getting false start penalties at the worst time. My preferred offensive style is one where we don't lose yards on first down 50% of the time. My preferred offensive style is one where we have an actual quarterback running the show and not someone who is play-acting out a boyhood dream of being a quarterback even if he have zero talent for it.

I would like here to apply the words of Steve Martin at the car rental desk in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" after being left stranded in the car rental lot where his rental car was not there:

"I want a f$cking Datsun, a f$cking Toyota, a f$cking Mustang, a f$cking Buick. Four f$cking wheels and a seat."

That is how I feel about our offense right now. Give me whatever f$cking offense that works. A f$cking quarterback and a f$cking offensive line. Such an offense would be safe for highway travel.
steve martin film GIF

How about just bring back winning football!! Don’t give a shit how anymore.. just F’n WIN!!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It, it.. is quite simple. We simply change the, uh... playbook back to 1994 and then everyone will know we are a team to be feared again!!!! It is our Roots. Go Big Option!!!!!! :)

The roots go back many more years than '94 so.....

Who is known for the veer? Not Nebraska. I hired a HS coach many years ago that adopted the veer and used it at two different schools with great success. He is now coaching at the college level. Who is "him" and what is a "veer and shoot"?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT