ADVERTISEMENT

Breweries

huskeralk

Walk On
Oct 7, 2001
I'm going to be in Lincoln towards the end of a month for a golf outing. Our group will be staying in downtown Lincoln. I'm a big fan of microbrews so I'm wanting to go check out what Lincoln has to offer. I need suggestions for breweries within walking distance of the Hyatt.

Seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a microbrew place in Lincoln anymore. Haven't been there but have heard good things about Hop Cat.

Reactions: huskeralk
Seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a microbrew place in Lincoln anymore. Haven't been there but have heard good things about Hop Cat.
That's perfect. Looks like it's within stumbling distance of our hotel. Thanks!

Actually I just looked it up and it looks like it's just a bar that serves microbrews. I'll still have to check it out.

Actually a really good idea is to go to the Lincoln Visitors Bureau office. It's downtown. You can get a booklet there that allows you to get a free pint at one of the 10-15 microbreweries in the downtown area.

Don't say I never did nothin' for ya.

(White Elm, Empyrean, and Zipline are all amazing.)

Actually a really good idea is to go to the Lincoln Visitors Bureau office. It's downtown. You can get a booklet there that allows you to get a free pint at one of the 10-15 microbreweries in the downtown area.

Thanks, I'll see if I can make it there. We roll into town at noon on Saturday and play our first round. Then go to the hotel to clean up and hit the town. I don't know if it will still be open by the time we make it there. Thanks for the brewery suggestions though. I've tried Zipline but have never been to the actual brewery before. I noticed they have a Kinkaider there too. I stopped by the one in Grand Island one day on a work trip. Wasn't too impressed with the beers that I picked but there were others that I still need to try.

Boiler brewing is the best in Lincoln, new beers all the time and they brew any kind of beer you could want, also it’s right downtown right off 10th and O.

Boiler hands down. I’m a bit of a beer snob and I visit every time I’m in Lincoln. I’ve heard good things about white elm as well. Pick up some toppling Goliath IPA’s if you haven’t had any from them (it’s from Iowa but is distributed in Lincoln). Idk if you can get Kros Strain in Lincoln but it’s also very good. The beer scene in Lincoln/Omaha has gotten much better since I lived there and you can pick up some great out of region stuff that’s distributed there.

Boiler hands down. I’m a bit of a beer snob and I visit every time I’m in Lincoln. I’ve heard good things about white elm as well. Pick up some toppling Goliath IPA’s if you haven’t had any from them (it’s from Iowa but is distributed in Lincoln). Idk if you can get Kros Strain in Lincoln but it’s also very good. The beer scene in Lincoln/Omaha has gotten much better since I lived there and you can pick up some great out of region stuff that’s distributed there.

Yeah, I agree that it has gotten better. Kros Strain is absolutely incredible, and I've noticed they don't mind charging more for their products. I'm a huge fan of Zipline, and Empyrean has been around for a really long time.

I have relatives that live in Madison, WI, and they used to be like "Pfftt, you guys have no good beer here." That has changed dramatically in the last 5 years even. Now, both Omaha and Lincoln have a few breweries that could totally hang with the excellent, world-class beer Wisconsin puts out. It's been a very welcome change.

Boiler’s done some good stuff -I was just there last week and it was a tad underwhelming, but I know they’re capable. White Elm has done a few specials but not walking distance necessarily.

Nebraska breweries still are lagging behind and need to step up their game as a whole. I think it’s happening, but wish it happened faster.

I just spent a week in Colorado touring breweries and microbreweries from Fort Collins to Vail to Colorado Springs. I had a blast. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Lincoln but if the breweries or anything like that any of them will be fine.

I just spent a week in Colorado touring breweries and microbreweries from Fort Collins to Vail to Colorado Springs. I had a blast. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Lincoln but if the breweries or anything like that any of them will be fine.

Interesting I'm planning a trip to Colorado next month..

Any suggestions on microbreweries or Golf courses?

Boiler Brewing , Zipline, White Elm are the 3 must sees for sure. Then you have Code Beer, Backswing, and some others

One of the funnest things I've done with the wife is take our Bicycles 45miles through Minneapolis/ St Paul ( 7 breweries) and 35miles Fort Collins (8 breweries) hitting up every brewery we could on the loop for an afternoon/evening.

Reactions: ScienceGuy08

Just the tip of the iceberg but my faves in the Denver area.

Golf
Fossil Trace
Arrowhead
Homestead (short but very scenic )

Breweries
Little Machine
Cerebral
Black Project (all sour)
Declaration
Mockery
Call to Arms
Jagged Mountain

I don't get out of Denver for golf much unfortunately but Weldworks Brewing in Greeley is second to none IMHO. If you like sour beer get a ticket to Casey Brewing in Glenwood. Highly regarded nationwide and well worth the trip. Plenty of other stuff to to up there too.

Last edited:
Just the tip of the iceberg but my faves in the Denver area.

Golf
Fossil Trace
Arrowhead
Homestead (short but very scenic )

Breweries
Little Machine
Cerebral
Black Project (all sour)
Declaration
Mockery
Call to Arms
Jagged Mountain

I don't get out of Denver for golf much unfortunately but Weldworks Brewing in Greeley is second to none IMHO. If you like sour beer get a ticket to Casey Brewing in Glenwood. Highly regarded nationwide and well worth the trip. Plenty of other stuff to to up there too.

Appreciate the information.

I liked Lefthand a lot. It’s up in Longmont. Their tour is pretty cool. They have a nitro milk stout that’s really good. Plus they have their experimental brews on tap in the tap house. So you can always get something you’ve never had.

As far as food goes I would hit hops and pie and the Denver biscuit company. Both were real good

Reactions: scarletred

Drinking IPA's doesn't make you a beer snob. It makes you a hipster.

Grab 10-15 of the booklets and start bar hopping! :D

Drinking IPA's doesn't make you a beer snob. It makes you a hipster.

Haha. Trust me. Just because it’s an “IPA” doesn’t mean it’s good. 99% of IPA would get a “pass” from me. Unfortunately it’s a product of what’s easily available to me. And I would take a top notch stout or sour over a top IPA any day.

Haha. Trust me. Just because it’s an “IPA” doesn’t mean it’s good. 99% of IPA would get a “pass” from me. Unfortunately it’s a product of what’s easily available to me. And I would take a top notch stout or sour over a top IPA any day.

Are you in Portland?

Agree with this. The style is largely irrelevant. Any of them can range from excellent to good/average to dog shampoo. Belgian ales are tops for me but I'm down with just about any style... stouts, porters, brown ales, pale ales, IPAs, lagers, pilsners, sours, saisons, goses, whatever, so long as it stands out in its class or group. Or if it's something I've simply never tried.

Drinking an Anchor Steam as I write this. Saw a six-pack for $8 and change at the local intoxicants mart. When I see an old favorite for that price, it's a yes just about any time I'm in buying mode. That same value premium leads to a sixer of PBR tallboys for $6ish on occasion despite hipsters putting their mark on the brand. My dad drank PBR when I was growing up so I inherited that as my swill of choice. Whatever swill you choose, tallboys ftw. Can't beat 33% more beer for roughly the same price.

Steam_CanBottlePint_v2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CC_Lemming
At a beer share tonight, so far I have tried:

Treehouse doubleganger
Treehouse green
Treehouse aaalter ego
Treehouse single shot
Treehouse triple shot
Night shift harborside gose
Hermit thrush Brattlebeer
Stillwater Oude Bae sour
Trillium permutation 46 double ipa with Nelson
OEC tempus sour
Toppling Goliath king sue

New England is the pinnacle of beer culture right now in my opinion and has unfortunately altered my perception of “good beer”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT