ADVERTISEMENT

Brennon Scott...2020 class 5.8 4 star OLB on the Huskers radar and could be visiting soon

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska

Kansas has held a commitment from Scott since August, when he chose the Jayhawks over USC, Texas, LSU, and a few others. Oregon is still a possibility for an official visit in January and SMU could get one as well. Nebraska and Arkansas have been mentioned as potential official visit destinations too before he signs in February.”

quoted from the Rivals main page by Adam Friedman.

this would be awesome to get this guy in and get him locked down. I have no clue what our chances are here but sounds like we are in the picture. GBR

Marcus Arroyo is now HC at UNLV. Perhaps there was an existing relationship is Oregon had shown interest as a Junior.

Looks like he was commited to KU until Jan 7th. Then he committed to UNLV on the 19th. He has a offers from a bunch of solid schools. Makes you wonder why UNLV of all schools.
he gets to break in a bran new billion dollar stadium in the heart of Vegas... that'd be my assumption

Something happened at KU where they moved on from him (prompting his commitment to UNLV). Could possibly be grades/eligibility issues?

Something happened at KU where they moved on from him (prompting his commitment to UNLV). Could possibly be grades/eligibility issues?

I’d have to guess it’s the other way around. He left them, not Kansas letting go of him. With his talent and their lack of talent Miles wouldn’t be smart not to take a little chance here for a talent like Scott on the defensive side of the ball. Who really knows, maybe Scott started getting more attention from schools he’s been waiting to hear from or something like that. Ultimately it doesn’t matter, he’s back on the market and our Huskers are in line for a visit to land him.

I thought the kid that just committed to Iowa was too short to play OLB and he’s taller than this kid

Reactions: dinglefritz
I maintain there's something up with this kid. Look at his offer list. Once he decommitted from KU (still not sure they didn't drop him) none of those other schools came back after him. Even hometown SMU backed off. He was reduced to "committing" to UNLV. Something doesn't add up on this one.

I wonder if his step brother Dale makes it as well
Stepbrothers-yep-gif-1-.gif

Reactions: leodisflowers
'Due to changes' with KU football, LB Brennon Scott decommits
  • by Scott Chasen
  • Jan 7, 3:59 PM
9129653.jpg

A one-time four-star (and now three-star) linebacker has decommitted from the Jayhawks' 2020 class.

Brennon Scott, a three star high school outside linebacker who was projected inside at the college level, is no longer committed to KU football. In his note announcing the news, Scott did not mention by name KU assistant Emmett Jones, who recruited him to the Jayhawks, but he did say that due "to changes in the KU [football] program" he made the decision to open up his recruitment.

To date, the only changes that have come since the end of Les Miles' first season as coach have been the loss of the team's strength coach, as well as the departure of safeties coach Clint Bowen, the former of whom now has a similar role at Missouri, while the latter holds the defensive coordinator spot at North Texas.

First off, I want to thank coach Les Miles and [his] staff for offering me a scholarship," Scott wrote in his Twitter message. "I have shared many laughs and wisdom that I will take into my future, but [d]ue to changes in the KU [football] program I decided it's better off if I decommit from the University of Kansas and explore the best possible opportunity for myself. ...

"No love lost. Thank you."

First, with regard to Scott, the 6-foot linebacker was always seen as a very soft commitment in the Jayhawks' class, as he continued to gauge the interest of schools even after his commitment to KU.

In fact, on Dec. 19, Scott tweeted that while he's "still very much committed to KU," he was also "open to any and all schools," while adding his "recruitment is still open."

Scott has an official visit set to Arkansas for 10 days from now. That was set in late December.

Want the latest KU basketball headlines sent to your inbox? Click to sign up for Phog.net's daily newsletter!

On the KU side of things, one potential change in the program could come if the Jayhawks lose their talented wide receivers coach, who, again, recruited Scott to KU. 247Sports' Texas site, Horns247, has reported Jones, a former receivers coach at Texas Tech and previous DFW-area high school coach is a candidate for the Texas wide receivers coach vacancy.

Jones helped the Jayhawks pull in one four-star Texas high school signee in his first recruiting cycle with the Jayhawks, and several other big names out of Dallas have joined the KU program over his tenure, including three-star running back Velton Gardner, who showed flashes in limited use last season, and Lawrence Arnold, a three-star wideout who committed and signed with KU in the 2020 class.

Reached for comment by 247Sports, Scott chose not to elaborate on his Twitter post.

If this is correct, it looks like Scott dropped KU do to the guy recruiting him left. But it was definitely Not KU dropping him. But who really knows. He is visiting Arkansas soon and potentially the Huskers in the near future. We will see soon enough.

Last edited:
4-star prep LB Brennon Scott decommits from KU football

Story by Benton Smith

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

FootballRecruiting_Dec17_2015_t420.png

The Kansas football program lost the pledge of its most heralded 2020 prospect on Tuesday.

Brennon Scott, a four-star linebacker from Dallas, announced on Twitter his decision to decommit from the Jayhawks.

In a note regarding his change of heart, Scott thanked head coach Les Miles and the KU staff for offering him a scholarship. However, Scott noted “changes in the (KU football) program” led him to back out of his commitment and “explore the best possible opportunity for myself.”

Previously considered the best prospect tied to KU in the Class of 2020, Scott, the only four-star player per Rivals in the Jayhawks’ recruiting class, originally committed in early August, choosing KU over the likes of Texas, USC, Auburn and Oregon.

Scott, a standout at Bishop Dunne High, was recruited by KU receivers coach and Dallas native Emmett Jones.

KU announced the signing of 19 high school seniors during December’s early signing period, but it was known at the time Scott planned to wait until February to sign.

He was one of a handful of players committed to KU who didn’t sign in December. The others who are verbally committed to signing next month are Alabama cornerback JaCobee Bryant, Louisiana defensive lineman Kenean Caldwell and Florida defensive end Chris Jones.

'Due to changes' with KU football, LB Brennon Scott decommits
  • by Scott Chasen
  • Jan 7, 3:59 PM
9129653.jpg

A one-time four-star (and now three-star) linebacker has decommitted from the Jayhawks' 2020 class.

Brennon Scott, a three star high school outside linebacker who was projected inside at the college level, is no longer committed to KU football. In his note announcing the news, Scott did not mention by name KU assistant Emmett Jones, who recruited him to the Jayhawks, but he did say that due "to changes in the KU [football] program" he made the decision to open up his recruitment.

To date, the only changes that have come since the end of Les Miles' first season as coach have been the loss of the team's strength coach, as well as the departure of safeties coach Clint Bowen, the former of whom now has a similar role at Missouri, while the latter holds the defensive coordinator spot at North Texas.

First off, I want to thank coach Les Miles and [his] staff for offering me a scholarship," Scott wrote in his Twitter message. "I have shared many laughs and wisdom that I will take into my future, but [d]ue to changes in the KU [football] program I decided it's better off if I decommit from the University of Kansas and explore the best possible opportunity for myself. ...

"No love lost. Thank you."

First, with regard to Scott, the 6-foot linebacker was always seen as a very soft commitment in the Jayhawks' class, as he continued to gauge the interest of schools even after his commitment to KU.

In fact, on Dec. 19, Scott tweeted that while he's "still very much committed to KU," he was also "open to any and all schools," while adding his "recruitment is still open."

Scott has an official visit set to Arkansas for 10 days from now. That was set in late December.

Want the latest KU basketball headlines sent to your inbox? Click to sign up for Phog.net's daily newsletter!

On the KU side of things, one potential change in the program could come if the Jayhawks lose their talented wide receivers coach, who, again, recruited Scott to KU. 247Sports' Texas site, Horns247, has reported Jones, a former receivers coach at Texas Tech and previous DFW-area high school coach is a candidate for the Texas wide receivers coach vacancy.

Jones helped the Jayhawks pull in one four-star Texas high school signee in his first recruiting cycle with the Jayhawks, and several other big names out of Dallas have joined the KU program over his tenure, including three-star running back Velton Gardner, who showed flashes in limited use last season, and Lawrence Arnold, a three-star wideout who committed and signed with KU in the 2020 class.

Reached for comment by 247Sports, Scott chose not to elaborate on his Twitter post.

If this is correct, it looks like Scott dropped KU do to the guy recruiting him left. But it was definitely Not KU dropping him. But who really knows. He is visiting Arkansas soon and potentially the Huskers in the near future. We will see soon enough.

Except the guy you are referring to (Emmett Jones) never left.

I’d have to guess it’s the other way around. He left them, not Kansas letting go of him. With his talent and their lack of talent Miles wouldn’t be smart not to take a little chance here for a talent like Scott on the defensive side of the ball. Who really knows, maybe Scott started getting more attention from schools he’s been waiting to hear from or something like that. Ultimately it doesn’t matter, he’s back on the market and our Huskers are in line for a visit to land him.
And proceeded to commit to UNLV? Yeah ok:rolleyes:

The only real "news" in this thread is.... there's a journalist covering KU football? Who knew?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT