ADVERTISEMENT

Bob and Doug

This is one of the most ignorant posts you've added. We come out with new, amazing discoveries every day. How can you see no value in having space exploration or NASA in general? We as a society need to keep progressing. Why cut funding to NASA instead of the trillion dollars spent on an airplane that will never be built? Or the over-inflated defense budget? Or the trillions we threw at the stock market so that big companies can buy back their stocks at low prices only to resell them later for a profit?

There are so many other factors in play than just "hurr durr NASA bad cuz they smart".

As for your other wasteful spending comments, I didn't say I amnot for a fight against those.

The fact is regarding amazing discoveries, most of them have been found. Now it is largely application of those technologies. I think of it as horizontal discoveries. Finally, even pre covid, the economy was not growing fast enough. The free market does a pretty good of R & D if growth is good.

As for your other wasteful spending comments, I didn't say I amnot for a fight against those.

The fact is regarding amazing discoveries, most of them have been found. Now it is largely application of those technologies. I think of it as horizontal discoveries. Finally, even pre covid, the economy was not growing fast enough. The free market does a pretty good of R & D if growth is good.

This is where I have to assume you're 100% trolling. You have no idea what's possible and what can be discovered. Technology advances at a staggering rate. Well beyond what you could imagine. Just in the last 20 years we have changed how we build computer chips to maximize efficiency. And that's just one example that I'm sure you're unaware of.

When new materials are discovered or created, those can then be used to make other things better. 10 years from now will look radically different than today. Saying things like "ope, guess we discovered everything. No need to every change" is such a defeatist attitude. We can always get better. We can always get more efficient.

Reactions: leodisflowers
So space experts ... hypothetically if we could put a massive telescope one light day away from earth. 16 billion miles. Pointed back at earth. And the telescope was strong enough to magnify the image of earth. We could watch yesterday....correct?

Reactions: Crazyhole
So space experts ... hypothetically if we could put a massive telescope one light day away from earth. 16 billion miles. Pointed back at earth. And the telescope was strong enough to magnify the image of earth. We could watch yesterday....correct?
just have it move away from earth at the speed of light and time stands still.

This is where I have to assume you're 100% trolling. You have no idea what's possible and what can be discovered. Technology advances at a staggering rate. Well beyond what you could imagine. Just in the last 20 years we have changed how we build computer chips to maximize efficiency. And that's just one example that I'm sure you're unaware of.

When new materials are discovered or created, those can then be used to make other things better. 10 years from now will look radically different than today. Saying things like "ope, guess we discovered everything. No need to every change" is such a defeatist attitude. We can always get better. We can always get more efficient.

You don't need to go to space to do these things. Why can't you understand that?

I understand plenty. Electronic chips and plenty more. No troll. Critic yes.

I dare you to find a promising technology that must be done in space that would benefit mankind. And throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks is wasteful.

TANG (drops mich) (ok, maybe not tech, but still)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT