ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Pelini Still Mad

OAHU-SKER

Walk On
Jun 21, 2018
Nice article brought to us by The Spun about one second left.

Whether or not you are a Bo fan, it’s nice to hear him be candid about the 09 Big 12 Championship.

One thing I never realized, unless I’m mistaken, is that the clock running out was not something that could legally be reviewed at that time.

When did the 12-3-6 rule come into play?

Reactions: dinglefritz
I seem to recall a similar incident where the field had to be cleared and one second placed back on the clock so a game winning field goal could be attempted in the 1994 Orange Bowl

• Haha
Reactions: IowaFansR_Buffoons
I seem to recall a similar incident where the field had to be cleared and one second placed back on the clock so a game winning field goal could be attempted in the 1994 Orange Bowl
It isn’t similar. The official time is kept by an official on the field. The scoreboard and what you see in the TV is just an estimate. The officials often correct the scoreboard operator, like they did in the OB. That’s not at all what happened in the b12 game.

Obviously a troll, but here goes nothing... These aren't the same, the clock stops after a 1st down in college, which is what happened in the OB. McCoy made a horrible play by waiting to throw the ball away and the clock ran out.

Yep would have changed the entire trajectory of the program.

We were staring down back to back conference championships.

2 BCS bowl.bids in a row

And our fans have a major attitude adjustment.
I don’t buy that it would’ve changed anything, other than the fact that our championshipless streak would now be at 13 years instead of 23.

We had a grand opportunity the very next season, hyping up the Texas game as “Red Out Around the World”, making :01 t-shirts, etc against a mediocre Texas team with a bad QB. We squandered it as the #5 team in the country. Nothing makes me think we would’ve been better equipped to win that game had we won the year prior. In fact, we should’ve been even more motivated to win that game due to the loss in 09.

Then again against OU at the championship. Completely irrelevant from the 09 Texas game.

If Bo’s demise was truly due to the fact that we may have been screwed in 2009, then he’s not as great a coach as many want to believe.

I would say this, in hindsight, the bad call was one of the reasons we started looking to leave. I am glad we ended up in the BIG, especially after when is currently going on in the Big 12 right now.

Reactions: scarletred
I would say this, in hindsight, the bad call was one of the reasons we started looking to leave. I am glad we ended up in the BIG, especially after when is currently going on in the Big 12 right now.
I believe what's happening now in the Big 12 would have happened earlier had the teams that left stayed. Texas and OU were dabbling in leaving and taking quite a few others with them but we and a few others beat them to the punch based on their dabbling. At that point Texas, OU and others had to stay to save face.

Reactions: GMHusker
I don’t buy that it would’ve changed anything, other than the fact that our championshipless streak would now be at 13 years instead of 23.

We had a grand opportunity the very next season, hyping up the Texas game as “Red Out Around the World”, making :01 t-shirts, etc against a mediocre Texas team with a bad QB. We squandered it as the #5 team in the country. Nothing makes me think we would’ve been better equipped to win that game had we won the year prior. In fact, we should’ve been even more motivated to win that game due to the loss in 09.

Then again against OU at the championship. Completely irrelevant from the 09 Texas game.

If Bo’s demise was truly due to the fact that we may have been screwed in 2009, then he’s not as great a coach as many want to believe.
It's called momentum and confidence.

Been here done that means a lot in sports.

I definitely think the outcome in 2010 would have been different.

The change of conferences has contributed to that streak getting up to 23. Not to mention our QB getting hurt in 2010. Otherwise we might blow the doors off of OU that game.

He was good enough not to take us to the bottom of college football for 7 straight years. .

Nebraska is never going to be a perennial power again

You might as well lose that delusion.

Reactions: rcnut223
I still wonder what would have happened if we had just kept running rex out of the wildcat vs OU. Instead, we tried a pass amd got behind the chains. Might have to go rewatch the end of that game.

I still wonder what would have happened if we had just kept running rex out of the wildcat vs OU. Instead, we tried a pass amd got behind the chains. Might have to go rewatch the end of that game.
No Rex fumbled.

We were about to add points

Helu got them back in the game with his fumble.

Our biggest bugaboo of turnovers showed up at the wrong time.

I agree. I despise the “woulda, coulda, shoulda” scenarios. I remember making fun of Iowa for “hypothetical” seasons, and here we are over a decade later…

Does anyone know what happened in an Iowa football game in 1994? It's nice to be a blue blood with a history that gives fans from non-relevant programs something to occupy their time. The most memorable thing from an Iowa football game was that one time.... never mind I can't think of anything.

3rd and 24 with 10.5 min left, they get 23 vs prince and then convert on 4th, again against prince. That's how OU got the FG to go ahead 23-20.

We get ball back on own 44 with 6.5 min left. Rex for 9, Rex for 6, Rex for 2 to the OU 39. 2nd and 8 and we have Rex throw to Martinez. Martinez was wide open, but Rex had to evade a free rusher and threw too late. Get a few more yards and Henery has a solid chance to tie it. Instead, we pass again on 3rd down and Martinez is sacked.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Since we are discussing egregious calls that cost us titles I can’t believe no one has brought up that screw job of a penalty called on Kenny Bell when he flattened that defender in the 2012 big ten championship game against a 7-5 Wisconsin team that finished 3rd in its division

Cost us a big ten championship and a top 10 ranking -

• Haha
Reactions: IowaFansR_Buffoons
Since we are discussing egregious calls that cost us titles I can’t believe no one has brought up that screw job of a penalty called on Kenny Bell when he flattened that defender in the 2012 big ten championship game against a 7-5 Wisconsin team that finished 3rd in its division

Cost us a big ten championship and a top 10 ranking -
Nebraska beat Iowa 13-7 that year.

Does anyone know what happened in an Iowa football game in 1994? It's nice to be a blue blood with a history that gives fans from non-relevant programs something to occupy their time. The most memorable thing from an Iowa football game was that one time.... never mind I can't think of anything.
this is the absolute best part of the mass cucking that's clearly taken place on the dumpy side of the river

the joke that is their very existence goes right over their heads every time they come here

XII stood to lose a lot of money by UT not going to the BCS title game. Bo said on Compton's podcast the game was over and a XII official reached over on the replay officials board and called for the replay. We won that game. Had Kunalic not shanked the kick they wouldnt have even been in field goal range.

It's called momentum and confidence.

Been here done that means a lot in sports.

I definitely think the outcome in 2010 would have been different.

The change of conferences has contributed to that streak getting up to 23. Not to mention our QB getting hurt in 2010. Otherwise we might blow the doors off of OU that game.

He was good enough not to take us to the bottom of college football for 7 straight years. .

Nebraska is never going to be a perennial power again

You might as well lose that delusion.
We had an entire offseason and a lot of anger to fuel us the next season, particularly in the Texas game. We had a new QB and offense that was no longer anemic. We had just whipped Washington and Kansas State, both on the road.

Falling flat at home likely had nothing to do with a lack of momentum or confidence. The program had tons of both going into that game. If anything, we probably lost that game due to overconfidence.

I could get behind your rationale if something like that happened in Bo’s 5th or 6th year in a make or break season after we’d been building up for five years. A devastating loss like that could break a coach in that case. But in the 2nd season of a rebuilding program? I definitely don’t think so. If it did, that’s a reflection of Bo’s coaching.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
The 94 Orange Bowl had to to do with a clock operator not responding to the ref stopping the clock on a first down and letting 3-4 seconds run off. It was not a situation like 2009 where a ball was thrown out of bounds and the clock read zero before the ref could even raise his hands.

What happened in the 09 B12 championship game at the end was something that if enforced on every play, would have resulted in about 3 minutes remaining at that point.

What Colt McCoy did was really stupid, but the powers that be weren't going to let Texas lose on that. There was a natty game to play after all.

But if the rules were followed fairly, Nebraska is B12 champ in 2009.

You know what's really funny, is that in 7 seasons, Bo Pelini had us in the CCG game 3 times. In the past 7 years since we fired him, we haven't even sniffed the CCG. Even Bill Callahan got us to a CCG! Solich won one.

The 94 Orange Bowl had to to do with a clock operator not responding to the ref stopping the clock on a first down and letting 3-4 seconds run off. It was not a situation like 2009 where a ball was thrown out of bounds and the clock read zero before the ref could even raise his hands.

What happened in the 09 B12 championship game at the end was something that if enforced on every play, would have resulted in about 3 minutes remaining at that point.

What Colt McCoy did was really stupid, but the powers that be weren't going to let Texas lose on that. There was a natty game to play after all.

But if the rules were followed fairly, Nebraska is B12 champ in 2009.

You know what's really funny, is that in 7 seasons, Bo Pelini had us in the CCG game 3 times. In the past 7 years since we fired him, we haven't even sniffed the CCG. Even Bill Callahan got us to a CCG! Solich won one.
if the rules were followed fairly, we would have won alot more NC's...

Reactions: Baxter48
We had an entire offseason and a lot of anger to fuel us the next season, particularly in the Texas game. We had a new QB and offense that was no longer anemic. We had just whipped Washington and Kansas State, both on the road.

Falling flat at home likely had nothing to do with a lack of momentum or confidence. The program had tons of both going into that game. If anything, we probably lost that game due to overconfidence.

I could get behind your rationale if something like that happened in Bo’s 5th or 6th year in a make or break season after we’d been building up for five years. A devastating loss like that could break a coach in that case. But in the 2nd season of a rebuilding program? I definitely don’t think so. If it did, that’s a reflection of Bo’s coaching.

Cornhusker Hotel basement tho

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan

Our qb getting hurt derailed it.

They still went 10-2 up until the. Championship game but came up short.

Being champions already could have made the difference instead of the pressure that caused us to revert back to turnovers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT