ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Kemp is N!!

JD Spielman was pretty good considering Frost didn't think special teams needed much/any coaching :Do_O
I don't think Frost thought ANYONE needed any coaching. He thought he'd just show up with a popped collar and some chaw in his lip and he would win.

huh-dog.gif

Kind of a Toure type of pickup. Just a really solid veteran guy who has proven he can play with the big boys. I hope he produces like Toure did.
at minimum I would expect him to be the kind of player the coaches can count on to line up correctly and do his assignment at 3 different positions

plus, as has been mentioned, provide a steady presence in the punt return game

He isn't comparable to the last two reciever transfers, Toure and Palmer. He's more a Wandale. Small and quick, not the kind of guy you lob up to 50 yards downfield. A possession receiver.

they run a push pass instead of a hand off on jet sweeps
He had 16 total touches for 116 yards. I understand what you are saying about the sweeps, but your op inferred that he was utilized a lot. Im saying that doesn't seem to be the case.

He isn't comparable to the last two reciever transfers, Toure and Palmer. He's more a Wandale. Small and quick, not the kind of guy you lob up to 50 yards downfield. A possession receiver.
My comment was more in reference to productivity in his previous stop. Toure wasn't a burner but with his experience he seemed to get open and make plays. Different physical makeup but hopefully similar production in part due to their experience levels. Comparing him to Palmer would be doing him a disservice.

He had 16 total touches for 116 yards. I understand what you are saying about the sweeps, but your op inferred that he was utilized a lot. Im saying that doesn't seem to be the case.

He was injured and only played a handful of games. He had 74 and 67 receptions the two previous years.

You obviously didn't see Robinson at Kentucky....🤣

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
UVA sucked this year, he was hurt & they had a shooting that canceled 2 games

in 2021 he caught 74 balls, in 2020 he caught 67. Trey Palmer, for comparison, caught 71 last year.

he was utilized a lot

Kemp spent time on the injury list this past fall. Listed in 5 game logs for 2022. 74 catches for 725 in 2021, 67 for 644 in covid shortened 2020. Productive guy from a P5 program. Highlights show a quick guy who can operate in space. Poor man's Wandale.

Right. I'd be happy if he ends up being a Welker or Edelman type receiver, those guys were damn productive.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Right. I'd be happy if he ends up being a Welker or Edelman type receiver, those guys were damn productive.
I am super impressed that you made a player comparison that compared guys of two different races (I'm not joking). I don't think that's ever been done in the history of player comparisons. I have no idea if I agree with you or not, but I don't even care. Way to break new ground!

• Haha
Reactions: aNUstart and WHCSC
I am super impressed that you made a player comparison that compared guys of two different races (I'm not joking). I don't think that's ever been done in the history of player comparisons. I have no idea if I agree with you or not, but I don't even care. Way to break new ground!
Wait, you mean Kemp isn't white? Actually I was just going by stature and those are the guys I came up with.

Dude looks like he gets to open spots rather quickly. This is a good thing.
This is a guy they got the ball to quickly in space so he could make tacklers miss. He's not as great a vertical threat as someone like Palmer, but he'll play a key role on both offense and in kick returns.

Without looking it up, I may be willing to bet that each of his 4 years may have had more punt return yards than our last 4 years combined.
As a matter of fact, I literally cannot recall even one single punt return the last 5 years that wasn’t fair caught. Not a single one
Edit: we might have had a couple but I can’t remember it happening

Reactions: HominidHusker
As a matter of fact, I literally cannot recall even one single punt return the last 5 years that wasn’t fair caught. Not a single one

Sometimes we lateral them.

• Haha
The first thing that has to happen to be able to return a punt is to actually stop the other team on the other side of their 40 at least. Anything past that is going to be downed, fair caught or a touch back. We did a poor job of stopping teams where we could get a return and either had to fair catch it or it was downed.

Also, there were several that were returned but that's the total over the entire 5 years.

Those types are extremely under-appreciated. Calling someone a possession receiver sounds like a putdown but couldn't be further from the truth. Edelman was amazing. Sometimes the big stuff just isn't there and it's the passing version of grinding it out. It can demoralize a defense.

Those types are extremely under-appreciated. Calling someone a possession receiver sounds like a putdown but couldn't be further from the truth. Edelman was amazing. Sometimes the big stuff just isn't there and it's the passing version of grinding it out. It can demoralize a defense.
we haven't had someone we could consistently turn to on 3rd down since Westerkamp

even Stanley Morgan (a legend) caught the dropsies every now and then

a possession receiver really ties the O together

we haven't had someone we could consistently turn to on 3rd down since Westerkamp

even Stanley Morgan (a legend) caught the dropsies every now and then

a possession receiver really ties the O together
I remember thinking how Morgan’s numbers coulda been that much better had he not dropped a number of very catchable balls.

Those botched abortions performed by Taylor-Britt?

I remember thinking how Morgan’s numbers coulda been that much better had he not dropped a number of very catchable balls.
Palmer, too

somewhat related: I absolutely love the bengals - Morgan is a gunner on the punt team among many other duties

always first to the ball and looks like he's having a blast out there

all-time culture guy who doesn't get enough credit for it. true bring-the-lunch-pail type

Palmer, too

somewhat related: I absolutely love the bengals - Morgan is a gunner on the punt team among many other duties

always first to the ball and looks like he's having a blast out there

all-time culture guy who doesn't get enough credit for it. true bring-the-lunch-pail type
No kidding. Spot on.

Great Will be almost impossible to recognize college teams in the future with all of the transfers in and out along with the NIL. Bunch of short term hires I guess. Days of recruiting players and watching them develop and turn into a great team are over, sadly. Now go out and pay about a dozen high quality players to transfer and you may have an instant Nation Championship team.
They just talked about how Georgia barely touches the transfer portal during the game. They recruit a bunch of 5 star studs and grow them, especially on defense.

According to team stats we returned 77 yards of punts this last year.
Interesting story.
Coming into the Indiana game NU was 131st in punt returns with a grand total of -1 yard for the season (dropped fair catch?). Nu rolled up 78 yards in punt returns in that game. 41 of those were actually credited on a blocked punt so laying that aside we had Palmer return three punts for 37 yards, one for 22. I was pretty excited about that and cheered for it at the game. Finally, returning punts. After the 22 yarder another punt return looked to have some promise, there was room, Palmer deftly ran towards the sideline. To turn it up for a good gain? Nope, just ran out of bounds untouched. But it was a start and I was excited that the new head coach understood the game of inches effect and would take advantage.
Now some math.
Nu came into the game with -1 yard in returns
Nu had 78 yards in punt returns against the Hoosiers.
Nu finished the season with 77 yards in returns.

The game was the most impressive and most comfortable all season. We decided to be aggressive on special teams for once. Apparently that correlation didn't resonate with the coaching staff.

As a side comment/question:
When the the opponent downs a punt inside our 5 or 10 they celebrate and high five like they just won the Superbowl. Yet, we consistently fair catch punts around the five despite having 5-7 yards of open space and the other team nonchalantly jogs off the field. They don't need to down punts, we take care of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT