ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O’Brien

The podcast was speaking toward O'Brien's tenure at Houston which was off the charts bad. The guy traded Hopkins in his prime for a washed RB and overpaid (David Johnson). O'Brien never should have been a head coach, but giving the guy administrative control as well was just foolishness.
off the charts bad? here are the records of seasons he finished

9-7
9-7
9-7
4-12
11-5
10-6

won the division 4 times and appears to be the best coach Deshaun Watson ever had.

9-7
9-7
9-7
4-12
11-5
10-6

won the division 4 times and appears to be the best coach Deshaun Watson ever had.
No amount of fact will change an emotion-fueled narrative

What did he do in college as a head coach? Rhule accomplished much more. I don’t care about nfl results..you must value nfl more than I do
Rhule’s a .500 college coach who won a G5 conference 10 years ago

You’re trying hard to push this narrative

I appreciate the bald-faced nature of it

Carry on, good sir!

Rhule’s a .500 college coach who won a G5 conference 10 years ago

You’re trying hard to push this narrative

I appreciate the bald-faced nature of it

Carry on, good sir!
True.. but he accomplished more at Baylor than BOB did at Pedo U. I hope the Rhule trend continues and he gets better and better each season… instead of decline like BOB did @ Pedo U

I wonder if you're factoring in the sanctions he had to coach thru. Correct me if i'm wrong cause I don't remember it exactly, but outside of SMU's death penalty, BOB voached thru the worst sanctions since SMU. He did a fabulous job when you consider the whole picture.

However, I think....think, Rhule coached theu some of that at Baylor to? Cant remember.fpr sure, but it feels like it.

BOB's resume is better than you're giving him credit for IMO....

.....enjoy the football talk. Bring on the season!!!

Rhule went through some of that at Baylor? He followed Art Briles's rape scandal. Baylor has a total of 45 scholarship players and 1 commit when Rhule was hired. And this was before the transfer portal. Trying to minimize the job he did at Baylor is just odd.

Rhule went through some of that at Baylor? He followed Art Briles's rape scandal. Baylor has a total of 45 scholarship players and 1 commit when Rhule was hired. And this was before the transfer portal. Trying to minimize the job he did at Baylor is just odd.

Yeah i literally said that he did exactly what you posted.

Reactions: thall_
True.. but he accomplished more at Baylor than BOB did at Pedo U. I hope the Rhule trend continues and he gets better and better each season… instead of decline like BOB did @ Pedo U
You have to remember BOB took over amids the scandal and was working under NCAA sanctions including Loss of Scholarships. It will take time for the loss of scholarships to take full affect on a team

9-7
9-7
9-7
4-12
11-5
10-6

Yep. Went to a lot of Texans games during this time. Biggest bitch was that he didn't do well in the Playoffs and that is why they got rid of Kubiak before him. They were a pretty solid team during that time.

Reactions: king_kong_
what's ironic is 2 years after O'Brien left PSU they were getting beat by Rhule's Temple.

2 years after Rhule left Baylor they were winning a conference championship.

take that how you will.

Rhule clearly has a trend of improving teams like he said.

Baylor:
1-11
7-6
11-3

Temple:
2-10
6-6
10-4
10-3

BOB at Penn State went 8-4, 7-6.

While Rhule's first year was rough at both schools, he won 10+ three times, and his 2019 Baylor Team finished the year ranked #12. And their losses to ranked teams were #10 Oklahoma by 3, # 6 Oklahoma by 7 in OT, and # 5 Georgia by 12.

you're a CU fan in his eyes now

unwarranted, vicious personal attacks on Our Head Coach will not be tolerated!

Another thread with you talking about Colorado, shocking. Go ahead and tell us more about how cool "Coach Prime" is and how he has never failed at anything in his life.

And you know, if BOB was actually our coach, you would be on here talking about what a loser he is, how he never won more than 8 games at PSU, and calling him butt-chin or something like that.

Rhule clearly has a trend of improving teams like he said.

Baylor:
1-11
7-6
11-3

Temple:
2-10
6-6
10-4
10-3

BOB at Penn State went 8-4, 7-6.

While his first year was rough at both schools, he won 10+ three times, and his 2019 Baylor Team finished the year ranked #12. And their loses to ranked teams were #10 Oklahoma by 3, # 6 Oklahoma by 7 in OT and # 5 Georgia by 12.
BOB went 7-5 in year 2, they were ineligible for postseason and banned from the Coach's Poll

nobody's arguing the trend. all hail Year Three.

Rhule's best Baylor team was "close". perfect.

Another thread with you talking about Colorado, shocking. Go ahead and tell us more about how cool "Coach Prime" is and how he has never failed at anything in his life.

And you know, if BOB was actually our coach, you would be on here talking about what a loser he is, how he never won more than 8 games at PSU, and calling him butt-chin or something like that.
I never wanted BOB. he wouldn't be too well received by the softer portion of our fanbase (ahem)

plus, the guy went to PennSt and openly worships at the altar of JoePa, may his grave be eternally soaked in piss as he rots in hell. yuck!!

I wanted us to hire another AAC champion - Fickel. tough mfer who'd have been perfect for us.

alas, we play the cards dealt by blockhead trev before he split. GBR and hopefully Rhule has the boys ready to go!

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I never wanted BOB. he wouldn't be too well received by the softer portion of our fanbase (ahem)

plus, the guy went to PennSt and openly worships at the altar of JoePa, may his grave be eternally soaked in piss as he rots in hell. yuck!!

I wanted us to hire another AAC champion - Fickel. tough mfer who'd have been perfect for us.

alas, we play the cards dealt by blockhead trev before he split. GBR and hopefully Rhule has the boys ready to go!

As you know, I wanted us to hire Rhule. But, I would have liked Fickel fine. I wouldn't be shitting all over him because we didn't get Rhule.

Fickel really hasn't proven anything Rhule hasn't as a college coach. Rhule won 1 AAC title in 4 years, Fickel won 2 in 6. And Rhule went on to have success at Baylor.

Fickel also took a pre-season Top 25 team last year and went 7-6, almost losing at home to us with a third-string QB.

As you know, I wanted us to hire Rhule. But, I would have liked Fickel fine. I wouldn't be shitting all over him because we didn't get Rhule.

Fickel really hasn't proven anything Rhule hasn't as a college coach. Rhule won 1 AAC title in 4 years, Fickel won 2 in 6. And Rhule went on to have success at Baylor.

Fickel also took a pre-season Top 25 team last year and went 7-6, almost losing at home to us with a third-string QB.
Fickell has produced at least one 1st round pick.

and, of course, Fickell has beaten Rhule head to head.

so that's 2 things he's proven that Rhule hasn't.

it will never not be funny to me that you consider "don't needlessly waste 2nd half timeouts" and "play to win on the road" to be me shitting all over Rhule. LMAO

Fickell has produced at least one 1st round pick.

and, of course, Fickell has beaten Rhule head to head.

so that's 2 things he's proven that Rhule hasn't.

it will never not be funny to me that you consider "don't needlessly waste 2nd half timeouts" and "play to win on the road" to be me shitting all over Rhule. LMAO

How about a former walk-on turned 1st Round Draft Pick Haason Reddick?

And I really don't think last year's game is much of a feather in Fickell's cap. A big home favorite, playing against a depleted offense led by a third-string QB and it went to OT.

Here is Mike Farrell debating the two:

His verdict: (Please don't be triggered by him saying they are better than "Coach Prime")

"You're splitting hairs, as these are arguably the two top hires of the entire 2022-23 coaching carousel. Rhule gives you a higher floor, but Fickell gives you a higher ceiling. I'll take Fickell by the slightest of margins, but you cannot go wrong with either."

I agree with him you can't go wrong with either, but would give Rhule the edge since he's done it at a P5 school.

How about a former walk-on turned 1st Round Draft Pick Haason Reddick?

And I really don't think last year's game is much of a feather in Fickell's cap. A big home favorite, playing against a depleted offense led by a third-string QB and it went to OT.

Here is Mike Farrell debating the two:

His verdict: (Please don't be triggered by him saying they are better than "Coach Prime")

"You're splitting hairs, as these are arguably the two top hires of the entire 2022-23 coaching carousel. Rhule gives you a higher floor, but Fickell gives you a higher ceiling. I'll take Fickell by the slightest of margins, but you cannot go wrong with either."

I agree with him you can't go wrong with either, but would give Rhule the edge since he's done it at a P5 school.
Reddick - good one!

hilarious that the NYJ traded for him in March and he's already asking to be traded before playing a single snap

our game against wisc at home this year is easily the most important conference game on the schedule this year IMO

the AP voters have us 1 spot ahead of wisc in the pre-season poll

How so?

He had a worse record and won zero games against ranked opponents
Finishing the season highly ranked. I guess you were a huge Riley fan since he pulled off the occasional upset. Finishing 2nd in a OT loss to OU in a much better Big 12 was a good accomplishment for Rhule.

So for those keeping score at home. Kong and Litespeed think it’s better to finish unranked as long as you beat a low ranked team along the way. They would rather have that than a #7ranking and a spot in the playoff.

At least he never came close to making the playoffs in the nfl either...unlike bob
Who cares about nfl. NFL success or lack thereof has no bearing on college coaching success.

Unless you’re also really sad that we fired cally.. I mean that guy made it to the Super Bowl! Oh that nick Saban guy… he sucked!

Reactions: headcard
Finishing the season highly ranked. I guess you were a huge Riley fan since he pulled off the occasional upset. Finishing 2nd in a OT loss to OU in a much better Big 12 was a good accomplishment for Rhule.

So for those keeping score at home. Kong and Litespeed think it’s better to finish unranked as long as you beat a low ranked team along the way. They would rather have that than a #7ranking and a spot in the playoff.
this is good spin, tampa!

as was posted, Baylor actually won the Big 12 two years after Rhule left (got better).

spin spin spin!

dude....by a wide margin, bob has a better resume. We can lay out about 8 metrics to use, and bob wins 7 of them.. you are literally hanging your entire argument on baylor finishing ranked #12 one year, and tossing out everything else. that's fine, but it just feels like you're arguing just to argue at this point. If you polled a thousand CFB fans, showed all of them the "results" (your words) and resumes, of these two coaches, i'd be shocked if any of them picked matt.

BOB's PSU teams were ineligible for the polls and the postseason.

this is good spin, tampa!

as was posted, Baylor won the Big 12 two years after Rhule left (got better).

spin spin spin!
Tampa’s fact check - 🐂 💩 from Kong.

PSU and OSU were bant from coaches poll. Not AP. Thank goodness you have posters like me to keep you honest.

Once again- which would you rather have this season:
A. NU ranked #9 and a playoff berth
B. NU not ranked, but beat #23 Wisconsin

Go!!

Tampa’s fact check - 🐂 💩 from Kong.

PSU and OSU were bant from coaches poll. Not AP. Thank goodness you have posters like me to keep you honest.

Once again- which would you rather have this season:
A. NU ranked #9 and a playoff berth
B. NU not ranked, but beat #23 Wisconsin

Go!!
love it!!

TampaBaySpin! RollingLaugh

dude....by a wide margin, bob has a better resume. We can lay out about 8 metrics to use, and bob wins 7 of them.. you are literally hanging your entire argument on baylor finishing ranked #12 one year, and tossing out everything else. that's fine, but it just feels like you're arguing just to argue at this point. If you polled a thousand CFB fans, showed all of them the "results" (your words) and resumes, of these two coaches, i'd be shocked if any of them picked matt.
You think so? I take coach A. I’ll take higher highs and lower lows than a poor man’s Pelini .

Coach A
Team 2
1-11
7-6
11-3
Team 1
2-10
6-6
10-4
10-3

Coach B:
8-4
7-6

There is no way anyone would choose this:

8-4
7-5

Over this:
1-11
7-6
11-3

2-10
6-6
10-4
10-3

You are putting WAY too much stock in Rhule's bad first year(s). The only metric supporting BOB is overall win %, because of Rhule's bad first years. All other college football metrics would support Rhule by a large margin:

10+ win seasons
Ranked Teams
Bowl Wins
Draft Picks

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

8-4
7-5

Over this:
1-11
7-6
11-3

You are putting WAY too much stock in Rhule's bad first year(s). The only metric supporting BOB is overall win %, because of Rhule's base first years. All other metric would support Rhule by a large margin:

10+ win seasons
Ranked Teams
Bowl Wins
Draft Picks
He’s putting way too much stock into the nfl numbers which are meaningless for college.

BoB was a better nfl coach - no denying that

Reactions: headcard

8-4
7-5

Over this:
1-11
7-6
11-3

2-10
6-6
10-4
10-3

You are putting WAY too much stock in Rhule's bad first year(s). The only metric supporting BOB is overall win %, because of Rhule's bad first years. All other college football metrics would support Rhule by a large margin:

10+ win seasons
Ranked Teams
Bowl Wins
Draft Picks
bowl wins

Rhule has 1 - beat 6-6 vanderbilt in 2018.

BOB's teams were literally not allowed to compete in the two bowls they qualified for because of Rhule and BOB's hero JoePa.

doesn't matter, fun discussion!

Rich man Pelini constantly lost to Pelini? Makes solid sense for an ape brain I suppose.

Since Bob was declining each collegiate year I’d say year three would have been bad.
People conveniently forget how many scholarship players transferred out including starters because of the Paterno scandal. He was severely limited by the scholarship penalties and transfers.

People conveniently forget how many scholarship players transferred out including starters because of the Paterno scandal. He was severely limited by the scholarship penalties and transfers.
Don’t worry. He got his participation trophy - B1G coach of the year even though Urban went undefeated

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT