ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Game 1 Surprise

The offensive line quite honestly. We pretty much ran at will and all though pass pro was spotty, there was only one true f*** up by the OL with DR getting sacked hard.
When the QB gets sacked once the entire game, it's not a ****up. Some people rate things against perfection, which is really silly. Pass Pro was not in any way spotty. DR mostly had all day to throw.

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed-- Shedeur Sanders and CU rarely turns the ball over. And since he's so accurate, they are going to move the ball. We're just going to have to tackle after the catch. Hopefully force some punts and make them score TD's in the red zone where our defense isn't going to worry about defensing anything vertically. And we've got enough depth on defense this year that our guys shouldn't get worn down if they do get a few 10+ play FG drives (which are called the Scott Frost special in some locales).
Last season, we turned the ball over relentlessly and couldn't move the ball. We were at their house. They only scored 36 with almost everything going against us. They only scored 31 on NDSU at home. I would be VERY surprised if they score more than 17 next week. We should score 55.

Since they have no running game, we're going to blitz on almost every play and play 5 DBs all day.

OL improvement (yes it was a conference USA but I don't think utep is a bad team) jacory barney, dowdell clearly number 1 rb imo less the fumble, Carter Nelson.

That kid is going to be special. Shifty

Last season, we turned the ball over relentlessly and couldn't move the ball. We were at their house. They only scored 36 with almost everything going against us. They only scored 31 on NDSU at home. I would be VERY surprised if they score more than 17 next week. We should score 55.

Since they have no running game, we're going to blitz on almost every play and play 5 DBs all day.
I agree with the fact (I'm going to watch the game on dvr) that I felt we were very vanilla and base on defense. Offense too for that matter. Very little to no blitzes of trickeration

Still got that winning buzz going! NICE!

But, CU is scoring over 17 points and Travis Hunter will have 7-10 catches so will Horne.

The lack of running game actually takes out two of our best players, Nash and Robinson. They can't chase down SS so they pretty much can't play vs CU.

Great job all around. But what surprised me was something negative. Tight end is our weakest position. Didn’t see that coming.
Meh. Tommy Armstrong commented that defensively UTEP was keying on Fidone. No doubt how much we used Fidone last year showed up on the video. That focus on Fidone created some opportunities to our WRs early.

Great job all around. But what surprised me was something negative. Tight end is our weakest position. Didn’t see that coming.

I’m not convinced it’s a weak or weaker position, I hope anyway. They didn’t have a ton of production catching passes yesterday, but that’s sometimes how it works out. TE is usually the QB’s second or third option on most passing downs/plays. And if one of your 1st options is consistently open, your TEs won’t get as many opportunities. We did have a few screens designed for the TE, but they didn’t really work or produce much. I hopeful they’ll show some play making ability as the season progresses.

OL improvement (yes it was a conference USA but I don't think utep is a bad team) jacory barney, dowdell clearly number 1 rb imo less the fumble, Carter Nelson.

That kid is going to be special. Shifty
I haven't seen enough of Dowdell to have a complete opinion of him. I know that he's lost some weight. It seems to me that it really depends on what we're trying to do. If we're gonna line up under center and go right at the defense, he's our man. But since this team revolves around Raiola, and rightfully so, I think the staff is inclined to look at passing game matchups first and play RBs based on their strengths and formation we're going to fun. That approach is fine for now until midseason when teams start noticing tendencies based on personnel.

We have some great WRs. We are fast. We are physical. We are probably overrating a weak match up but it’s nice, isn’t it?
It's wild. Our third team wideouts are Malachi, Carter Nelson, and Bullock, who started 8 games last year. Keelan Smith is 4th team. The wide receiver room flip since Rhule got here is nothing short of amazing.

And they once again have a true freshman ready to roll in Nelson and Barney. Playing young players absolutely helps recruiting. Pretty easy to show a guy like that Terry recruit that he could come in a get snaps game one.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Not a surprise but Tony White does a great job subbing. It is a very different almost JV football approach to subbing.

That keeps dudes interested and ready and will pay dividends.
Everything was perfect. All the backupa have a bounce in there step. Playing all those freshman was great. I nearly pissed my pants to see Seagren in. Those are such quality reps.

And then to see that post about 2 Husker qbs fulfilling a lifelong dream to play for NU, makes a guy almost emotional.

Can Sanders (QB) elevate his team? I haven't seen it ... yet.
Can DR? Judging by one game I think that is exactly what he will do this season.
Nothing would me more delicious than to watch a true freshman steal Sanders' thunder.
One thing is for sure, this season will be full of challenges, and I see DR rising to those challenges, and elevating his teammates in the process.

Still got that winning buzz going! NICE!

But, CU is scoring over 17 points and Travis Hunter will have 7-10 catches so will Horne.

The lack of running game actually takes out two of our best players, Nash and Robinson. They can't chase down SS so they pretty much can't play vs CU.
Respectfully, Nash and Robinson will have GREAT games against CU, and likely can handle the entire Colorado OL by themselves. Interior DLs almost never "chase down" QBs, but rather force them into the loving arms of DEs and OLBs. With Nash and Ty, and no CU running game, Nebraska will literally be able to play a 2-4-5 defense against Colorado.

Last year Horne had 8 catches and Hunter had 3, on their field.

Dude, they only scored 31 last week against an FCS team at home! Also, I'm not sure that their defense is as good as UTEPs, and we sat our 1st team with 37 points with 20 minutes left in the game.

Sometimes you have to be logical.

The biggest surprise to me is that most of the talk is about the offense.

Next would be that our special teams still need work. I think this puts the spotlight even moreso on special teams coaching.

Respectfully, Nash and Robinson will have GREAT games against CU, and likely can handle the entire Colorado OL by themselves. Interior DLs almost never "chase down" QBs, but rather force them into the loving arms of DEs and OLBs. With Nash and Ty, and no CU running game, Nebraska will literally be able to play a 2-4-5 defense against Colorado.

Last year Horne had 8 catches and Hunter had 3, on their field.

Dude, they only scored 31 last week against an FCS team at home! Also, I'm not sure that their defense is as good as UTEPs, and we sat our 1st team with 37 points with 20 minutes left in the game.

Sometimes you have to be logical.
Sir, I hope you are right!

The worst thing for NU will be a slow pass rush with SS just sidestepping dudes and extending plays.

The sad thing is, their 2 best players had only 1/3 of their completions and they still scored 36 points.

For me it was Dowdell. Looked way faster and shifter than he did in the spring game.

I can see why the roster had all the "ORs" in the RB room. I think we can win with any of those guys.

I was blown away by how he looked yesterday compared to the spring. Looked like a totally different back. I had already written him off tbh and I stand corrected. Hopefully with a mouth full of crow if he continues. He looked like a dude. I got him and Emmett 1a and 1b.

Holla

Reactions: Antwill
This^ and the O-line opened up huge holes all day, not sure we have a “great” RB on the roster, but that O-line was doing work. Also… Carter Nelson! Eek The kid is gonna be really good. Plus DR’s game management skills as a true freshman. He just does the little things well that don’t seem noticeable when your QB is good and capable. Stepping up in the pocket, eyes down field going through his progression, throwing catchable short and intermediate passes, adjusting his arm angle, throwing the ball away when there’s nothing else etc etc…

Underrated aspect of QB play and you are 100% right.

Holla

It's awesome.....some guys would complain about a gummer.
Kate Mckinnon Flirt GIF by Saturday Night Live
Gotta love them gummers.

Holla

Reactions: GaRed
Strangely, as well as our defense played, I agree with this. I thought we would get more sacks and more pressure on the QB in general. My hunch is that White called a fairly vanilla game and is saving some of his blitz packages for CU.
This and they did a lot of quick game. I wasn't as upset about the sacks but I wanted to say least see more pressure. Guys like Butler, Williams, Wallen, Lenhart need to beat OL quicker even when they didn't get home. I didn't see that initial explosion to do that.

I want to see more of Princewill. He again looked like a more explosive option on the edge when he was in there

Holla

I agree. I know that the media as well as apparently other programs (transfer offers) think highly of Fidone, but I think he's still a work in progress. I don't want this to seem like I'm bashing a kid who has battled back from injuries time after time. But he's missed a ton of practice time and he's still pretty raw as far as blocking is concerned. And he's not the only one-- it was noted last year by someone that studies game film that unblocked defenders were the product of missed TE blocks more than any over position. By a margin.

He's definitely gotta improve as a blocker. I don't think that's bashing him. It's speaking the obvious. He was poor last year at that and was poor yesterday. Gotta get better.

Holla

I agree with all of this. The key is definitely on not giving them any cheap turnovers like we did last year. Make them earn everything. And then create enough negative plays to put them behind the sticks. I have zero doubt that they will hit some big plays. They are too skilled not to. We will not shut them out or even hold them under 10 points in my view. I can see them scoring at least 17 points and probably closer to 24. So our offense has to score more than we did last year. I see this as a nail biter. Real close. Toss up. If we win I think it will be like 27-24 or 21-20 kind of thing.

This is gonna sound bad but if CU covers I think they win. A close game favors the team with the best player and Shedeur and Hunter will be the best two guys on the field next Saturday night. That said give me Nebraska 35- 20

Holla

Colorado has been circled for Rhule and T-white since last year. Deion made it personal with Rhule and while Rhule says all the right things - I guarantee with his coaches they are saying we need to nail these MF’s.
...and if he gets a chance to put an extra TD on Primes ass late I wouldn't be shocked if he did it. Prime and how team made it personal talking shit after last years game.

Holla

Reactions: RBigredMax
Can Sanders (QB) elevate his team? I haven't seen it ... yet.
Can DR? Judging by one game I think that is exactly what he will do this season.
Nothing would me more delicious than to watch a true freshman steal Sanders' thunder.
One thing is for sure, this season will be full of challenges, and I see DR rising to those challenges, and elevating his teammates in the process.

Not sure what you have watched but take Sanders off that team and they maybe win one game. He absolutely elevates that team. Without him we aren't even worried about whether we beat CU or not. Don't let your hate cloud your judgement.

Holla

Reactions: shocksker

The worst thing for NU will be a slow pass rush with SS just sidestepping dudes and extending plays.

The sad thing is, their 2 best players had only 1/3 of their completions and they still scored 36 points.
If we had turned the ball over the same as CU, they wouldn't have scored 20.

This and they did a lot of quick game. I wasn't as upset about the sacks but I wanted to say least see more pressure. Guys like Butler, Williams, Wallen, Lenhart need to beat OL quicker even when they didn't get home. I didn't see that initial explosion to do that.

I want to see more of Princewill. He again looked like a more explosive option on the edge when he was in there

Holla
I feel similar for Princewill and Lenhardt.

And I like Jimari a lot. Sherman looked pretty good yesterday too.

But the athleticism of Princewill and Cam just seems at another level

One thing that NDSU got right a couple times was not allowing any open space in the secondary while making SS run from the rush. CU absolutely WANTS the DL to chase and get them wore out but the thing that killed NDSU's chances was the two long pass plays to Hunter and Horne. Way too much cushion that CU will take advantage of.

Time. Time is also one thing SS excels at. Give him any time before the half or the end of the game and he'll find a way to score. Hell, give him any sort of time and he'll burn the defense. Let's step it up from last year and not give him any chances to burn us.

Not sure what you have watched but take Sanders off that team and they maybe win one game. He absolutely elevates that team. Without him we aren't even worried about whether we beat CU or not. Don't let your hate cloud your judgement.

Holla
He's elevated himself. I guess losing records impress you. Of course Iowa fans have always been impressed with participation ribbons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT