ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Game 1 Surprise

The offensive line quite honestly. We pretty much ran at will and all though pass pro was spotty, there was only one true f*** up by the OL with DR getting sacked hard.
When the QB sets sacked once the entire game, it's not a ****up. Some people rate things against perfection, which is really silly. Pass Pro was not in any way spotty. DR mostly had all day to throw.

Reactions: BleedRed78
One thing I've noticed-- Shedeur Sanders and CU rarely turns the ball over. And since he's so accurate, they are going to move the ball. We're just going to have to tackle after the catch. Hopefully force some punts and make them score TD's in the red zone where our defense isn't going to worry about defensing anything vertically. And we've got enough depth on defense this year that our guys shouldn't get worn down if they do get a few 10+ play FG drives (which are called the Scott Frost special in some locales).
Last season, we turned the ball over relentlessly and couldn't move the ball. We were at their house. They only scored 36 with almost everything going against us. They only scored 31 on NDSU at home. I would be VERY surprised if they score more than 17 next week. We should score 55.

Since they have no running game, we're going to blitz on almost every play and play 5 DBs all day.

OL improvement (yes it was a conference USA but I don't think utep is a bad team) jacory barney, dowdell clearly number 1 rb imo less the fumble, Carter Nelson.

That kid is going to be special. Shifty

Last season, we turned the ball over relentlessly and couldn't move the ball. We were at their house. They only scored 36 with almost everything going against us. They only scored 31 on NDSU at home. I would be VERY surprised if they score more than 17 next week. We should score 55.

Since they have no running game, we're going to blitz on almost every play and play 5 DBs all day.
I agree with the fact (I'm going to watch the game on dvr) that I felt we were very vanilla and base on defense. Offense too for that matter. Very little to no blitzes of trickeration

Still got that winning buzz going! NICE!

But, CU is scoring over 17 points and Travis Hunter will have 7-10 catches so will Horne.

The lack of running game actually takes out two of our best players, Nash and Robinson. They can't chase down SS so they pretty much can't play vs CU.

Great job all around. But what surprised me was something negative. Tight end is our weakest position. Didn’t see that coming.
Meh. Tommy Armstrong commented that defensively UTEP was keying on Fidone. No doubt how much we used Fidone last year showed up on the video. That focus on Fidone created some opportunities to our WRs early.

Great job all around. But what surprised me was something negative. Tight end is our weakest position. Didn’t see that coming.

I’m not convinced it’s a weak or weaker position, I hope anyway. They didn’t have a ton of production catching passes yesterday, but that’s sometimes how it works out. TE is usually the QB’s second or third option on most passing downs/plays. And if one of your 1st options is consistently open, your TEs won’t get as many opportunities. We did have a few screens designed for the TE, but they didn’t really work or produce much. I hopeful they’ll show some play making ability as the season progresses.

OL improvement (yes it was a conference USA but I don't think utep is a bad team) jacory barney, dowdell clearly number 1 rb imo less the fumble, Carter Nelson.

That kid is going to be special. Shifty
I haven't seen enough of Dowdell to have a complete opinion of him. I know that he's lost some weight. It seems to me that it really depends on what we're trying to do. If we're gonna line up under center and go right at the defense, he's our man. But since this team revolves around Raiola, and rightfully so, I think the staff is inclined to look at passing game matchups first and play RBs based on their strengths and formation we're going to fun. That approach is fine for now until midseason when teams start noticing tendencies based on personnel.

We have some great WRs. We are fast. We are physical. We are probably overrating a weak match up but it’s nice, isn’t it?
It's wild. Our third team wideouts are Malachi, Carter Nelson, and Bullock, who started 8 games last year. Keelan Smith is 4th team. The wide receiver room flip since Rhule got here is nothing short of amazing.

And they once again have a true freshman ready to roll in Nelson and Barney. Playing young players absolutely helps recruiting. Pretty easy to show a guy like that Terry recruit that he could come in a get snaps game one.

Not a surprise but Tony White does a great job subbing. It is a very different almost JV football approach to subbing.

That keeps dudes interested and ready and will pay dividends.
Everything was perfect. All the backupa have a bounce in there step. Playing all those freshman was great. I nearly pissed my pants to see Seagren in. Those are such quality reps.

And then to see that post about 2 Husker qbs fulfilling a lifelong dream to play for NU, makes a guy almost emotional.

Like wr missing blocks but then going long on a pump fake and go....??
Exactly. There's probably some other stuff you can do like a delayed handoff to the opposite side too. Those 2nd level defenders are flying to #24, something should work to counter that.

Can Sanders (QB) elevate his team? I haven't seen it ... yet.
Can DR? Judging by one game I think that is exactly what he will do this season.
Nothing would me more delicious than to watch a true freshman steal Sanders' thunder.
One thing is for sure, this season will be full of challenges, and I see DR rising to those challenges, and elevating his teammates in the process.

Still got that winning buzz going! NICE!

But, CU is scoring over 17 points and Travis Hunter will have 7-10 catches so will Horne.

The lack of running game actually takes out two of our best players, Nash and Robinson. They can't chase down SS so they pretty much can't play vs CU.
Respectfully, Nash and Robinson will have GREAT games against CU, and likely can handle the entire Colorado OL by themselves. Interior DLs almost never "chase down" QBs, but rather force them into the loving arms of DEs and OLBs. With Nash and Ty, and no CU running game, Nebraska will literally be able to play a 2-4-5 defense against Colorado.

Last year Horne had 8 catches and Hunter had 3, on their field.

Dude, they only scored 31 last week against an FCS team at home! Also, I'm not sure that their defense is as good as UTEPs, and we sat our 1st team with 37 points with 20 minutes left in the game.

Sometimes you have to be logical.

Reactions: RBigredMax
The biggest surprise to me is that most of the talk is about the offense.

Next would be that our special teams still need work. I think this puts the spotlight even moreso on special teams coaching.

Colorado has been circled for Rhule and T-white since last year. Deion made it personal with Rhule and while Rhule says all the right things - I guarantee with his coaches they are saying we need to nail these MF’s.

Reactions: timnsun
Respectfully, Nash and Robinson will have GREAT games against CU, and likely can handle the entire Colorado OL by themselves. Interior DLs almost never "chase down" QBs, but rather force them into the loving arms of DEs and OLBs. With Nash and Ty, and no CU running game, Nebraska will literally be able to play a 2-4-5 defense against Colorado.

Last year Horne had 8 catches and Hunter had 3, on their field.

Dude, they only scored 31 last week against an FCS team at home! Also, I'm not sure that their defense is as good as UTEPs, and we sat our 1st team with 37 points with 20 minutes left in the game.

Sometimes you have to be logical.
Sir, I hope you are right!

The worst thing for NU will be a slow pass rush with SS just sidestepping dudes and extending plays.

The sad thing is, their 2 best players had only 1/3 of their completions and they still scored 36 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT