ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Basketball Tourney Thread

schuele

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Apr 17, 2005
Takes a lot to get me to root for Mayland - but BTN's incessant Brad Davison slobber put me over the edge. UW leading early, but it's a tight game.

Now the BTN talking heads have pegged Wisconsin as "that Cinderella team who could make a deep run!" Yeh, because they beat Maryland. Hardly anyone did that this year.

Like I said a week or so ago, I completely get why Nebraska is on the bubble. But if Wisconsin had exactly the same resume, these guys would be gushing about how the Badgers are an absolute lock for the NCAA Tournament.

Now the BTN talking heads have pegged Wisconsin as "that Cinderella team who could make a deep run!" Yeh, because they beat Maryland. Hardly anyone did that this year.

Like I said a week or so ago, I completely get why Nebraska is on the bubble. But if Wisconsin had exactly the same resume, these guys would be gushing about how the Badgers are an absolute lock for the NCAA Tournament.

I completely agree, but as much as I hate to admit it, Wisky has built up a reputation over the last 20 years.

We need Michigan to win. But I am glad that Iowa is making them work for the win so far.

It appears wolverines woke up after half and are on a 13-2 run....... Down 5 at half, now up 6 and at the free throw line.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you can't stand Turgeon?
Correct. Although my dislike for Maryland was also solidified by Melo I-threw-my-head-back-so-I-must-have-been-fouled Trimble. That guy got a nightly tongue bath from Big Ten officials.

Crowds have been crap. I hope they grow substantially as we get into the weekend. Up to now they might as well have played them in a high school gym

Reactions: davecisar
I know it potentially boosts Nebraska's chances of making the final if Wisconsin wins today, but these announcers have me rooting hard for Michigan State. Good Lord, why not just rename it Badger Fanboy Network and get it over with?

Reactions: NU_FTW
I know it potentially boosts Nebraska's chances of making the final if Wisconsin wins today, but these announcers have me rooting hard for Michigan State. Good Lord, why not just rename it Badger Fanboy Network and get it over with?

I guess we all hear what we want because I think they’ve done well staying neutral with the way Wisconsin is getting jobbed

Crowds have been crap. I hope they grow substantially as we get into the weekend. Up to now they might as well have played them in a high school gym
Well take it from one living out here. The weather is atrocious today on the east coast. Snow, rain and massive wind. So that is holding back crowds today

Reactions: scarletred
Well take it from one living out here. The weather is atrocious today on the east coast. Snow, rain and massive wind. So that is holding back crowds today

Looks like high 30’s and rain most of the day...

I just don’t think a lot of fans from other schools wanted to spend the money to travel to New York except for Rutgers, Maryland and Penn St.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Looks like high 30’s and rain most of the day...

I just don’t think a lot of fans from other schools wanted to spend the money to travel to New York except for Rutgers, Maryland and Penn St.
The biggest problem is the winds. Gusts up to 60-70 in Manhattan. So you are talking torrential horizontal rain. High tide flooding is also likely today. Classic east coast nor'easter

Well I thought it was ridiculous that some pundits had Penn State ahead of Nebraska in the NCAA pecking order. But I give the Lions credit - they showed up in NYC ready to play, instead of standing around looking befuddled.

Penn State might play themselves into the Big Dance. Three wins over Ohio State this year is impressive.
I'm no Penn State fan, but really cool to see a team win a game on a great assist, dished to a guy who had the presence of mind to cut to the basket. So much one-on-five crap at the end of games, most of the time.

No slogging when on the subway that takes you right to MSG.

Say what you want, but you have to go outside to get on to the subway and from the subway to msg. And that’s if you’re already down there. If you have to get into Manhattan in the storm today, that would be miserable trying to get to msg

The teams that played yesterday have a big advantage and it’s showing not be able to practice on court is ridiculous Wisconsin could have easily won today and teams with double byes would have been 0-3

Does PSU winning help NU at all in terms of quality victories?

IMHO, no. Doubt they can raise their RPI into the top 30 even if they win the BIG tourney.

My worst nightmare now is that PSU actually wins the BIG tourney and gets the automatic bid. That would almost certainly end what little hope there is for Nebraska to get to the dance.

Reactions: chicolby
I may have missed it. Why isnt it in indy?

1. Apparently the powers that be in the BIG are under the impression that New Yorkers give 2 shits about big ten basketball.

2. Why would we want to be playing our conference tournament when all the other power conferences are playing theirs? Smart to take a page out of the tiny conferences that no one has heard of and play ours a week earlier.

3. Added benefit that we got to play a compressed conference schedule with multiple games in very few days in order to complete the season earlier in order get to New York

4. the Big East has their conf tournament next week and being the clearly inferior conference we decided we would serve as the opening act for the Big East headliner

Michigan is taking care of Sparty... did the national media lay down any ridiculous ultimatums for Sparty for this game? Did it cost them a 2 seed in the NCAA's?

Michigan is taking care of Sparty... did the national media lay down any ridiculous ultimatums for Sparty for this game? Did it cost them a 2 seed in the NCAA's?

I don’t think so, they had won 13 in a row.Of courses it all depends what happens in the other Power 5 conference tournaments.

Doubt it hurts them very much. Still 29-4 and it's their first loss in six weeks.

Besides, I'm not sure the national media knows this tournament is going on.

14 teams are invited to play in the B1G tournament. Only 13 showed up this year. The one team that the most to gain with a good showing in the tournament completely p1ssed themselves.
Looked like the team that didn't belong. Never was in the game from the beginning. Surprised we haven't heard the excuse "Michigan had the leg up on us since they got to play in the garden the day prior and was used to the court"

I’d have to imagine you can get direct flights from just about anywhere in Big 10 land to Chicago. Fairly centered geographically. Oh, but it’s not New York. :mad:
Amen!

Shoot, you have like 8 schools all within a 5 hour drive. OSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, NW...it just makes sense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT