ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Baseball Tourney - Game 8 #5 IA 2, #1 NEB 0 (Winners' Bracket)

B6:
4-pitch walk
<pitching change: righty Matt Waldron inherits a 1-0 count>
6-3 DP on a hot shot up the middle, 2 out.
3-pitch K swinging

WALDRON!!

2-0 Iowa after 6

T7:
Hagge G4 chopper
Raburn K swinging
Meyers single through the right side
Altavilla K looking

2-0 Iowa, mid 7

Altavilla fouled one off his foot, hopefully it doesn't affect him too bad.

6 more outs. So frustrating but then again

If Iowa wins this they could end up hosting a regional. :Cool::Cool:

B7:
K swinging
K swinging
3-pitch K looking

2-0 Iowa after 7

Hopefully that can translate to offense.

T8:
Schreiber G6
Miller L6 diving catch up the middle
Alvarado single up the middle
<mound meeting>
Wilkening single through the left side, 2 on, 2 out.
<pitching change, righty>
<started leaves after 120+ pitches>
Schlepp 4-pitch walk loads the bases, 2 out.
Hagge P7

2-0 Iowa, mid 8

B8:
Single lined to CF
Adams K looking
<looked like Waldron had the runner picked off in the 3rd AB>
P5 in foul territory
Caught stealing at 2nd

2-0 Iowa after 8

Last edited:
T8:
Schreiber G6
Miller L6 diving catch up the middle
Alvarado single up the middle
<mound meeting>
Wilkening single through the left side, 2 on, 2 out.
<pitching change, righty>
<started leaves after 120+ pitches>
Schlepp 4-pitch walk loads the bases, 2 out.
Hagge P7

2-0 Iowa, mid 8

Inability to hit with RISP and/or move runners with less than two outs appears to be an issue that will keep this team from achieving a higher ceiling in the postseason.
So frustrating, but it's been an issue all year + post season last year.
Hopefully they prove me wrong, but tough to change your stripes after >50 games......

Reactions: saluno22
T9:
Roskam HBP
Meyers FC 1-6
Altavilla FC 5-4
--2 OUTS--
Schreiber single to LF, Altavilla only made it to 2nd b/c he wasn't running on contact.
Miller single through the left side
<Henwood PR for Miller>
<pitching change, righty #17>
Alvarado K swinging

IOWA WINS 2-0.
Iowa plays the winner of Indiana-Minnesota tomorrow.
Nebraska plays Maryland in Game 10 (might be tonight, might be tomorrow).

Nebraska stranded 14 runners.
I didn't for one single moment have even a shred of faith that we'd get it done even after loading the bases in the 8th and 9th. I could have practically staked my life that it would end in a strikeout. It was practically the most predictable thing about the game.

Welp, these last two games is Husker Baseball in a nutshell.

Pitch Meyers tonight? Or go with McSteen with the hopes Meyers pitches tomorrow? Tourney isn't as important as a regional so who knows.

Some brilliant coaching by Iowa late in the game. That was a nail biter.

Good luck rest of the way.

Welp, these last two games is Husker Baseball in a nutshell.

Pitch Meyers tonight? Or go with McSteen with the hopes Meyers pitches tomorrow? Tourney isn't as important as a regional so who knows.
Meyers. I know it sounds strange, but I don't think a 35-20 team with an rpi possibly in the mid 40s is a 100 percent lock for the tourney, especially when if they only go 1-2 this weekend. We better hope that Iowa or northwestern don't win the tournament. I get that we won the regular season title, but our resume is good, not great.

Meyers. I know it sounds strange, but I don't think a 35-20 team with an rpi possibly in the mid 40s is a 100 percent lock for the tourney, especially when if they only go 1-2 this weekend. We better hope that Iowa or northwestern don't win the tournament. I get that we won the regular season title, but our resume is good, not great.
Throw in playing a Maryland team that faded down the stretch and might not be a lock anymore, this elimination game is juicy wrt the NCAA tournament.

We're still a lock but might get a tougher draw

Reactions: donahues17
I didn't for one single moment have even a shred of faith that we'd get it done even after loading the bases in the 8th and 9th. I could have practically staked my life that it would end in a strikeout. It was practically the most predictable thing about the game.

It's the Heller jinx.

The one team that I didn't want to play was Iowa, because we never perform against the Hawkeyes. They have our number and I have no confidence in a win against them.

ADVERTISEMENT