ADVERTISEMENT

Big Red Rise in 2018?

We will know a lot more after the Colorado game. Not sure exactly what they have coming back other than a very good QB. Threw for nearly 3000 yards - 60% completion 18 TDs - 9 Ints.

When the talent levels are close the determining factor in many of these games is going to be QB play. Aside from OSU I believe the only teams we play without a returning starter at QB are Illinois and Minnesota.

I have no idea what type of QB play we are going to get this year. With Milton starting as a Freshman in 2016 UCF finished the last half of the season 2-4. Unless we have a very special QB in the fold I think we are going to struggle at times at this position which might tip some of these close games to an L. UCF struggled in Frost's 1st year with a Freshman QB who in year 2 was getting Heisman mentions.

Yes, our QB play will dictate the season. It is the determining factor whether games like Wisconsin, Iowa, and MSU are really winnable. We may or may not have the defense and other pieces on offense to keep us competitive in those games--that's an open question as well--but last year's game against Wisconsin suggests that we have a shot.

I think we flat-out lack the talent to keep up with OSU, depending on how the situation with Urban plays out. We may be facing a team whose national championship aspirations have been obliterated and who has little to play for, and so we may have a chance. I doubt it, though.

Assuming our QB play is serviceable to good, I think we beat Iowa. Fant could cause us problems, but for the most part that is just a guts game, and now I think our teams will be equally matched in the guts department.

Michigan gets us early, and with a stifling defense and a new QB wins pretty handily at home.

I have no idea what to think of MSU. Again, I think it will depend on our QB play and what they're playing for at the end of the year. I think they'll be playing for something and we lose, even at home.

Much of the same can be said for Wisconsin, though I think here the outcome is less contingent because we're playing them on the road and they will be playing to represent the west in BIG championship game. They don't kill themselves and we'll be a young team with a new scheme. I think we'll probably seal our own fate.

As far as I'm concerned, we should be expected to win the rest of the games.

All of this, though, is assuming that our QB play is serviceable to good. If it's less than that we're going to lose some games we otherwise would be expected to win. (Insofar as comparisons to Milton are apt, recall also that he was not an early enrollee, so hopefully Martinez/Gebbia can be more effective in year one. However, I'm not sure comparisons to Milton are apt, as that guy is really special. Hopefully it turns out he is a system QB and Frost/Verduzco are QB whisperers.) I think we'll know a lot more by time conference play starts.

Right now I've got us penciled in at 8-4. Losses to Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan State. If the QBs struggle, 6-6 becomes a much more likely possibility.

Reactions: saluno22 and jlb321
I do not think Urban Meyer will be the coach at OSU, but they're difficult to beat even with an average coach just because they are so loaded talent-wise.

I think every other game but that one is winnable to varying degrees. I agree that Michigan, Wisconsin, and MSU are our most likely losses, but I think all three can be beaten. I agree though that we flat out cannot compete with OSU...yet.

I also think Frost is playing it safe. He doesn't want to get anyone's hopes too high. Think of it like this , what if he was going around saying we are going to win the the Big10 this year, get 10 wins and be ranked top 10.
Then the season ends up 6-6 or 7-5. Fans would be frustrated and disappointed. Players would be second guessing things.
Now if he plays it cool. Doesn't hype up expectations. Keeps saying things like next year, or in the future. Then we go and get 6 or 7 wins or more. Everyone would be happy. All would feel like progress was made and it gives something to build on.
Age old strategy, I use it with my wife ha! Under promise, over deliver.

Reactions: husker2612
If Riley can come seconds away from beating Wisky in 2 of his 3 years, Frost should have us in the game or winning it.

fair enough ... and what will your assessment be of Frost if we get waxed by Wisconsin this year

a Wisconsin team that we are playing on the road - will likely be ranked in the top ten - will have a third year starter at QB - a heisman candidate at RB and by the way returns every starter along the offensive line - 4 of which are being mentioned as All Americans

I would be very careful about basing your assessment of Frost vs Riley as a coach on this years Wisconsin game

Last edited:
fair enough ... and what will your assessment be of Frost if we get waxed by Wisconsin this year

a Wisconsin team that we are playing on the road - will likely be ranked in the top ten - will have a third year starter at QB - a heisman candidate at RB and by the way returns every starter along the offensive line - 4 of which are being mentioned as All Americans

I would be very careful about basing your assessment of Frost vs Riley as a coach on this years Wisconsin game
Wisc can hold its own with top 25 teams no doubt. They are not blowing out teams consistently. They are slow grind it out type of team. They try to slow down teams with their D. Their offense puts up just enough points to get the job done. They will see nothing like Nebraska and our fast paced, up tempo offense. If we can get a quick lead on them. I think we wear them out and I don't think they will be able to put up enough points. That is if our D can play half as good as last year. Last year any team with a pulse they squeaked out a win or lost.

Last edited:
Wisconsin is set to give Frost a real welcome to Camp Randall. As for tOSU, there have been weeks where that team has played pretty disinterested football. Hopefully by November Frost will have the kinks worked out of NU's game and the Huskers can snag an upset in the Shoe.

If Nebraska wins 9 games, I will officially be worried.
I think 9 is a bit wishful thinking this year. To get 9 We have to win all of "easy games" Troy, Akron, and Illinois. All of our 50/50 games. Iowa, MN, NW, Colorado, Purdue. Plus pull 1 big upset over Mich, Ohio St, Mich St, Wisc.
I can say we might very well be able to pull an upset over Mich, Mich St or Wisc. The odds of us getting 2 or the odds of us winning all of our 50/50 are slim. Going to say 7 wins is very realistic.

I think 9 is a bit wishful thinking this year. To get 9 We have to win all of "easy games" Troy, Akron, and Illinois. All of our 50/50 games. Iowa, MN, NW, Colorado, Purdue. Plus pull 1 big upset over Mich, Ohio St, Mich St, Wisc.
I can say we might very well be able to pull an upset over Mich, Mich St or Wisc. The odds of us getting 2 or the odds of us winning all of our 50/50 are slim. Going to say 7 wins is very realistic.

Yes, that's true enough. 8 wins quite possible too.

Wisconsin lost 75% of their starters on last years defense. They are getting credit because they always seem to just reload on that side of the ball, but maybe it doesn't happen this time. They will be tough to stop on offense though.

Wisconsin lost 75% of their starters on last years defense. They are getting credit because they always seem to just reload on that side of the ball, but maybe it doesn't happen this time. They will be tough to stop on offense though.

True enough but I really doubt their defense will be nearly as tough as last year. Their schedule is also wayyyy tougher for them this year. I think we'll give them a good shot.

Will Big Red win 7 or more games this season?
Seven wins is attainable but anything more is a stretch. Optimism runs high during fall camp and am sure you'll get as sorts of predictions of 8 or 9 wins from unrealistic fans. Just hope these same fans dont view this season as a disappointment if we only win 6-7 games. The work will take time for Frost to get this right.

Reactions: blackbones
Seven wins is attainable but anything more is a stretch. Optimism runs high during fall camp and am sure you'll get as sorts of predictions of 8 or 9 wins from unrealistic fans. Just hope these same fans dont view this season as a disappointment if we only win 6-7 games. The work will take time for Frost to get this right.
Agree, While I hope for more. 6 or 7 wins should be considered a success this year. Although I am sure there will be complaining by some.

Last edited:
Probable losses - tOSU, Wisconsin, Meatchicken
Probable wins - Akron, CU, Troy, Purdue, Illinois
I like NU's chances - Minny at home, NW on the road where NU has done well
Win/loss closer to 50/50 - MSU, Iowa
Get the probable wins plus Minny+NW and split MSU/Iowa and that adds up to 8 wins.

Probable losses - tOSU, Wisconsin, Meatchicken
Probable wins - Akron, CU, Troy, Purdue, Illinois
I like NU's chances - Minny at home, NW on the road where NU has done well
Win/loss closer to 50/50 - MSU, Iowa
Get the probable wins plus Minny+NW and split MSU/Iowa and that adds up to 8 wins.
I would agree except CU and Purdue those are probably slight edge to us but could be lumped in the 50/50 games.

I would agree except CU and Purdue those are probably slight edge to us but could be lumped in the 50/50 games.
CU and Purdue games are in Lincoln. I'd think those are favored games for NU.

Statistically speaking if you have 3 contests and in each individual contest you have a 70% chance of winning - the probability of winning all 3 is only 35%

CU and Purdue games are in Lincoln. I'd think those are favored games for NU.
I haven't check for awhile but last I saw.
21 point fav vs Akron
4 point fav vs Colorado
9 point fav vs Troy
24 point dog vs Mich
1 point fav vs Purdue
20 point dog vs Wisc
7 point dog vs NW
2 point fav vs Minn
28 point dog vs Ohio st
13 point dog vs Mich st
7 point dog vs Iowa

6 months ago I was at 6 wins would be nice.
3 months ago I was thinking 7 wins is what they are capable of.
1 month ago I believed we could reach 8 wins.
Now I think if things go perfect we could get to 9.
Season better start soon!!

I am going to stick with 8 wins though.

6 months ago I was at 6 wins would be nice.
3 months ago I was thinking 7 wins is what they are capable of.
1 month ago I believed we could reach 8 wins.
Now I think if things go perfect we could get to 9.
Season better start soon!!

I am going to stick with 8 wins though.
Man I know, would bet this is the most excited Nebraska fans have been in a long long time.
It really is hard to know how this team will do. Last years team was so horrible. I believe we have the talent we just had such horrible coaching and culture last year it made it seem we didn't. So the question then becomes how fast can the players pick up on everything. If they pick up on things rapidly that could push us to that 8, 9 win mark. If they pick up on it slower I think we get that 5-7 range. Based on what Frost and other coaches have said things seems to be going more smooth and kids picking up on things more quickly than at UCF.
Their first season They were able to gain 6 wins over the previous year. I doubt we get an extra 6 win compared to last. Even if we can half that and get 3 that would push us 7. With our tough road schedule it is going to be very hard to get past 7. Like you said if everything goes perfect and players pick up on things very quickly who knows. 9 maybe 10 could be a small possibility. The only team I see that we can't beat as of now is Ohio St. With the Meyer issues going on that could change things as well.

Wisconsin is as good as anyone in the conference at home and they’ll be one of the better offenses in the conference...

Riley’s first two teams no doubt had their chance to beat them but Wisconsin was much better last year than in 2015 and 2016.

How Wisky didnt boat race us while Riley was coach makes no sense.

Man I know, would bet this is the most excited Nebraska fans have been in a long long time.
It really is hard to know how this team will do. Last years team was so horrible. I believe we have the talent we just had such horrible coaching and culture last year it made it seem we didn't. So the question then becomes how fast can the players pick up on everything. If they pick up on things rapidly that could push us to that 8, 9 win mark. If they pick up on it slower I think we get that 5-7 range. Based on what Frost and other coaches have said things seems to be going more smooth and kids picking up on things more quickly than at UCF.
Their first season They were able to gain 6 wins over the previous year. I doubt we get an extra 6 win compared to last. Even if we can half that and get 3 that would push us 7. With our tough road schedule it is going to be very hard to get past 7. Like you said if everything goes perfect and players pick up on things very quickly who knows. 9 maybe 10 could be a small possibility. The only team I see that we can't beat as of now is Ohio St. With the Meyer issues going on that could change things as well.

You can bet the ranch on that partner.

How Wisky didnt boat race us while Riley was coach makes no sense.

Wisconsin plays a slow down game, Diaco plays slow down defense. Wisconsin ran 66 plays and rushed the ball 49 times. They kept the ball for almost 37 minutes. They had 3 drives, in the second half that were 10 plays and on average of 6 minutes each. That’s 18 minutes of 30 on 3 drives and they scored 3 TDs. Unless there is a mistake, Wisconsin is a slow drip on the forehead type punishment and not a quick slit of the throat.

Wisconsin plays a slow down game, Diaco plays slow down defense. Wisconsin ran 66 plays and rushed the ball 49 times. They kept the ball for almost 37 minutes. They had 3 drives, in the second half that were 10 plays and on average of 6 minutes each. That’s 18 minutes of 30 on 3 drives and they scored 3 TDs. Unless there is a mistake, Wisconsin is a slow drip on the forehead type punishment and not a quick slit of the throat.

Pelini though

Will Big Red win 7 or more games this season?
I think so.

The last few years, they have been very easy to defend on offense. When you have a weak line, inaccurate QB and can't run the football; the results are predictable. While there is a lot of youth, a new system and a retooled OL, they will not be so easy to game plan for or defend. Teams won't have as much to go on preparing for them this year and there are some playmakers on that side of the ball .

Defensively, they have nowhere to go, but up. I'm not expecting a return to the vintage Blackshirts this year, but I do expect to see more effort, better technique, better coaching and more turnovers. They were so disorganized and hated Diaco, which only exasperated that Trainwreck .

Special teams have also been poor for a very long time. I think we will see marked improvements in kick returns and coverage. PK worries me, but I believe the sum of all these other parts can compensate to a degree.

The biggest intangible to me, this team had a lot of quit in them, especially last year. Physically and mentally weak. The mental part may have been more disturbing for a variety of reasons. I don't see them folding so easily when things get tough and they are also physically in much better position to stand up to the adversity.

The mid-October stretch will really tell is a lot more about this team.

3 of 4 on the road (MI, NW and WI) sandwiched around a home game with a Purdue team that won 9 games last season, is not going to be easy. The physical toll of road games with Mich and WI ( especially) cannot be discounted, no matter how red the kool-aid is right now. Finishing that stretch on the road against a NW team that has always played NU tough, may be the most dangerous of them all. How much will be in the tank after getting up for brutal physical road opponents in MI and WI?

It should be fun and I think it will be much better. They could very well give OSU all they want coming off a home game with Minn and then a bye, which could be enough time to recharge, circle the wagons and have many of the kinks worked out.

GBR

Yes, our QB play will dictate the season. It is the determining factor whether games like Wisconsin, Iowa, and MSU are really winnable. We may or may not have the defense and other pieces on offense to keep us competitive in those games--that's an open question as well--but last year's game against Wisconsin suggests that we have a shot.

I think we flat-out lack the talent to keep up with OSU, depending on how the situation with Urban plays out. We may be facing a team whose national championship aspirations have been obliterated and who has little to play for, and so we may have a chance. I doubt it, though.

Assuming our QB play is serviceable to good, I think we beat Iowa. Fant could cause us problems, but for the most part that is just a guts game, and now I think our teams will be equally matched in the guts department.

Michigan gets us early, and with a stifling defense and a new QB wins pretty handily at home.

I have no idea what to think of MSU. Again, I think it will depend on our QB play and what they're playing for at the end of the year. I think they'll be playing for something and we lose, even at home.

Much of the same can be said for Wisconsin, though I think here the outcome is less contingent because we're playing them on the road and they will be playing to represent the west in BIG championship game. They don't kill themselves and we'll be a young team with a new scheme. I think we'll probably seal our own fate.

As far as I'm concerned, we should be expected to win the rest of the games.

All of this, though, is assuming that our QB play is serviceable to good. If it's less than that we're going to lose some games we otherwise would be expected to win. (Insofar as comparisons to Milton are apt, recall also that he was not an early enrollee, so hopefully Martinez/Gebbia can be more effective in year one. However, I'm not sure comparisons to Milton are apt, as that guy is really special. Hopefully it turns out he is a system QB and Frost/Verduzco are QB whisperers.) I think we'll know a lot more by time conference play starts.

Right now I've got us penciled in at 8-4. Losses to Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan State. If the QBs struggle, 6-6 becomes a much more likely possibility.

Defense wins championships

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT