ADVERTISEMENT

Big missed call favors Wisconsin

HuskerTimOmaha

Nebraska Legend
Apr 21, 2006
Omaha
Down 2, a UW player had a foot on the line going after a loose ball out of bounds. Remarkable save, threw it back in, Badgers end up with the ball, end up hitting 2 FT's. Sparty misses game ending shot, we're going to OT. If I heard it right, first time ever a B1GCG has gone to OT.

Phenomenal game by both teams, heavyweight fight with plenty of runs for each team.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

11-0 in overtime, Wisconsin wins both the regular season and tournament title. Congrats to Bo Ryan and the Badgers.

4.6.3, I think it was Gene Steratore closest to the call. I'm surprised he missed it, he's one of the best officials in CBB and the NFL. Big fan of his.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Why didn't they go to the replay on that call, I thought the rules stated they could do that,it was a huge call in the game

The announcers said something about only one player was involved so they couldn't review it. Or something like that, I went to hit rewind to hear it again but accidentally changed channels. Lol.

Here's what I found online...

Monitor Review- Out of bounds violation. (Rule 11-2.1.e.2). In the last two minutes of the second period and overtime(s), officials may use the monitor to determine which team caused the ball to go out of bounds when there is a deflection involving two or more players.

What I find strange is the "correctable error" review which happened on Saturday in the Ohio State / Michigan State game. The officials missed a kicked ball on the inbounds pass, it wasn't called and the ball went out of bounds. After reviewing it, they noticed the ball was kicked by an OSU player and applied the "correctable error" review in the decision to award Michigan State the ball. Thad Matta went nuts, his face was so red I thought he was gonna have a heart attack.

Here's what that rule states...

Monitor Review- Correctable error. (Rule 11-2.1.b.1). Prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations prescribed by Rule 2-12.3, the officials must recognize a potential correctable error and signal to the scorer that an instant replay review is required. This review shall take place at the next electronic-media timeout except during the last 4 minutes of the second period or the entire overtime period(s) during which time the correctable error time frame in Rule 2-12.3 must be used.

Maybe GBR ASP or someone else way more familiar with this can explain in better detail what happened and why it happened. My best guess is, since two players weren't involved, it can't be reviewed. If that's the case, why that rule trumps the other doesn't make sense to me. IMO, there's no way this call shouldn't have been reviewed, especially at the point in the game it happened. Hopefully it's looked at to make the necessary changes to the review rules this off-season.

This post was edited on 3/15 8:06 PM by HuskerTimOmaha

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

Maybe GBR ASP or someone else way more familiar with this can explain in better detail what happened and why it happened. My best guess is, since two players weren't involved, it can't be reviewed. If that's the case, why that rule trumps the other doesn't make sense to me. IMO, there's no way this call shouldn't have been reviewed, especially at the point in the game it happened. Hopefully it's looked at to make the necessary changes to the review rules this off-season.

This post was edited on 3/15 8:06 PM by HuskerTimOmaha
Hey there. Yeah, it was either Steratore or Lamont Simpson that didn't catch the foot out of bounds. It was clearly on the line, a VERY tough break for MSU, as the call out of bounds there would have nearly sealed the deal for them. The reason it wasn't reviewed was because there was not an OB call on the court.

Re: the Friday night incident: the purpose of the review was to see if it MSU's inbounding pass from the sideline was tipped by the OSU player prior to the ball going out of bounds. During the original review, the officials noticed that the OSU player kicked the ball ever so slightly. So, they awarded the ball to MSU based on the kicking violation. They explained it to Matta, Matta went nuts. Then, they caught their own error, which is that a violation isn't review-able, and therefore the call had to be corrected. The ball was ruled out of bounds on OSU based on the player's foot touching the ball but it could not be retro-ruled a kicking violation as it was not ruled one on the court. So, instead of MSU getting the ball on the sideline nearest to the spot of the kicking violation, MSU got the ball underneath the basket.

I understand it looked like Matta was going nuts because he thought his team got screwed on that play. I was at the game, so I wasn't able to watch on TV, but based on what I was told, the replay showed an OSU touch. He was acting pretty upset for no good reason. Coaches at that level go nuts sometimes for some of the strangest reasons. This was one of those times.

Matta was going nuts 7 mins into the game, and it didn't appear to me that there was a whole lot for him to be so upset about. This is my own opinion, but I think he was concerned about Izzo having a bigger influence on the game's officials than he would have, so he was doing everything in his power to influence calls by acting the way he did. Take it for what it's worth.

I hope you and Sparky had a good time on Wednesday and Thursday. The B1G tourney won't be back in Chicago until at least 2019, unfortunately. If you have a chance to get away for Friday and Saturday games sometime, I highly recommend it.

Yeah that was a tough call that went against my Spartans, but we had our chances and didn't make enough plays to seal the deal. Credit Wisky though they were nearly flawless the last 6 min of regulation + the OT. I hope Wisky make it back to the Final Four but I think they're lack of interior defense will prevent them from winning it all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT