ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 National titles

Is Iowa's legit or was that another 8 wins hang the banner season?
Right? I think it's safe to say that in 1958, LSU was the clear winner of the National Championship. They were 11-0. Iowa was 8-1-1. Maybe we can go back and claim a few years for ourselves if we use the Iowa formula. Give me a break. They tied Air Force and lost to Ohio St. GTFOH Iowa.

Edited: Iowa Sucks!

Right? I think it's safe to say that in 1958, LSU was the clear winner of the National Championship. They were 11-0. Iowa was 8-1-1. Maybe we can go back and claim a few years for ourselves if we use the Iowa formula. Give me a break. They tied Air Force and lost to Ohio St. GTFOH Iowa.
Damn. I was just joking. They really claim an 8-1-1 season as a National Title? Iowa really does suck!!

I guess that's the difference between blue blood Nebraska and mediocre Iowa. An 8-1-1 season Iowa claims a Natty. That record almost got T.O run out of town. Iowa sucks.

The reason why they think they deserve it because LSU beat all white teams and they weren’t integrated.

I’ve pointed out that in 1966 Orange Bowl, Bama was all white and beat Nebraska team who wasn’t for the 1965 national title..

Nebraska has 11 undefeated seasons. Why we don’t claim 11 is beyond me.

Nebraska hired Ewald O. "Jumbo" Stiehm (1911–15, 35–2–3) to replace Cole.[36] The fiery Stiehm was subject to such frequent outbursts that the school established a women's sitting section at Nebraska Field far from the home sideline.[37] Despite his temperament, his "Stiehm Roller" teams were highly successful, winning the conference title each season and losing only two games during his five-year tenure.[31] Under Stiehm's watch, Nebraska began a school-record thirty-four game unbeaten stretch and Guy Chamberlin was named the first All-American in program history.[31] Led by Chamberlin, Nebraska finished the 1915 season undefeated, but the university declined an opportunity to play in the first Rose Bowl.[37] Stiehm, who also coached Nebraska's basketball team to three conference championships,[38] was offered $4,500 annually to take over Indiana's athletic department.[37] Despite suggesting he'd remain at Nebraska for less money, the school refused to offer him a raise and Stiehm exited with the highest winning percentage of any coach in school history.[39]

Nebraska's history of screwing up coaching decisions is why I don't have much faith in finding good ones. ^ This is just another example from the way back. Hopefully Rhule does exceptionally well and stays if he does.

Reactions: scarletred
I guess that's the difference between blue blood Nebraska and mediocre Iowa. An 8-1-1 season Iowa claims a Natty. That record almost got T.O run out of town. Iowa sucks.
According to Wikipedia, Iowa now claims 5 national championships despite never once finishing 1st in the AP or Coaches poll. They try to justify it by mentioning that they were awarded by “NCAA-designated major selectors”. But then when you look at just who those “major selectors” were, they include the likes of “Billingsley, Parke, and Davis”, “Football Writers Association of America” and the always renowned “Football Research” (with no link provided).

Hey, could someone see if Athlon or Phil Steele ever randomly named us national champs after any of our 1-loss season? We probably have about a dozen more “national championships” that nobody’s ever heard of.

Never has a program fit the example of “participation banner raising ceremony” quite like Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT