ADVERTISEMENT

Best Nebraska Athlete of All Time?

I heard it was 100. Then he went on to get three hits the next day. It might have been bad news to let him and Andre The Giant spend a day together.
Just looked it up again...it sounds like the number is more like 60 or 70, but that apparently includes time in the locker room and on the way to the airport.

I remember running track in 9th grade at Papio. He was on the Bellevue West high school track team as a 9th grader and Mission Jr. High (or maybe it was Logan) brought him down to run against us peons. He only ran a couple events and just destroyed everyone. Wasn't even fair.
Didn’t Strickland try out with the football team his last year? For so reason I’m thinking he was with the receivers, but I could be wrong

Other than myself there are some solid candidates.
If you're looking solely at one sport, Verne Lewellen of Lincoln High and NU has to be up there. He is in both the college and NFL halls of fame and won championships in Green Bay with Curly Lambeau.
As for all-around Wow, so many ... Bob Gibson, Gale Sayers, Erick Strickland, John Sanders (RIP), others

He was born in Kansas. Is he still eligible?
Good point but lived most of his youth in Omaha..

He Potentially was the best running back before he injured his knee and ended his short lived career.

He had moves like Barry Sanders but a bigger back..

Good point but lived most of his youth in Omaha..

He Potentially was the best running back before he injured his knee and ended his short lived career.

He had moves like Barry Sanders but a bigger back..
It’s interesting that two of the greatest running backs of all time, and probably the two shiftiest of all time, (Sayers and Sanders) were born in the same town in Kansas.

Reactions: scarletred
No mention of Alex Gordon yet. Maybe not on the level of Gibson or Sayers but definitely a multi sport stud.

Erick Strickland comes to mind for me.

You don't get many dudes that can play football and basketball at at high level.

Turner Gill played was good enough to play pro football and baseball.

No he isn’t…
Gibson one of the all time greats. If you weren't in the batter's box ready to go every 7 seconds, next one was under your chin. I used to time him between pitches, 7 seconds like clockwork.

I remember Game 7 of I think the '68 Series he won 3 games, the 7th on 3 days rest and fanned 17. He threw and won Game 1, 4, and 7 with complete games.

Gibson had a 1.12 ERA that year. Pitchers were so dominant in '68 with the mound at 15", the following year they lowered the mound to 10".

Reactions: imluvnmyskers
Gibson one of the all time greats. If you weren't in the batter's box ready to go every 7 seconds, next one was under your chin. I used to time him between pitches, 7 seconds like clockwork.

I remember Game 7 of I think the '68 Series he won 3 games, the 7th on 3 days rest and fanned 17. He threw and won Game 1, 4, and 7 with complete games.

Gibson had a 1.12 ERA that year. Pitchers were so dominant in '68 with the mound at 15", the following year they lowered the mound to 10".
This isn’t about Bob Gibson.. my post was about Alex Gordon..

Sayers and Gibson are the top two..I seen the World Series that year except when I was in school it was during the day..

This isn’t about Bob Gibson.. my post was about Alex Gordon..

Sayers and Gibson are the top two..I seen the World Series that year except when I was in school it was during the day..
My reply was intended for Gordon not being on the same level as Gibson. Alex was a good player, but not on the same level as Gibson. I think I repeated myself.

I used transistor with plug in to my ear, during class. Willing to take a chance. Man how things have changed.

My reply was intended for Gordon not being on the same level as Gibson. Alex was a good player, but not on the same level as Gibson. I think I repeated myself.

I used transistor with plug in to my ear, during class. Willing to take a chance. Man how things have changed.
I’m not old enough to remember…was Gibson a 3 sport standout?

Gibson played basketball and baseball while in college.

Not sure if he ever played football in high school.

For that reason, I’d go with Strickland. A high level recruit in 3 sports.
Gibson made the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is a legend in MLB.

Did Strickland make any All-Conference or All-America teams?

I have to go with Gibby due to his baseball achievements.

Unless this post is limited to college performance.

He played 10 years in the NBA…not a lot of native Nebraskans with that sort of resume.

Didn’t Strickland try out with the football team his last year? For so reason I’m thinking he was with the receivers, but I could be wrong
Maybe. I don’t remember that. He quit football after his jr year in HS to focus on bb and baseball.

Danny Woodhead deserves mention - all state in soccer and basketball, and finished 5th in state track 100M. Not a bad football player either.
For football, sure. Finishing 5th at the Nebraska state track meet in the 100m is why he wasn’t highly recruited, not a reason he is the greatest athlete in Nebraska history.

Yah…wasn’t aware of Gibson’s all sports resume until somebody on this thread pointed it out to me. He definitely would have a legit claim for best (given what I’ve learned). I’m my following of college sports (since around 78), the best all-around athlete I remember is probably Strick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT