ADVERTISEMENT

Bench - Ouch

As somebody who spent more time cleaning out his fish tank than watching our basketball team this year (and I don't own any fish), what does our bench do that was worthy of this mention?

CBS giving NU the Don Rickles treatment.

giphy.gif

As somebody who spent more time cleaning out his fish tank than watching our basketball team this year (and I don't own any fish), what does our bench do that was worthy of this mention?
They did a lot of orchestrated routines following dunks, big three-pointers, etc., similar to what NFL teams used to do in the end zone after a TD. Not something I'm a huge fan of, but I don't see any reason for CBS to criticize them for it. I doubt they took time out from practice to work on their pantomime skills.

(EDIT: for anyone below who might be easily butthurt - when I say I'm not a huge fan, I don't mean they shouldn't have their fun on the bench. I just don't have a strong opinion on it one way or the other.)

Last edited:
CBS did a pregame feature on different bench traditions around the country. They included Nebraska and said “if these guys spent as much time trying to play basketball as they did on their bench we might still be seeing in them in March.” Ouch!

Pretty funny actually. With us crapping the bed...again...in the post-season, we deserve all this criticism.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Who knows...had the bench had their routines down a little tighter earlier in the season maybe it would have given us that extra lift to get by KU. :cool:

Nevertheless, I guarantee you that more time and effort has been put into this thread than that segment. It's called having an abundance of air time to fill. No need to wet your diapers over it.

Reactions: RedSea and saluno22
Not sure why CBS would want Miles fired.

I should've been more clear. I wasn't referring to CBS, I was referring to people on this board who are deeply offended by the bench having a good time. Probably the same people who cream their shorts whenever a defensive player "throws the bones", etc.

I should've been more clear. I wasn't referring to CBS, I was referring to people on this board who are deeply offended by the bench having a good time. Probably the same people who cream their shorts whenever a defensive player "throws the bones", etc.
Nobody here seems deeply offended, and you're the only one who said anything about firing Miles.

Every college team has deep subs who rarely play. But those guys work hard in practice every day and invest a lot of time and effort into the sport. So if they want to do cheer routines on the bench, so be it. If they don’t, that’s fine too - doesn’t really impact the results on the court one way or the other. And that seemed to be the opinion held by most here, until the alarm went off in Johnny SuperFan Land that said those terrible NU “fans” are trying to fire Timmy again! They need a good finger-wagging!

Last edited:
Why are they on the team, if not to score points, get rebounds, assist on baskets, play some defense? Why not just have an 8 or 9 man roster?

You ignored my first sentence, by the way.

And, no, I don't want Miles fired.

If you have an 8-9 man roster you cannot have good practices. I cannot believe this even has to be discussed. A high percentage of college teams have 16 man rosters with 8-9 playing most of the minutes. That does not mean a team can get by with only 8-9 guys on the roster. Pro teams have 12 on the roster (paying them) and 7-8 or less get the balance of minutes. This is the norm. But hey once again what do these programs know. You say get by with 8-9 so I guess they should!

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Johnny SuperFan, I like it. So... no one around here has been talking about wanting Miles gone? Okay, I guess I imagined it. I enjoyed the basketball season because it was wildly successful by our standards and I think next year could be better. But I haven't seen much positive said about the season. My bad.

Reactions: bigboxes
Why are they on the team, if not to score points, get rebounds, assist on baskets, play some defense? Why not just have an 8 or 9 man roster?
You can't practice with only 8 or 9 players. And while teams could (and do) have practice squad guys who don't even suit up for games, I would think it's hard to get decent players to show up every day if you don't even let them dress.

Johnny SuperFan, I like it. So... no one around here has been talking about wanting Miles gone? Okay, I guess I imagined it. I enjoyed the basketball season because it was wildly successful by our standards and I think next year could be better. But I haven't seen much positive said about the season. My bad.
So what's stopping you from saying something positive about the season, instead of squealing at everyone else about what terrible fans they are?

And nobody even mentioned Miles in this thread until you brought him up. If you don't like seeing that argument here, why did you choose to start it?

Bigboxes asked why the constant crapping on the team/season? I thought it was a good question. If you're not sophisticated enough to see the general crapping on everything Nebrasketball by some, I can't help you. Just because letters M-I-L-E-S wasn't typed in this SPECIFIC thread, doesn't mean I can't interpret the hand wringing about the bench (again, not just in THIS thread) as more piling on about the team/season. Or is it just the case that you're in charge of who can say what around here?

So what's stopping you from saying something positive about the season, instead of squealing at everyone else about what terrible fans they are?

And nobody even mentioned Miles in this thread until you brought him up. If you don't like seeing that argument here, why did you choose to start it?

You know what he's talking about. There's a certain clan on here that just won't let the board enjoy this season. The narrative is that this only postpones what many feel needs to be done.

Just because letters M-I-L-E-S wasn't typed in this SPECIFIC thread, doesn't mean I can't interpret the hand wringing about the bench (again, not just in THIS thread) as more piling on about the team/season.
As I said, I didn't much hand-wringing about the bench in this thread. The OP just reported what CBS said, which I found to be a bit of a cheap shot. You're certainly free to "interpret" the thread any damn way you please, so let me see if I understand it correctly:

You've chosen to bitch about people bitching about Miles, even when they're not bitching about Miles. But a sophisticated fan like YOU can read between the lines can see that these posters really just want Miles fired!

Sound about right?

You know what he's talking about. There's a certain clan on here that just won't let the board enjoy this season. The narrative is that this only postpones what many feel needs to be done.
Did that "clan" post in this thread?

My only reason for posting was to answer Lightspeed's question, and to explain why I thought CBS's remark was bit out of line and unnecessary.

But a sophisticated fan like YOU can read between the lines can see that these posters really just want Miles fired!

Sound about right?

Pretty close, but you don't have to be that sophisticated to see it.

Pretty close, but you don't have to be that sophisticated to see it.
Sorry to have tugged on your superfan cape, Johnny, but you win. Your finger wagging is duly noted:

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Ha ha, going to the GIF for the win. You really got this internet thing figured out, huh?

Facts? These guys combined for less than 6 points/game

Jack McVeigh 10 JR F 6-7 210 1.9 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Duby Okeke 0 SR C 6-8 230 0.8 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Tanner Borchardt 20 JR F 6-8 275 0.9 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Thorir Thorbjarnarson 34 FR G 6-5 194 0.9 Pts, 0.4 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Nana Akenten 25 FR G 6-6 215 1.0 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Malcolm Laws 3 SR G 6-1 195 0.2 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Johnny Trueblood 4 SO G 6-4 195 0.1 Pts, 0.4 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Justin Costello 33 G 6-1 180
Conveniently leaving off the top two bench players. I'm pretty sure you can grab the bottom 8 guys (including walk-ons) and find similar stats. Some people simply come from a place of negativity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT