ADVERTISEMENT

Beat MN, Purdue, and Wisconsin

HuskerAlum92

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 8, 2007
Here we are, 7 games into a 12 game season. We are 3-4, and 6th place in the 7 team western division. A familiar spot. Yet there is a notable sense of optimism for how we’ve played in the last 4 games, despite losing 3 of them. Many here believe that we are really a better team than the record indicates. I want to believe that too, but I can’t get over the losses. Good teams and good coaches win close games, and we just don’t. Winning matters.

If we are truly where we want to be, where many think we are, then we need to look at these games: MN, Purdue, and Wisconsin. These teams are not good this year. If we are any good at all, we should beat them. If we don’t, then we are not taking any steps forward. Can we beat these three teams? Yes, but will we?

Nebraska wins the next two games and they have a winning record (500%) in Big Ten play as we head into November. Second place in the Big Ten West can be won by anyone yet besides IL.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Let's look at the next weeks Big Ten West play and see how things could look.

This coming Saturday with projected conference records after games are completed:

Nebraska (2-3) vs Minnesota (1-2)
Northwestern (0-3) vs Rutgers
IL (1-4) vs Penn State
WI (1-2) no conference game
Purdue (1-2) vs Iowa (4-0)

If that is how this coming weekend results go, see how much that changes things already?

Nebraska would move into second place in the Big Ten West.

I'd argue that this MN game is more important for this season than the MI game was last night.

Here we are, 7 games into a 12 game season. We are 3-4, and 6th place in the 7 team western division. A familiar spot. Yet there is a notable sense of optimism for how we’ve played in the last 4 games, despite losing 3 of them. Many here believe that we are really a better team than the record indicates. I want to believe that too, but I can’t get over the losses. Good teams and good coaches win close games, and we just don’t. Winning matters.

If we are truly where we want to be, where many think we are, then we need to look at these games: MN, Purdue, and Wisconsin. These teams are not good this year. If we are any good at all, we should beat them. If we don’t, then we are not taking any steps forward. Can we beat these three teams? Yes, but will we?
Beating Wisconsin in Wisconsin would be a really good thing since we’ve never done it.

Then the following week the Big Ten West games are:

Nebraska (2-3) vs bye week
Northwestern (0-4) vs MI
IL (1-5) vs Rutgers
WI vs Purdue = one of these two teams moves to 2-2.
MN vs Maryland. Who knows how that game will go. Mn could move to 1-3 or 2-2.

So the point again, second place is wide open the rest of the conference season.

Beating Wisconsin in Wisconsin would be a really good thing since we’ve never done it.

Wisconsin's offense is bad but beating the Badgers is IMO a much tougher proposition than beating the Gophers or Purdue. Their defense is no joke. Not quite the accomplishment of taking down a ranked team, but it would still be a much needed bright spot in this season.

Wisconsin's offense is bad but beating the Badgers is IMO a much tougher proposition than beating the Gophers or Purdue. Their defense is no joke. Not quite the accomplishment of taking down a ranked team, but it would still be a much needed bright spot in this season.
Yep. We'll have to punt well and protect the ball. One mistake could mean a 7-3 loss.

Beating Gophers will not be an easy task. They have had two weeks to prepare. Game is an early start and NU looked emotionally and physically exhausted (defense that is) after last night's game.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Beating Gophers will not be an easy task. They have had two weeks to prepare. Game is an early start and NU looked emotionally and physically exhausted (defense that is) after last night's game.

With the Gophers next, followed with a bye, this game is a must win for bowl game hopes. Lose it, and Purdue will be a pressure-filled game just to avoid losing out. Hard to argue progress if that scenario plays out.

I have an idea…can Nebraska just focus on winning game number 4 before fans crown them to a bowl game?

So many people need to slow down…one step at a time.

Reactions: HBK4life
That's what I'm afraid of. That game last night was a doozy physically. Mentally I think we've learned how to rebound from these tough losses but with Minnesota coming off a bye it's gonna be a dogfight I'm afraid.

I thought the huskers would beat Michigan, so beating Minnesota and Purdue seems like a lock. Whisky may be a bit tougher.

Never any locks?

Minnesota beats Colorado 30-0, loses to Bowling Green at home, then takes care of business at Purdue.

Nebraska vs. Minnesota needs to be played to know how it will end.

Nebraska could easily have won every game this year. Is it 0-10 now for Coach Scott Frost teams?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT