ADVERTISEMENT

BB Tourney

jpile01

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2005
It is looking like some top notch teams will get bounced from the tourney. Moving snow listening
to ESPN, the Arizona coach is not coaching today, probably will be fired & indicted by the FBI on
several felony charges. Their star player who took the payoff will be declared ineligible, AU will have
to forfeit all their wins.

Looks like the hammer is just starting to fall on a lot of top programs, coaches & players. Will be an interesting couple of weeks, looks like the Huskers are definitely in the tourney with the scandal news.

Shocking to see how prevalent the scandal is thru out most of the major leagues. Spartans declare
Miles Bridges good to go, he took cash & Inproper benefits, I hope the NCAA steps in & hammers
The Spartans hard with this & the sex assault scandal. What a joke MSU is with their self serving
investigations.

I hope the heavy cheating programs get severely crippling sanctions, heavy loss of scholarships, fired coaches who will be banned by thr NCAA for life. No post season play for several years & heavy
fines, ineligible players who took benefits let alone facing felony charges by the FBI.

I think they should dismantle the sport academies & club team garbage that has festered & allowed
illegal deals etc.

Programs like ours that follows the rules should gain every advantage possible to become the new
power programs. Think of the transfers coming out of Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina, Auburn,
Arizona, USC, Wichita St, Spartans, & many more. Could be a hay day for the Huskers, record with
transfer players r good, facilities, support, fans, etc could be a bonanza for us.

Reactions: ExxHusker
NCAA will have to act, FBI will make it happen, FBI & congress will make sure of it.

Don’t be so sure Nebraska is clean. Nebraska hasn’t been named yet but it sounds like paying players is the norm everywhere.

There were several rumors of this happening when Danny Nee was coaching. I hope we at clean because these men’s reputations are over.

Reactions: Huskercigar
these men’s reputations are over.
Don't be too sure about that. Thirty years ago Eddie Sutton got caught FedExing a big envelope of cash to one recruit's dad and hiring someone to take the SAT test for a recruit who wasn't going to qualify. He sat out one year and was welcomed right back into the game.

Maybe it will be different this time because the FBI is involved. But unless some of these guys actually go to prison, I won't be at all surprised to see them back on the sidelines, with TV announcers still slobbering about how they are great leaders of young men.

Last edited:
Don’t be so sure Nebraska is clean. Nebraska hasn’t been named yet but it sounds like paying players is the norm everywhere.

There were several rumors of this happening when Danny Nee was coaching. I hope we at clean because these men’s reputations are over.

If you pay players and still cant win an NCAA tourney game, you deserve the death penalty. Not the program....the coach.

NCAA will have to act, FBI will make it happen, FBI & congress will make sure of it.
Congress? I suppose so. I don't think the NCAA pumped millions into the coffers of very many Congressmen so yeah, I guess Congress would get involved beyond the usual dog and pony show (call people in for hearings, dress them down publicly and then proceed to do absolutely nothing about the problem).

As much as I would love to see Sean Miller frog-

Don't be too sure about that. Thirty years ago Eddie Sutton got caught FedExing a big envelope of cash to one recruit's dad and hiring someone to take the SAT test for a recruit who wasn't going to qualify. He sat out one year and was welcomed right back into the game.

Maybe it will be different this time because the FBI is involved. But unless some of these guys actually go to prison, I won't be at all surprised to see them back on the sidelines, with TV announcers still slobbering about how they are great leaders of young men.
It's tough to coach from prison.... The Feds aren't messing around with this.

It's tough to coach from prison.... The Feds aren't messing around with this.
"Maybe it will be different this time because the FBI is involved. But unless some of these guys actually go to prison, I won't be at all surprised to see them back on the sidelines, with TV announcers still slobbering about how they are great leaders of young men."

Reactions: dinglefritz
"Maybe it will be different this time because the FBI is involved. But unless some of these guys actually go to prison, I won't be at all surprised to see them back on the sidelines, with TV announcers still slobbering about how they are great leaders of young men."
When you start getting warrants to do wiretaps, somebody is pretty serious about pursuing this. All it takes is one young prosecutor wanting to make a name for himself to really stir the pot now. IF it were a sitting Secretary of State or former President we were talking about, nothing would happen but basketball coaches have no power over the Justice Department.

It is looking like some top notch teams will get bounced from the tourney. Moving snow listening
to ESPN, the Arizona coach is not coaching today, probably will be fired & indicted by the FBI on
several felony charges. Their star player who took the payoff will be declared ineligible, AU will have

Looks like the hammer is just starting to fall on a lot of top programs, coaches & players. Will be an interesting couple of weeks, looks like the Huskers are definitely in the tourney with the scandal news.

Shocking to see how prevalent the scandal is thru out most of the major leagues. Spartans declare
Miles Bridges good to go, he took cash & Inproper benefits, I hope the NCAA steps in & hammers
The Spartans hard with this & the sex assault scandal. What a joke MSU is with their self serving
investigations.

I hope the heavy cheating programs get severely crippling sanctions, heavy loss of scholarships, fired coaches who will be banned by thr NCAA for life. No post season play for several years & heavy
fines, ineligible players who took benefits let alone facing felony charges by the FBI.

I think they should dismantle the sport academies & club team garbage that has festered & allowed
illegal deals etc.

Programs like ours that follows the rules should gain every advantage possible to become the new
power programs. Think of the transfers coming out of Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina, Auburn,
Arizona, USC, Wichita St, Spartans, & many more. Could be a hay day for the Huskers, record with
transfer players r good, facilities, support, fans, etc could be a bonanza for us.
Get a life.

investigations.

illegal deals etc.

You may be one of the most naive posters I have encountered lately. Do you really think the NCAA is going to ban teams from this coming tourney? Especially the blue blood teams? If you are waiting on "crippling sanctions" to occur I'd suggest you will be waiting a long time. If you are waiting on teams to be banned so your team can get in the tourney you will be most likely disappointed.

I don’t think teams will be banned this year. But I hope like hell that this practice of under the table bribing goes away. Whether it’s replaced with legal payment or not, I think as fans of a sport, everyone wants a fair playing field.

I also have no idea how widespread this issue is. Does it happen everywhere? Literally?

If so, or even if at a large scale, I hope things get cleared up.

Reactions: saluno22
I don’t think teams will be banned this year. But I hope like hell that this practice of under the table bribing goes away. Whether it’s replaced with legal payment or not, I think as fans of a sport, everyone wants a fair playing field.

I also have no idea how widespread this issue is. Does it happen everywhere? Literally?

Good post. I think all good basketball fans want to see this fixed.

Last edited:

Never going to happen. This has been going on for decades and any time there is large sums of money on the line, people will try to cheat. College athletics is big business with very little patience for losing. Under the table deals will continue until it is acceptable to pay them out in the open

Never going to happen. This has been going on for decades and any time there is large sums of money on the line, people will try to cheat. College athletics is big business with very little patience for losing. Under the table deals will continue until it is acceptable to pay them out in the open

If they want to treat it as a professional league then force a draft and get rid of the bribing platform..

If they want to treat it as a professional league then force a draft and get rid of the bribing platform..

You can’t draft kids into college. It’s their education and they get a choice of where they want to go as long as they are required to make grades and need to qualify academically. But you can start paying them and reduce the incentive to paying. I think the FBI being involved changes things quite a bit. If the federal charges stick (which trying these people as committing federal crimes seems to be a stretch), then the NCAA might be forced to change their rules, as their rules are suddenly putting 16-18 year old kids in jeopardy of committing federal crimes. Seems ridiculous to put kids in that position when a simple rule change can protect them from becoming felons.

Reactions: davecisar
You can’t draft kids into college. It’s their education and they get a choice of where they want to go as long as they are required to make grades and need to qualify academically. But you can start paying them and reduce the incentive to paying. I think the FBI being involved changes things quite a bit. If the federal charges stick (which trying these people as committing federal crimes seems to be a stretch), then the NCAA might be forced to change their rules, as their rules are suddenly putting 16-18 year old kids in jeopardy of committing federal crimes. Seems ridiculous to put kids in that position when a simple rule change can protect them from becoming felons.

Paying them does no good because the platform still exists to bribe them to your school. If we want to play the semi professional game by paying for more than an education in exchange for your athletic ability then you treat it the same as a professional league and draft. I'm not saying I disagree with you, just that paying them over the counter rather than under the counter only offers them money over the counter while money under will continue to flow. Everyone is going to pay the same so the extra incentive comes from under the table which puts us right back at square one. It's a platform built to bribe, I don't see how paying them will remedy the system itself.

Reactions: davecisar
You can’t draft kids into college. Most of them will never play pro ball and will have to rely on their college education for the rest of their lives. Kids can’t be forced to attend a school they don’t want to attend and possibly not have access to a degree they want. The only way you can do that is to separate it from the school it’s self (aka end college athletics).

Rules have to change or we are going to end up with college coaches and top athletes in federal prison just because they violated the NCAA ameuteur eligibility status. That’s dumb. Giving them a sizable paycheck for playing will at least eliminate some of the benefit of paying. Most kids aren’t taking six figure payouts, and giving them $10-20k a year spending money is enough for them to live and not risk prison for more.

You may be one of the most naive posters I have encountered lately. Do you really think the NCAA is going to ban teams from this coming tourney? Especially the blue blood teams? If you are waiting on "crippling sanctions" to occur I'd suggest you will be waiting a long time. If you are waiting on teams to be banned so your team can get in the tourney you will be most likely disappointed.

Read the article on Yahoo Sports, we are talking about felony charges on major coaches. U can not dodge
the Dept of Justice, they are going to put the hammer down.

If anyone is naive i5 is you, the tourney is in two weeks. I think you will see one major developments happening soon. Do you think Arizona is going to the dance after forfeiting all their wins for cheating &
Playing an ineligible player that took the bribe? There is no way, will be more, they need to send a message
to the rest of the cheaters, game over for the programs, coaches & players who cheated!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT