ADVERTISEMENT

Banker a HC candidate at Hawaii?

oh-yeah-gif-obama.gif

I would imagine it is June Jones's job if he wants it...But Banker would be a fool to pass it up...a 5 year deal at over a million a year...

Of the candidates on that list I would say he probably has the least impressive resume.

Reactions: studed
No way he leaves now... He and Riley are tight and I don't think he will leave Riley just like I don't believe Riley will fire him. Just my two cents worth

Of the candidates on that list I would say he probably has the least impressive resume.

Which probably works in his favor for getting the job. Anyone with a more impressive resume would be overqualified. Koetter, Jones, Hill are ridiculous IMO. Dino Babers? He could have a Power 5 gig next year if he wants it. Realistically it's either then assistant coach who's already there anyway, or a guy who's choices are the Hawaii job or getting fired at his current gig.

Which probably works in his favor for getting the job. Anyone with a more impressive resume would be overqualified. Koetter, Jones, Hill are ridiculous IMO. Dino Babers? He could have a Power 5 gig next year if he wants it. Realistically it's either then assistant coach who's already there anyway, or a guy who's choices are the Hawaii job or getting fired at his current gig.

I actually think the Oregon State - D Coordinator could be the lock there, but we will see I suppose.

Which probably works in his favor for getting the job. Anyone with a more impressive resume would be overqualified. Koetter, Jones, Hill are ridiculous IMO.

Jones was their HC like 5 years ago. On what planet is it ridiculous that he would go back?

He led them to the greatest run in the history of their program and would have had a contract for life if SMU hadn't thrown a boatload of money at him.

Wait a second... why isn't Mark on that list???

Oh... that's right. RollingLaugh

Shoot June Jones even play at the H...I think it is his unless he pissed people off.

Dino Babers is a flat out star in the making.
PJ Fleck MIGHT...just MIGHT...be the best recruiting HC that no one knows about

Just give him some players and I think we will see a much different defense. There is a reason Michigan State went to OSU to learn about their C4 concepts

Reactions: GeauxBigRed
That's incredible,,, when?
I think it was a summer or 2 ago. DAntonio mentioned spending several days with Riley at OSU in his interview on I think Sports Nightly a day or two ago. I think they might have taken their whole staff out there.

I think it was a summer or 2 ago. DAntonio mentioned spending several days with Riley at OSU in his interview on I think Sports Nightly a day or two ago. I think they might have taken their whole staff out there.

I heard that. I imagine they compared ideas and when Mich State returned home they said, now we know what not to do.

I heard that. I imagine they compared ideas and when Mich State returned home they said, now we know what not to do.
cmon man, you know MSU runs very similar schemes to Banker. The diff is that they've had first round draft picks on their D. My Vikes drafted one of their corners in the 1st round .

cmon man, you know MSU runs very similar schemes to Banker. The diff is that they've had first round draft picks on their D. My Vikes drafted one of their corners in the 1st round .
MSU also ran tight press coverage under Narduzzi, not sure if it is the same now. I still fail to see why we don't jam the wide receivers at the line of scrimmage. That is one of the main problems with our pass D. I agree that personnel may also be an issue.

MSU also ran tight press coverage under Narduzzi, not sure if it is the same now. I still fail to see why we don't jam the wide receivers at the line of scrimmage. That is one of the main problems with our pass D. I agree that personnel may also be an issue.
You've got to have physical corners that can successfully do that. I repeat, the Vikings took one of MSU's corners in the first round. Do you see any 1st round corners on our D that can play tight press coverage? I don't. Maybe some of the younger guys will be able to in the future, but right now we don't have that kind of talent on the roster IMO. THAT is one of the reason Bo protected our corners with his scheme designed to prevent deep passes. Yeah it made us weak against the run, but it hid our weakness at corner.

You've got to have physical corners that can successfully do that. I repeat, the Vikings took one of MSU's corners in the first round. Do you see any 1st round corners on our D that can play tight press coverage? I don't. Maybe some of the younger guys will be able to in the future, but right now we don't have that kind of talent on the roster IMO. THAT is one of the reason Bo protected our corners with his scheme designed to prevent deep passes. Yeah it made us weak against the run, but it hid our weakness at corner.

Damon's said it, NFL folks have said it, pretty much anyone who is anyone has said it. If you are going to play press, you are playing from a position of catch up right out of the gate. After you get that jam, you have to get back in that guys hip.

I don't mind if we play press or don't (I'd probably prefer it), but we have to understand the tradeoff there. It may not automagically make our corners any closer to the receiver at the time of the pass.

Reactions: WHCSC
Damon's said it, NFL folks have said it, pretty much anyone who is anyone has said it. If you are going to play press, you are playing from a position of catch up right out of the gate. After you get that jam, you have to get back in that guys hip.

I don't mind if we play press or don't (I'd probably prefer it), but we have to understand the tradeoff there. It may not automagically make our corners any closer to the receiver at the time of the pass.

Automagically-don't see that word very often..very nice.

I do agree with dingle here in this case. Our corners are behind them either way. They let the receivers run free and just basically follow them around. If you are at least jamming them, you disrupt timing and allow more time for your blitz or just normal rush to get home--and we all know that pressure on the QB is not a bad thing.

There is a big difference between being a well coached defense and calling some of the same plays.

Playing press would be great but you have to create a pass rush at some point to help them out.

There is no way he leaves with what they are building in Lincoln. Smokin Just ask Eichorst

great players make for good coaches. Ask Charlie and Tom.

Compare the last defense that Cosgrove had and then compare them to Bo's defense his first year-a lot of the same players. Then compare Bo's defense last year with the numbers of the defense this year-again a lot of the same players.

Coaches matter a lot more than players. It is not an accident that good coaches win wherever they go. (No I am not saying Bo was a good coach-I am saying that Banker and Cosgrove are worse coaches)

Not sure it would matter much, because if Banker leaves, Riley would just promote Hank Hughes.

Those that don't think coaching matters, look at how much UNC has improved under Chizik this year. Had we made a DC hire like that, I'd have a lot more optimism about Riley's future here.

Compare the last defense that Cosgrove had and then compare them to Bo's defense his first year-a lot of the same players. Then compare Bo's defense last year with the numbers of the defense this year-again a lot of the same players.

Coaches matter a lot more than players. It is not an accident that good coaches win wherever they go. (No I am not saying Bo was a good coach-I am saying that Banker and Cosgrove are worse coaches)

Ummm.

Not sure it would matter much, because if Banker leaves, Riley would just promote Hank Hughes.

Those that don't think coaching matters, look at how much UNC has improved under Chizik this year. Had we made a DC hire like that, I'd have a lot more optimism about Riley's future here.

Chizik's defense at UNC is even more amazing considering he's saddled with toxic losers like Papuchis and Warren.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT