ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news for breakfast cereal

In the 1890s, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg and his brother, W.K. Kellogg, invented their signature Corn Flakes cereal in Battle Creek, Michigan. Dr. Kellogg was a devout Seventh-day Adventist who advocated against any form of sexual activity, while also promoting a vegetarian diet, leading to experimentation with grains. Dr. Kellogg also ran the Battle Creek Sanitarium — a world-famous medical wellness spa where his patients stuck to diets of all bland foods.

Reactions: king_kong_
What royally sucks is the high paying jobs that will go away here when that happens. I was engaged to a chick several years back who worked there and gawd damn do they pay well. Yes they work you to death, but they paid you for it. She was making $125(ish) ...downside is she'd go 3 weeks straight without a day off but there aren't to many jobs you can make that at...and it didn't require a degree.

I don't know why they closed and don't care enough to research it, but I know their employees like to hold the plant hostage with strikes every once and a while...cannot help but wonder if that had sumthin to do with it. Pretty sure, if I remember correctly, they were unionized, which i'm also pretty sure didn't help their cause.

Regardless, that sucks for them and Omaha.

Reactions: dinglefritz
What royally sucks is the high paying jobs that will go away here when that happens. I was engaged to a chick several years back who worked there and gawd damn do they pay well. Yes they work you to death, but they paid you for it. She was making $125(ish) ...downside is she'd go 3 weeks straight without a day off but there aren't to many jobs you can make that at...and it didn't require a degree.

I don't know why they closed and don't care enough to research it, but I know their employees like to hold the plant hostage with strikes every once and a while...cannot help but wonder if that had sumthin to do with it. Pretty sure, if I remember correctly, they were unionized, which i'm also pretty sure didn't help their cause.

Regardless, that sucks for them and Omaha.
Congratulations union bosses. I’m sure your donations to the leftists will help your soon to be unemployed members. Good thing you squeezed every drop you could out of them.

Congratulations union bosses. I’m sure your donations to the leftists will help your soon to be unemployed members. Good thing you squeezed every drop you could out of them.
Nice that you could inject your usual knee-jerk rant, but Kellogg's is shifting production to Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ontario, where big labor surely holds more sway than in Omaha.

Once upon a time, it made sense to produce cereal close to where your raw material was located. Now it's easier to concentrate production closer to where your finished products are distributed and consumed. I'm guessing that's exactly what Kellogg's is doing, and that whatever labor headaches they have to deal with are not being eased in the slightest.

Reactions: 90sman
Nice that you could inject your usual knee-jerk rant, but Kellogg's is shifting production to Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ontario, where big labor surely holds more sway than in Omaha.

Once upon a time, it made sense to produce cereal close to where your raw material was located. Now it's easier to concentrate production closer to where your finished products are distributed and consumed. I'm guessing that's exactly what Kellogg's is doing, and that whatever labor headaches they have to deal with are not being eased in the slightest.
It does not help that there has been a significant decline in demand for cereal for the past 2 years, and increased competition from cheaper store brands.

Reactions: schuele
It does not help that there has been a significant decline in demand for cereal for the past 2 years, and increased competition from cheaper store brands.
That's a good point as well. People are looking for ways to trim their grocery bills and store brands have benefited. I don't eat a ton of cereal, but enough to notice that name-brand cereals are one product category that is absolutely never, ever on sale.

I most definitely buy the store brand whenever possible. I'm not going to pay six plus dollars a box. That's for the more affluent members of our board!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT