ADVERTISEMENT

No longer a Rumor - Bad news for the OL

I think Barney did okay with some of the crappy players Bo made him play but Raiola’s recruiting is light years ahead of Barney’s. And yes I thought Barney was a better coach than most thought.
how come none of DR's recruits can beat out these bum OTs?

they’re younger and Frost was a tough sell at the end.
I forgot that donny has had 1 extra year to recruit compared to his contemporaries.

year 3 for him now and we're still starting guys on the OL who committed to frost before donny got here.

yuck

Who’s developing the players? The coaches, I assume.

Brix is a true freshman, so it’s hard to blame the coaches for him not being ready.
I know who's developing the players

I asked who's developing the developers (coaches)

our OL coach has been coaching our starting LT for 3 years now. has he gotten any better?

and for the "he's playing out of position!!" crowd - why, 3 years later, is this still the case?

I know who's developing the players

I asked who's developing the developers (coaches)

our OL coach has been coaching our starting LT for 3 years now. has he gotten any better?
Our starting LT just tore his ACL. For the third time. So that’s hard to get much development.

The back up LT has also been injured quite a bit. I sure hope he is improved.

For the backups, they’re all young. And I hope they’re to step up and develop.

I assume the coaches also have mentors, go to clinics and speak to others. So that would be the direct answer to your question. Who those are specifically, I am unsure.

Also, we should have some assistant OL coaches out there now too.

Time for those highly ranked recruits to step up. We’ve had true freshman play on the O line before. Rarely but it’s happened.
Rik Bonhness, Jake Young come to mind. We also had Benhart...But, other than the snap situation Jurgens became a helluva player by the time he was a Jr.
Maybe Brix is the future at LT in the unlikely event we get Sanders.
I know Knaack has experience at Utah, but I'd rather roll with the highly regarded young kid.

There are a two TE recruits on the roster who were labeled as inline blocker types. Not sure how ready either of those guys are to play. And I agree with your post. I think there's something to be said for playing a fullback. Very few teams use them anymore and the smaller linebackers of today's game want nothing to do with a hard nosed fullback as a lead blocker. The tough part is convincing OC's to use them more often.
The game has changed, but NU had some decent success with blocking fullbacks for a few decades.

We need another Tom Rathman. Other than his issue with a fumble or two, he was a devastating blocker, and could take it to the house. That type athlete is out there somewhere.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Sanders would be a huge get at maybe our most needed spot at this point. Whatever Tenn is offering we need to beat it.
We do have some good young guys but the better rated recruits are all in the last class and will need a year or two.
Tennessee is having one helluva recruiting year.

Give me the checkbook and let me go shopping around. You have to show Sanders how much you want and need him in this program.

Last edited:
At this point I’d take Barney back… watching some of the games from the Pelini era at least sometimes our OL just erased guys from the other team
Today, we are more likely to see two of our OL run right into each other

We shall see if that improves this season or if tweaks are made to the offense now that Thomas is here.
Much of the time Benhart is looking for someone to block while the play is in motion.

Rik Bonhness, Jake Young come to mind. We also had Benhart...But, other than the snap situation Jurgens became a helluva player by the time he was a Jr.
Maybe Brix is the future at LT in the unlikely event we get Sanders.
I know Knaack has experience at Utah, but I'd rather roll with the highly regarded young kid.

Don’t forget about this Nebraska/NFL legend.

cgwmbtpssoagckg-20020807213351.jpg

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
Our starting LT just tore his ACL. For the third time. So that’s hard to get much development.

The back up LT has also been injured quite a bit. I sure hope he is improved.

For the backups, they’re all young. And I hope they’re to step up and develop.

I assume the coaches also have mentors, go to clinics and speak to others. So that would be the direct answer to your question. Who those are specifically, I am unsure.

Also, we should have some assistant OL coaches out there now too.
Teddy has torn each ACL once and injured both shoulders.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
we hired the wrong UCF staffer
please. Lets look at the numbers and the facts like you say....

Heupel and Norvell were run out of Oklahoma after a 40-6 blowout loss to Clemson, replaced by Lincoln Riley. He went to Utah St for a year and went 6-7 in the MWC in 2015. In 2016 and 2017 at Mizzou led the offense to 4-8 and 7-6 records, took over for Frost and went 12-1, 10-3 and 6-4. For whatever reason Tennessee hired him with that record and at Tennessee he has gone, 7-6, 11-2, 9-4. They have an over under number of 8 or 8 1/2 in 2024.

Probably better than Frost, but had Nebraska hired Heupel in 2018 rather than Frost, please that is the text book definition of revisionist history.

Reactions: JOHNNY N

Heupel and Norvell were run out of Oklahoma after a 40-6 blowout loss to Clemson, replaced by Lincoln Riley. He went to Utah St for a year and went 6-7 in the MWC in 2015. In 2016 and 2017 at Mizzou led the offense to 4-8 and 7-6 records, took over for Frost and went 12-1, 10-3 and 6-4. For whatever reason Tennessee hired him with that record and at Tennessee he has gone, 7-6, 11-2, 9-4. They have an over under number of 8 or 8 1/2 in 2024.

Probably better than Frost, but had Nebraska hired Heupel in 2018 rather than Frost, please that is the text book definition of revisionist history.
"for whatever reason"

Laughing

"for whatever reason"

Laughing
There was no chance Nebraska was hiring the Missouri OC coming off a 7-6 record when Frost was coming off an undefeated season and a Sugar Bowl victory. That is a not debatable.

Then had Nebraska fired Frost after year 3 and hired Heupel after he took Frost's UCF teams from 12 wins to 6, this board and the Nebraska people would have lost their ever loving minds.

The stars never lined up for Heupel to be the coach here. To write that Nebraska hired the wrong UCF staffer, and be serious about it, is just trolling.

How can you not like a coach who shuts out Iowa 35-0?

There was no chance Nebraska was hiring the Missouri OC coming off a 7-6 record when Frost was coming off an undefeated season and a Sugar Bowl victory. That is a not debatable.

Then had Nebraska fired Frost after year 3 and hired Heupel after he took Frost's UCF teams from 12 wins to 6, this board and the Nebraska people would have lost their ever loving minds.

The stars never lined up for Heupel to be the coach here. To write that Nebraska hired the wrong UCF staffer, and be serious about it, is just trolling.
Husker fans losing their minds has been status quo for almost 3 decades.

• Haha

to reply this vivaciously to an obvious jest, and be serious about it, is just funny.

mid-season form, Tuco. love it!

There's a Husker fan on Twitter who broke down the tape of the line play, seems to know what he's talking about, and if I remember right he said TE play, namely inline blocking was the biggest problem on offense besides QB. He said that the offensive line often took the blame for the sh*tty blocking of our TEs.
he's right. Those dudes got abused a bunch last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT