ADVERTISEMENT

Bad Luck Self Imposed

pascal

Sophomore
Aug 26, 2022
Before the beginning season, Matt Rhule just up and declares Tristan Alvano as our place kicker.
We can argue luck versus competence but this one decision has nothing to do with those things.

We already had a pretty good place kicker, why was he cast aside?

As it is, Alvano finished near the bottom in accuracy, 104th. He has a strong leg, but fails in accuracy. Some of them are off by quite a bit.

Seems like a lot of our problems this year were self imposed.

Last edited:
I texted my friend I always text during games and wrote that I didn’t think he would make his first FG. Hell, I had no confidence he would make his second try. Huskers made football hard this season. Trotted out an unreliable kicker, threw an interception or fumble at the most inopportune time and the normally solid D gave up a drive at the worst time in the game.

Rhule wasn't really worried about year 1 IMO....doesnt mean he wanted to lose but he is a big picture person. Knows that getting Tristan reps now will pay off.

End of the day Nebraska had 31 turnovers this year. That is why we went 5-7
I can think of a number of things that have nothing to do with future development that were employed this year that would give them a losing record.
I swear we experience a storm that blows down our house then watch another storm come at us and we deny the obvious.

And explain to me how the Jeff Sims fiasco was building for the future?
I'd really like to hear this.

Question
The portal is a bank of players that can get contacted by multiple teams correct?
If so how do we know that Rhule didn't contact others and nobody was interested?
Maybe Sims was basically the 1 that would say yes. Hypothetical Question of course.
So to say Rhule failed is a possible misconception as Sims said yes and nobody else would even consider the possibility.
Just a thought is all

Reactions: WHCSC
Question
The portal is a bank of players that can get contacted by multiple teams correct?
If so how do we know that Rhule didn't contact others and nobody was interested?
Maybe Sims was basically the 1 that would say yes. Hypothetical Question of course.
So to say Rhule failed is a possible misconception as Sims said yes and nobody else would even consider the possibility.
Just a thought is all
A portal QB at Arkansas seemed to have been contacted as well. He was fast but his numbers weren't great and I don't know what happened to him. Needless to say he didn't come to NU.

Didn't the Arkansas QB possibly want to play receiver?
I can't remember what transpired other than yes he was contacted.

Question
Just a thought is all
He's getting a top ten salary for a reason. If Rhule has limited capabilities then why did we throw all that money at him? Did anyone else even want him?

I am a stat guy so I thought maybe I should know exactly what I am writing about and not just going on emotion. Tristian was 60% on his FG attempts. He only attempted 15 and made 9. He was 100% on his PAT kicks.
the fg kicker is not our issue - losing possessions on TO's is the MAJOR issue

Reactions: TOMHP and Wasker77
Maybe they went away from Bleekrode too soon. 79% career accuracy in some of those one score games might have had us bowling this year. But hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: Yantzeee
Maybe they went away from Bleekrode too soon. 79% career accuracy in some of those one score games might have had us bowling this year. But hindsight is 20/20.
I would assume it was a competition. Sims looks like the better quarterback in practice when he had a idea of what the defense was, When he wasn’t about to get creamed by the DL, When it didn’t count. So he starts. HH is more decisive, handled pressure, won some games, But when D’s figured out he wasn’t accurate, and you just had to limit his ability to scramble, and he got hurt – things went south. CP was hurt, rehabbing his shoulder, groin injury, on the scout team…….
So-5-7 not a shock.

Reactions: Frozone
Hindsight?

You don't pay the six million dollar man to do some crappy work and then drag out the hindsight scenario.
Yes, you have a nearly 80 percent fg kicker and blow him off? That ain't hindsight, it's arrogance.

Hindsight?

You don't pay the six million dollar man to do some crappy work and then drag out the hindsight scenario.
Yes, you have a nearly 80 percent fg kicker and blow him off? That ain't hindsight, it's arrogance.
When it comes to Special Teams and offense, Matt Rhule is pretty much Jim Cramer from mad money. Bet heavy against what he says and you’ll be profitable

Matt’s 5 years and a buyout away from being an offensive line coach in the NFL. Where he probably belongs. Hope I’m wrong

Before the beginning season, Matt Rhule just up and declares Tristan Alvano as our place kicker.
We can argue luck versus competence but this one decision has nothing to do with those things.

As it is, Alvano finished near the bottom in accuracy, 104th. He has a strong leg, but fails in accuracy. Some of them are off by quite a bit.

Fully agree. Starting a Freshman as the kicker made no sense as the other guy was generally reliable. Some of the decision made by the coaching staff this year were certainly questionable.

Reactions: regionsdoc

Maybe Rhule was looking to the long term unlike most of us. Imo, HCMR was less interested in getting to a bowl this year than he was in doing a good job evaluating and developing players so as show significant improvement in year two. For a team as flawed as we were that really makes sense to me.

Reactions: blackshirts
Fully agree. Starting a Freshman as the kicker made no sense as the other guy was generally reliable. Some of the decision made by the coaching staff this year were certainly questionable.
matt has a good football mind, not great all around. Some areas he is brilliant and some areas he really struggles. He doesn’t hire outside of his circle so he’s not going to get a lot of push back or a different view on things so those areas he does struggle with will continue to be issues.

He’s a very charismatic guy. He knows how to win people over by playing the “nice guy”. He learned to talk to an audience watching his pop talk from his pulpit and basically learned how to act. I mean how else does a guy who only has 2 to 3 solid seasons under his belt in a ten year span land an 8 year/ $74MM contract? But yet Jamey and other winning coaches aren’t anywhere close to that. Matt Got that silver tongue working, that’s how.

He's getting a top ten salary for a reason. If Rhule has limited capabilities then why did we throw all that money at him? Did anyone else even want him?
He was the best coach available during the coaching carousel. Unless of course, we wanted to take a chance on a G5 coach like Jamey Chadwell.

I think they were running neck and neck in the competition in practice and Alvano has the bigger leg and more potential so he went with him.

Tbh I think Rhule thought he would win enough games to keep people off his back while playing for the future at kicker. Not hard to imagine having a really good kicker and punter a couple years. I'm guessing Koch's kid won't suck.

Reactions: mikecanale
When it comes to Special Teams and offense, Matt Rhule is pretty much Jim Cramer from mad money. Bet heavy against what he says and you’ll be profitable

Matt’s 5 years and a buyout away from being an offensive line coach in the NFL. Where he probably belongs. Hope I’m wrong

If he knows enough about offensive line play to be a coach in the NFL how do you explain our offensive line play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT