ADVERTISEMENT

Audibles

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
Am I making this up, or does our offense not check out of plays? I end up watching a lot of games on DVR so sometimes I'm fast-forwarding through the pre-snap stuff, but I feel like I don't see audibles being called, protections being changed, etc.

The failed counter play is a perfect example. You have the LB just fire through the gap between DE and DT on the left side of the line IMMEDIATELY and nobody touches him. LT blocks the DE while TE runs off to the second level and doesn't touch anyone. I watched that over and over and went, "Really? There's just nothing in place to prevent that play from being run down from the back side of the interior like that?"

Aaron Semm tipped me off to this, I started just counting numbers pre-snap from some run plays that got blown up. They are running to that side of the field when they are at a 1.5 man disadvantage sometimes. You mean to tell me the QB can't look at that and flip the play or check to backside counter, check to a PA drag to the TE coming back across the formation? It's embarrassing.

I predicted that counter play out of the motion into offset I-formation just about every time they ran it. I played zero snaps of padded football game action in my life and have coached zero games. If I know it's coming...do ya think the DC and players noticed it in film study???

There was another where they slide the DL left, Jaimes was out there dancing by himself while a free runner came around the left end and pounded Lee. There's no check to slide that protection left? Like...playstation games have that but NU doesn't?

I believe you are correct. I don't blatantly see any audibles (or even fake ones). Could be they don't trust the QB or Riley just doesn't want it as an option in his system.

GBR

I have a lot of respect for any 20-something guy who can attempt to manage a team, audible, take the snap, then hand it off securely or throw a precision pass. Oh, yeah, in front of 86,000 watching my every move. I know I couldn't do it and I appreciate Tanner Lee for trying. My only frustration is maybe POB could do it better. But we will never know will we?

Good observation on the lack of audibles, even a lack of line protection shift calls.
Did any of you catch the Washington Redskins game last night? Oakland has a great pass rush attack with Bruce Irvin and K Mack. I was never a big fan of Capt. Cousins but to watch him and the line work together on these line calls/protection audibles was a thing of beauty to watch. Alot of times the play clock would be at 05,04 seconds or less before the snap with Washington getting into the correct protection. Collinsworth does a great job of making these points during the broadcast fwiw
Cousins killed Oakland when they brought pressure last night.
Nebraska ain't killing anybody but themselves with their line play/qb play so far. Protected him better last game but as OP pointed out there's alot left to be desired. It "doesn't look like football" on offense yet. Not a "good picture" yet

Great point BroskiRed. You have to attack blitzes and find ways to make them pay. Our NFL coordinator should know that.

HW-Yes, we'll 100% eventually know if O Brien is as good Lee. Might not be this year, might not be the next either, but eventually we'll know.

GBR

Martz ran a "no audibles" system in Chicago and I thought Cutler might actually fight him on the field he would get so frustrated with his inability to check out of a doomed play. The arrogance of a system like that. "No, my play call is always correct. If it doesn't work that's because you guys didn't do your job. So do your job and we shouldn't need any audibles."

What do you expect if you count up the numbers to one side of the field and you're running 5 guys into 6.5 defenders? You gotta be able to check out of it. It makes me wonder if it's part of this bait-and-switch stuff the staff is trying to use. They show that a bunch of times, run it even if it's screwed, and then late in the game hope to hit a home run off the adjustment. For me that's not a winning formula.

It occurred to me when I was reading a piece about triple option and used NU vs UF as an example of what Frazier's reads were and some of his checks and adjustments. I went, "Wait a minute...I don't think I've seen Lee check out of a play pre-snap..."

You hear it like crazy on Sundays. Manning was famous for it. Most teams are smart enough to know that a good play call on paper is a bad one on the field if you run it into the teeth of the defense.

You can call passing plays that do not require a check - if everyone reads the D correctly the line will adjust the protection and receivers will go to option routes - one of which (or more) will give the QB a quick outlet pass to avoid the blitz.
I agree I don't see much in the way of checks on run plays our out of run plays to pass. Which is so different than what we used to see - Gill was probably the master of getting us into the right play from QBs in the Osborne offense.

I thought I heard the call. "RUNZA- RUNZA" or "HOT DOG-HOT DOG" Does that count?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT